Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1678 1679 [1680] 1681 1682 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5969169 times)

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #25185 on: August 30, 2012, 09:56:15 pm »

So, I've embarked on a pretty crazy area. It's in range of three towers, as well as the usual assortment. The embark site has both good and evil biomes. The evil biome naturally has rain. It's a syndrome rain that causes the whole body to bruise, promptly followed by death. Considering that there are three towers to contend with, the necromancers will have plenty of corpses to play with.

Spring and summer were quiet seasons. Autumn was calm, too, but then I get an alert. "The dead walk." Two of them, in fact. So, I'm under siege by the undead, have been for two seasons now. They showed up right before the dwarven caravan was supposed to show, and I didn't embark with an anvil. So making weapons is out. I've only got 16 adult dwarves, so even if I did have weapons, I wouldn't have a sizable population to draft. As a result, I've decided to hunker down and start digging.

It's a good thing that I sealed off part of the first cavern layer at the very beginning. That's my only source of soil at the moment.

The plan is to dig out a few layers, then pump water from the third cavern layer to flood those layers. There's a ton of magnetite, and a ton of flux here, but sadly no fuel to speak of. Dig, flood, drain, grow lots of trees. That's part of the long-term plan. I'll next expand the farm plots I've got so that the (temporarily?) vegetarian fort has a diverse palate of meals to enjoy.

As frustrating as this siege is, I find myself challenged in a way that I never have before. If this siege doesn't go away, then I'll have to be extremely patient, and clever, to deal with it. I'm sure glad I have access to sand.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #25186 on: August 31, 2012, 12:34:05 am »

a recruit, just added to the squad, went over its orders and charged the enemy during a siege ignoring the defend burrow order:

alone, untrained, surrounded, poorly equipped, is making a mess of the goblins.

Spoiler: part of the combat log (click to show/hide)

edit:
he died, after taking a dozen more goblins with him in the grave.
Well I'll be...Meanwhile, I charged my first ambush in my current fort with a 10 dwarf strong squad, all fully clad in at least ☰iron☰ armour (except they don't want to wear helmets, for some reason). All soldiers were legendary pump operators in civilian lives and at least wrestlers as soldiers.
Opposition - a squad of lashers and one archer.
Casualties - HAMMERDWARF (+ wounded)
Every strike from the goblin lasher that hit him went right through the armour, chipping the bone, eventually bashing his skull in.
Forgot about overpowered whips.
But then I see this.
Damn.

As for even more fun part - last autumn I turned my mayor in baron. While he was being traumatized by lesser burial arrangement, he was still ecstatic due to having his other rooms of such a high value (royal, actually),
Then, this last ambush - his wife and (at least) one of his kids got killed by goblins.
He turn miserable.
Then he goes berserk.
And I kill him with now 9 dwarf strong squad.

AND THEM I am about to write all this on the forums...and there is an electricity black-out.
Heh.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25187 on: August 31, 2012, 05:26:14 am »

Journal of Kotonoa, 15th Sandstone, yr.451
First Previous Next

We were shocked this month. Some migrants arrived, and we knew they walked a shortcut through the bog because they started passing-out from pain. The rain didn't enthrall them like we had expected, but we're not going to run tests to get more information. They were passed-out from pain for a good week out there, and so zonked that they tried to wander back into the bog to 'Clean Self'. Luckily that wombat corpse didn't notice them.

Spoiler: Migrant Migraines (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Surface Undead (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 07:11:03 pm by ZzarkLinux »

gbrngfol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25188 on: August 31, 2012, 05:37:49 am »

Breaking News!!! My manager just had a Fey mood and made a willow bracelet! And the best part is He used two entire andesite slabs to make it!

Edit: Dammit the game crashed and it's been an entire year since last save. :(
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 05:39:34 am by gbrngfol »
My computer breaks down regularly. Duct tape is starting to lose it's charm.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #25189 on: August 31, 2012, 07:08:56 am »

You know that feeling when an elite goblin bowman is sheltering behind his cohorts while picking off your ranged troops one by one, and one of your axelords carves her way through ranks of goblin spearmen and trolls before chopping the bowman into several pieces? Yeah.

Also, the surface magma cistern: it fills!

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25190 on: August 31, 2012, 07:47:43 am »

They were passed-out from pain for a good week out there, and so zonked that they tried to wander back into the bog to 'Clean Self'. Luckily that wombat corpse didn't notice them.
I like this entry.

Oh and rhesusmacabre: nice story.

As for me - continuing my game from the point where electricity went out. This time, mayor decided to trow a few tantrums, the proceeded to go stark raving mad. too bad, last time when I killed him, no mayor/baron was listed in my nobles screen, so I was interested, what was going to happen...Well, my new mayor is one of the dedicated mechanics. He has leather armor fetish, but that's okay, I have enough leather.
Last one was getting annoying with his bracelet/quivers combos.

Also, a roc pa payed me a visit. My sunlit meeting area/arena still lacks green glass covering on top level. I've panicked a bit, but after some meddling with alarms, thought-it-was-fatal-mistake walling off meeting area where roc was attacked by dogs, one false death confirmation and chasing that blasted roc around a bit with both my melee  and ranged squads, I finally brought it down.
All for the cost of few dead non essential animals, one wounded soldier and two wounded civilians.
I am genuinely satisfied.

edit: after checking up he combat log, last few entries consist of my soldiers beating the roc with their wooden crossbows.

I kinda feel sorry for the bird.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 07:54:28 am by Sinistar »
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25191 on: August 31, 2012, 08:13:14 am »

The humans of the Confederacy of Heaven have embarked upon a savage good swampland in the shadow of a great cave, and possibly a great beast. I've brought some chalbys (a less effective, less valuable version of steel for humans) to make a pair of poleaxes to deal with any threats that decide to pour out (trogs seem to enjoy attacking humans, second only to giant bats.)

Since I forgot to remove the baby snatcher tag from the goblins, I won't be able to import troll and ogre soldiers from them. But in this miserable little swamp, a small nation shall make it's stand, and with cold steel and angry mutts will it battle the modbold menace and the green tide.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25192 on: August 31, 2012, 09:28:33 am »

I've finally tested my battle arena. Well, I did it once before with trolls, but I did not like how I placed cages so I've changed the design a bit. Still a lot to finish, have to add working flood/drain system, maybe some automated, randomly activated spike traps and 3x16 cages design still feels just as a placeholder, but we'll get there.
So I've unleashed the first wave, e.i., opened the first line of cages. 16 goblins vs. 7 dwarfs. It was a truly glorious dance of death. Sure, goblins were butt naked and weaponless but hey, unfair gladiator fights are what gladiator fights were all about, right?

Burnup

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill until you can't, Then savescum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25193 on: August 31, 2012, 09:37:58 am »

In my last siege, I decided to fight head on. No traps, no balista, no towers/walls.
Just open hillside 10 troll, 20 archer, 40 spear, with various leaders.
against my 233 dwarven army..
10 dwarves dead 7 wounded.
all trolls dead, all archers dead, all enemy leader MULTI-TARGETED and dead, out of the speargoblins about 5 escaped.

Victory!
Just tell her that you were merely doing what the voices in your head were telling you to do.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25194 on: August 31, 2012, 09:41:35 am »

It is mid summer now, and a couple arrived with some minor in damand skills. I have also found that, based on my dead list, there appears to be a three-way war going on in the caverns between a tribe of olm men, one of reptile men, and a group of gorlaks.

My two axemen are now training diligently, having just slain some annoying grasshoppermen, and a caravan from home has arrived. Sadly, I have nothing to trade so i may have to depot rip them for the supplies.

SaberMonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25195 on: August 31, 2012, 10:53:05 am »

I checked my stocks last night and I had exactly 1337 metal bars.

Maur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25196 on: August 31, 2012, 11:36:59 am »

Oh my god... they murdered everyone... first they attacked the rearmost wagons, and then crossed the first gate and entered the depot... slaughtered everyone, merchants, guards, animals. No there is blood and bodies everywhere behind the inner wall...

Hopefully the Mountainhome guildmaster won't be too angry because of unexplainable disappearance of this year caravan :/

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25197 on: August 31, 2012, 01:21:31 pm »

Just booted up Glacialhell again and I recalled that a Draltha had killed one of the Lifeminers while they were assiting with skeleton disassmbleage. So I have opted to deploy The Armored Roses, the speardorf, to deal with it. Taking all bets on the bastard killing all four dwarves! And either way, I need to have somebody recover the corpse, so what's the difference if four more die getting him out of there? The Lifeminers shaped this icy shithole and they deserve respect!

EDIT: I'm getting really irritated by my people insisting on dying down in that passage. Why the clothier was down there I can't even fathom but A giant toad has murdered him and now my troops are going to go murderize that little fucker.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25198 on: August 31, 2012, 03:50:19 pm »

Loading up Cryptclear after a DF break.  Nothing much is happening, aside from clouds spawning every once in a while.  There is now a streak of vomit across the landscape from where a herd of...louse people I think it was blundered into one of the clouds.  It adds some color to the otherwise colorless landscape - so much snow.

Debating a magma pump project to thaw the stream.  It will probably end badly.

The only real news is that the miners finally cleared out one level completely of marble, so now my steel industry is without pause.  Gotta crank through 2000+ units of both iron and coke somehow!

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25199 on: August 31, 2012, 04:14:15 pm »

Oh the military woes.

When I see goblins stabbing with their bronze spears, bitting, scratching through ☰iron☰ armour of you recruits you painfully micromanaged in hopes they will use right equipment and effective training schedule...then I just remember how frustrated I get sometimes with whole since-DF2010-new military system, despite fully acknowledging how brilliant it is in it's core.
Not to mention goblins eventually kill my soldiers by punching them in the face.

Oh well, maybe I just got some hardcore goblins in this world.
Pages: 1 ... 1678 1679 [1680] 1681 1682 ... 3839