Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1540 1541 [1542] 1543 1544 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099299 times)

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #23115 on: May 25, 2012, 07:31:49 pm »

My baron and mayors quarters are being engraved with masterwork pictures of masterwork pigtail cloth and gory deaths of goblins and trolls by masterwork serrated copper disks.

My mayor is doing the engraving.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23116 on: May 25, 2012, 10:11:45 pm »

Started a new fort in 34.10 to try out the minecart release, Olonezar, "Gearedsoldier".
So, the mayor just got elected in. First thing he does, mandate construction of greaves (1/1). Not too bad, I thought.

The next thing Oddom mandates are catapult parts (2/2). Dammit. I don't ever defend my forts with catapults. Only with militia :/
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Felix False

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23117 on: May 25, 2012, 10:26:07 pm »

Started a brand new fort a while ago. I've got my seven dwarves and I'm doing just fine. Then comes my first migrant wave. A husband, a wife, and their five children. Not thirty seconds after they get on the map, the husband dwarf goes berserk and slaughters most of his own children. I form a squad out of my seven dwarves and send them in to kill the father. Turned out he was a very skilled fighter. Had to have been, the way he beat the living hell out of everyone.

So I finally manage to take him out. Most of my dwarves are in the makeshift hospital I threw together at the last minute to care for them. Then the mother throws a tantrum due to the loss of her children and murders everyone in their sleep.

I freaking love this game! I wish I'd found out about it ages ago.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23118 on: May 25, 2012, 10:33:31 pm »

The Rustic RabbitHut

24) One Fancy Trademark
25) Whistle While You Work

My dwarves are spending a lot of time in the first cavern, even though I've hardly developed anything.
Some dwarves are hauling water in buckets. Some dwarves are cutting treefungus and gathering plants.
Others are clearing away a lot of stone so we can water the spot for farmland.
Haven't started silking yet but I got the workshops up.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Still no surface undead.
One bunny grows into a Buck Rabbit, and some more buns are born, but that's the only change.
No Autumn migrants is a good thing, but I still haven't seen the Autumn Traders.
I need that metal from the traders !

In my main fort, not much is going on, because everyone is downstairs.
The children sit in the meeting hall. My hospital is full of lazy couch surfers (and my CMD is getting rusty again).
A little work is going into completing the garbage chute, but even my original workshop area is empty.
The only really busy place in my main fort is the small farmland.

Down by the cavern, I begin carving out a whole new fort area.
First things first, though, I need to make a medical test pit for my CMD.

Okay, here goes. I got a pump ready to water the cavern.
Yes, I know that moss-covered squares don't need water,
but I still cleared away a lot of cavern pillars so I want to muddy the whole area.

Hmm, the Mason/Pumper keeps getting pushed back into the lake from the water-flow.
I'm fine with this (the whole lake has really poor circulation, so she can't drown),
but she keeps taking a really weird path to get back up.
So I build a door to help block the "backflow" and now the pumping works well enough.

Where are my Dwarven Traders ???
My Home Civ is right next to me (ala chapter 1), so I don't know why they're running late.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 11:47:03 am by ZzarkLinux »

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23119 on: May 25, 2012, 11:22:16 pm »

So my mayor gets possessed.. and makes a leather right mitten. I have no idea who's going to wear it, or what happened to the left mitten.

PsychicKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23120 on: May 25, 2012, 11:29:55 pm »

Sealcudgels is under its third seige, this one with a massive wave of about 40-50 gobbos and a handful of trolls. I only have 9 dorfs in my military now out of a population of 160 due to insanely slow gear production. Also, my basement living quarters is flooding severely due to a mismanaged well creation accident. Can't get a wall up in one specific spot to stop the flooding due to the water. Trying to dig under the flooded area so I can channel in from below and drain it into the caverns.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 11:32:24 pm by PsychicKid »

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23121 on: May 25, 2012, 11:34:40 pm »

Kobolds rule the world, goblins only species left unharmed, cause we conquered em......

Yeah, my rebellion against my modded kobolds is going well. Got some migrants, a few soldiers. Waiting for my goblin general to arrive to assist me in the war against my kobold overlords. My dwarf-civ is rather strong, for one that is in a world ruled by kobolds.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23122 on: May 26, 2012, 12:55:26 am »

I just finished building a green glass pyramid for the resident hero. I had an Dragon hanging around in my trap area (apparently spinning green glass serrated glass discs only bruise scales, though they did knock out all it's teeth), so I got out my legendary spear, gave it the only dwarf with any skill, and sent him to confront the monster. He won!
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #23123 on: May 26, 2012, 01:22:26 am »

After extensive revisions of my mods, I genned a new world. I embarked on an evil temperate grassland, where it rains/snows frozen northern sergal blood, and where the dead rise to stalk the living (and chase the outpost liaison around the map for 8 months.)

Yeah, it's pretty evil. I'm short on wood just because I can't collect any. Still in the first year, though. I've set up farms, a basic food stockpile, workshops, bedrooms (although a good portion lack beds) and have dug out a dining room area. I need to set up some barracks to train a militia. Already a few volunteers.

Other than the evil-ness, the map is great! Hematite AND magnetite in the same stone layer, then tetrahedrite and galena, a flux layer around here somewhere, plus assorted gemstones. Never again will I thirst for material wealth. Dwarfpower, maybe, but not wealth. I need migrants to put to work.

Only deaths so far have been a couple dogs and a drake.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 01:24:41 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23124 on: May 26, 2012, 01:28:04 am »

Yet another evil embark collapses to vermin-hunting and dehydration.
How do I not sucked at Dwarf Fortress? :(

Managed to wall myself in this time, staying alive for a time, but it took so long trying to find the caverns for water that all ‼Fun‼ broke loose after the supplies ran out.
Also, dwarven farming is a ...less than optimal means of food production, especially if you have no way to let migrants into your fancy new fortress-turned-crypt...
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23125 on: May 26, 2012, 04:12:38 am »

Got a feather wood crossbow from a strange mood. Will give this to the captain of the guard for the lulz :D

Iceflame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23126 on: May 26, 2012, 04:24:46 am »

I recently embarked beneath a mountain hall - what exactly does that mean to me?

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23127 on: May 26, 2012, 04:39:57 am »

Got a feather wood crossbow from a strange mood. Will give this to the captain of the guard for the lulz :D

Good choice, thats probably the best weapon for a justice dwarf. :D
Check the item, if there were images on it of a dwarf beating a dwarf it would be pure gold.
Note though, this crossbow is probably the best ranged weapon you'll ever have - material doesnt matter for ranged combat, only quality does.

I just saw a child blinking in a blueish color. At first I thought "How the hell did he get hurt", as wounded dwarves blink sort of like that. But then I checked his skills:
(a>b) ? false : true

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #23128 on: May 26, 2012, 05:33:24 am »

The animals in the previous experiment survived, but where in a very very very bad shape.
Now that my Random Objects with Very High Speeds Colisor (ROVHSC) is ready, I'll test catapults to see if with the new version they can come back to the "Weapon" category.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23129 on: May 26, 2012, 07:10:13 am »

Good choice, thats probably the best weapon for a justice dwarf. :D
Check the item, if there were images on it of a dwarf beating a dwarf it would be pure gold.
Note though, this crossbow is probably the best ranged weapon you'll ever have - material doesnt matter for ranged combat, only quality does.
Beatings should now be fun :D
Pages: 1 ... 1540 1541 [1542] 1543 1544 ... 3842