Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972752 times)

Rozenbuddy

• Bay Watcher
  • High on Caffine
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #240 on: November 15, 2009, 09:05:15 pm »

This isn't current but I never posted it before... but... when I had a humie above-ground fort, I lost tons of the tard's because they jumped into a well while trying to drink... wait a second, I'm a human!

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 15, 2009, 09:09:15 pm »

I just found my Underground River by exploratory mining.

This is IMPORTANT, because I'm playing on a Mountain/Desert map with no water and basically no trees. I'm up to 59 Dwarves, and was already getting Ambushes... which gets really tricky, since even a minor wound will inevitably lead to death by dehydration (wounded Dwarves will ONLY drink water).

By excellent luck combined with extreme cowardice, I've managed to repel every Ambush up until now without sustainang ANY wounds at all... my Herbalist who set off the last ambush successfully ran through a hail of crossbow bolts (every shot MISSED) to reach safety... but that sort of luck isn't going to last.

Finally I can now build a Well (to nurse any potential injured Dwarves), and start a few large Tower-Cap farms... which will give me enough Wood to start building Cages for my defensive perimeter.

My Underground River just starts out of nowhere in a cloud of mist in the middle of the map, runs several tiles sideways, and plunges into a small chasm, creating lots of Mist. I'm going to channel out the area above it for a Dining room... with grates in the floor to let in the Mist.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 09:27:38 pm by blue emu »
Never pet a burning dog.

Fien

• Bay Watcher
  • I kinda miss 40d, I knew how that worked.....sorta
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 15, 2009, 09:15:30 pm »

Damn near starved over the winter (food stores in the single digits.) Had to slaughter some animals and finally suffered the indignity of gathering plants *shudder*. Farms are back up and running so I should fine. Meanwhile I'm trying to get two all champion squads going.

Other than that it's just making more housing for the next immigrant wave and shit like that.
In his house at Fondledbread, bored Cthulhu sits playing.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 15, 2009, 09:43:24 pm »

Successful controlled-collapse of a 50x30x7 or so area. Learned a new, pretty simple technique for hollowing out non-square / difficult-to-channel-entirely areas: just dig the area away, channel the edges, and build a simple contrusted wall on each floor, support on the bottom. Lever = hoorah, randomly dug area becomes magical giant room. No dwarfs hurt, only one who was nearby choked on dust (though he was actually thrown quite a ways away, managed to stay unharmed though).

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #244 on: November 15, 2009, 11:48:40 pm »

I just found out my super-spike-trap that took almost two years to build... is completely ineffective against the megabeasts I'm dealing with.  :(

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 16, 2009, 12:11:50 am »

I just found out my super-spike-trap that took almost two years to build... is completely ineffective against the megabeasts I'm dealing with.  :(

I know the feeling. I've been building a corridor of spikes for over three years now - first thing that happens is an ambush slips through my lever-toggled backdoor my woodcutters were using, second thing is a skeletal wyvern flies over my wall and hovers just above the ground, harassing my haulers.

In the end, nothing is a substitute for a well trained military. The traps do most of the killing in my fort, but you always need a few dozen soldiers to clean up after them.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 16, 2009, 05:47:48 am »

I just had the most comical accident that I've ever seen in Dwarf fortress.

In order to properly explain what went wrong, I'll have to first explain how my defense system works.

My Fortress is underground, entered via a five-tile wide tunnel driven horizontally into a steep cliff face. I've built a castle just outside my entrance, with a gate-house surmounted by fortified battlements.

Hostile invaders will first have to survive enfilading fire from my Marksdwarves positioned behind the fortifications on top of my wall, then force their way in over the drawbridge (which I usually leave open), through a field of cage-traps, then cross the outer compound (which is where my Melee Dwarves train and practice), and then force open the doors to my entrance hall.

The entrance hall itself is deadly enough... it has several more rows of cage-traps, dry-moats on both flanks and at the end of the hall, behind which are fortifications screening three rooms for Archers. This allows me to bring enfilading fire on anyone trying to cross the traps.

When enemies attack, my first response is always to order the civilians indoors... to prevent them from suicidally running out into the fray to grab the socks or weapons dropped by a slain enemy. Unfortunately, when ordered indoors, the civilians tend to pack themselves into the trapped entrance hall, congesting that area and offering easy targets to any enemy who penetrates that deep into my defenses.

I decided to improve my defenses, by channeling away the roof of my entrance corridor... thus converting it to "Outdoors", so the civilians would automatically flee deeper into the fortress (at least as far as the stairway) when the alarm sounds.

Unfortunately... I made a tiny miscalculation when designating which areas to channel out.

Picture this: My Legendary Minor is eight levels up the side of the mountain, chipping away the roof directly above the trapped portion of my entrance hall. Unfortunately (and unknown to me), he is standing on ONE roof tile, and happily chopping out the only tile that SUPPORTS it. :o

A caravan has arrived, and my civilians are hauling goods out to the depot. SUDDENLY... the enemy attacks! I sound the alarm... Military Dwarves run out to man the castle walls, all civilians run indoors! Just as my civilians are flooding through my entrance, my Legendary Miner succeeds in chopping away the last roof-tile that supports the section that he is standing on... the entrance hall roof collapses!

Carnage ensues...

The Legendary Miner, surrounded by a seething cloud of collapse debris, plummets eight levels down and lands directly on top of the struggling mass of civilians headed inside and Military Dwarves headed outside... JUST as they are all crossing the field of traps!

Luckily, his fall was broken by something soft. Unluckily, it was another of my dwarves. Both are knocked unconcious, as is one of the visiting caravan guards. All three fall into my own traps and are caged. My Legendary Weaver is blown sideways off the entrance walkway and falls into the haha (the dry-moat). He is trapped at the bottom... naturally, there's no way out of my moat, since I expect only enemies to end up in it.

While all this is going on, my Marksdwarves on top of the fortified outer wall are picking off the attackers one by one... none of the enemy manage to penetrate my gate-house and get within firing distance the scene of mass confusion in my entrance hall.

After breaking the siege, I start cleaning up the mess... I dig a tunnel into the haha to release the trapped Weaver, I set up the three cages containing trapped dwarves and connect up a lever to release them. Assessing the damage, the Legendary Miner has suffered a spinal injury, the Legendary Weaver has a broken arm.

No fatal casualties. All enemies killed. It could have been worse...
Never pet a burning dog.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 16, 2009, 03:57:29 pm »

The "Oops" heard round the world.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 16, 2009, 04:59:38 pm »

Love it.
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: November 16, 2009, 05:28:47 pm »

Ha! Love it Blue!

In my current fort I've finally captured the dwarven liason just after the elven caravan left, he arived with a missing leg the previous fall and has been passing out all over the place trying to talk to my trader. I gave up trying to leave my trader with no job (still working on building rooms so his office is in the dinning room right now), but everytime the liason finaly gets to him, he goes off for a drink/rest/whatever and the process starts all over again *sigh*

This map also has some rather severe issues with flooding, with three (rather small) rivers feeding into a large lake, all the lower levels are flooded, leaving me on an island of sorts, with lots of lag. I tried speeding up the last bit of flooding with some pumps but it failed. Currently considering building my own river from the lake to finish the job and stabilize my fps.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

balath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: November 16, 2009, 06:42:16 pm »

I just started using cage traps for the first time, which means I just started pitting my victims.  I've decided to experiment with a couple of nervous system-injured champions to see if they can raise their axedwarf skill beyond dabbling.  (They took injuries when my entire military - all legendary wrestlers and at least close to legendary in armor and shield user - was provided with copper axes.)  I was about to pit my second siege of gobbies, but have decided to throw some recent crossbow recruits into the live action training mix as well.

I also discovered while building a mausoleum for my Pioneers that the Expedition Leader and the Pioneer that became my Engraver are lovers, so I had the engraver decorate both of their tombs (which are filled with only masterwork glass items - partly because I like the color).  For some reason Urist McArtist decided to produce mostly images of elves shooting down other elves.
What would you do if seven small, beared men marched into your home and started to dig out a city in your basement?

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 16, 2009, 11:57:32 pm »

Just finished settling in my nobles, aside from the Captain of non-existent guard, who I will get to eventually. Due to the 300k dwarfbucks wealth of the fort, the Dungeon Master has already arrived. He's been a good sport so far, relaxing like most nobles do, until I put his room together.

Had my first ambush, which was promptly put down by a squad of marksdwarves, exhausting their arrows in about 5 seconds, and bringing down all but 2 of the 7 man ambush. The wrestlers quickly followed in their wake and finished up any poor suckers who were hiding. Managed to capture 2 snatchers, and kill 2 more to top it off. Hopefully, once I top 80, I can bring some serious goblin loving down on me.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: November 17, 2009, 12:10:58 am »

Started work on my sea'o'cage-traps plan. In effect, I plan to flood every unused tile in my entire fortress with a cage-trap. Invader tries to enter? Cage trap. Dwarf goes berzerk? Cage trap. Clowns knocked out by military? Cage trap.

Also tied into this plan is my invader-zoo. I currently have three pikegoblins, a hammergoblin and a goblin wrestler in my zoo.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: November 17, 2009, 06:14:35 am »

Started work on my sea'o'cage-traps plan. In effect, I plan to flood every unused tile in my entire fortress with a cage-trap. Invader tries to enter? Cage trap. Dwarf goes berzerk? Cage trap. Clowns knocked out by military? Cage trap.

Also tied into this plan is my invader-zoo. I currently have three pikegoblins, a hammergoblin and a goblin wrestler in my zoo.

You should make a giant tomb with a terracotta army for your king, except with actual caged goblins instead of statues.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Rozenbuddy

• Bay Watcher
  • High on Caffine
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: November 17, 2009, 04:15:25 pm »

I made a new fort as I did similar to what you did, I had a giant army of cages goblins from the last siege and let them loose on the gathering hall... Muahhaa....ha..
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 3839