Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1625 1626 [1627] 1628 1629 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120360 times)

ClkWrkJester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #24390 on: July 22, 2012, 11:34:25 pm »

THE DRAGON HAS ENTERED THE FORT!
THE DRAGON HAS ENTERED THE -static-
Carve out a massive pit and construct a copper block tower! Challenge those goblin bastards with your phallus of justice!

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24391 on: July 23, 2012, 12:02:01 am »

Skullsgate got one more siege before going into mothball status.  Five squads of goblin cavalry (axe, spear x2, lasher, and crossbow) mounted on the usual mix of bats, bears, toads, elk birds, and rats.  The support unit this time was eight war-trained giant cave spiders.

Marksdwarves were sent to firing positions above the postern gate and the new bunker by the main tunnel entrance.  The spiders passed without drawing fire, entered the tunnel and got bisected by weapon traps.  When the axe squad approached I thought the issue was inexperienced dwarves not knowing how to use fortifications correctly, so I shifted them a level lower and opened a full firing port (a raising bridge.) This prompted three goblins riding bats or swallows to invade the bunker - at which point I realized the marksdwarves did not have ammo!  The goblins were repelled and the firing port closed while the squad ran below to refill their quivers.

Meanwhile two goblin squads went up the road past the now closed postern gate.  Between traps and accurate crossbow fire they lost half a dozen mounts and four goblin troopers.  (Highlight was watching a few giant bats get shot down from a few z-levels high and crash with their goblin riders.)

The goblin cavalry from the north and east came up and poured into the tunnel entrance - and started getting chewed up by weapon traps.  Until the point that dead mounts started clogging the traps and even the repeating spike/spear traps.  With things gummed up here the tunnel entrance was sealed and three squads of melee dwarves unleashed via the postern gate to mop up the goblin stragglers and cripples still trying to limp off the field.

At the same time three small melee squads formed up and started clearing out the weapon trap tunnel.  After an initial rush in a wider tunnel the rest of the fight was in narrow 1-wide tunnels that included dwarves falling down pits, being outnumbered at times, and having to charge crossbow goblins.  Things worked out well with only a few minor wounds.

The final nut was a stretch of tunnel that had hatches jammed open prevented melee troops getting to a few goblins and a goblin Axe Lord leader.  With some coaxing a crossbow unit got a line of fire and started fletching the few goblins that were left.  At some point a hatch became unstuck and a few markdwarves ended up in melee combat with (luckily wounded) goblins.  Good thing I've issued bronze and steel crossbows to this squad - they can do a bit of melee damage with them and a few are skilled enough at strike and such to land kill shots that way on cripples. 

One more shipment of goblinite to process. 
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24392 on: July 23, 2012, 12:05:40 am »

I... actually..... feel for them.... God help me.
Those were fine stratagems. I'd only add that you should probably add a side entrance or two, so you can sneak out some Dwarves to attack from behind with the support of Marksdwarves.
Well.... this fort was the first I built that wasn't meant to be a carebear fort. At least, in an attempt to tweak my natural inclinations.

It was possible to construct another platform where I could snipe at them, well, depending on how I path the blocks and LOS..... but I wanted some meelee action and shit. It was fun to watch the ambush, until it turned FUBAR and I realised the goblin had escaped and was in turn luring MY dwarves into an ambush. Just lucky that my militia commander was more imba than I thought:D

I may do so, my original exposed tower(can't recall what its called in castles) was apparently too far away from my entrance so there's some dead ground there. Although that may be a result of the two elite hammer/macelord attracting the combined fire of my three xbow squads.

I still have no idea how the hammergobbo died though, he ended up in my dead gobbo list but I can't find the shot that hit him, other than a single bolt that hit him in the leg. Must be a pansy if that caused him to bleed to death.

My crossbow dwarves have a VERY long kill list though. Its a result of the constant spamming they did against those damn necromancers, before he finally gave up and ran away:D
It was BEAUTIFUL. More than 20 odd dwarves, blasting away at this moving wall of corpses that COULD walk into my fort through the river. And my dwarves just kept killing, and killing, letting loose an occasional shot at a visible necromancer before he hid himself, and then doing so until two necromancers were wounded and ran away, leaving the last necro to raise more corpses to throw at my fort and saying this is absurd:D

My oceans and rivers are now full of SILVER bolts, and the grounds outside my walls littered with silver, bane against the undead:D

I'm still a carebear though. I gave those dwarven corpses a grave in my fort.Only 5 more coffins now and I should suit them all up, I temporarily suspended my cemetary until I gave my own dwarves something better.

Oh. and Amidst all the glories of clearing up my siege, I realised that in my attempt to build an outdoor manuleosm for my vampires, I accidently connected it back to my fort and they're now loose, seeking to drink dwarf blood. One of my dwarf gave a blood tranfusion, before the game crashed and I had to restart...
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 12:12:57 am by PainRack »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24393 on: July 23, 2012, 12:05:38 pm »

Oh bugger, so I was just about to complete the seperation of the chaotic "Old Oilpalm" from the shanty town of "New Oilpalm" via a wall, and let the madness in the original fort run its course.

I just had one door left to place and lock to keep the psychopaths out... But now one has gone berserk right inside the new fort. :-\ At least it's carrying a baby, so that should distract it long enough for me to send some dwarves to beat it down. Heartless? Maybe. But the future of Oilpalm as a whole outweighs the screams of a single child...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

theprofessor!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24394 on: July 23, 2012, 02:45:09 pm »

It's the second year for my fortress Geshudbal "FortressStoned", with Hematite on the calendar, and things have been progressing pretty nicely.  The massive wormy tendril/eyeball stalk forest has been covered up by all the nauseating slime, and it's all a dull brown color now.  I've already completely walled the alcove I built my entrance into, trade depots been brought inside and I've begun pathing a large trap corridor that navigates all my enemies through the nauseating slime and weapon traps.  Since I feel too lazy to make a bridge or some mechanism for bringing caravans in an alternate quick route I've decided to just widen the trap corridor enough so their wagons can go through that way

Already breached my second cavern, which has a magma pool leading to the magma sea.  halfway through walling most of it off so I can turn it into a foundry.  Had our very first casualty during the process of bridging over too the pool itself (my stairs are in the center of the caverns, the pool in the top left. I prefer to go a z-level above the ground in the caverns and just bridge through the growing rocks then channel down near whatever destination I wanna reach too avoid critters) I got thoughtless during the end of the process and accidently caused a single tile to collapse, knocking 2 dwarves into the water nearby.  What's frustrating is they both landed on the ramp part of the water, one dwarf was easily rescued by a worker; but the second dwarf, one of my original 7 and one of my best builder/mechanic/miner types, decides to start swimming away from the ramp and ends up drowning. ah well

Waiting for a female cave crocodile to hit my cage traps then I can start breeding them, but it seems naked mole dogs just love to get captured. Also seized most of an elven caravan goods. Things are going pretty well for this fort, so something horrible should happen soon
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 02:48:08 pm by theprofessor! »

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24395 on: July 23, 2012, 02:54:47 pm »

Project Bastion is a go!

2 of my farmers,1 of my miners, and a few millita dwarfs are situated on top of "The Tower of Happy Pink Bunnys of Joy!"

yes there are 2 rabbits there.

we'll see how this plays out
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #24396 on: July 23, 2012, 04:37:30 pm »

Started a new fortress.

Trader got eaten by GCS in half a year and main woodworker got biten away by giant lizards less than a week after.

Yep, it's Dwarf Fortress allright...
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24397 on: July 23, 2012, 04:44:34 pm »

Recently beat off my first 'decent sized' Goblin Siege with my military being... well... nearly useless.  One unit of Marksdwarves under the Captain of the Guard, and not even full strength.  With just the main walls being up (and drawbridges) along with the moat just starting to fill as the invaders arrived, I wasn't feeling too spunky... considering they brought 8 dragons.

Well, those dragons didn't fly, so that helped, and a few dorfs missed the 'run for cover' alert before the bridges went up.  However, these little buggers just camped outside my walls and I didn't have second level flooring/fortifications in place yet.  Well, fine.  Time to play with catapults!

(read, read, read) Errr, crap, they don't shoot OVER the walls, just through them?  Oh fine, I'll just carve some fortifications into the wall and... errr... burrow here... new alert for the marksdwarves to stand there... SPLAT.  Oh, that worked, very nice.  Open the gates and back to getting the magma forge setup... and seeing how badly I drown my fort out with a well design.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24398 on: July 23, 2012, 05:56:41 pm »

Lord Inquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24399 on: July 23, 2012, 07:38:17 pm »

tantrums spirals in the infernally over friendly children, might be bad as the ledgendry miner has started and he is not supposed to care about people. Tantrums are still running, i blame the brewer fro popoing out kids and the barrel maker going hunting!, i hadent even selected go hunting, it not like there were 5 of the lazy bums in the last wave.
http://cataclysm.tiddlyspot.com/index.html Cataclysm Roguelike game Tiddlywiki mostly out of date
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113337.0 Who makes alcohol? do you? post here then.

Shininglight

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi There
    • View Profile
« Reply #24400 on: July 23, 2012, 07:58:24 pm »

Finally gave up on my last fort after save scumming it twice, once due to zombie dragon and unclosable gates, second time from a stealthed goblin siege consisting of 8 ambush parties and an entire army of war beasts i didn't even know they had, just embarked with my initial cleaning team, 4 miners to dig out the fortress, carpy to build initial fortifications and farmer to keep'em fed long enough for them to work, abandon, move in real migrants, working with a new idea of expanding and digging along veins to give a more organic fortress look, so far so good.
tl;dr: My fortress is literally powered by puppy skulls.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24401 on: July 24, 2012, 01:41:41 am »

After much pitting of armored goblins (they're actually stronger than I am, just caged up) against a Forgotten Beast in the first cavern layer, a second showed up.  These things are downright DEADLY, too.

Trolls, Goblins, you name it, they eat 'em for breakfast.  The Minotaur, however... they ignore.  As well as each other.  So much for baiting them together for a Godzilla vs. Mothra fight.

The first one practically shotguns webs for about 8 boxes.  The second one has a long range frozen extract attack that just obliterates targets.  The first cavern is pretty much officially off limits at this point.  I'm just glad neither can fly and get at my flooring/hatches.  The pitting of the enemy against my enemy, while a lovely idea, has failed.  They'll just have to be target practice.  The minotaur's just icing on the cake, after they were both tossed down 6 Z-levels the minotaur wrestled down and obliterated the Troll that followed him in.  This is not a friendly cave, and it's merely at Z93, I'm barely 5-10 levels above it.  Luckily I've already tunneled way down past it for the magma sea.

Other than that, I've been experimenting with burrows defenses and how to get my marksdwarves to go get more ammo instead of standing there like lumps.

PainRack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24402 on: July 24, 2012, 11:54:36 am »

ARGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just how many god damn ghosts are there in my fort? Out of the numerous artifacts I had so far, I had only 1, ONE that wasn't caused by a possessed dwarf.

My armour dwarf was possessed, so, he created a shitty nickel silver breastplate and I had no skill. I had numerous crafters/metalsmiths give me artifacts, but no skill gain. The only skill gain I had was in a single WOODCRAFTER...................

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #24403 on: July 24, 2012, 12:41:40 pm »

What do ghosts have to do with Possession type of strange mood? O.o

Tangathurist (Trampled Dagger) was cut off the outside world because of a siege for whole winter. Spring rolled in and the fort had a situation like this just a moment ago:

*siege banner dissappears, caravan comes*
Dwarves: Hooray! We can go out and get fresh supplies from the elv-
*a vile force of darkness have appeared!*
Dwarves: FFFUUUUUU-
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

KalLaba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24404 on: July 24, 2012, 03:37:43 pm »

Been recieving several "Urist has given birth to a child" pauses and notifications throught the years, didnt think it was a problem, but when I decided to go through the latest wave of migrants then organized the columns to total assigned labours, my fortress has managed to produce 54 useless dwarf children/babies

Edit : just saw a dwarf trying to build a wall but being crowded by children, blocking the site. She is carrying 1 baby with 2 children following her
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 03:42:55 pm by KalLaba »
Pages: 1 ... 1625 1626 [1627] 1628 1629 ... 3842