Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1522 1523 [1524] 1525 1526 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099322 times)

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #22845 on: May 14, 2012, 11:32:47 pm »

First embark in 08. Scrolling down the side of the volcano to see what the layers look like... Oh, what's that on the mountainside, (k)? Hematite, you say? Right next to the sand, just a few tiles from magma? Rock crystal, you say? Native copper? Galena? Good golly, I'm liking this embark so far...
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #22846 on: May 15, 2012, 02:07:36 am »

my entire starting 7 are female. this should be interesting.

EDIT:
And the RNG named the fort Drilledsack and the group The Axe of Responsibility. I pity any male dwarf who dares immigrate to Monangfath.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 02:19:38 am by Eoganachta »
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22847 on: May 15, 2012, 05:47:33 am »

In the process of digging down to find stone on the coast of a good lake with a river infested with carp and river otters As well as a bit of detached land, which I have decided will be my goal to build a bridge to it.

I have, in one shot upon digging through dirt, hit lignite and dolomite. I am slo going to try and damn the river so i may turn the tables on the carp.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22848 on: May 15, 2012, 06:31:09 am »

At last, some dwarven justice - forgotten beast syndrome killed off 3 vampires almost in one go. Damn that stuff is potent.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #22849 on: May 15, 2012, 06:42:59 am »

my entire starting 7 are female. this should be interesting.

EDIT:
And the RNG named the fort Drilledsack and the group The Axe of Responsibility. I pity any male dwarf who dares immigrate to Monangfath.

Can you put castration in your fort name?

Also, give your doctor the custom profession of Master Castrator.

Iceflame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22850 on: May 15, 2012, 08:05:48 am »

The last migration wave were eight dwarfes; 2 of them vampires, 3 children.
At least, 3 new daycare!!SCIENCE!! - subjects, and 2 waterfall migration center residents.
I wonder if the vampiric blood in the river will make vampire fish?
Will a sock soaked in vampire blood be a vampire sock?

I still havent found anything valuable.
All work and no shiny things make Urist McTorrance a dull boy.

With the last caravan, the hoomans have sent a amphibian vampire diplomat. If my army hadnt' have to fight against their thirst, this creature would be scattered across all my fortress. As the humans will be on their next visit. This things can't be let alive.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #22851 on: May 15, 2012, 09:48:38 am »

You know, having a 2-person military, with only copper swords and wooden shields, sucks.  These guys were also just novices, by the way. 

My "militia" was decimated by a single goblin thief.  I immediately drafted ten random guys, and after having several of them suffer injury, the goblin was brought down by punches and kicks. 

Now, a considerable amount of my 120 large fort is quite unhappy, and I've already had one miner go melancholy.  I don't want to lose anyone else.  But I will not give up.  These dwarves will either die, or deal with it, Klingon style.  No hospital for their injuries, no soothing for their hearts. 

Let's see what happens to "Doorlongs".  Will it perish ( and become my first fort to truly die due to FUN ) or survive? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #22852 on: May 15, 2012, 11:39:41 am »

Just narrowly averted a tantrum spiral by getting all but one of my dwarves to seal themselves away and waiting for migrants.
Who doesn't love overkill.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #22853 on: May 15, 2012, 02:30:30 pm »

Admiring a statue depicting a human having their leg crushed by a minotaur named Islas Scabgleamed the Awe-Inspiring Slut. How wonderful :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Sallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22854 on: May 15, 2012, 03:38:35 pm »

After my carpenter turned into a weretortoise I'm still trying to decide how to weaponize him (now trapped in constructed walls).

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22855 on: May 15, 2012, 04:24:42 pm »

I found a windigo!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #22856 on: May 15, 2012, 04:44:59 pm »

My fortress population has dropped from 160+ to 90, and is still dropping.

It all started after a goblin siege wandered off. I opened the gates again to let the dwarven caravan in (which still arrived while they were shut, god damnit.)

Suddenly dragonman ambushes! My militia wasn't decimated, they were massacred. The civilians took a hit too because I forgot to hit the !!PANIC!! alert. The dragonmen breath fire and roast their enemies, and sure enough the entire map was set ablaze, nearly the entire militia burning to death despite easily wiping out the weak, unprotected dragonmen. This almost instantly set off an armageddon-level tantrum spiral in the civilian population, as every last soldier had multiple family and friends. Of course, I decided that the fortress was fucked and ordered the militia to murder teh dwarven caravan just to see how far I could push it. Turns out, it couldn't go much farther anyhow. The militia that engaged the caravan gaurds were slaughtered, and those that attacked merchants were deemed traitors and attacked by there comrades. It didn't last long, though, as the remaining soldiers murdered one-another, and eventually there was only one traitor, to both the civ and the local governments, who slaughtered a dozen or more people and nearly any of the remaining soldiers that came after him. He was only adequate with his battleaxe with meager skills besides, but that was more than enough to defeat the other troops who were all marksmen or recruits. Eventually he ran off into the forest and one of the rangers got a few shots off at him, which happened to hit him in the spine, right below the base of the skull. He quickly suffocated, and taht was the end of his rampage. I've been pinning murders that occurred while he was alive on him. Strangely, the Captain of the Guard at the time waited until he was long-dead to bleed to death on the lawn, despite that traitor being the last thing he'd been in combat with over two weeks prior. He was a crippled veteran of the last goblin siege, anyway.

All the remaining military personnel are now members of the fortress guard along with a hefty helping of civies. They're still unarmed, unarmored, and hopeless, but at least they can't easily kill any criminals. I watched one officer beat the crap out of a soldier who had punched the ranger captain to death in her sleep. The officer enjoyed her torture of the bastard and then went back to hauling, without killing him. Then a child went berserk in front of a tame dragon in the dining hall. Guess what happened?
That's right! Everybody on the second story of the dining hall got a nice helping of dragonfire and burned to death! Glorious!

There is currently some lowly brewer chasing down another dwarf with intent to start a fistfight.
Wait... No, he went after a turkey hen and just grabbed her a few times, I'd imagine staring angrily at her... I'll call that proper anger management.

Then a cook began to stalk and brood! Lovely!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 04:47:47 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22857 on: May 15, 2012, 04:50:19 pm »

I liked it better when mining was skill connected....

Having a bitch of a time getting non flux stones to make shit from. Miners are almost legendary and they wreck almost every stone they touch. Not right.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22858 on: May 15, 2012, 05:28:14 pm »

I liked it better when mining was skill connected....

Having a bitch of a time getting non flux stones to make shit from. Miners are almost legendary and they wreck almost every stone they touch. Not right.
I can't figure out whether it was more annoying to have 30000 useless stones or to get only 25% of the scarce ore on my map.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22859 on: May 15, 2012, 05:29:27 pm »

gems? 100% drop. Things i use for trade goods? Screw you Splint, you'll get a fraction and like it!
If I could change this myself, I would.
Pages: 1 ... 1522 1523 [1524] 1525 1526 ... 3842