Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1647 1648 [1649] 1650 1651 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6122264 times)

angrysully

Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #24720 on: August 10, 2012, 04:17:29 pm »

How wide does a road need to be to be considered a highway?  I want to start working on a highway that halts into a little settlement outside my city.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24721 on: August 10, 2012, 05:29:59 pm »

How wide does a road need to be to be considered a highway?  I want to start working on a highway that halts into a little settlement outside my city.
The only qualifier for a highway is that it's a major road. It's more about what it goes to than how big it is.

angrysully

« Reply #24722 on: August 10, 2012, 05:35:23 pm »

The only qualifier for a highway is that it's a major road. It's more about what it goes to than how big it is.

Well I want to have it go to all 4 directions on the maps and connect to the settlement area I'm going to make outside the fort.  What kinds of things need to be included to make it considered a royal road and doesn't it still need to be a certain width to handle back and forth travel from carts/people.

Other thing I wanted to know is if I can build underground roads and have them function as well.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24723 on: August 10, 2012, 05:44:40 pm »

Well I want to have it go to all 4 directions on the maps and connect to the settlement area I'm going to make outside the fort.  What kinds of things need to be included to make it considered a royal road and doesn't it still need to be a certain width to handle back and forth travel from carts/people.

Other thing I wanted to know is if I can build underground roads and have them function as well.
I don't know what you mean by royal road but you can make sure people use it by designating it as a high traffic zone, carts need a 3 urist wide space to move but they more or less ignore roads.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24724 on: August 10, 2012, 05:49:07 pm »

They tend to prefer using a road if it connects directly to the depot or is the least obstructed path. It's the merchants leadiing regular pack critters that will most often ignor roads though.

angrysully

« Reply #24725 on: August 10, 2012, 06:30:03 pm »

I don't know what you mean by royal road but you can make sure people use it by designating it as a high traffic zone, carts need a 3 urist wide space to move but they more or less ignore roads.

Well, I thought that eventually your city can become the capital of the dwarves so you have make better roads to cover the increased traffic.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24726 on: August 10, 2012, 06:48:14 pm »

Goal: Breed jabberers.
Result: Butcher own dwarf and cook him into a roast.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24727 on: August 10, 2012, 08:28:15 pm »

Desperately attempting to pull up from a tantrum spiral before everybody goes berserk.
We need more coffins dammit!

Also, caught a giant olm. And a fucking skunk of all things. Why couldn't it be one of the rattlesnakes out there, or at least an ostrich?  >:(
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 08:32:25 pm by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24728 on: August 10, 2012, 08:33:14 pm »

Catch more skunks and breed them. Then unleash the resulting skunk army upon a goblin siege. Then proceed to laugh your ass off as goblins get gassed.

Lemons and lemonade and all that jazz.

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #24729 on: August 10, 2012, 09:11:59 pm »

"The Mason cancels Construct Building: Creature occupying site"

Why does this happen when trying to build walls (and sometimes, tables)?
I never had it in earlier updates.

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24730 on: August 10, 2012, 09:17:03 pm »

"The Mason cancels Construct Building: Creature occupying site"

Why does this happen when trying to build walls (and sometimes, tables)?
I never had it in earlier updates.

Just an irritating  bug. Sometimes they'll stand on the thing they're trying to build and block it by mistake. Just gotta redesignate.

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #24731 on: August 10, 2012, 09:26:49 pm »

Whooooooooooaaaaa....

My fortress is getting swarmed by snatchers about now.
But they dont' seem to be interested in kidnapping. They just outright ATTACK the babies. D: And they're babies so they don't really have much chance to defend themselves, leaving baby parts strewn about the lawn.

That's brutal. :(
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 10:51:08 pm by RabblerouserGT »

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24732 on: August 10, 2012, 11:51:27 pm »

Hit a new record for injured bits of a dorf... Everything but one toe is swollen at best.  That toe is gone.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

FB with boiling poison gas breath. Amusingly, the FB was roasting itself with its breath, too.
Six militia tackled it, all survived, one died in the hospital bed (amusingly, the battle was in the hospital) promptly, the one pictured is giving off miasma so I don't have high hopes.

(Never hit post, whoops. Those who didn't die right away made a full recovery)
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

crazyjake56

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24733 on: August 11, 2012, 12:06:37 am »

I have an idea to wall around my little hole in the wall leaving the only entrance as a bridge. While I know how to approach the bridge I don't know how to go about the watchtowers so I'm just gonna fumble around a bit.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24734 on: August 11, 2012, 12:18:50 am »

I just hit a personal record for number of deities worshiped by a single dwarf:

All these gods and she's still unhappy.

Golud the Spongy Pig isn't as exciting as he sounds. He usually takes the form of a male dwarf and is associated with family. But still. Golud the Spongy Pig. Best god ever.

Incidentally, Nadak Bastionjewels is actually associated with wealth and fortresses. Never had a relevantly named goddess before.
Pages: 1 ... 1647 1648 [1649] 1650 1651 ... 3842