Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1679 1680 [1681] 1682 1683 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972310 times)

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #25200 on: August 31, 2012, 07:10:04 pm »

Journal of Kotonoa, 28th Sandstone, yr.451
First Previous Next

The pasture has been roofed, a masterwork mechanism and masterwork statue were made, and the miners are working our booze supply. We're creating a temporary water'in hole that doubles as a decontamination chamber, so that anyone who wanders through the bog (and survives) can get cleaned properly.

Spoiler: The Rabbit Hut (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The Clean Room (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Home Sweet Home (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 07:32:23 pm by ZzarkLinux »

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #25201 on: September 01, 2012, 04:22:31 am »

Ah yes. Since I got annoyed with my current fort last night, I decided to go down with a stile. I drafted everyone. Designated my arena as meeting place. Got one dwarf to lock down the arena and release all goblins, trolls, giantess and hydra.

Surprisingly, we won. I was left with 78 angry dwarfs out of which around 33 now had some decent military skills. And while watching tantrum spiral would be fun, from the very beginning (of the end) I desired something...quicker.

Then, after quite some time, finally - a siege.
I have never before been so happy to see 120+ invaders knocking on my doors.

It was glorious. Most of my pissed-off military got slaughtered right on my prized wooden highway. They were caught in crossfire coming from two marksgoblin squads. Then, the trolls came rushing in, followed by said marksgoblins.

Last three dwarfs were two wounded soldiers in my hospital and one near barracks, to wounded to even move - he was very last to meet his doom.

I am very pleased with how everything turned out.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #25202 on: September 01, 2012, 09:31:59 am »

ZzarkLinux: Do you just not like stone, or is there an aquifer?
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25203 on: September 01, 2012, 12:49:41 pm »

Cryptdagger has been abandoned and the dwarves of The Subtle Stake are assembling at the Mountainhome to consider their next foray to create a post to continue eroding the power of the northern goblin alliance.

Meanwhile, to the west another dwarven group embarks in a mirthful marsh to carry out scientific research.  The hamlet of Zaslogem now nests comfortably behind a protective ditch and partially constructed walls while engineering data on mine cart propulsion is studied.

The chert layers are ideal for industrial and science work.  As well as the useful veins of iron ore running through it (limonite).  Native silver ore and tetrahedrite has been found as well further down towards the Magma Sea.  The post has also draw attention and further migrants due to a rumor (true) that the dwarves here have access to sun berries (harvested and via trade) and are producing and drinking sunshine in relatively large quantities.

Goblin attention is expected shortly and defenses are being beefed up.  Kobolds have already been seen and savaged by guard dogs.

Scientific work is progressing well also.  Collected data will be communicated to the Mountainhome for passing on to the other dwarven communities.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25204 on: September 01, 2012, 02:37:26 pm »

First births at Cryptclear!  Two baby girls.  What with the migration wave of 30 dwarves earlier this season, I've started renovating the bedroom layer.  Of course, this spawned a wave of four snatchers, who promptly got caught in the trap hall and are now waiting to be used for target practice for the forming military.

Speaking of the military, apparently my dwarves are a bunch of free spirit hippies, as all military recruits save one are point-blank refusing to put on the nice masterwork steel high boots I have made them.  Not entirely sure why - I've got over forty of them, not forbidden, not traveling in a bin, they're a part of all squad's uniform, and they've put on the other bits just fine.  It's just the damn boots.  I don't get it, dwarves.

At least one has managed to figure out that the shiny things go on his feet, though, so hopefully the others will follow.

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25205 on: September 01, 2012, 02:51:30 pm »

Two years have passed since embarking on this location. Waiting is not going to end this endless siege of undead. I've received several ambushes from goblins, but these have been quickly decimated by the hundreds of undead currently "guarding" my fort. I have to take matters into my own hands.

I'm now focused on building a large number of upright spike traps, which I'll link to a single lever. Pull my settlement down to the first cavern layer, and establish a secondary defense of cage traps should anything survive the lengthy distance of spike traps. Perhaps I'll get lucky and the goblins will also lay siege to my fort. That would be a welcome sight.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25206 on: September 01, 2012, 05:05:59 pm »

I have, using Embark Anywhere decided to play as a near dead human nation. It's monarch has evidently died fighting the modbold menace and at present I truly believe the only remains of this human nation is the scattered remnants of the county's army, as the General is the only living leader they have left. My entire embark party worships some combination of a water god in the form of a muscle, or either the goddess of fame and rumors, peace, or discipline.

For the sake of maximizing the use of this half burnt out town i'm using I've shut off invaders; I'll let the enemy come when I'm able to put up something resembling a fight, since any casualties will, in a strange twist for my human settlements, be nigh unrecoverable from, unless humans from elsewhere decide to also migrate in which as far as I know isn't possible.

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25207 on: September 01, 2012, 05:25:47 pm »

I just organized a jail break. Poor Zasit Gatizmeng, a dabbling mason and elite marksdwarf was in jail for failing to produce a crutch! Halfway through his sentence he was dehydrated, despite having two barrels of booze in a stockpile directly adjacent to his masterwork silver chain. Come on, Zasit! Surely the other dwarves aren't stealing your booze *all* the time?

So I deconstructed the chain while the captain of the guard was busy hauling heavy bins full of rock blocks around the fortress. The first thing Zasit did when freed was pick up one of the barrels that had been sitting RIGHT NEXT TO HIM FOR WEEKS and start drinking from it.

In other news, one of my miners has a bruised lung from a falling goblin arm that was lopped off in my execution pit and went sailing away in an arc.

Additionally, the roof of the second main tower is almost completed. Picture seven stories of 13x13 granite topped by four stories of shallow-sloping green glass.

The fort had an arrival from a forgotten beast Raca Vinenamothida: a huge eyeless pig. Autobutcher chose that moment to announce "Pigs marked for slaughter: 1". Erm... no. Raca is walled off from the parts of the caverns I'm using and can stay out there with the other 20 uninvited guests.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25208 on: September 01, 2012, 05:40:31 pm »

The smith and his bride to be now have a home, as does the future mayor/noble. Currently going to work on clear cutting the trees growing in the settlement proper and get some farms operating with my irrigation systems (really some canals with jury rigged pumps.) I hope one of the two steams thaws so i can rig up some crude fishtraps to catch the lampry that sometimes swim through. Those make good eating.

Migrants have arrived as well, consisting of a high master jewler/axeman, an accomplished weaponsmith/talented leatherworker, a great glassmaker (we have sand aplenty so that's a good enough skill to have) who evidently also did some moonlighting as a miner and prfessional martial artist, the weaponsmith's pet peahen and the glassmaker's pet guineahen, a tiny family consiting of a miner, and clothier-knifefightinghammerman and thier daughter who is almost an adult (hellz yeah) and her pet goa- wow also a pet turkey gobbler, a cook and an engraver. A respectable size for an obligatory migrant wave.

EDIT:
More migrants. Non related to eachother and poofed into existance. Seems there's only a few dozen people left from The Ivory Confederacy. So far the remaining intact structures are slowly being repurposed and the irrigation ditches are filled and ready. The smiths now live above thier shop and the communal dining hall is slowly being erected. Good thing I took the sawmill out of Corrosion or this would be impossible to accomplish.

In a small quarry project I've decided the pattern looks like a temple and now desire to  build a temple to the god-mussel of The Ivory Confederacy, thier fishing and water god.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25209 on: September 02, 2012, 06:44:06 am »

Do you just not like stone, or is there an aquifer?

No aquifer, I'm just still designing my "optimal" layout for the stone levels below.
If I screw up then the "0" pillars might intefere with the layout.

Is there a way to "disable" the pillar tile, or convert the pillar to another tile?
I used the init.txt file to convert my pillars from "0" to "#" (as in the 1st screenshot), but I wish I could use another tile for pillars...

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #25210 on: September 02, 2012, 07:24:31 am »

Do you just not like stone, or is there an aquifer?

No aquifer, I'm just still designing my "optimal" layout for the stone levels below.
If I screw up then the "0" pillars might intefere with the layout.

Is there a way to "disable" the pillar tile, or convert the pillar to another tile?
I used the init.txt file to convert my pillars from "0" to "#" (as in the 1st screenshot), but I wish I could use another tile for pillars...

Make the pillars 4x4 instead of 1x1, so it shows us squares instead of O's?
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25211 on: September 02, 2012, 08:15:39 am »

preliminary carven exploration has revealed a few things (I was really doing what amounts to a shaft mine and found warm stone, and so breached.) I have not one, but two small magma lakes down there, and, after that I decided I wanted to see how much adamantine there was: six pillars. And now I get to be horribly paranoid! yay!

So, it seems so long as your civ has one leader migrants shall come. We now number 38 and an inn has been properly built above the dining hall. Charcoal is being produced so we can make use of the piles of copper and gold we have laying around, and the old derelict houses are being meticulously disassmbled for the ash wood they have in thier frames (I say meticulous because some have constructed floors on top portions and a carpenter and our current only child were almost killed when one came crashing down.)

This town is gonna be a bitch to defend when I turn invaders back on....

EDIT: Glassmaker went fey and using some hastily cooked green glass, he made a geen glass chain... How the hell do you make a glass chain!? not only that, in my attempts to find the actual settlement buildings I used goblins and it depicts one of those goblins bookin' it right the hell out (he and his buddies were kind enough to leave still edible meat and fish and some tools behind in thier wagon.)

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #25212 on: September 02, 2012, 11:01:55 am »

A child withdrew from society and used malachite to build a figurine of the "King of Swag", one of my dwarves who wears a giant sparrow bone crown.
Apparently, the figurine is based on the historical event where the guy's leg was smashed by a night creature.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25213 on: September 02, 2012, 01:58:04 pm »

A child withdrew from society and used malachite to build a figurine of the "King of Swag", one of my dwarves who wears a giant sparrow bone crown.
Apparently, the figurine is based on the historical event where the guy's leg was smashed by a night creature.
Who needs legs when you have swag?
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25214 on: September 02, 2012, 02:17:24 pm »

The survivors of my civ have left with a nice profit, and will spread to the others who survived the modbold invasion that our feeble capital is reclaimed. We've had a birth, the clothiers and leatherworks now have thier rooms above thier shops, the inn in furnished fully and a respectable (though still small) fischer berry harvest has come in.

I've begun building a proper craftsmen's center and plan to at least get the jewler and bowyer shops put in there too. Oh, and we got a cedar cage artifact from a carpenter (sadly a possession so no legendary worker) and a butcher went funny in the head and punched a bone carver out of his shop and started pelting the others with pictures of stuff which we have and is now working on something. It is more than likely some amulet or something we can't make use of, though is she makes a roundshield or Scutum I'll love that butcher forever.

EDIT: Two unrecoverable deaths. One of them married. Fucking great. Fuck dismantleing, I'm completly cave in this last building because there's glitched floors that can't be disassembled killing people I can't afford to lose with collapses.
Pages: 1 ... 1679 1680 [1681] 1682 1683 ... 3839