Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1539 1540 [1541] 1542 1543 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099304 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #23100 on: May 25, 2012, 12:17:23 pm »

that must be one hugely adorned ring. Maybe you need a cart to carry it around. Good that wheelbarrows have been introduced
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #23101 on: May 25, 2012, 03:07:03 pm »

Just finished my random stuff shotgun, tested it with gold, brass and copper bars on a bunch of animals. They survived.  :'(
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #23102 on: May 25, 2012, 03:37:41 pm »

Just finished my random stuff shotgun, tested it with gold, brass and copper bars on a bunch of animals. They survived.  :'(

Convert the copper into bolts, have them fired by marksdwarves into a wall over open space as target practice (because if they strike a wall while the space infront of said wall is open, they will fall down unbroken), and load the recaptured, unstacked bolts into the cart. Instant shotgun of doom. Then you can melt them down to produce even more bolts! Somehow...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23103 on: May 25, 2012, 03:57:12 pm »

Did they at least get hurt or stunned? It doesn't have to be entirly lethal. Severly to slighty hampered enemy effectivness is just as good, caus eit means they can't run fromt he falling ceiling or your frothing beared army.

The human settlement Doomspiral, it's purpose of comparing dwarven training with human trianing fullfilled, and with fully half of it's 50 person population in active service or waiting on thier weapons to be forged, is going to attempt the most dangerous mission a human settlement has ever embarked upon.

For dwarves, such a mission is routine, even mundane. They will conquer the caverns, and see if they can find that which dwarves drool over: Adamantine.

They seek it not for weapons and armor
Not for valuable tradegoods so they need not want ever again
Not for any reason, except to say that they have seen that which until now only dwarfdom has seen.
That they, of compartivly feeble body and will, battled the the beasts of the stone caverns.
That they stood against the terrors of below, the Forgotten Beasts,

They go on a life threatening quest, to proove thier worth in the eyes of the dwarves.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23104 on: May 25, 2012, 04:49:38 pm »

The home civ just refursed a 100% profit.  So I turned around and offered a similar deal to the humans in the depot at the same time.  And they were ecstatic over the deal.  Still the humans brought less food, so I suppose I'll get to see just exactly how bad the mystery meat (now with 100% more cartilage and nerves!) syndrome messes up residents once I start making some to extend my food supply.

I think I'm going to fire the home civ traders...  With the minecart cannon.  They will thank me I'm sure at the front row seats for a demonstration of the next generation in fortress defense.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23105 on: May 25, 2012, 04:52:51 pm »

RabbitHut has actually lived long enough, and managed enough migrants, that overpopulation is starting to become a problem.

Why Don't Any of my Seeds Grow on the Surface ??
Strawberries Prickleberries and Rat Weed shouldn't need water :(

Hut is updated

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23106 on: May 25, 2012, 04:58:28 pm »

Copperhames has been founded. A camp was set up for the starting dwarves in a cleft on the side of a gently sloping mountain. Bordering a coniferous forest.

Fortuitously for the settlers there are rich iron deposits exposed even at surface level. And quickly timber has been felled and turned into charcoal to smelt it and  some of the copper brought with the expedition. Not long after that the militia commander dug up enough iron to make himself a full set of iron armor with ease. With gatherers topping up food stocks with local plants and the draft animals butchered there's plenty of provisions to keep the new fort-to-be fed for a few months. Now the access tunnel to the first cavern is being dug. Then there will be decisions where the fort proper will go!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 05:56:06 pm by Lexx »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23107 on: May 25, 2012, 05:00:40 pm »

Why Don't Any of my Seeds Grow on the Surface ??
If it is a mountain biome no surface plants will grow there.  Surface plants will only grow in the biome they grow in naturally last I checked.  And no vanilla surface plants grow on mountain biomes.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23108 on: May 25, 2012, 05:13:35 pm »

More mouths to feed, among them my first maceman and Townwatch Commander. He'll be issued a flail come august (the last summer month if I recall my conversions right) As will several other soldiers who are pending activation until they get thier weapons. Still need greataxes, mauls, more flails for the town watch....

Bartinyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23109 on: May 25, 2012, 05:22:05 pm »

Was perusing my militia seeing who was racking up the most kills, when I noticed that one of my militia commanders is missing his entire arm.  Since I don't remember any fights being this bloody, for my side at least, I look at his kill list and see that he has killed over 100 beasts/animalmen in a place called the Perplexing Red Prairies.  His most notable kills are 5 rhinos, 3 Giant lions, Giant Cheetah, and 2 Giant Tigers.  The fact that he survived that place means, I must abandon this for in the near future and head back there.  Hopefully he will migrate and gain a few more kills.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23110 on: May 25, 2012, 05:54:57 pm »

I've had one armed dwarves work out way better than some who had two hands.

I've found the majority of my soldiers aren't risk takers and dislike helping others.... This could be interesting.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23111 on: May 25, 2012, 06:25:05 pm »

The Rustic RabbitHut

23) Feelin the Migrant Squeeze
24) One Fancy Trademark

Cavern clearing is going slowly, I've kinda forgotten about it since I got the gems for Moody Dokoro.
I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with the space, because too busy making booze.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Activate the stills, and decide to designate a water-zone in the cavern.
There is a Pond-Grabber (seems persistant) on the West, so I make my water zone in the East.
Lots of dwarves flock to the new fresh water source. Damn I need booze.

The masons are finished with the above-ground structure (for now).
So I order them to start walling in the caverns. They keep getting webbed, but it goes okay.
In fact, all construction is going really fast.
No undead are in sight so I assume either the Pond Grabber is hogging everything or there's an ambush...

Still too many idlers, so I order the doctor to cut more wood, and we're making lots of ash.
Also, I forgot that I have an herbalist, so I put her to use getting dimple cups in the caverns.

Sweet
Another milestone for RabbitHut : A trade depot made entirely out of Glumprong trees.
Score one for my rabbits.

Now if only I could get my herbalist to the surface to get some Silver Barbs...
Anyway, I've got some booze flowing, and I think I have laid plans for the caverns.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 10:11:40 pm by ZzarkLinux »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23112 on: May 25, 2012, 07:02:05 pm »

I have found my civ has general familiarity with the following:
Regula leopards, bobcats, and jaguars.
GIant Thrips, Grasshoppers, Ticks, Mosquitos, and lice.

They're about to learn the basics of whatever the hell is down below.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23113 on: May 25, 2012, 07:06:37 pm »

Three dwarves tasked with removing down staircases looked straight up and dropped bricks onto their own faces. They all require surgery and traction.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23114 on: May 25, 2012, 07:10:41 pm »

Three dwarves tasked with removing down staircases looked straight up and dropped bricks onto their own faces. They all require surgery and traction.

That was lolworthy

I decided to be a cheap prick and df hack'd a goblin who nabbed a kid near a lasher getting a drink into a box with the lasher. one of them isn't leaving alive. And the other isn't either if the wrong one lives.
Pages: 1 ... 1539 1540 [1541] 1542 1543 ... 3842