Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1682 1683 [1684] 1685 1686 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972404 times)

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #25245 on: September 04, 2012, 02:55:00 pm »

He hasn't bitten anyone yet and he has crazy physical attributes. Should be fun.

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25246 on: September 04, 2012, 03:05:15 pm »

I managed to obsidianize an axedwarf and one of my two miners in my candy mines. The first I knew about it was when they hadn't been seen for a week. I assume the miner got washed down a staircase into magma by 2-high water movement or something. I have no idea  what the axedwarf was doing there. I have refuse hauling on for my military so perhaps a xpigtail sockx was scattered down there and scheduled to be dumped.

I dug into the obsidian and recovered their bodies. I must say, their equipment seems remarkably well preserved for having been encased in cooling magma.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #25247 on: September 04, 2012, 03:33:20 pm »

I caught my ranger captain sucking a dwarf dry. Luckily it probably won't contribute to the tantrum spiral because nobody knew the guy, but that captain is going to be spending quite a while in a deep pit, until I can find something useful to do with him.

Idea: since we don't have any booze (for lack of plants and barrels) I'll drop him in the aquifer where everyone drinks from. Vampire fortress!

OH FOR FUCKS SAKES

As soon as the bridge falls out from under him, a buzzard swoops in and attacks, causing him to dodge to the side.

I HATE BIRDS
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 03:50:43 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25248 on: September 04, 2012, 05:15:38 pm »

Journal of Kotonoa, 20th Opal, yr.451
First Previous Next

We have rejoyced today. I was able to complete the ritual of MeltedPants! Just like the Avatar's Accomplice had mentioned: "Earth, Fire, Wind, and Water. Four, Four elements become one." And it worked ! Another dwarf was so happy of our fruitful efforts, that he let out a weird laugh. Strangely, it reminded me of someone who will be missed. But for now we celebrate.

Our ritual must have attracted the undead's attention. Otome mentioned that some GrasshopperPeople zombies strayed near the entrance, but when our militia arrived they were gone.

EDIT: Bonus points if you are bored and watch the newsfeed elevator video and read the comments. I want the count in my fort !!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 04:49:34 pm by ZzarkLinux »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #25249 on: September 04, 2012, 05:29:16 pm »

The necromancer returned! He raised all of the corpses in the temporary cemetary (embarassingly close to the entrance) and they proceeded to kick ass and multiply until someone spotted him adn he ran off.

Everyone is dead. The population is 11 again, and it took less than five minutes. Even with the necromancer gone, the dwarves could not overwhelm the zombies, and were instead overwhelmed as they marched in single file. Blood and body parts everywhere!

My only hope rests in a mason far, far below sleeping in a bed, and the vampire, who was injured in her fall into the pool and has been resting ever since. I locked the vampire in a room with a single bed. The zombies have direct access to every part fo the fortress, becuase I dont have doors anywhere except a few of the bedrooms.

Yet another necromancer has turned up! It never ends!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

person012345

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25250 on: September 04, 2012, 09:10:40 pm »

The children of my fort have a strange obsession with bones.

Ki11aGhost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25251 on: September 04, 2012, 09:21:42 pm »

The necromancer returned! He raised all of the corpses in the temporary cemetary (embarassingly close to the entrance) and they proceeded to kick ass and multiply until someone spotted him adn he ran off.

Everyone is dead. The population is 11 again, and it took less than five minutes. Even with the necromancer gone, the dwarves could not overwhelm the zombies, and were instead overwhelmed as they marched in single file. Blood and body parts everywhere!

My only hope rests in a mason far, far below sleeping in a bed, and the vampire, who was injured in her fall into the pool and has been resting ever since. I locked the vampire in a room with a single bed. The zombies have direct access to every part fo the fortress, becuase I dont have doors anywhere except a few of the bedrooms.

Yet another necromancer has turned up! It never ends!

I know it sounds  crazy, but I am insanely jealous of you. I've recently taken an interest in Necromancers and I was hoping I could get one in world generation, but I keep coming up dry. I can't go too far in years, because my computer is crappy and it ends up loading like a year an hour (bit of an exaggeration but whatever).

I wanted to find one and place my fortress within 20 blocks so I get a couple fast necro sieges and see if I could hold my own. Seems like a decent challenge, and I wanted to see how necros work up close and personal.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25252 on: September 04, 2012, 11:36:40 pm »

My fort's earthmoving project is continuing; the baron's rooms are finished in terms of excavating and a horde of engravers have descended on it like a pack of rock-eating locusts.

In other news, the elves are visiting. My farmers are all colossal idiots and somehow have failed to plant seeds, claiming that there are no wild strawberry seeds in the entire fort. I suppose it's my fault, really; god knows the 150-odd wild strawberry seeds sitting in the stockpile are too small to be seen.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

They Got Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress:
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #25253 on: September 04, 2012, 11:49:31 pm »

Elves came again in the spring (ironically, they used my clear glass road). They traded me another giant echidna, which gives me a breeding pair of giant echidna's. I don't know how useful they are as war animals with the [TRAINABLE] tag added, but I think I might try. One of these creatures in it's adult size is up to 270,500 cm3, which is 4.5x a normal dwarf.
Quote from: Urist McDwarfFortress
You do not understand the ways of Toady One. He is not a business, he's just a guy trying to make a fun game. He's invited people to come along and experience the journey with him (and help him test it out as he goes along). At the end of the day, I don't think his main goal is to sell Dwarf Fortress, its just to create the best game possible.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #25254 on: September 05, 2012, 01:09:38 am »

I know it sounds  crazy, but I am insanely jealous of you. I've recently taken an interest in Necromancers and I was hoping I could get one in world generation, but I keep coming up dry. I can't go too far in years, because my computer is crappy and it ends up loading like a year an hour (bit of an exaggeration but whatever).

I wanted to find one and place my fortress within 20 blocks so I get a couple fast necro sieges and see if I could hold my own. Seems like a decent challenge, and I wanted to see how necros work up close and personal.

Don't worry; it loses it's glorious polish of fun when the ghosts start showing up and you realize the undead aren't going to leave. and that there are now 300 of them. And those 6 migrants you snuck in because there was a miner in the group aren't going to last long with murderous/violent ghosts popping up and butchering them before you get the chance to slab them. Then it's all ‼FUN‼ and no play...

Yeah, it's not looking too good.

I've been spending my time waiting waiting for kobolds to get caught and then yelling "run, gloler, run!!" at the monitor while they show off their obviously superior legs. Cardio health is #1 concern for those little guys. This gloler fucker ran through an entire horde of zombies and didn't even get touched. Then he found yet another horde of zombies to run through, just to make the 33 year old "child" look bad for dying just a month or so before her next birthday so she can "grow up" finally. Seriously. 33 year old child. I suppose I can't blame her for just giving up and letting the zombies eat her, since she was about to starve to death anyway at that point...
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 01:12:55 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25255 on: September 05, 2012, 01:50:23 am »

The Realm of Dragons

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

is being generated, at the moment is in year 1256. I fixed elven diplomats so we can provoke war, and added human diplomat and merchant guild guy so they can be useful and don't send their clown lawgiver with noxious secretions. I hope I'll end up with necromancers, necromancers everywhere- if I find a glacier with access to all races AND a tower, I might even start my first community or succession fortress.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25256 on: September 05, 2012, 02:04:12 am »

Another day, another vile force of darkness.
Apparently, the late snow-skink-demon-thing was their one and only creature trainer, as this one turned out without any mounts whatsoever. Relatively few dwarven casualties occurred, mainly some particularly suicidal militiamen who decided that they simply must have that one special X(«troll fur sock»)X in order to be effective soldiers. Unfortunately, the outpost liaison also decided this was the best time to leave for the mountainhomes and got himself gored to death by a troll for his troubles. Just as my exp leader was supposed to get promoted, too, goddammit it! >:(

The squad leaders unfortunately turned out to be master marksmen, putting a couple of arrows into the brave militia manning my battlement. One of them also shot a baby so hard it was flung through the fortifications and fell in the midst of the invaders below.

Regardless of these setbacks, a bit of timely lever-pulling carried the day and plunged practically the entire invading horde down my retracting bridge trapdoor, resulting in various degrees of shattered bones. The weapon traps I liberally sprinkled at the pit egress pretty much finished the job. The few stragglers remaining (most of them Pale or in Extreme Pain with several mangled limbs) were set upon by the militia, scoring a couple more kills while a war dog lost her front paw and later her life.

[edit]Oh, and the combat logs show, among other things, this little gem:
The ≡large, serrated green glass disc≡ strikes the Goblin lasher in the right eye, tearing it apart!

Ouchies.  :o
[/edit]

Otherwise, I've mostly focused on digging out the many silver veins in the area, trying to produce some steel armor for the military and churning out ludicrous amounts of clothing and pimped out trade goods.
I noticed something funny about decorations, BtW: the craftsdorfs have a strange tendency to add decoration after decoration on the same item before getting off their lazy behind and getting a new one from the pile. This leads to a ton of unimproved basic-quality stuff and a few ☼«*goat bone earring*»☼s with physically impossible amounts of menacing spikes, hanging rings and pictures. It's basically Planepacked sans strange mood. Bug report time?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 04:29:17 am by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #25257 on: September 05, 2012, 04:38:09 am »

I noticed something funny about decorations, BtW: the craftsdorfs have a strange tendency to add decoration after decoration on the same item before getting off their lazy behind and getting a new one from the pile. This leads to a ton of unimproved basic-quality stuff and a few ☼«*goat bone earring*»☼s with physically impossible amounts of menacing spikes, hanging rings and pictures. It's basically Planepacked sans strange mood. Bug report time?
Well, dwarfs always pick the closest item for their workshop jobs, so that's expected behavior. I think you could prevent it with a bit of stockpile management (take from close stockpile, give to distant stockpile).
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #25258 on: September 05, 2012, 04:42:10 am »

Actually, the game checks for types of bones on an item and compares to currently 'TSK'd bone. If that item already has a decoration from that type of bone, it moves onto next.

So yeah, if you have 20 different bones, you can expect a single item with 20 different 20 decorations and ton of non-decorated.

But if all bones you get come from goblins, all of the items will get single bone decoration - made from goblin bone.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25259 on: September 05, 2012, 05:27:01 am »

Well, dwarfs always pick the closest item for their workshop jobs, so that's expected behavior. I think you could prevent it with a bit of stockpile management (take from close stockpile, give to distant stockpile).
If it's a large gem or gem craft it's unavoidable, even otherwise I think if multiple decorate tasks are queued up then the objects in the shop will be selected for improvement before anyone gets a chance to designate them for hauling.
Pages: 1 ... 1682 1683 [1684] 1685 1686 ... 3839