Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108834 times)

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #2280 on: April 17, 2010, 04:42:55 am »

lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of 'xxx has canceled clean self: area inaccessible' spam. would that i know what to do about it.... was going to build a little cleaning pool in the bedroom area. dwarves tracked blood and vomit all over it. have put that on hold until cleaning is accomplished.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Peasant

• Bay Watcher
  • MANY WHELPS NOW HANDLE IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: April 17, 2010, 04:45:05 am »

A forest spider snuck into my base, instantly striking down my war dog and hunting dog while my trolls loiter in the meeting hall talking about extravagant mittens. Until a peasant punched it so hard his two legs got broken and my militia commander (lye maker) absolutely destroyed the horrible beast. And i thought trolls would protect my fortress.

Also, two of my goblins got married and made a child on top of the dining room table. Hooray! I found the camp of the caped crusaders. Seems like they have some blowgunners and a spearman, i just need to make some weapons and i'll be eating some of that sweet cave fish they have. Oh lord, i just attacked the batman camp with my two novice wrestlers, one adequate wrestler and the 2 other unskilled people. Their only training was mountain goats. I'm guessing you already know what's going to happen..

Batmen pieces flying everywhere! I saw my militia commander rip a batman in FREAKIN' HALF YO. I saw the upper body flying in an arc and slamming a damned wall. Someone even rippedslashed a bat woman blowgunner's head off, armok christ. The goods are mine! Cave fish, cave lobsters and several giant bat leathers! I see that they finally picked up the weapons they were meant to get. Nice, i also got a whole bunch of spears and shields from the batman camp.

I finally did it, my military died. I originally sent them to die because they were lazy as hell. They died when the mummies came, first i wondered why they bled to death when they easily dispatched them. Apparently they got caught in a burst of flies and their EVERYTHING got rotten.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 06:22:44 am by Peasant »

Zafmg

• Bay Watcher
  • Dort Fwarfess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: April 17, 2010, 05:09:46 am »

So my very dangerous fortress just got a migrant wave. I went from 8 dwarves (down from 14) to a whopping 26. About six tiles from entering the map, a Hunter was struck by a Fey mood. They must have had a hell of a journey. He then dropped the horse leather low boot he was carrying (!?).

I wonder how many will be alive this time next year...

Phen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: April 17, 2010, 06:37:11 am »

Lots of military failing is going on in my fort. It can't be right that a military of 20 dwarves is defeated by a single fucking axegoblin without him sustaining injury at all. I can only conclude that the new training fails and/or my dwarves are too stupid to pick up the correct weapons.
For example, the marksdwarves prefer to hit the goblin with their crossbows, while the swords and mace-dwarves just can't hit anything. Sad, sad, sad.

Xenoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: April 17, 2010, 06:39:49 am »

You know how annoying mayors and their mandates are?  I now have 2 mayors...  Each mandating different stuff.  Hurrah.

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: April 17, 2010, 07:09:57 am »

...just wait, eventually we'll be able to have civil wars! (In 5 years..or so..maybe).

matthiaspaco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: April 17, 2010, 07:25:31 am »

Just got murked by cave crocodiles, a squirrel beast, and a bunch of demons. Adventure time!!!

TheDarkJay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: April 17, 2010, 07:51:30 am »

So I have a water moat fed by the river, which I have a sink in that feeds the well in my fort dining hall. Pretty easy to set up.

Didn't occur to me how dangerous it was though as I also play with the requirements for Titan attacks turned way down and I got attacked by a Forest Titan, a giant iguana with wings and three eyes. I figure the tamed bears and tamed giant eagles and cage and weapon traps in the entrance will deal with it.

Then I see it step onto the river...and vanish. Go down a Z-level, it is swimming in the river. It proceeds to wander down the river, down the sink hole, through a few 'pipes' and it leaps out of the well and kills seven of my twenty-eight dwarves (all of whom are recent immigrants) in a matter of about 10 seconds. I draft the rest and get them to wrestle the beast, and after an entire season of wrestling they are able to kill it, but three more of them die in the process. Most of the survivors start resting to tend to their wounds.

Then the Kobolds ambush.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 07:53:27 am by TheDarkJay »

Zafmg

• Bay Watcher
  • Dort Fwarfess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: April 17, 2010, 07:56:46 am »

So I have a water moat fed by the river, which I have a sink in that feeds the well in my fort dining hall. Pretty easy to set up.

Didn't occur to me how dangerous it was though as I also play with the requirements for Titan attacks turned way down and I got attacked by a Forest Titan, a giant iguana with wings and three eyes. I figure the tamed bears and tamed giant eagles and cage and weapon traps in the entrance will deal with it.

Then I see it step onto the river...and vanish. Go down a Z-level, it is swimming in the river. It proceeds to wander down the river, down the sink hole, through a few 'pipes' and it leaps out of the well and kills seven of my twenty-eight dwarves (all of whom are recent immigrants) in a matter of about 10 seconds. I draft the rest and get them to wrestle the beast, and after an entire season of wrestling they are able to kill it, but three more of them die in the process. Most of the survivors start resting to tend to their wounds.

Then the Kobolds ambush.

Good lord. That's... that's horrifying.

Peasant

• Bay Watcher
  • MANY WHELPS NOW HANDLE IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: April 17, 2010, 07:59:53 am »

So a reptile swordsman appears out of nowhere, kills one of my wrestlers and manages to break almost every single one of his fingers. He loses grasp of his sword but that doesn't stop him, he kills several of my goblins, becomes an elite wrestler then stops. He's staring at a pond now, just waving at everyone who passes near him. He's got a special title and a name, he's friendly.

Rastaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: April 17, 2010, 09:22:37 am »

Everybody was bitching because I didn't have a well. So I built one out of solid gold, with cobaltite mechanisms.

<3 Cobaltite.

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: April 17, 2010, 12:16:39 pm »

:o

Dwarven Merchants arrived. With so much stuff and guards, that when goblins decided to siege my fortress, and the goblin siege forces pretty much spawned on the merchants, the merchant guards beat the whole siege by themselves.

Nice.

*edit* Oh, and:
"Catten Rithmuar, war Elephant (Tame) has given birth to elephant calves." \o/
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 12:23:41 pm by Mandaril »
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: April 17, 2010, 12:28:44 pm »

Hi!

My broker has died of thirst after a year with a broken hand. Suturing and cleaning went well, but placing in traction was tried several times and failed each time. Sometimes she received food and water, and sometimes, she simply got up and fetched it herself, but during winter, she finally failed to make it in time.

To add insult to injury, during that time, my trading with the dwarven caravan (from whom I wanted to buy plaster for the last step in the process) failed as they insisted on taking all valuables charging far too high a price.

Well, at least I have now moved the trade depot underground and started building the wall around the fortress. Not getting the steel from the dwarven merchants places me a bit behind schedule in my efforts to forge enough blades for my weapon traps (only bronze and steel), but I will see what I can do.

Having quite a number of giant tigers, leopards and so on, I think I will try to conquer the first of the two cave civs listed in my civ screens. I have not breached any of the caverns yet, fearing for my safety, but once I have at least one line of weapon traps ready, those cave critters and my tame animals will hopefully have a talk :) :) :) :) :)

Deathworks

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: April 17, 2010, 12:42:50 pm »

Forgotten beast extracts and blood are new mud now. They trace it everywhere. And clean themself with well in dining room. +obsidian table+ decorated with spatter of troll blood, decorated with spatter of goblin blood, (30 more types of blood and goo in the [k] list).

By the way, does anyone know whether FB's venoms are permanent or not? 5 dwarfs have their legs paralyzed due to venom. And if it acts upon contact, victim numbers will be much higher soon.

Zafmg

• Bay Watcher
  • Dort Fwarfess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: April 17, 2010, 01:12:56 pm »

Went from 8 (3 of which are children) to 29 dwarves with most recent migrant wave. Apparently the migrants don't mind the fact that I've lost 47 dwarves so far. Cavern-based, open-plan, no-defence-except-fighting fortresses are fun times!

It's not even the big scary things that drop the numbers by that much, it's the culmination of that constant low threat. Sure, that Elf ambush in the second year took out about 6 dwarves, but I can guarantee Elk Birds have done more damage. They're just always getting too close, and then next thing you know an Elk Bird has latched onto and shaken one of my dwarves (causing massive blood loss).

At one point I had a Gem Setter resting some injuries, and I guess it looked at an Elk Bird the wrong way because next thing that happens is the Elk Bird outright tears off his head. C'mon!

Two forgotten beasts so far, neither have been dangerous.

Also a dwarf ended up suffocating after a fight with a Cave Spider. Huh.
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 3842