Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1618 1619 [1620] 1621 1622 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120865 times)

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #24285 on: July 17, 2012, 12:33:19 am »

The humans just brought me a (liquid Barrel (saguaro rib)).
Contents: (liquid [10])
This is a stack of 10 liquid.

Obviously I'm going to buy it, but what should I do with it then? Lock it & a Fish Dissector in a room together & see if she drinks it?

They don't. People have tested it, thats from a oyster or something.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24286 on: July 17, 2012, 12:57:51 am »

Hmm, I still haven't gotten around to testing that (Deer N/A) I bought from the humies...

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24287 on: July 17, 2012, 01:38:07 am »

I tested it a while back, in 31.25 and it caused a crash as soon as it was actually spread on the ground. I had deer n/a as well.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24288 on: July 17, 2012, 12:19:53 pm »

The main part of the palace has been completed. The royal residences are finished and considered "Royal" by the king. Managed to merge the king and queen's seperate rooms into one room designation using internal door settings.

The royal mausoleum is also considered "Royal", although the engravers haven't quite finished decorating the place. The dining room has also been royalized. The princess' floor has also been completed, as has the roof of the central keep.

The only things left are the dungeon(almost done), food storage(in progress) which also serves as a roof to the training halls, and the towers by the main gate.

Spoiler: Screenies (click to show/hide)

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Caprealis

• Bay Watcher
  • The Next Crusade~ Praise Armok!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24289 on: July 17, 2012, 12:36:33 pm »

Everything seems to be doing fine as usual..

I opened up the 2 layer cavern, To clear out any FB's in there.. all 7 of them actually.
They all came charging into the dugout, And got stuck on the ledge, Now I have my one man
Archer squad using a artifact bow train on them for the next little while..
Then ill add the corpses to my collection.

I only lost one dwarf due to needing something to lead the Fb's in.. The poor guy fell down the channel and is now
rotting to death. He is unconscious and about to starve. Which I think is a better fate then hauling him up to the hospital
and giving everyone un happy thoughts about the massive clouds of Miasma that will pollute the main staircases
Hello, My name is irrelevant, And I represent no one.
And there is no place like 127.0.0.1

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24290 on: July 17, 2012, 01:34:03 pm »

I got greedy and performed post besiege, far-corner to far-corner area reclaim.  The last mtnhome trader caravan and wagons got jumped in no man's land.  No mans's land, is that 11 block donut paint restricted on the fringes of this heavily forested-high savage 5x5 region.  Hauling lotsa freebie things in, right now.  But lost two soldiers clearing the path to it.  A Lasher, found out the hard way, survived their siege on the caravan. 

Managed to get a sniper roost setup, in this fortress.  Defend burrow works, aslong as they all defend it.  Found the burrow leak, it was the 5 off duty soldiers.  Keeping them off active, until I need them, so they help the industry.  Seems to be progressing good.  About to work on some track laying, for the first time.  I like your idea of a corpse coaster,  Sutremaine.  Think that will be my first one, if I can figure tracks out.  Sincerely, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #24291 on: July 17, 2012, 04:19:16 pm »

Werebeasts are building destroyers. Just found out when one of the peasants in my forts was trying to stockpile some socks the werebeasts had just dropped. They tore through 5 marble doors before turning back into Dwarves.

That was... Interesting.

*Edit

Another flock of ravens just arrived. Largest one so far, over 11 ravens. Four Military squads were activated and one put in reserve to protect the industries and civilians.
Out of nowhere, Asmel W.C. 002-01 begins attacking the ravens by herself. Turns out she was just loitering outside the Fortress walls for some unknown reason.
She killed all of the ravens. Slightly surprised there, but not by much. Then I check her thoughts screen

- "...Suffered minor injuries recently."

AAAAAAAAAAND her lungs were torn open. Being a werecreature has perks I guess.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 05:29:30 am by Loud Whispers »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24292 on: July 17, 2012, 06:36:45 pm »

I like your idea of a corpse coaster,  Sutremaine.  Think that will be my first one, if I can figure tracks out.
I haven't done the major part yet, which is the P-shaped section of track at the bottom with fortifications and gaps to keep things from the magma from wandering up into the fortress. The path is in place now, but it's not going to be nearly as much fun if the dwarf can't ride the cart a hundred levels down and jump through two cart-sized holes in the wall before hitting the inertial damper track stop and pushing the cart back up.

It'd be much more practical to dig a single shaft and dump bodies down it using a cart parked on a track stop (perhaps with a second short track connected to a retracting bridge at the bottom of the shaft, for security), but this struck me as being the more interesting option.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Caprealis

• Bay Watcher
  • The Next Crusade~ Praise Armok!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24293 on: July 18, 2012, 03:13:44 pm »

-Wakes up from falling asleep at work-
-Checks DF-

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Curse you ARMOK!@!@!@#!

-Reloads save-

Everything is back to normal.. + a mood, + A FB + migrant wave.

Another low wave of 4 dwarfs.. Just like the last half dozen waves, I'm trying to get 500 people.. 3-7 at a time is not helping.
-Population is at 291-

Now.. back to sitting here till the shift is over.. And I can play some more on my bus ride home.

-Edit

Is it normal to have a fortress that's a dozen years old with no criminals? Or vampires. Or anything generally wrong with your dwarfs?

« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 03:16:51 pm by Caprealis »
Hello, My name is irrelevant, And I represent no one.
And there is no place like 127.0.0.1

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24294 on: July 18, 2012, 04:10:32 pm »

Skullsgate enters "The Golden Age" as Year 7 begins.

Year 6 was slightly more placid than Year 5 and it's seasonal goblin sieges (four that year).

The one goblin siege was a cavalry assault that arrived right after the dwarven caravan entered the fort.  It came to rapid grief in the gamut of weapon traps guarding that entrance and left stragglers lurking about for a number of weeks afterwards.  These were eventually hunted down by a few expeditions with militia units.  (Nice cooperative assaults with a marksdwarf unit advancing and shooting down the flying mounts and then the melee units charging in to finish things off before the marksdwarves ran out of bolts.)

Year 6 was more of an emphasis on monster attacks.  An ettin was caught in a cage trap.  A minotaur tried a different approach and fell to a weapon trap.  The final attack of the year was by the local mountain titan; Slonu Uxzolos Oruxsmoxut (Blazecreatures the Granite Savage). 

Slonu was a great three-eyed tapir who emitted poisonous gas.  He attacked the postern gate from the south.  The fort gathered melee squads and war dogs to defend the bailey there while the Captain of the Guard took his marksdwarf squad to their barracks.  This location had arrow slits overlooking the postern gate door and also a section of roof the titan would need to cross traversing the route between the doors and hatches.

And while the titan was pounding his way through the first door the marksdwarves started firing bronze bolts into him from a safe distance away.  Once the titan fell over the shots concentrated on the body and things were over quickly once both lungs were severely damaged.  Titan stew is currently on the menu for the next season or so.

Things have peaked out in terms of industry.  Cloth industry producing both silk, rope reed, and pig tail products.  Steel demand is still high for armor and weapons, but goblinite has produced an iron surplus that is just taking time to process.  There are sufficient reserves of bronze that the marksdwarf units are being equipped with bronze armor and crossbows. 

Most militia units are training eight months a year with a few full-time squads.  Average skill level is 4 with a weapon, equivalent level in Fighter, and a few levels in other skills such as Dodge, Shield Use, etc. 

Another training option going on is having the high level craftsdwarves step aside to other tasks and getting a lot of dwarves cross-trained to an adequate level in multiple jobs.  Goal here is when these dwarves go back into the civilization pool the future migrant waves have a good chance of including a few dwarves that are competent with a weapon, combat, and at least mildly trained in a few useful fortress skills.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24295 on: July 18, 2012, 04:28:29 pm »

OH GOD THEY DON'T STAY DEAD. So much for that fort. Got attacked by an alligator 2 minutes in, I killed it at least twenty times before it finished off all of my dwarves. The new evil biomes don't play very nice.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24296 on: July 18, 2012, 04:35:48 pm »

Due to a significant lack of metals and sedimentary layers (thus having a pretty spongy set of warrior dwarves), but a huge volume of magma-proof stone, the fort has slowly been mining out the necessary materials for a magma proof fort... and overly large 'fuggit' cistern that will eventually be the destination of a magma pump stack from a magma vent that starts about 40 Z's down in the second cavern.  The eventual goal is to have one of these magma cisterns on both sides of the river and to simply attach them to a lever.

Siege?  Pull.
Attack? Pull.
Annoyed in general? Pull.  Possibly with the shaft that was drilled for cavern access open since I didn't open those from the main production shafts.
Elven Traders?  Pull. PULL PULL PULL PULL PULL.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #24297 on: July 18, 2012, 05:04:56 pm »

Found an embark where the ocean is narrow enough that two landmasses are connected. So a bridge is going to be built here. Not going to be very hard, since there are about 50 squares of water between the two shores.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24298 on: July 18, 2012, 05:16:07 pm »

All 5 of my hunters are shooting the same ostrich. >:(

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24299 on: July 18, 2012, 05:18:01 pm »

Hmm, a cyclops is pounding on the door...

Meanwhile, the only dwarf that I've kicked out of the militia in this fort withdraws from society...  (He kept getting unhappy and throwing tantrums complaining about the draft, the weather, whine, whine, whine.  So I kicked him out of his squad, made him the only pump operator in the fort, and put a pump down in the mining levels that moved nothing.  And then smoothed and engraved some wall around it.  And he was sent to unceasingly pump nothing in isolation - unless I needed refuse hauled.)

So he moods, takes over a mason's workshop and makes perhaps the ultimate piece of noble's room furniture.  Skullsgate presents -
Dengstarmarkoth, The Vermillion Prophecies. (72,000 db)

This is a lignite table.  All craftsdwarfship yadda yadda yadda.  It is encrusted with oval cut light yellow diamonds, decorated with fungiwood and encircled with bands of round lignite cabochons, tunnel tube, and llama wool.  This object is adorned with hanging rings of giant ibex leather and menaces with spikes of black-cap.
On the item is an image of dwarves in rose gold.  The dwarves of traveling.  The artwork relates to the foundation of Skullsgate by The Maroon Pillar of The Subtle Stake in the early spring of 116.

Just the thing for an annoying noble's dining room; after you set it on fire...

And my "jerk" dwarf is now the happiest guy in the fortress.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 06:19:47 pm by Oaktree »
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart
Pages: 1 ... 1618 1619 [1620] 1621 1622 ... 3842