Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1544 1545 [1546] 1547 1548 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099638 times)

isometrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #23175 on: May 27, 2012, 05:55:00 pm »

After careful deliberation, the Mountainhomes have selected seven of their brightest bravest most eager citizens to found a new outpost. The team, calling themselves Riril Furat, The Fellowship of Virginity, has gathered supplies and ventured forth towards Ushatsiknug, Basementdwellings, their new (and final) home.

A survey of the terrain, prior to excavation.

After starting and scrapping dozens of forts over the years in order to learn the game, this will be my first permanent one. All decisions are final - no savescumming, no takesies-backsies, I must accept the consequences of whatever befalls my dwarves.

oven_baked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23176 on: May 27, 2012, 06:00:07 pm »

Testing out using minecarts to move stone up to surface.
Notes:
1: Don't order riding down long ramps, typically ends with rider turning into a splatter of blood on a wall.
2: ramps are annoying.
3: stone blocks are way better than raw stone. many more can be moved in one cart.

We just need to get Toady to embed a Lisp interpreter into DF.  Learning lambda calculus in order to play the game wouldn't make DF's learning curve much steeper.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #23177 on: May 27, 2012, 06:19:28 pm »

I just lost quite a bit of progress to a crash, caused by what I think is a murderous little bug.

I was going about my managerial duties, when I noticed a couple dwarves running back and forth in a hallway, or rather zig-zagging back and forth like bees, hauling finished goods bins. Their minds appear to have been broken, and they simply kept buzzing around in that hallway like they couldn't figure out where to go, with their job stating "store item in bin." I did the only logical thing when one encounters dwarves failing at hauling an object: forbid the object they're hauling. However, when I unpaused, the game crashed before even a tick had gone by.

Anybody else had a similar problem? I'm still using 34.09, out of shear laziness to do all the work to update.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23178 on: May 27, 2012, 06:22:52 pm »

The caverns have been breached, a feat not done by any human settlement of this world. two squads were garrisoned near the breach, so if anything wants to claim Shockedtowns from below, it'll have to get through the 4th and 5th squads of 2nd Foot Company first.

I'm going to liberally apply cage traps so that "The Kingdom of Symetries" will have an edge in any war they fight from now on, with cavern beasts among thier forces. The Antmen may prove a minor speed bump, so if they pick a fight with the company, we'll gladly abide by thier wishes to die.

There's marble somewhere on the otherside of the great undersea lake, but as this site, as well as my home civ in general, lacks iron (but is drowning in copper, silver, and gold. if I mined out all of the gold and tetrahedrite on the map, I'd probably be guiding power to the wealthiest nondorf settlment on the planet.)

I eagerly await the elves, whom I hope will bring a giant sparrow male so i can breed them for meat and bones, and for once I need cloth to make bags and don't want my few clothiers getting themselves killed exploiting the wealth of the caverns. Not until I know we've dealt with the GCS dwarves say inhabit these beautiful yet alein realms....

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23179 on: May 27, 2012, 06:25:31 pm »

Splint, how did you make a human settlement sound so epic.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23180 on: May 27, 2012, 06:37:16 pm »

Watcha mean?

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23181 on: May 27, 2012, 06:39:17 pm »

Watcha mean?

You made playing humans sound epic.

Now play as elves and make it THAT awesome, thats your next challenge.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23182 on: May 27, 2012, 06:45:43 pm »

Hmm..... I'd have to talk to Vehdur for that. He made corrupted elves who could stand shoulder to shoulder with dwarves, complete with home-forged armor if need be.

But you'll have to elaborate. I don't see how I made it epic. They live in the side of a hill, in nothing but dirt, and thier wrestlers are prone to injuring instructors and killing new recruits.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23183 on: May 27, 2012, 06:45:58 pm »

Two infected Dwarves, and only one casualty! (As per tradition :3)

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23184 on: May 27, 2012, 08:07:34 pm »

You need modded elves, or it would be very boring. They don't even dig. Or cut wood.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23185 on: May 27, 2012, 08:22:41 pm »

I managed to make a town in a single soil layer of a hill run off charcoal and whatever hunters bring in. I think I can make elves (moded but still. They need to dig. I always imagined them using underground storehouses and lving space to avoid harming thier pristine surroundings more than necessary.) work. Somehow.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23186 on: May 27, 2012, 08:45:38 pm »

The Rustic RabbitHut

25) Whistle While You Work
26) Endless Autumn

I unpause, and it is mid-Autumn.
The traders haven't arrived yet, and the dwarves are very busy working food and clothing and such.

I notice some Giant Cave Spider Silk lieing around.
On 'k' examination it says "Small Giant Cave Spider Silk". Weird.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

With the summer migrants, I'm worried about my population rising.
Not much wealth, but I did lower the Titan Limit to 70-ish, and we're at ~60 adults now.
I got no metal, so I'll resort to a row of cage traps and some stone-fall traps (still 34.07 mind you).

Of course, that's only a the northern migrant tubes.
Having multiple entrances is good for getting migrants in, but it's also bad for getting baddies in.
Man, my larger population is scaring me.

I get farm plots going in the caverns.
After the pump-flood, I have a reasonable area.
Just in time too, because we ran out of non-plumphelmet booze-plants.

Our duckling grows into a Drake. No, not a raptor Drake, just a male-duck Drake.
That won't help food, as I don't have a breeding pair.
But Mizore the Herbalist is helping by collecting underground plants.

I'll watch that later.
Gotta go to bed now.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 08:43:10 am by ZzarkLinux »

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23187 on: May 27, 2012, 08:50:52 pm »

I just lost quite a bit of progress to a crash, caused by what I think is a murderous little bug.

I was going about my managerial duties, when I noticed a couple dwarves running back and forth in a hallway, or rather zig-zagging back and forth like bees, hauling finished goods bins. Their minds appear to have been broken, and they simply kept buzzing around in that hallway like they couldn't figure out where to go, with their job stating "store item in bin." I did the only logical thing when one encounters dwarves failing at hauling an object: forbid the object they're hauling. However, when I unpaused, the game crashed before even a tick had gone by.

Anybody else had a similar problem? I'm still using 34.09, out of shear laziness to do all the work to update.
I haven't got that problem, but someone posted a while back about this bug.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23188 on: May 27, 2012, 09:03:32 pm »

A kid got possed by his dead dad and is being reported to the town watch for assault. And Bugi the axelord killed a giant mole that slipped in before the defenses in the caverns were finished. The caverns have offered up feeble resistance so far....

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #23189 on: May 27, 2012, 10:18:34 pm »

One of Reinedtowns' original 7 has taken a fey mood. Stone, rough and cut gems, silk and plant cloth, bones, and leather.

Breached the caverns for good this time, taking down a wall. 2 forgotten beasts came out after the miners and masons making the area safe, and were dealt with by 2 well-trained and equipped squads. Not enough webbing to make a bolt of silk from. We had to wait for merchants to arrive to see if they had silk cloth, which they had none. We now dug deeper into the caverns, and had every available dwarf looking for webs. Troglodytes and other critters decided to come have fun, and were dealt with by the 2 squads camping in the caverns. Managed to get silk cloth finally, as well as sacrifice a few rams for leather, since the merchants also had no leather. Now the O7 is getting the last of his materials.

This artifact better be worth it.

Orthoclase mug worth 63600. Nice.

Pages: 1 ... 1544 1545 [1546] 1547 1548 ... 3842