Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1538 1539 [1540] 1541 1542 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099157 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #23085 on: May 24, 2012, 03:48:31 pm »

I'm up to ten casualties in the military. For having beaten the first wave of HFS, that's not too bad.
Accidentally breached the HFS in Doomspirals, my military of 90 was dispatched... And well, dispatched. Setting the amount of HFS to 10000 is fun.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23086 on: May 24, 2012, 04:12:23 pm »

Aren't they infinite as-is? Like, they just keep on coming in from the sides of the map, like wildlife does aboveground?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23087 on: May 24, 2012, 04:20:43 pm »

Yeah, but that's manageable. It's the first waves that'll cripple you, or you're safe.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23088 on: May 24, 2012, 04:35:58 pm »

Sibrek: "Hey Urist?"
Urist: "Yeah?"
Sibrek: "I heard you came from a fort that settled in the Underworld itself."
Urist: "Yep, the trick is to survive the first wave, after that the infinite hordes of evil are manageable."
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23089 on: May 24, 2012, 05:24:20 pm »

It is now Winter:

Built the first small Obelisk to commemorate the end of phase one. We're now 19 strong and ready to dig the actual city. Out of this 19, 6 of them are farmers, 5 are miners, 3 are masons working on furniture and blocks and the rest are doing the busywork. I have stockpiled a lot of food because I want to be able to focus on other things. We cut the trees in the rocky wasteland as they grow, because there is none in the desert itself and wood is too valuable.

Oh and while digging the bedrooms in the temporary fort, I struck platinum. Got 2 nuggets out of 4 squares so it's not bad. But truly the Serpent Gods are blessing our endeavours since it's the first metal found. We shall put those eventual statues in a temple.

We now have a female leopard, courtesy of the parent civ to bring one. It's now guarding the entrance ramp and the trade depot. There are quite a lot of kangaroos jumping around but I don't have the wood or the metal to make cages.

One of the migrants had 35 human kills at world gen ( parent civ has been fighting humans for so long the total death toll is about 150k ) and he has the title Claw of Sands. He will become a squad leader when we get around to making armor and weapons, which is pretty much as soon as we hit iron and coal. I know they are here.. somewhere.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23090 on: May 24, 2012, 06:16:32 pm »

Human recruits I can now confirm are far more agressive training wise, with maybe one demonstratiuon at most before diving into sparring, if they hadn't flat started pounding on eachother from the get-go.

The settlement is doing well, though some asshole ate all the seeds so we have no crops. But as it stands food and drink are a non-issue.

Oh, and one of the new guys hurt himself sparring. An unarmored throw resulted ina few busted ribs, nothing too worrysome.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23091 on: May 24, 2012, 06:18:16 pm »

"Human"

How did you get humans in your army? You playing Human City?
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23092 on: May 24, 2012, 06:29:48 pm »

Well in the underhive mod, where you play as human hive-dwellers, my recruits would routinly begin training by sparring rather than wait to be trained in the basics of combat like dwarves do.

I wanted to see if vanilla humans were the same, so I modded them to be fully playable. Humans are much more agressive when it comes to training, opting to skip demonstrations or do only one or two before going back to sparring, if that many.

One fool got hurt wrestling because he didn't have any armor (Haven't mined out enough copper to give everyone a basic suit of chainmail yet.) And he's awitng ont eh Head doctor to diagnos him and get his ribs reset. Humans also become attached to thier weapons far quicker than dwarves do.

Essentially it paints human soldiers as being either more enthusiastic, reckless, or some combination thereof compared to dwarves, who I always see training newbs in the basics until they have novice in striking, dodging, and general fighting before they start sparring. I gotta admit however, with my starting halberdiers it's proved to be quite effective (year 2 professionals already in a 3 man squad. i rarely get that with dwarves.)

ObeseHelmet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23093 on: May 24, 2012, 07:28:24 pm »

Decided to dig out an underground lake next to the meeting hall. Y'know, a water feature.

Except for that I had no floodgates. So the water just kept coming.

Posted this in facepalm moments. And then decided to drown the entire fortress...

Currently devising as many water death traps as I can.

any ideas?

Edit: A water source just vanished. What the hell.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 07:34:13 pm by ObeseHelmet »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23094 on: May 24, 2012, 07:58:22 pm »

A population rocket to 50~ people, and the army swells by half the population. One squad is awaiting it's soon-to-be shortsword girl, who's a season or so from adulthood, and quite find for a military candidate.

A squad of maulers, greataxers, and scimitars with the shortsworder, since she likes shortswords, have bneen set up and awaiting weaponry before I activate them.

Felix False

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23095 on: May 24, 2012, 08:02:59 pm »

A goblin ambush was recently stopped cold by my hallway of falling rubble, leaving a goblin swordsman the only survivor. Sent out my two squads of soldiers to finish it off so it would stop trying to mutilate my livestock. That goblin bastard killed every last one of them by himself. The resulting tantrum spiral was a great deal of fun.

Starting over at the base of a volcano now.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23096 on: May 24, 2012, 08:13:52 pm »

After weeks of having busted ribs, that injured captain is finally getting the treatment he needs (since he succumbed to pain on a bed, he defaulted to a sort of limbo of being in active battle and resting. Had to rip the bed to patch him up.) A kid was born, and all the ew blood has soaked up what little rooms were ready.

I expect goblins very soon. Likely bowgoblins of some kind, and all my hard-trained troops dying in a hail of bolts/arrows.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #23097 on: May 24, 2012, 08:15:08 pm »

we were able to safely mine and process enough candy to make 2 short swords, masterwork.
one for the duke and one for his bodyguard.
SIEGE!!!
i station the 3 squads of 2 melee dwarves on the other side of the traps and wait for them to come.
i then realize i've left an alternate route into the fort that bypasses the traps.
CHANGE PLAN!!! those fuckers will kill ALOT of civilians if they get in here. CHARGE!!!
The alternate path leads right along the lip of the volcano, and that is exactly where my soldiers meet the enemy.
when the smoke clears, all invaders are dead and none of my soldiers are wounded despite being clad only in leather with wooden shields. But one is missing. The bodyguard. Who dodged off the edge into the magma with 1/2 my candy grasped firmly in his right hand.

dammit
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

MaxZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Doot doodoo de doo
    • View Profile
« Reply #23098 on: May 25, 2012, 08:22:54 am »

I finally upgraded to DF2012, i wanted to play out my .31 fort to the end but i eventually got sick of the bugs involving cages and cloths that were buggering up my pristine design

I wanted a working Dwarf Therapist so I'm running the windows version on my mac Wine with X11, not ideal, its running a lot hotter than the OSX native .31 did

So the new fort is up and running in a completely flat area, didn't plan that but never mind

I grinned maniacally when I saw a working wagon trundling about, and again when i saw the new bin behaviour. Quite interested to see that most immigrants also come with skill with a weapon. I looked up all the kills of the first wave, one of them has slain a dragon, yet only remains a competent swords-dwarf.

Struck magma on lvl60(ish), quite pleased about that. Theres olivine everywhere, very pleased with that, and I've set out a layout that should accommodate mine carts well once i get round to experimenting with them

One gripe, its a bug I'm guessing, a dwarf hauling a finished goods bin to the crafters workshop has gotten stuck running around in an almost 5x5 circle in one of my corridors, his pathfinding appears to be confused. Is this common?

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23099 on: May 25, 2012, 12:07:14 pm »

Thanks, iton Solozadil, Stonecrafter Asshole, for using a stack of 184 roc bones to craft a 32k-dwarfbuck chert ring! That's great! That shit is going down in dwarven history! I'm making a hundred engravings of that shit.
Pages: 1 ... 1538 1539 [1540] 1541 1542 ... 3842