Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1681 1682 [1683] 1684 1685 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972443 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #25230 on: September 03, 2012, 10:55:16 am »

if you have DFHack, tweak makeown. You'll still have to wait for his new migrant status to clear before he'll get out of the way though. Otherwise you'll have to wait until he/she wanders away.

Decided to build some masonry apartments near thier shops, on the sight where I caved a destroyed house in. Going to need a few more glass windows to get what I want doen to look nice, but still. oh, and at long fucking last,

Metalsmith Nacu and Miner Nethu have married! FINALLY. THE NATION BEGINS RECOVERY. Oh and a kid has reached adulthood. jesus christ at this rate I may end up not bothering with invaders because this civ is fucked six ways to sunday no matter what from what I can see.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25231 on: September 03, 2012, 01:06:34 pm »

Journal of Kotonoa, 28th Moonstone, yr.451
First  Previous Next

Our group has decided to trade with the vendors. They don't have a lot of things we desperately need (assuming our MeltedPants ritual works as planned), so instead of robbing them, we traded lumber, leather, buckets, gypsum, bags, moody-materials, and sweetpod seeds (we seem to have lost ours to the troll attacks). Also got a cat, boar, and bunny off them, which will double as cage traps.

I'll go honor the gods with another bunny totem right now. May they grant safe exit for our mountainbrethren and protection from the grasshopper zombies.

Spoiler: Trade Done (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 05:16:39 pm by ZzarkLinux »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25232 on: September 03, 2012, 01:20:21 pm »

Another birth! Hazzuah! I can only hope over the next three years we are elevated up to the level of a Duchy Capital. Then we'll have the general to lead us providing he doesn't keel over from old age or accumulated wounds.  ::)

We've nearly taken care of all housing needs, with every apartment designed to promote socialization. Suprisingly, beekeeping productivity is slowly rising, so I'll begin carving out the beekeeper's storage cellar. I've also decided all nonusful artifacts my people manage to produce (such as the stupid crown or that bronze cockring) will be stored under the lord's manor house, which aside from furniture is complete.

Time to start screening for my future leader...

EDIT: TIme to dig deeper. mostly because a leatherworker is flipping shit over silk. We have everything else he wants but silk? NOPE! Guess I'll have to breach and start lookin'. On the plus side, it's a fey and I'll get a legendary leatherworker out of it.

Also a kingsnake decided to wander into the barracks and was promptly stabbed to death. i've also found that my pig herd is made almost exclusivly of high yeild animals (Enormous, fat, lots of muscle...) And perhaps I should begin making cheese...

Ninja'd by game: Turns out my clothiers had woven some silk I bought from the goblins last year. lucky break eh? I wonde rif I should still breach the caverns and begin a trapping program...

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25233 on: September 03, 2012, 04:15:01 pm »

if you have DFHack, tweak makeown. You'll still have to wait for his new migrant status to clear before he'll get out of the way though. Otherwise you'll have to wait until he/she wanders away.
A civilian alert and / or meeting zone helps to make migrants form an orderly conga line instead of hanging around at the edge of the map wondering what to do next.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25234 on: September 03, 2012, 04:39:41 pm »

Oh they resume the congaline movement. Just they like to stand there until thier migrant status goes away blocking traffic.

The greenskins came and left, leaving us with valuable underworld leathers and silk. Thier diplomats also said they want medical supplies and plants (probably for brewing) and of course offered to buy them at a markup. The leatherworker made a rather fetching lone sandle of sloth leather. I gotta wonder if the olm man and troll meat will actually be consumed if included in stews or busicuts. If not.... Well I guess it'll make good animal taming food.

The three halberdiers I have are making good progress. I kinda wish there was a selective invader enabler  like Semimega:yes, Civ invader:no so i could have more than dingos to pit them against but not get utterly curbstomped.

Anyways, i've gotten a good set of pens for the yak herd and pigs  built and am thinking about building one for the sheep (who've been camped out next to the mill for the last three years.) I got a shop built for whoever becomes the settlment's head dyer, with thier living space given a nice view of the cemetary, which thankfully only had two headstones errected.

To the caversn or no? That is the real question, because I'll have to devote three more workers to fulltime patrol duty to slice up crundles and trogs that slither up.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25235 on: September 03, 2012, 05:29:59 pm »

A civilian alert and / or meeting zone helps to make migrants form an orderly conga line instead of hanging around at the edge of the map wondering what to do next.

tweak fixmigrant is the correct command. Makeown works, but it's not designed specifically for the traders.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25236 on: September 03, 2012, 05:39:00 pm »

I just never bothered with it enough.

Anyways, the adult dogs have now been trained and I may be stuffing them into the tunnel down to a small quarry. Also, as I have been neglecting the temple to the god-mussel of water and fishes, I need to build something down there.... maybe I'll finish smoothing those natural stone pillars and flood a small chamber with a giant mussel (as in an m) in it.

Also for shits and giggles, I had some coins made. I have found my civ's symbol is a pair of ripe prickle berries and the last monarch died sometime after the year 39, probably in battle. I'm making a bank for no real reason as well as minting a mess of gold and silver coins for no reason because we have an appearently ludicrous amount of gold, silver and copper. We also now have a decent cloth industry, and yet everyone is wearing worn out clothes.... Heh.

I also gave the elves 500 free lead coins worth 20 DF money.They didn't seem thrilled.

thiosk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25237 on: September 04, 2012, 12:38:44 am »

The undead followed the dwarven caravan. 

Again.

No one living in our fort today has ever seen a living goblin-- just their undead, moaning corpses.

The fishing fiasco, where the migrants fished while the bridge accross the canyon was built, was the cause of much contention when our population doubled during the third spring.  The migrants scoffed at our expedition leader telling them not to practice their (only) trade.

But he was right, as usual-- the shells and bones of the deceased fish rose and swarmed over the now frozen river-- adding to the confusion of the undead invasion, and threw themselves at the living while the larger monstrosities tore arms from their sockets.  Our heroic first squad was taken to a dwarf-- we've not heard of a slaughter this comprehensive in decades of memory.

The dwarven caravan found quarter, but now is trapped behind our walls.  We have argued whether they should be permitted to leave at all.  We dropped the bridge long enough for the liason and a merchant to run screaming from the fort, but as the zombified critters swarmed through we closed the gate as fast as it had been opened.

We may abandon the surface for good-- what good is a surface when MAGMA lies below?

fourpotatoes

• Bay Watcher
  • N DSD & Sw
    • View Profile
« Reply #25238 on: September 04, 2012, 04:20:03 am »

Good lord. I just checked out the mod. Fallout + Warcraft + Warhammer 40k + Dwarf Fortress + My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Someone really, really likes their grimdark grim.

Indeed: Inspired by various sources including Weatherwires, the idea for this fort was to seal myself off such that an entire generation would be born and die of old age without seeing the sun, caverns or soil layers, and this mod provided better motivation than most to stay off the surface. I originally attempted this in a reanimating region of an unmodded world, but a series of military and hauling miscalculations overwhelmed my unfinished refuse-management system and put a shambling zombie-filled end to most of the population. I entertained hopes of getting a few dwarves who were mostly unaffected by the deaths to seal themselves off and start anew, but they had to get past an undead ungulate, and its hooves sealed the fortress's fate.

Back in Godlycooked, let's split my walls of text into spoilered sections:

Spoiler: Fortress politics (click to show/hide)

I've nearly finished eliminating unwanted grazing livestock and have finally started the last phase of moving my stockpiles down from the upper halls into the fortress proper. I've got a beaversplosion and wolverinespolosion going on, but they don't need pasture space, so I've stuffed most of them in cages until I figure out what to do. They might get left behind on the surface when I abandon the upper reaches, flood the access shafts from the aquifier and seal the inner and outer hatches. Perhaps I should make them war-trainable as a surprise for whoever comes poking around.

Once the diplomat leaves and I finish my current hauling, I should be ready for the permanent seal. Remaining construction work can wait until that's in place. Assuming I can avoid sieges or major disaster, I'll put off sealing the fortress until the sterility-inducing-drink contingency-plan project is done and the next caravan from my home civilization arrives, since I've asked for a few special items and I'd like them to haul away more used socks.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25239 on: September 04, 2012, 06:47:35 am »

This just showed up. 2-year-old fort, etc etc, fairly standard, and I have no idea what in the name of Armok's left testicle this thing does.

I still have no idea.

"Its Kekath the Water-Elephant"
"Its... its beautiful!"
"I feel better just looking at it"
"KILL IT!"

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25240 on: September 04, 2012, 12:14:35 pm »

Re-installed Ubuntu on a whim to clear out anything I might have screwed up. it actually helped with a few bugs that were happening, so I'm glad I did it! On the other hand, I had to re-install dependencies for Dwarf Fortress, which required looking up some stuff. Still worth it.

Anyways, once I got that figured out, I re-opened my fort and re-started work on making wood-block rooms with single types of wood. First goal is my first dining room, which will be a chestnut block floor. It's coming along nicely. I have no doubt that the elves are cringing by my destruction of the forest. Strangely I have gotten a rather large number of carpenter migrants with great, master, and grand master carpenter skill, so this is going smoothly.

My coffin industry is buzzing along too. It's not for the reason you might think though - no we are not having an unusual amount of deaths. What we are having is an unusual amount of undead who happen to have once been dwarves. A handful of dead dwarves, a crapload of dead undead dwarves. Go figure.

Speaking of worthless corpses, my migrants finally appointed a mayor. We made some rooms specifically for her, and she's been happy. Good for her I guess. She likes spears as well, though I'm still deciding whether or not that's a good thing. We don't have the materials to make many spears, but when they are made they will be useful.

Speaking of weapons, and going full circle to why we don't have that many deaths - it's entirely because I have so many practicing hammerdwarves. Sure, they're mediocre-equipped (copper warhammers plus leather outfits), but they still tear through things like crazy.

Just now I recieved a notification - a vile force of darkness has arrived. Send 4 legendary squads of 2, they're wiped out. Leave the other 4 less than legendary squads to guard the front staircase. Oh no! the dead walk at the same time? There are 4 necromancers on the screen, along with some 70 undead (and plenty of dead to refule)? Heh, I take this as a challenge! Every citizen - get underground!

After the goblins were wiped out - with only a few undead killed:

http://imgur.com/a/kcyha#0

And... why we won! 2 soldiers killed, and a handful of citizens. The soldiers that died weren't fully trained yet, and the apparently all of my soldiers abandoned the front gate as soon as some undead came close enough for their taste. Not the BEST defenders yet, so I think I'll have to create a new burrow-alert for them to stay close for the next time this happens. We killed 3/4 of the necromancers though, so in total a success.

My 114 dwarves are going to be very busy cleaning this one up.

No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #25241 on: September 04, 2012, 12:24:58 pm »

*sigh*

In a fort of 124 dwarfs, I had 45 strong military. Only few of soldiers had no military skill at the time of draft. Training went well, it was just I haven't come around to start forging armor and weapons.

Then, a merchants' horse went berserk.

I've stopped reading horse's combat log at page 15, because it consisted of just of my recruits punching it in the head. And bruising a muscle.
Meanwhile, a good portion of my fort was being held in a lockdown, some due to being unable to reach items that were near horse and some due to wanting to reach drinks/food but could not path near horse and were stuck in a dead-end hall leading to military bedrooms.

At first I got frustrated, then mad, then sad...then, I've lowered my drawbridge.

I've let in a goblin siege and later two ambushes. Goblins made short work of berserking horse when they finally reached him. Sieging ones retreated soon and so did the first ambush but one remained. And now I am down to 67 mostly unhappy, (some) tantruming dwarfs (oh, one just went mad) and fort open for plunder.

I am quite content now, thanks to goblins. Sure, It was a nice fort, I had some nice ideas and all...but I guess I'll just go back and enjoy the slaughter.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #25242 on: September 04, 2012, 12:33:52 pm »

The dead walk! Hide while you still can!

My poor little fledgling fortress is now under siege by the undead, and one dwarf decided to stand around outside and die rather than follow orders. She's back now, though. With only one soldier worth their own weight in shit (adequate at best), there is no way to break the siege. It's only early autumn of the first year! We have nothing!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 12:51:11 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25243 on: September 04, 2012, 12:36:31 pm »

Spring has arrived and some of my chickens started dropping dead from old age. We're now listed as a Baron's fiefdom and the treehumpers have finally sent thier diplomat, who I spotted by the well following the baroness who was pitching a dead rooster corpse. I'll abide by thier tree chopping quota for now simply because wood imports are keeping us well enough (I'm trying to let the environment recover from the last two years of near complete clear cutting for building materials.)

The three volunteers are now masters of the poleaxe, now I need to pick three individuals who want to play swordsman for the rest of thier lives.

The goblins have left with a nice profit and a fancy copper centurion's helmet for thier leader. Time to build the stockade. Or once again, do you guys think I should go big and build masonry walls?

Ninja'd by Eric -  Holy shit.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #25244 on: September 04, 2012, 12:53:22 pm »

Quickly built some cage traps and ended the siege (there were only 8 undead, but unfortunately the necromancer didn't show his ugly mug.) Except for the undead corpse of our old friend that was still lingering up there. I sent the three stooges to take care of her. Two of them are horribly crippled, one of those isn't even being taken to rest in bed. But luckily the caravan just arrived, so they should be fine. Still, missed out on autumn migrants, and didn't have an entrance impressive enough for the caravan wagons. Damnit!

ninja edit; they finally recovered that wounded fool just as I was threatening to drop him into a deep pit to break some more bones.

Extra ninja edit; migrants showed up for the winter. Quite a few of them. Pop is up to 23, including one baby crawling across the scorching desert.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 01:12:27 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 1681 1682 [1683] 1684 1685 ... 3839