Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1509 1510 [1511] 1512 1513 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100494 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #22650 on: May 10, 2012, 03:23:50 am »

Decided to make a little pet cemetary, and below that a communal crypt. Taming of wild animals is progressing nicely. Hunters bagged a giant grasshopper. Saving and modding unicorns to not need grass and be domesticable.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #22651 on: May 10, 2012, 03:26:59 am »

I'm contemplating making the bugs live longer. Giant thrips could be fun to set on the goblins, but with their current age trouble (1 year and gone) it's better to just butcher them ASAP...

On a positive note, elves came again, after missing last year from a siege. No nice beasties though. Another good news item is that I still have enough bedrooms despite a lot of children growing up.

current activity: massive clothing dumping to get it to rot
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 03:33:18 am by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22652 on: May 10, 2012, 03:32:58 am »

Fort had it's first birth, (dang, nija'd by a sencond mid post!) and come next year a kid who migrated will grow up and join the battleaxe corps. Other than being clumsy he's a perfect physical candidate.

Also some moth people stumbled into my trap system, and that giant grasshaopper was caught, not killed as I had suspected. I am actually happy about so many married folk coming in, as I still have rooms a plenty. Hit lignite while digging the pet cemetary.

Due to this being a domestication program I'm doing, I have high hopes for the annual baby boom approaching.

Himmelblau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22653 on: May 10, 2012, 03:33:56 am »

I just noticed a child in my 'u' list with the job listed as "Caged" I zoomed, and it pointed toward one of the goblin cages in my stockpiles!

Here's the strange part -- his thoughts screen showed that he was happy to receive water lately! I have no clue how long he was there, but he was born 11 years ago. I've seen odd "Give water" jobs now and then that I couldn't track down for years, even when no one was in the hospital or resting. Maybe he's where it's coming from!
Dwarves are awesome.

Urist: Hey, that kid's been locked in that cage with the goblin snatcher for quite a while. Don't you think we should let him out insted of just giving him food and water?
Morul: Nah, there must be a reason for him being there, right?
Urist: Oh, you're right. The ways of Armok are inscrutable.
Dwarf Fortress- where a sudden mist that causes you to bleed from every orifice and drop dead is one of the better outcomes.

Tauti

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22654 on: May 10, 2012, 03:35:22 am »

Second siege!

Goblins flying with giant horned owls or such. Jabberers and cave dragons swarming everywhere.

Oh rapture!

My alley of doom took care of the first and second wave of cave dragons and goblins. Airborne goblins seemed to be interested in killing my farm animals so my archers had easy time taking them down.

Courtyard is now decorated with severed limbs and caked with dried blood. Scenery is serene and beautiful.

Tried to do some science after the siege. I built airlock next to dungeons where my vampire mayor was held. Filled the airlock with trapped beasties and goblins, linked lever to cages and closed the airlock.

Pull the lever!

One of those forementioned beasties was a cave dragon which swiftly broke the doors and ran straight to main corridor followed by jabberer and goblins. Hilarity ensued while my war dogs and militia rand down 20 z-levels. Couple of peasants and miner met their untimely end before my militia turned my stairwell into river of blood.

Vampire mayor is still admiring his fine restraint.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22655 on: May 10, 2012, 03:47:40 am »

@ Tauti - So all in all a a normal Thursday?

Third birth, got some clothing facilities made, several meteric fucktons of fuel are made, and my soldiers seem to hae a high sense of duty, as all of them spend damn near al thier free time running drills.

Hunters have been running regular patrols and are attempting to down a number a thrips, as they seema touch annoyed that thier grasshopper stumbled into a trap. Going to build a training room to unleash a few captured moth men and a rattlesnake man in, and expand my bar stockpile. It is now far too small to accomodate my supplies.

And, against dwarven normalacy, I am encouraging socialization among the dwarves. It's good for them regardless, and since I'm planning to build a communal crypt anyway no body will need to worry about thier noncombat loved ones not being interred.

No thieves of snatchers yet. Either they don't like good biomes and avoid them like the plauge or they haven't deemd my miserable little dirt pit worth attacking yet. I'm also considering torying to leave a few valuables out to encourage kobold ambushes. They uslaally have a few trinkets worth selling or cheap spears to sell or melt down.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22656 on: May 10, 2012, 03:48:19 am »

getting the clothing away is a headache. cleanowned, cleanowned scattered in dfhack only half solve the problem. People come to claim their unowned, forbidden XclothingX. Just designated all berooms as refuse, let even the good clothing rot. This is after all why noone has cabinets or chests

progress is slow. Let's see what there is to butcher

elk birds... I think I slaughtered about 40 of them already but the keep comming. Drives me crazy
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 03:52:13 am by Garath »
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

medikohl

• Bay Watcher
  • Goblins are a good building material
    • View Profile
« Reply #22657 on: May 10, 2012, 04:06:05 am »

my fortress has a giant emu breeding program.
lots of eggs=renewable resource.

I've also been modding the hell out of the game, adding in new playable dwarf civilizations.

right now I'm playing sun dwarves, they have a semi-random creature list, and usually shearable woolly mammoths.

had one hell of a good embark though.  a volcano, path through the aquifer, magnetite, limestone, and just got a great armorcrafter migrant.
I can imagine a bunch of  monks making a pilgrimage to a holy mountain, only to discover that it isn't there anymore.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22658 on: May 10, 2012, 04:08:34 am »

Vampire mayor is still admiring his fine restraint.

"Hmm. It sucks to be stuck in a small area like this, but hey! I'm alright, as long as me and Mr. Chain are together!"

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22659 on: May 10, 2012, 04:21:22 am »

oh wow, a tantrumming dwarf. Unfortunately he's not doing too much damage, however, I have about 25 dwarfs waiting outside the CotG bedroom for her to wake up to report his crimes.... I wonder if this is the time to forbid all hammers and maces in the stocks

hm, everyone left before the captain woke up. No crime reports...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 04:29:26 am by Garath »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22660 on: May 10, 2012, 04:37:01 am »

A snatcher showed up at possibly the worst time. My hunters happened to be heading back out after a reload and spotted him. He's been shot in the left foot, both legs, and his arm. Oh and did I mention a human caravan guard is coming to turn his brain into a fine mush with a hammer?

Enki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22661 on: May 10, 2012, 04:56:21 am »

My expedition leader is throwing tantrums constantly but immediately cools down again. Funny thing is, his only negative thoughts come from some vermin. Most of the other dwarves have similar thoughts and are ecstatic. Guess I have to strip him of his copper battle axe.

Does he hate the sort of vermin he sees?
He detests rats but I mostly got flies. I guess the main problem is that he has to fight some partial skeletons. Anyway. Lost a miner to magma. I was so excited to have magma I became careless and this poor lad died. But now the worst thing about this: He was my expert weaponsmith! :(

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22662 on: May 10, 2012, 05:07:47 am »

A second snatcher was rewarded with ahunter put one bolt into a kindney and another, by some miracle, only slicing off his right eyelid. Everything is going slow, but we bought some valuable platinum bars to sell to the fall caravan as lovely crafts. I'm considering dumping all my metal crafts and mugs into a room with some cut gems, locking my gem setter in there, and making him go to work.

Oh, and a nine year old flipped his lid in his sleep and is now screaming like a madman as he charges at a crafts shop. Here's hoping for a stone crafter.

Enki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22663 on: May 10, 2012, 05:12:32 am »

Yay, one of the migrants is the weaponsmith of an abandoned fortress of mine. Steel weapons, here we come! :P

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22664 on: May 10, 2012, 05:18:44 am »

Ok, so the first artefact was a rather ominously made grate called "Deadmirrors" this one is... "Lockdrained the Perfect Alliance," a shale braclet. If that refers to my dwarves and humans making excellent combat partners, then good. if not, it's a nice and optomistic name.

I wonder, if I proped the dead goblin across from a snatcher I just caught, would that not be a dead mirror?
Pages: 1 ... 1509 1510 [1511] 1512 1513 ... 3842