Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108753 times)

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #2310 on: April 18, 2010, 09:54:31 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: April 19, 2010, 05:49:00 am »

Game is bugged, getting no noble immigrants.
Its not a bug, it is a feature. Once you hit according population limit, diplomat/liaison will come and tell you that you can appoint a baron from one of your dorfs.

TigerPlushie

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_DRAMA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2312 on: April 19, 2010, 05:55:37 am »

I've just migrated all the 50 dwarves from the small work camp to the carved out fortress I started. Somehow I thought it'd be nice to have them live outside the fortress until it was finished. Jeez, I don't know what to think of those early immigration waves. Sure, they eat up all your foodstuffs so fast, but on the other hand you get alot of work force too... I was already thinking about embarking with a few more unused picks... Also, i already had three artifacts before I migrated them as well as two unwelcome guests.

About time to set up them traps and train an army... before the gobs come back.
Dwarf cancelled making adamantium short sword: Strange mood.
Dwarf has entered a marital trance!
Dwarf has claimed a bedroom.

Zafmg

• Bay Watcher
  • Dort Fwarfess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2313 on: April 19, 2010, 06:24:17 am »

Just fought my fifth forgotten beast. Gigantic feathered horse with a spiral shell and a bloated body. It spat frozen spittle and kicked a few of my recruits to death, but eventually an armed dwarf came in and finished him with a few choice cuts.

A gem setter went berserk recently. Ended up having to get military on his business. He caught a bismuth bronze pick to the head; tearing the fat, shattering the skull and tearing the brain. Instant death for him!

Aaaand another Elk Bird has just surprise attacked a dwarf by latching onto his head and shaking him - decapitating him in the process. I think this is the fourth or fifth time this has happened.

Most of my dwarves are miserable now, a few are melancholy and insane and many are resting injuries. I currently have 25 alive, with probably close to 70 dead dwarves strewn across the caverns. Every dwarf has witnessed death, and the majority have lost friends and relatives to tragedy.

EDIT: Awwww shucks here comes something d-d-d-d-d-DANGEROUS.

The forgotten beast Sedme Shonethgithu Omsos Quazi has come! A huge blob composed of flame. It has wings and appears to be emaciated.

Phew, at least it's emaciated I guess?

EDIT2: Its wings got punched off and body is down to red, but then it just started spewing fire everywhere! Everyone that gets close just starts melting and then bleeding to death. This is horrifying!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 06:48:04 am by Zafmg »

Avelon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:INDULGE_IN_MYSTICISM:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2314 on: April 19, 2010, 07:03:34 am »

All is well right now in my fortress. I had a single tantrum that resulted in minor bruises to the upper and lower body of my expedition leader from a dwarf who refuses to sleep in her bed, but there have been no casualties so far. I'm in the first year's winter, have breached the upper levels of the caverns and am contemplating tossing a kitten down below to see what's there.

I don't have any dwarves with medical skills and after the tantrum I'm starting to feel like I should. Hopefully a doctor migrates to the fort... Otherwise I might have to utilize my fish dissectors and the like to provide, uh, hands on training.

I'm about to step the slope above my fortress entrance (remove the ramps, creating 'steps' that are impassable to invaders) and build an above-ground courtyard area. The only thing I'm actually lacking is running water, but I have a number of murky pools available. Other plans include using said pools to build a large cistern for an artificial waterfall, possibly in the dining room but probably just in a hallway.

I've discovered that mining out a large room and placing beds, all made into bedrooms sized to the entire room and designated, results in every dwarf having a 'good bedroom'. Nearly every dwarf sleeps there and gets a happy thought, though as mentioned above there is one who refuses to sleep there. The magma forge and smelter are set up in the caverns below... Unfortunately, no neighboring elves, humans, or goblins on the civ screen, though I do have kobolds, dwarves, and two types of beastmen. I'm considering this fortress to be more of a testing grounds for the new features since I haven't played since 40d. So far my only issue is I don't like using ESC to back out of menus.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Hydra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2315 on: April 19, 2010, 07:51:58 am »

Jsut finished my obsidian farm (I got craploads of gold so I'm going to build an obsidian-gold tower to drop off the goblins I captured). Farm in operation:

The first version didn't work that well because the lavaflow wasn't fast enough to prevent it from evaporating. But I added a manual pump so it gets pressurized and flows fast enough for the 40x40 room to fill.

A current issue I have is that the pump that supplies the water sucks the brook dry so it doesn't supply water fast enough. I'm planning to solve this by digging a large water-storage area above the farm that will be refilled between when the farm gets reflooded with magma. Aside from the slowness it works quite well.

Peasant

• Bay Watcher
  • MANY WHELPS NOW HANDLE IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2316 on: April 19, 2010, 09:42:19 am »

My barghest herbalist (genesis mod) gave birth to a girl while collecting plants. Apparently the baby flew out several tiles, amazing!

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2317 on: April 19, 2010, 11:06:35 am »

Started a new 31.03 fort.  The first summer, a flock of vultures descended on my wagon, stealing some plump helmets. The war dogs made short work of them, though.

When the dwarf caravan arrived, I deconstructed my weapon rack/outdoor training area to get more haulers. And this is how one bug (the "you can't stockpile/bin mugs") screwed me over with a second one (the never stop training bug). So now I have a squad of dorfs who refuse to do civilian work. Feh.
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2318 on: April 19, 2010, 03:00:09 pm »

My newest fort's miners are the ugliest creatures ever conceived.  I swear its like they want to get rid of the most horrible members of their civilization with mining accidents.

It should be noted that these aren't dwarves, they are a humanoid dragonlike creature.  Sorta like my avatar icon.

Spoiler: Miner 1(big image) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Miner 2(big image) (click to show/hide)

All of the other job guilds had a sign over the door, that sign was "No Fat Chicks". I swear my miners resemble that blueberry girl from Willy Wonka... Only green and trying to hold a pickaxe while rolling uncontrollably down the ramps they just dug. 

And their personalities, stress them out or piss them off ant they'll go nuts and probably try to embed the pickaxe in your skull.  And they can probably only swing the pickaxe a few times before they start wheezing and looking for a doughnut.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2319 on: April 19, 2010, 05:35:55 pm »

A migrant carpenter walked two steps, got a fey mood, and made a door worth 4,864DB. Thumbs up?
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2320 on: April 19, 2010, 06:44:23 pm »

My newest fort's miners are the ugliest creatures ever conceived.  I swear its like they want to get rid of the most horrible members of their civilization with mining accidents.

It should be noted that these aren't dwarves, they are a humanoid dragonlike creature.  Sorta like my avatar icon.

Spoiler: Miner 1(big image) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Miner 2(big image) (click to show/hide)

All of the other job guilds had a sign over the door, that sign was "No Fat Chicks". I swear my miners resemble that blueberry girl from Willy Wonka... Only green and trying to hold a pickaxe while rolling uncontrollably down the ramps they just dug. 

And their personalities, stress them out or piss them off ant they'll go nuts and probably try to embed the pickaxe in your skull.  And they can probably only swing the pickaxe a few times before they start wheezing and looking for a doughnut.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

A migrant carpenter walked two steps, got a fey mood, and made a door worth 4,864DB. Thumbs up?
ha.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2321 on: April 19, 2010, 08:31:45 pm »

I recently modded in a trainable, domestic animal with [CAN_LEARN]. One just showed up with actual skills! I now have a "dawg butcher". I dunno if he'll actually butcher anything though. I don't usually use butchers, I just mass produce plump helmets.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2322 on: April 19, 2010, 08:43:29 pm »

Goblins ambushed my fort before I could finish connecting a lever to a bridge going over a moat, and before I built a defense force... a massacre ensued! Many dwarves were struck down by the green menace, while others were cut off from food and water and died of starvation and dehydration. A small section of my fort is still in the hands of some survivors (just realized no miners are among them, that could be problematic), it is from these ashes the dwarves of the Shiningboulder shall arise and overcome! Assuming of course they don't all die in a tantrum spiral... >.>

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2323 on: April 19, 2010, 09:35:08 pm »

*spoilers*

Zamfg, put your spoilers in fucking spoiler tags. There's alot of people that would like to be surprised by what your currently posting about.

prism indigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2324 on: April 19, 2010, 11:08:36 pm »

Just Genned a new world and started a fort near a jungle-y area surronding a mountain. I just engraved the living hell out of this place. The entire peasant's quarters are engraved. It's so engraved right now I don't even know what to think

It's really hard to distinguish walls and floors now  :-\
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 3842