Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108146 times)

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #2460 on: April 26, 2010, 04:29:57 pm »

There's goblins on my patio roof.

I embarked on a volcano near a canyon, and set up shop right by the brook so I'd have water to make farms.  Overtop I built bridges to prevent people being shot(hence patio).  Afterwards I dug up to the surface on the far side and built a bridge across to the jungle on the far side to let in caravans.  A couple times now I've thrown goblins hither and yon by pulling up the bridge, but every time I do that, they rain down 6 levels onto my patio roof and survive.  I tried firing catapults at them for a while and that only killed one.  I daren't train a military until the bugs are fixed.  So I think I'll give them [AQUATIC] briefly, and make better-positioned catapults for next time.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 04:31:33 pm by Corona688 »
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2461 on: April 26, 2010, 05:59:37 pm »

Not exactly in my fort, but I've got something amusing going on in my world.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Yes, it's an ass with very curly charcoal hair that emits poisonous gas. Now don't go ruining my fun by suggesting that it's actually meant to be a donkey.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2462 on: April 26, 2010, 07:04:01 pm »

iggalabshoth has had a horrible day.

First, a dragon shows up (no idea why, they shouldn't until your fort reaches 80 dwarves and such and such wealth, but it does anyway)
It proceeds to murder the dogs outside the drawbridges, then tears down one of them and enters the fortress (No, bridges do NOT protect against building destroyer 2s anymore) I sick the entire military on it, even though we don't have one, i [had] 36 dwarves assigned to squads for the hell of it.
The first guy on the scene sees it and decides "oh hey a dragon, this would be a perfect time for a nap" and is promptly chopped in half. The rest all run into the meeting area, then charge out in single file several seconds later.
the dragon gleefully sets fire to the first six and the forest, killing 3 miners and some peasants, including one baby.
The rest of the idiots finally rush it and drag it to the ground, and one promptly chops it clean in half.

By this time, 90% of the fortress is miserable because I let them idle too much. Now it's pretty much doomed save for the few that don't have any friends.
Ironically, the man who lost his wife and daughter is assigned to butcher the dragon.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2463 on: April 26, 2010, 07:34:23 pm »

Well, I'm trying to figure out a plan for my magma pump stack. I think I might have to route it around the caverns... Either that or I'll have to make some constructed walls for a few levels. Haven't decided which is worse. I'll also need to generate a sufficiently large möbius river for use as a perpetuum mobile in order to get enough power, since I have no river. I figure I can flesh it out with a windmill stack coming off the top though.

My hauling right now is killing me, since a ton of stuff goes down 100z for the magma then comes back up... Even with a garbage shaft from the top to the bottom it still is consuming a massive portion of my workforce, and my miners have been swamped for months with some of my new designations.

Trying to also get the magma works more self-sustaining so I can maybe even shut it away from the rest for a while to cut down on hauling. Milk + roasts could help and I could designate booze to be dumped down the shaft to them as well.

I have an aquifer near the top of my map which I haven't breached yet since I can't figure out a good way to harness it. Perhaps I can make an artificial river draining into the caverns, and have a self-regulating cistern from it for an indoor well.

Last night I had a vision for my megaproject.... The Head of Armok! A gigantic dwarf's head constructed aboveground. Glowing magma eyes behind clear glass windows (or walls if not magma safe). A mouth with an internal magma cistern, above the entrance to my fortress. The jaw will be made from stone, as with the teeth. Gaps will be left and filled with more glass, save for the bottom lip which is a wide magma-safe drawbridge. Opening it will cause magma to spew forth from the mouth of Armok. A constructed beard the likes of which have never been seen. The hair will be made of some valuable thing, don't know what yet. Gold if I can manage it, maybe silver if not. Designing a draining system for the magma vomit may dictate that I move my fortress entrance and seal up the old one; doable. I want it to be relatively self-contained so that I don't have to refill the cistern unless something goes terribly wrong. I may decide to build parts of it from obsidian; it will increase the complexity of the task, but make it look quite impressive. Maybe for the hair and have metal strands run through it. The cranium area shall hold my most royal suite, right near the magma. 
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 08:24:39 pm by Daenyth »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2464 on: April 26, 2010, 09:12:24 pm »

Went back to 40d until 31.04 comes out.

I embarked on a perfectly flat site with sand, magma, and the source of a brook. It's probably the best fortress I've ever made. I've separated it into four main areas:

Agricultural: My farms. Accessible from my food stockpile.

Industrial: My workshops, color-coded. Every workshop is here. No exceptions. Also my raw materials stockpiles (stone, wood, bones/shells/skulls, leather, cloth, etc.)

Residential: Bedrooms, duh.

Communal: Dining room, food/booze/furniture/finished goods stockpiles, barracks, archery range, live fire area(goblin execution), offices, and tombs. My second artifact was a jasper opal coffin that will be used for my king. The communal area links everything together.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2465 on: April 26, 2010, 09:17:45 pm »

1060 has been a year of soaring profits...and significant one-time losses.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2466 on: April 26, 2010, 09:21:59 pm »

Right Now I'm trying to Figure out why it crashes every time I scroll over globs in my stocks menu  :'(
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2467 on: April 26, 2010, 10:33:05 pm »

Not exactly in my fort, but I've got something amusing going on in my world.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Yes, it's an ass with very curly charcoal hair that emits poisonous gas. Now don't go ruining my fun by suggesting that it's actually meant to be a donkey.

And a "long, swinging trunk" on the other side?
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2468 on: April 26, 2010, 11:02:42 pm »

I'd say Mothi's going to make for some awkward engravings in the dining room...
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2469 on: April 26, 2010, 11:48:42 pm »

Started another fort after th last one ended in absolute chaos.

Yet again, dragons attack before their time. A SKELETAL dragon. This time I have a fortress built underground, so i just sealed a hall with a door, but i still only have my starting seven. it'll probably roast the first few waves of migrants before it finally gets bored and leaves. It DID roast all five of the horses and my craftsman, who all refused to go inside for some odd reason. It burned ALL of my supplies, they were all still on the wagon  :'( We are SCREWED.
Did you know melting gypsum in dragon fire gives you magma?
Lizard breath also set fire to the lignite, dunno how long that'll burn.

Show me for embarking on a site with serene mountains and sinister tundra.
Lignite does not stop burning apparently.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 12:49:27 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2470 on: April 27, 2010, 01:15:23 am »

Hi!

Now, that was something different indeed.
As I said before, I have switched invaders on because I want to test my traps against armored opponents (for unarmored elephants, it has been a thorough slicing and dicing). However, I still have a few hundred logs to gather from the outside into the save confines of the fortress to avoid ambush casualties.

This has led to the first serious combat action involving dwarves in a long time - but neither with goblins (haven't attacked yet) nor kobolds (have just been running away, and my giant leopard needs to do some extra sprinting training (T_T) ), but with tigermen which have been strolling into and out of my map all the time. Two of my dwarves who were collecting the logs met a small group of tigermen, so each of them got his/her individual fight.

The girl friend of my medical dwarf (a rare case where I have a male noble) got her lung wounded among other things and was bleeding extremely for quite a while. Fortunately, some of my animals were quite fond of her and drove away the attacker.

The youngest dwarf in the fortress, a boy who immigrated in the first year together with his single mom who had just turned 13, got his leg cut open, but he gave the tigerman quite a fight (since I give all my dwarves either mining or woodcutting, he was carrying an axe, even though he has never cut a tree). The end of that fight was quite glorious. Both were quite injured. The tigerman used his upper arm to hold a finger of the dwarf (okay, I can't imagine what that looks like). Trying to get free, the young dwarf swings his axe and hacks off the tigerman's lower arm, killing the tigerman in doing so (and yes, it was the arm that was holding the dwarf).

While the lover has been rescued and is now in the hospital waiting (for months now) for diagnosis and getting fed and everything, the young dwarf never tried to rest and was not rescued, even though he had lost the ability to stand. He eventually died of thirst as they would not register that he needed someone to give him food/drink (I admit that I save-scummed once to try a different approach in saving him, but there was nothing I could do).

Collecting the wood is making progress and since I missed trading with the humans and dwarves this year, I have enough dwarves with some time to spare. So, I am optimistic that I will have the wood inside when the first ambush comes.

Deathworks

Hondo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2471 on: April 27, 2010, 01:51:14 am »

I'm on my second reclaim. Each time, the goblin ambushers who wiped me out have become friendly and served as my fortress guards until they spread too thin to save me from subsequent ambushes. On this current run, I got a wall up and some glass saw traps. I'd have a military for defense, but nobody's picking up any armor, even with the help of an arsenal dwarf. If it's phantom-claimed, I could make more armor and swords and see if they'll take those, but my picks are also phantom-claimed and I have no ore.

Next task is to melt up a couple new picks and see if they'll use those. If not, I'm going to use my Dwarven Repeater to make an autostab room and burrow everyone inside.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2472 on: April 27, 2010, 02:00:07 am »

looks like my little disaster got that much worse.

after the last update, two waves of migrants came, both slaughtered.
I decided to build a trap to drop a wall of rock on top of the dragon to prevent it from destroying the caravan, but even though i finish it, i was too late.
The caravan arrives, along with my liason. While the liason is promptly torched, the caravan guards are apparently able to chop the skeletal dragon clean in half, putting it down for good.  :o
But the Fun can't end there, can it? oh no no no who would even consider such blasphemy.
Next up after realizing this, I pop open the doors and let everyone out, and immediately build a trade depot (I hadn't yet), then everything is fine for a while, until i decide to wall off that burning lignite in the middle of the entry tunnel. I chose to tackle this the hard way and build the outermost wall first, thereby allowing the dwarves to walk over the flaming lignite. One of my two stoneworkers bleeds to death, and the woodsman gets his belly hair burned (a brown wound to the lower body.)
After ll this fun, i finally have the refuse pile moved from the caverns to the surface, where my expedition leader is attacked by a werewolf and has one arm and leg broken, as well as a yellow chest injury. He's still sitting there in the snow, even thoguh i designated a hospital.
There is a total of 14 dead, 5 living (soon to be 4, then 3, then none.)  :'(

I punched myself in the forehead for letting this happen, never should have been fooling around with the raw files.   :-[
I make Spellcrafts!

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2473 on: April 27, 2010, 02:47:57 am »

Axedwarf went into a mood and started asking for shells.  I had assigned 2 WAR BEARS to him, but I forgot to remove his axe.  A siege came, and then soon after he went @.  The war bears were busy hanging out in the dining room at the time, possibly getting drunk so I sent a squad to chase after him.  He caught my jewelrysmith and chopped it into bits just a few seconds before the army got to him.  Right after that, the two very dwarvenly bears showed up and have been keeping an eye on the corpse, ensuring it doesn't try anything or sneak off. 

In other news, I completed my Slurry Factory. When the bridge is opened, all the water gets sucked into an aquifier, and everything else gets caught in the cage traps surrounding it.  So far just a shark, swordfish and assorted other nonsense, but I'm hoping for mermaids or whales soon. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2474 on: April 27, 2010, 03:08:25 am »

I started out a new fort with... FILTHY HUMENS. Yes, I'm horrid. So, lets move on. I managed to start a semi-underground site rather well, got farming and irrigation up, metalbashers are looking good and I've even began on a nice military. All of a sudden, I get a moody dude, who happens to be at the center of a very large network of townspeople. He dies because I don't have sand. Hilarity ensues. I'm gonna reclaim after I get over it.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."
Pages: 1 ... 163 164 [165] 166 167 ... 3842