Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1649 1650 [1651] 1652 1653 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122482 times)

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #24750 on: August 11, 2012, 09:27:13 pm »

The merchants from Mong Tadin have arrived.

After the debacle with the Elves, it will be a pleasure dealing with the humans.  Just a quick look reveals they must be training up a new batch of armour smith apprentices - nothing but the lowest quality iron/bronze armour - mostly boots and gauntlets - only one iron mail shirt.  All large so they are purchased for melting down.  A couple more great axes for my collection as well as several mauls and war hammers.  Hope they like my series of historical figurines which feature such treasures as a human hunter being struck down by a Forgotten Beast with the lofty title of "Sakzul Oddomenal Epo Mangepuke the Lurid Phlegm of Cats" in the Swamp of Organs (way back the year 17).  And another human named Lasiv Questedbranded who hunted the great beast 103 years later, (we're all aquiver to find out how that quest ended).

An experiment has been initiated with GCS in an attempt to expand the Dwarven datalinks concerning the noble arachnid - details as they come to hand.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

angrysully

« Reply #24751 on: August 11, 2012, 09:36:00 pm »

Just auto saved again at year 16, so 11 years of survival with 177 dwarves so far.  My cap is 500 so I hope to keep going without too much trouble.  I will probably start working on a special forces group of maybe 50 dwarves
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lord Inquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24752 on: August 11, 2012, 09:38:03 pm »

Just auto saved again at year 16, so 11 years of survival with 177 dwarves so far.  My cap is 500 so I hope to keep going without too much trouble.  I will probably start working on a special forces group of maybe 50 dwarves

having dinner room in hell good way to get invited to armoks private parties., only the elite get to go.
http://cataclysm.tiddlyspot.com/index.html Cataclysm Roguelike game Tiddlywiki mostly out of date
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113337.0 Who makes alcohol? do you? post here then.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24753 on: August 11, 2012, 10:59:10 pm »

I'm working on a plan to train my archers, as my melee dwarves are way ahead of them in prowess. The last three sieges have taken 3+ months to end, just because each siege has a couple of gobbos on giant cave swallows that they only manage to shoot down long after the rest of their army has been hacked and hammered to pieces. But my embark site has both good and evil biomes, and I'm finally starting to realize I ought to be exploiting this.

To that end, I'm planning out a shooting gallery underneath the evil forest, the usual pit-surrounded-by-fortification type. I intend to dump a bunch of enemies into it, then rotate teams of archers to guard that burrow. They kill the enemies, the enemies come back as zombies, they kill the zombies, and so on forever. If I need to clean the place up, I can let them out through a drawbridge that leads them to another shooting gallery on the good side, where they'll stay dead.

I only hope it's not possible to shoot a piece off someone such that it flies off and through a fortification. Hmm, then again, if I can find enough straight border, I could actually place all the fortifications on the good side.

Wonder how many zombies I need to make it so something's always moving around...

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24754 on: August 11, 2012, 11:40:03 pm »

Well, this is interesting. I figured my new fort would be entirely a war party. I outfitted them all with dog leather outfits copper battle axes, and figured I'd feed them with a small supply of plump helmets and gathered food. A pick would be bought with whatever scraps I'll get by the time a caravan comes.

Far more successful than I would have thought, and I am currently training 3 squads of 2 with nothing but crafted leather armor (in progress) and wooden swords. The other military has killed several animals now, mostly panda's and badgers. That has fed us plenty by itself, with most of the gathered plants used for drinks (though I have no aversion to drinking from ponds).

My biggest problem so far was assigned armor that wasn't being worn. I believe the culprit is the "over clothing", so I am now changing that. The next hole is in the lack of greaves. I'm making bone greaves continuously now to account for that.

No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24755 on: August 11, 2012, 11:42:22 pm »

If you could make bone-tipped or small sharpened rock spears then it would be complete: This army made due with the worst possible gear, and stomped the shit out of everything. Or, This army always uses the worst gear, has an attrition rate that rivals the Red Army at Stalingrad, but they still win.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24756 on: August 12, 2012, 12:55:16 am »

Well, this is interesting. I figured my new fort would be entirely a war party. I outfitted them all with dog leather outfits copper battle axes, and figured I'd feed them with a small supply of plump helmets and gathered food. A pick would be bought with whatever scraps I'll get by the time a caravan comes.

Far more successful than I would have thought, and I am currently training 3 squads of 2 with nothing but crafted leather armor (in progress) and wooden swords. The other military has killed several animals now, mostly panda's and badgers. That has fed us plenty by itself, with most of the gathered plants used for drinks (though I have no aversion to drinking from ponds).

My biggest problem so far was assigned armor that wasn't being worn. I believe the culprit is the "over clothing", so I am now changing that. The next hole is in the lack of greaves. I'm making bone greaves continuously now to account for that.

This is awesome and I approve.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24757 on: August 12, 2012, 03:22:03 am »

Year 6 of Cryptdagger coming to a close. 

A batch of cave crocodiles matured and was war trained.  The few dogs have been sent into retirement as pets or detection animals while crocs have the door guard positions to deter the kobolds.  The extra crocs have been put in cage with a lever near the access tunnel in a room with a few war-trained giant spiders (a GCS and a elf-supplied Giant Jumping Spider).  The captured and tamed Giant Gray Langur population is breeding and has essentially become the fortress' extra meat supply to supplement the eggs and quarry bush leaves which are the dining mainstay.

The industrial output continues to run strong and the Manager is putting the forges to use to train a lot of apprentice armor and weapon smiths.  We have copper to spare, so bolts, serrated discs, and spiked balls are being produced in quantity.  Between runs a few forges are reserved for the master smiths to make steel armor and weapons to equip the armed forces with.

The militia is proceeding fairly well.   A few weapon lords are available now, and the alert squads are larger and better equipped.

The fortress itself has mainly stayed static in build.  Walls are being engraved, but only the mining galleries are actually expanding.  The surface outworks have grown though - the second floor of the Keep was completely roofed to hold barracks.  And a series of walls out in the embark channel visitors in certain directions and over weapon traps and other hazards.  An open yard near the Postern Gate and its partially paved plaza holds a particularly nasty surprise.

The only siege this year was by the humans and not the goblins.  Apparently upset with their diplomat being killed last year (shot by goblins when he tried to leave through a tunnel they were attacking) the humans sent a squad of crossbowmen to the fort rather than a trade caravan.  After camping on the border of dwarven territory for six weeks the squad finally opted to assault the work parties near the Postern Gate.  The workers easily made it inside, and the humans discovered a number of things:
1. Their spies had not spotted all the traps
2. Elite Marksdwarves behind fortifications are dangerous
3. That single fortification at ground level near the wide corridor can suddenly shoot a cloud of 60-70 spears and serrated discs at high velocity.

We're not sure whether we want peace, or the humans to simply try harder next year.

And the minecart "gun" ammo load-out is now easily twice that of the first shot.  Time to work out some spare pre-loaded carts for rapid follow-up.
(Which was easy to do.  Forbid the loaded cart and add another cart to the route - the new one is getting loaded while the loaded one sits there.)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 12:22:15 pm by Oaktree »
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #24758 on: August 12, 2012, 03:41:41 am »

<facepalm.tga>
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

PaleBlueHammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24759 on: August 12, 2012, 10:41:52 am »

I had a peasant spontaneously combust in the middle of my booze storage, setting off an apparent booze-splosion chain reaction, igniting a grass fire (this level is sand and is covered with shrubs and such), killing one pastured pet rabbit and carving a little path of vaporized glass rum pots through my stockpile.

Ten minutes later, another peasant catches fire in the refuse dump room, this time behind a closed door.  Both are reduced to ashes and a hugely damaged rag of clothing or two.  Smoke boils out, dorfs avoid it for a second, then dead peasant ashes.  Slabbed both of them.

??? I'm playing 34.11 vanilla, except for LNP and a tileset.  WTF kind of syndrome causes COMBUSTION?  And when did they add booze-splosions back in again?  The only thing that is in any way special about this embark is it's on a lair, but I've found nothing at all out of place so far (flat desert 5x5).

Quote from: misko27
If adamantine is revealed for more then 2 years without being completely mined it all turns into galena. Useless, Useless Galena.

Terra_Inc

• Bay Watcher
  • insanity++;
    • View Profile
« Reply #24760 on: August 12, 2012, 10:42:32 am »

The dwarves of Lakecrypts are threatened by the first ambush. They managed to kill the goblins that had come inside, but there are still four of them left outside the gates. Almost every one is fine, only one of our miners was injured. Seems like a fractured leg.

The fortress is secure for now, there are no important surface installations and no weaknesses in our defense. They can't come in and we won't come out. And when we do, it will be with steel axes and heavy armor. Hope you like being dismembered, gobbos.

EDIT: The inevitable happened. Our newly assembled Gravel of Counsellors, heavily armed and armored axedwarves, went outside and killed the remaining goblins. One of them, the brave Oddom Debbenber, suffered a fatal injury to the heart, despite her armor. She will be buried according to traditional Dwarven rites and the Gravel of Counsellors will defend Lakecrypts in her name from now on.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 10:58:09 am by Terra_Inc »
Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal...

~HPL~

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24761 on: August 12, 2012, 12:13:59 pm »

I breached the first cavern with my , and things started to get more interesting. We now have less access to water, since we have to go up 14 levels just go reach the pond. We also started creating beds, which are all entirely full.

Biggest problem now? cave critters. A few have died already, with the biggest contributer a giant cave spider. The problem here was that the giant cave spider was first encountered by off-duty military (I have to have some if I'm to haul crap around and butcher corpses). When military got there, itw asn't as big of a problem. I have to be careful I only send out those with actual metal weapons though, which is an issue since all my weapons are coming from the caravan. As a side issue, that webbing keeps getting in the way of people gathering refuse. Hmm...

The original plan was to create a small plump helmet farm once we breached the cavern, but I think I changed my mind with the stressfulness of butchering stray animals.

Now my biggest problem, predictably, is hauling. 15 dwarves, and only a couple of non-soldiers to move around all this freaking refuse (let alone the now overabundance of bone greaves and stray corpse parts)
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Mura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24762 on: August 12, 2012, 12:16:40 pm »

PaleBlueHammer: Are you in a Scorching biome? Their fat may have combusted if the temperature is too high.
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Terra_Inc

• Bay Watcher
  • insanity++;
    • View Profile
« Reply #24763 on: August 12, 2012, 12:42:17 pm »

I've begun to build my Warrior's Hall, where the dead militia dwarves are buried. The entrance is placed in a mined-out limonite vein, closed by iron walls and a beautifully decorated iron door, with two goblets in platinum and dwarves in black bronze on it. The hall itself will be only one part of the Great Catacomb, together with a branch for administrators and nobles and another one for artists and craftsdwarves.

I slab-ed a werebeast that attacked the fortress, just for fun. Great Armok, the sadness... it had at one point been a dwarf, mayor of the Road of Grooving, and it had a family. I decided to place the slab as a memorial to all those poor dwarves, doubtlessly bitten by elves, who were driven to attack our fort. Don't know where, yet.
Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal...

~HPL~

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24764 on: August 12, 2012, 01:54:28 pm »

There's an FB buzzing around in my magma pipe that won't land on solid ground so that I can invite it in for dinner, but in the meantime--

The forgotten beast Sanene Enira Rethi has come! An enormous quadruped composed of green glass. It has a long, curly tail and appears to be emaciated. Beware its deadly dust!

oh noes
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 ... 1649 1650 [1651] 1652 1653 ... 3842