Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1510 1511 [1512] 1513 1514 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100332 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #22665 on: May 10, 2012, 05:32:25 am »

The elves came. We are struggling to keep up with demand, so I seized their entire caravan. A huge amount of cloth, and clothing, as well as a Giant Kakapo, a Giant Thrips, and a giant cockroach.

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #22666 on: May 10, 2012, 05:38:43 am »

The elves came. We are struggling to keep up with demand, so I seized their entire caravan. A huge amount of cloth, and clothing, as well as a Giant Kakapo, a Giant Thrips, and a giant cockroach.

You'll need to build a giant fridge for that 'roach to hide under.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22667 on: May 10, 2012, 05:39:51 am »

A towering eight legged fox composed of steam that fidgets is dwelling in a pool of water. Well, I guess we're weeding out the weak Forgotten beasts first. Amazingly the first forgotten beast with the poison that rotted and swelled everyone, didn't kill anything. A bit of surgery and they were all fine.

My mayor crushed in a mining accident years ago. She's still lying around in a room, completely forgotten. She's been there for six years! Brilliant, nothing irritating from her.

And cave spiders: I got a bunch of engravers to engrave stuff. Apparently the Thothgol REALLY like this one Dwarf, Unib Nobleshoots, who in 66 killed a cave spider. That sod is all over the place. I think he turns up twice in the Great Gore's four by four room. Literally they are just the most massive fans of this random Dwarf that killed a cave spider. It's kinda hilarious. I'm surprised they don't have a national holiday for him.

Eagle people keep visiting and getting shot.
Two migrants arrive. One was drafted.
Fort life is pretty smooth for now.

I have a bunch of armour made from human bones.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 05:54:28 am by MasterMorality »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22668 on: May 10, 2012, 05:43:06 am »

First sword captain happens to be a mother, and I ordered her to execute the tickman we caught.

Looks like her daughter is going to be learning how to fight from watching mommy kill things.

Edit: And it seems she's got common sense. The tick man tried to kick her in the head but she lept from her mother's arms and is now spraying ichor from his stump of a left arm everywhere. And mommy doesn't seem amused about the tick man attcking her child.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22669 on: May 10, 2012, 05:53:33 am »

Metal industry is finally cranking up at full tilt, producing first gold for the Gold Road, then steel for the army.

Children keep tantruming, not from lack of clothing, but the infernal ash sickness sweeping everyone.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22670 on: May 10, 2012, 05:55:28 am »

Seems the 1st Sword Sergeant likes shoping of bugman hands and has hence been labled "The Dehander" as her profession. After four bugmen, She now faces a true challenge. And probably the loss of her child: A rattlesnake man.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #22671 on: May 10, 2012, 05:57:57 am »

Scorching biome resulted in half the fort dying. Its not so bad though. Many children died after all.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Enki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22672 on: May 10, 2012, 05:59:37 am »

First non "scripted" migrant wave. Jumped from 18 dwarves up to 50 dwarves. The good thing: Between those 32 migrants were like 2 or 3 rangers that instantly killed any zombie thread. But I don't know what I should do with so many dwarves. Okay, 9 of them get drafted for the milita. My first squad has a pretty nifty name: The Armored Neutralization!!!

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22673 on: May 10, 2012, 06:28:39 am »

One kid keeps tantrumming over and over.

While we have a bunch of rangers, we have too few carpenters (our lone surviving one is crippled from a child who bit his leg nerves apart) so they're being moved over to carpenting duty.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22674 on: May 10, 2012, 06:36:11 am »

The dead walk!Hide while you still can!

Pah! The army of Splatteredplanks laughs at them! As do the caravan guards appearently.

All but a few have been called up to the main gate. the ones who haven't don't have any weapons. Caravaneers are thinning them out. But alas....

Splint, Overseer cancels play DF: Interrupted by School.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #22675 on: May 10, 2012, 07:54:52 am »

Found the magma sea.  For the first time.  Ever.  And also adamantine.  Unfortunately, I don't think I can get the adamantine without unleashing the magma ( more than I already have. )

Any tips?  Or should I just dig through that blank patch of hidden area in the middle of the magma sea?

GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #22676 on: May 10, 2012, 09:49:37 am »

I think I'm starting to hate magma.  Tried going through the middle part, didn't work.  There was still semi-molten rock.  I have no idea how to control the magma, or get to the adamantine.  I actually abandoned the fort, but I foresee this becoming a problem with ALL my forts if I don't find a way to work with magma, and control it. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22677 on: May 10, 2012, 11:04:44 am »

I think I'm starting to hate magma.  Tried going through the middle part, didn't work.  There was still semi-molten rock.  I have no idea how to control the magma, or get to the adamantine.  I actually abandoned the fort, but I foresee this becoming a problem with ALL my forts if I don't find a way to work with magma, and control it. 

With a sufficent water source you can cast obsidian around the adamantine allowing for safe extraction. That is unless there's only one spire. Then you'd have to argue with the clowns first over candy purchase privliges.

All you'd need is a limitless water source and a way to direct it.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22678 on: May 10, 2012, 11:08:30 am »

With a sufficent water source you can cast obsidian around the adamantine allowing for safe extraction. That is unless there's only one spire. Then you'd have to argue with the clowns first over candy purchase privliges.

All you'd need is a limitless water source and a way to direct it.

And one hell of a lot of time.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22679 on: May 10, 2012, 01:19:26 pm »

Finding magma (without being murdered by cavern-dwelling monstrosities) is the hard part - unless you intend to bring the magma all the way up to the surface as well, that is. Digging down until you hit warm stone or semi-molten rock is the first step - once you hit warm stone (I think if you have temperature switched off there may be an effect on this?) the designation will auto-cancel to prevent unintentional flooding with fiery death. Magma always adjoins a tile marked as 'warm', although it won't specify where - the uppermost level of 'warm' stone is directly above the magma, so dig up and check for warm stone, then once you find non-warm stone, dig two spaces into the highest level warm stone and channel down - this should reveal the magma sea safely.

You can then floor over the gap (to prevent the residents getting into your fort and causing trouble), dig out the top-level warm stone and use this area as your forge / glassmaking / pottery / goblin incineration chamber.

If you hit semi-molten rock, just dig exploratory tunnels across until you find warm stone, then go up.

Mining adamantine safely is pretty much a contradiction; the only ways to prevent magma reclaiming the area are to drain the magma sea (...sort of impractical), obsidianize the area around the adamantine, or dig only in the centre. Each of these has its own fort-murderizing dangers attached.
Pages: 1 ... 1510 1511 [1512] 1513 1514 ... 3842