Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1641 1642 [1643] 1644 1645 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6121760 times)

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #24630 on: August 06, 2012, 09:59:27 pm »

My dorfs apparently have a thing for nuts... my entire supply of rock nuts has been eaten raw... its the only way I can explain the loss of 50+ rock nuts. At least I got a few good meals out of the leaves, so I can buy more

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24631 on: August 07, 2012, 02:19:42 am »

I have started up a new fort, Wealthlantern.  It's supposedly in the middle of a temperate shrubland/grassland (I forget which) biome and a temperate ocean biome... but I was expecting to see an actual coastline and some ocean water, which I don't in this zone.  Weird.  There is an area of pebbles and driftwood in the west, but it's solid land on the far side of it, not ocean.  I don't get it.

A river empties out into said ocean... well, somewhere, apparently outside the zone.  The climate is warm, so snow isn't a problem.  The site has magnetite and entire layers of marble, so forging steel isn't a problem.  No aquifer.  The site has both sand and fire clay... and I have a Legendary Glassmaker.  Good times.  If I can only manage to get a Legendary Weaponsmith, Armorsmith, and Mechanic...

I have an artifact green glass throne.  I bet the dwarven queen will like that, if this fort lasts long enough.

I'm trying out the 'three bridges' defense strategy in the wiki,which I haven't attempted before.  It looks like it'll be nice once it's completed.  Unfortunately, I spent time fiddling with that instead of properly armoring my first squad of speardwarves.  Results:  one speardwarf instantly killed by a headshot, as well as various other dwarves injured by arrows.  I don't have a hospital yet, either.  I'll have to churn out steel armor faster...  My first two goblin ambushes came in the form of crossbowmen, bowmen, and lashers.  Ouch.

I would like to capture some emus for meat and egg production.  This biome certainly has enough of them.  I've already captured some rattlesnakes, which I haven't really figured out a use for yet.

The caverns don't even start until Z-level... -50 or something ridiculous like that.  If I want magma, we're talking Z-level -100 ish.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 02:47:14 am by MenacesWithSpikes »
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24632 on: August 07, 2012, 02:37:32 am »

The roofs over refuse stockpile and farms are finally complete (Building large structures out of whole rocks in .34.11 takes some serious time!) and food supply seems to be stabilizing, despite the fact that I haven't had a trade depot for the first three years... (Some idiot decided that a chunk of gabbro sitting on the depot construction site would make the perfect finishing touch for those huge-ass roofs.) Maybe I'll even get to actually trade now that this little hiccup's taken care of.
Also, my vanity project called "Down the Billon road" is proceeding nicely.

The miners just found the magma sea, which means magma furnaces for everyone as well as getting rid of every piece of wooden armor and xunwanted clothingx in the fort. (Yay!)
I'm told there's candy somewhere down there as well. If I can get my hands on some of that, it would make a most welcome improvement to the current copper weaponry and armour. (The only ore I've found before hitting the teal stuff was tetrahedrite, and without a depot to trade for cassiterite or iron ores... so yeah.)
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Iosyn

• Bay Watcher
  • KAKAKA
    • View Profile
« Reply #24633 on: August 07, 2012, 04:16:52 am »

I've spent about 2 days trying to gen the perfect world. had a few possibles, but maybe I'm just too picky.

Wants:
Plentiful Sedimentary layers
Plentiful Necromancer Towers
All civs, but not enough to flood the world with mountainhomes.
Thick forests and plenty of rivers.
Terrifying Glaciers
A few small deserts.

Forests, rivers, glaciers and deserts are easy. The rest? not so much.

Raikaria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24634 on: August 07, 2012, 07:16:08 am »

Made a new fort to learn how to set traps, military, ect, in an Terrfiying Biome, nestled at the end of a mountain pass.

Firstly, no undead so far. Had evil dust clouds however.

I had one accident with Trolls and Giant Cats from the Caverns sneaking in, but I've fixed it. No losses except a kitten who got caught in the dust for an extended period, and died a couple of months later from a fever and coughing up blood. Killed about 7 Kobloids too. One died to being caught in a dust cloud that decided to smother him.

Suddenly, with only 43 Urists:

I thought uninvited guests were only supposed to show up with 80+ Urists? Not like he can get into my fort, but there goes my plan to breach the caverns themselves with him lurking down there.

This is my first uninvited guest. I'm so happy :V

EDIT: Without the caverns being actually breached [The accident was walled], and hence, no way for it to get into my fort... it leaves the map... and re-appears in my BEDROOMS a few 'weeks' later. I have no idea how it did this, maybe it surfaced somewhere off the map and walked in through the front door :/ Killed it but lost 2 Urists, including a miner.

The hero took the beast down using only a copper dagger...
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 07:55:47 am by Raikaria »

UristMcLurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24635 on: August 07, 2012, 09:04:24 am »

Just got my first artifact in my new fort: "The Beauty of Discoveries" a palm hatch cover that menaces with spikes of rock salt. Ah well, at least I got a legendary carpenter out of it. :)

Also, I forgot to get the horses outside when a werechinchilla appeared. One of the horses kicked it in the head and it ran off before my militia got there. :(

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24636 on: August 07, 2012, 09:58:47 am »

Update on Ironwinds (HFS-related):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24637 on: August 07, 2012, 10:32:40 am »

The roofs over refuse stockpile and farms are finally complete (Building large structures out of whole rocks in .34.11 takes some serious time!)

1. Build stone stockpile near digging area, accepting that type of stone.  Use 3 wheelbarrows.
2. Put a mason's workshop next to it, link the two, build blocks on repeat
3. Setup a stockpile near your construction site which accepts that type of stone blocks, pull from mason workshop

Construction speeds up a lot when you turn the stone into blocks first.

Urist_McDrowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24638 on: August 07, 2012, 10:41:49 am »

I just did my first !!FUN!! thing.

I set a burrow on my retracting bridge over water.

I then deactivated all meeting zones, but filled all the workshops with orders. I used an alert to get everyone on the bridge. Then, I took off the alert, so the useful people actually went to go do stuff. Then, as I put on "Seasons in the Sun" by Terry Jacks, I dumped all those useless idlers in the drink. And now I have no more dyers, cheese makers, pressers, furnace operators, or novice siege operators with dabbling as all other skills.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24639 on: August 07, 2012, 12:21:09 pm »

I just did my first !!FUN!! thing.

I set a burrow on my retracting bridge over water.

I then deactivated all meeting zones, but filled all the workshops with orders. I used an alert to get everyone on the bridge. Then, I took off the alert, so the useful people actually went to go do stuff. Then, as I put on "Seasons in the Sun" by Terry Jacks, I dumped all those useless idlers in the drink. And now I have no more dyers, cheese makers, pressers, furnace operators, or novice siege operators with dabbling as all other skills.

You live upto your name well!
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24640 on: August 07, 2012, 12:39:37 pm »

I'm currently trying to figure out the newish hauling system. Argleblargle is all I can say about it.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24641 on: August 07, 2012, 03:54:25 pm »

The caravan that had been stuck in my trade depot for over a year was starting to upset me.  So, I decided to take the risk of a loyalty cascade and ordered a 1-man squad to slaughter the merchants.  Unfortunately, he was seen by another soldier, leading to three squads wiping each other out. 

I then decided to order all of my squads into the area.  And then I made a burrow in that area and ordered everyone to get into it.  Over half of my 230+ population fort was slaughtered in the ensuing riot.  Then I abandoned, allowing the murderous military to escape into nearby settlements.  Perhaps I'll run into them again at some point.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #24642 on: August 07, 2012, 04:58:04 pm »

I've finally completed my first pump stack. It took over 200 logs, 40 gear assemblies, 50 galena blocks, and 200 iron bars to make.

Relatedly, if any of y'all were wondering what it looks like when one deploys magma on a glacier...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24643 on: August 07, 2012, 05:02:53 pm »

So in essence, you've begun to turn a giant block of ice into a giant block of obsidian. Very dwarfy indeed good sir Frog.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #24644 on: August 07, 2012, 05:09:23 pm »

No, no, you got it wrong. I'm creating a block of ice out of nothing, then changing it to a block of obsidian.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies
Pages: 1 ... 1641 1642 [1643] 1644 1645 ... 3842