Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1683 1684 [1685] 1686 1687 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120035 times)

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #25260 on: September 05, 2012, 05:57:52 am »

So, basically, this is a problem because I have a bajillion different kinds of bone/shell/tooth/hoof/what-have-you?
Oh well, on the positive side, the ridiculously embellished ☼«+dog bone amulet+»☼s easily sell for 2k Dorfbucks a pop... Come to think of it, maybe I'll just sell the über decorated stuff, thus bacoming filthy rich off of otherwise useless bones and shells. Also, maybe a second bonecrafter's (and possibly also jeweler's) workshop is in order.

Although for the interest of keeping the little Aspie in me happy, a "decorate <item type>" / "decorate <specific item>" command sure would be nice...
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Terra_Inc

• Bay Watcher
  • insanity++;
    • View Profile
« Reply #25261 on: September 05, 2012, 06:34:07 am »

Although for the interest of keeping the little Aspie in me happy, a "decorate <item type>" / "decorate <specific item>" command sure would be nice...

The fulfillment of my dreams :'(
Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal...

~HPL~

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #25262 on: September 05, 2012, 12:04:51 pm »

Recieved 8 migrants today.

3 of them made it inside.

If the squad had stayed together, and 2 of them had gotten off their fat asses and MOVED, they probably would have all survived. They didn't encounter much resistance, they're just retarded and I can't order them to move only/avoid engagements/move around enemies/disengage/retreat to X position because those orders don't exist. They REALLY need to, so I can practice some decent military excerises and expect at least half of them to actually do wha I wanted. As it stands, they jump at the chance to get murdered by a fucking undead owl or whatever, and I can't order them to recognize that they COULD run right past it and reach their objective alive. Their objective being to GET INSIDE AND FUCKING REINFORCE US YOU MORONS. THIS ISN'T A "DEATH AND GLORY" SUICIDE MISSION. The civilians' AI is just as bad, because they always run AWAY from percieved threats. Even if there is absolutely no way for said threat to harm them form it's location, or if they could have just run by.

edit; Goblin ambushes have arrived! We're saved!

double edit; Caravan arrived! More meat for the perpetual-motion meat grinder!

tripple edit; God damnit! The necromancers came back with more undead!

quadruple edit; fucking caravan guards killed the goblins, then got swarmed by zombies. Now there's even more zombies.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 12:16:43 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #25263 on: September 05, 2012, 12:24:50 pm »

Huh, I did not know werebeasts can actually sneak into your fortress.

Well, my only dedicated carpenter arrived just few moments before (finally!), cut down some trees, made some corkscrews and pipes then proceeded to get messed up pretty bad. Looking at the combat log I can see he/she got bitten. I may lock him/her up somewhere and wait if there is actually any infection present, but he/she might not even survive anyways.

But lo and behold - one of my pump operators claimed carpenter shop! Absolutely splendid! However, being pump operator in my fort means you are part of my military...

...I guess I can miss one competent hammerdwarf in exchange for legendary carpenter. Oh yes.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25264 on: September 05, 2012, 12:40:16 pm »

The Realm of Dragons

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

is being generated, at the moment is in year 1256. I fixed elven diplomats so we can provoke war, and added human diplomat and merchant guild guy so they can be useful and don't send their clown lawgiver with noxious secretions. I hope I'll end up with necromancers, necromancers everywhere- if I find a glacier with access to all races AND a tower, I might even start my first community or succession fortress.

If only I could get lucky to finish worldgen without dwarf fortress stop working around year 1500... is this a widespread issue, or just me?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25265 on: September 05, 2012, 12:55:37 pm »

I foresee an end in the future of my fort. The problem lies in the non-invincibility of a bunch of dwarves wearing leather armor, along with my open-door policy. That's right - no gates, no locked doors/hatches, just a bunch of military dwarves at the entrance, who happen to only be equipped with leather armor and copper warhammers.

OK... maybe that's not so sustainable, I'm now building a wall and entrance. Out of oak blocks! wha ha ha!
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

agertor

• Bay Watcher
  • Socks, so useful I wear them
    • View Profile
    • Hey it's me on Steam.
« Reply #25266 on: September 05, 2012, 01:06:34 pm »

quadruple edit; fucking caravan guards killed the goblins, then got swarmed by zombies. Now there's even more zombies.

*Pats head* I know the feel bro.
I AM THE SOCK PUPPET MAN
I came back with my sandwich. That was the saddest sandwich, I had ever eaten in my entire life.
you are an evil person sock.

Tibbz2

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what this does...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25267 on: September 05, 2012, 01:54:37 pm »

Just about sums it up.

THE DEMONS ESCAPED MY ICE TRAP AND NOW MY LAST WARRIOR IS SMACKING THEM ALL DOWN WITH HER DECEASED TODDLER OH GOD THE BOOZE JUST EXPLODED AND THERE'S SMOKE AND FIRE EVERYWHERE JESUS CHRIST.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25268 on: September 05, 2012, 04:47:36 pm »

Journal of Kotonoa, 28th Obsidian, yr.451
First Previous Next

The new year is upon us, and we 16 dwarves are feeling pretty good. Our bridge defenses are functional, with blueprints to convert the upper area into a flood hall. A medical test pit is being dug in our marble quarry, and we've just begun to expand even more into the caverns. Watch out trolls: we have 4 Competent Axedwarves waiting for you.

We have cloth, thread, waterskins, masterwork statues, masterwork mechanisms, and we know the true secret of steel. Our lumber shortage doesn't seem to bother us much. We have carved two migrant tubes, one opens directly in the acrid bog itself (you can dig
down stairs from below, just not up/down stairs from below). I'll close the year by sketching our fort layout, it shows much promise.

Spoiler: Surface (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Upper Level (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Drainage and Descent (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Cavern Graveyard (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 05:59:59 pm by ZzarkLinux »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25269 on: September 05, 2012, 05:03:12 pm »

The settlement is sort of growing. We've pastured all our live stock and after next year I'll be able to begin breeding king cobras, giant rattlesnakes, copperheads and gorillas. Hell I'll be able to breed deer after next year too if I feel like it. I've finished the bank and breached the caverns so I've got a good long block order standing so i can build a good looking magma forgeworks.

Oh and a massive horde of chickens and peafowl have hatched. This shall be my greatest settlement. I must also find three good candidates to train into swordsmen.

theprofessor!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25270 on: September 05, 2012, 10:21:10 pm »

A dwarven caravan arrived and a rash of goblin attacks followed shortly thereafter.  Im in a terrifying biome so this caused quite an undead crisis just outside my fortress.  I've only just got my magma foundry going and all my military are finally equipped with metal weapons but are unfortunately armorless.  Lost about 4 military dwarves+dead babies.  Then in the process of getting all the bodies out of the biome into my safe refuse zones I lost several more.  Quite a few unhappy dwarves but on top of that I think I've noticed a small bug...

I had a metalcrafter in a strange mood during the whole ordeal (it was hell at first just drafting a jeweler and getting him to set up the shop+cut some amethysts without him getting distracted by the carnage) but what slipped my mind until it was too late was my metalcrafter brought troglodyte bone to the magma forge for his artifact, and my magma foundry is located inside the terrifying biome.  So, of fucking course, the bone reanimates itself and starts chasing some dwarves around.  Putting it down is no problem, but apparently my metalcrafter won't path himself back to the forge to keep working on the artifact.  Instead he's just standing on a staircase doing nothing, slowly progressing too insanity. murgh.

theprofessor!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25271 on: September 05, 2012, 10:33:38 pm »

Update: I believe I just had an extraordinarily dwarfy stroke of luck.  My militia commander began tantruming (along with many others) and he picked a fight with the metalcrafter who was strange mooded, punching him around a bit.  This appears to be enough to snap my metalcrafter into sense, and he has grabbed another piece of bone and resumed working on his artifact.  Praise armok!

Ki11aGhost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25272 on: September 05, 2012, 10:43:31 pm »

If the squad had stayed together, and 2 of them had gotten off their fat asses and MOVED, they probably would have all survived. They didn't encounter much resistance, they're just retarded and I can't order them to move only/avoid engagements/move around enemies/disengage/retreat to X position because those orders don't exist. They REALLY need to, so I can practice some decent military excerises and expect at least half of them to actually do wha I wanted. As it stands, they jump at the chance to get murdered by a fucking undead owl or whatever, and I can't order them to recognize that they COULD run right past it and reach their objective alive. Their objective being to GET INSIDE AND FUCKING REINFORCE US YOU MORONS. THIS ISN'T A "DEATH AND GLORY" SUICIDE MISSION. The civilians' AI is just as bad, because they always run AWAY from percieved threats. Even if there is absolutely no way for said threat to harm them form it's location, or if they could have just run by.

You said you had a vampire in your midst, correct? Just have her infect the water. I read somewhere that Zombies don't bother Vampires or Were-beasts, though I think that might have pertained to Adventure mode. Not sure if it'd work in Fortress mode but it's worth a shot.

gbrngfol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25273 on: September 05, 2012, 11:05:47 pm »

You said you had a vampire in your midst, correct? Just have her infect the water. I read somewhere that Zombies don't bother Vampires or Were-beasts, though I think that might have pertained to Adventure mode. Not sure if it'd work in Fortress mode but it's worth a shot.

Either way vampires are tough.
My computer breaks down regularly. Duct tape is starting to lose it's charm.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #25274 on: September 06, 2012, 01:23:40 am »

Yeah, vampires are undead, but she was comatose anyway after I dropped her in the well and the doctors failed to treat it (and nobody else became a vampire anyway, apparently.) I locked her up. Unfortunately, when shit hit the fan, so did the violent ghosts, and she was the first one to get hit. They tore her to shreds.

Still dealing with the ghosts, but luckily the population is at 9. Respectable, but I pray for more...

The population is split between slab making/engraving, food supply, and manufacturing glass discs and cages. For the "great awakening." Which probably won't be all that great...

Also, there is a raven assaulting a zombified left hand. All it can do is tear this one tendon over and over, and slowly lose the battle of attrition through exertion... But go team raven!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 01:26:35 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 1683 1684 [1685] 1686 1687 ... 3842