Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1503 1504 [1505] 1506 1507 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6093658 times)

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #22560 on: May 06, 2012, 06:04:08 pm »

The Rustic RabbitHut

14) Trading Season - Part 3 - Trade Winds are blowing
15) Roadkill

Right off the bat, the traders' Wagon Train rolls over a live wolverine, killing it.
It lies dead and silent, for now.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Since Mosquito Men Corpses are in the NE, I open the SW Migrant Tube
and begin construction to make a safe passage to fresh water.

The dwarf who lost his hand to the dead takes this time to go clean himself on the surface :(
This is why you always think carefully before opening your doors.
It works out okay though.

And now the wolvering corpse gets up.
I don't think it's much of a threat, all its limbs are broken.
It is dragging its intestines on the ground too.

For some reason, it is pathing to my construction site.
I seal off the floodgates, but decides to park right next to the site.

I decide that I'm not waiting.
There's no other undead on the map surface,
so I build a butchers and send the squad to kill the wolverine corpse.

The corpse is fiesty, it gets up 2 times before being properly butch'd.

I've been clearing out more space, hopefully for stockpiles and not corpse rooms.
The hexes fit together nicely !

The miners are working on a garbage compactor, and I build a tannery and farmshop to handle the skin/hair.
Let that be an lesson to all the rest of you nuts !
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 08:33:44 pm by ZzarkLinux »

Count Dorku

• Bay Watcher
  • Sounds Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #22561 on: May 06, 2012, 07:07:02 pm »

I've finally installed a trash-pulverising atomsmasher, which is currently merrily slamming its way through an endless chain of goblin bits. Meanwhile, my chicken-drop system is taking a long time to build, but if I can't use it to drop chickens 15 storeys onto goblins for reasons I'm not entirely sure of, what use is rock?
"when in doubt, Magma"

Miners are diggin out nicely, everything will go right, i hope. hell, what am i even saying? this is dwarf fortress. it wont go right.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22562 on: May 06, 2012, 08:47:58 pm »

I was looking for a new sig,  That will do nicely.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Bartinyou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22563 on: May 06, 2012, 10:45:19 pm »

Apparently a Large gem made it in the trade with the last human caravan, my duchess did not take kindly to such insolence and in one fell swoop killed 6 legendaries; the jeweler, cook, weaponsmith/armorsmith/metalcrafter, mason, miner, and a bonecarver.  Apparently I picked a blood thirsty lady to rule over my dwarves.

Edit:  Also mechanics in this fort are horribly cursed, my initial mechanic (original 7) was killed by a vampire.  My following 3 mechanics have all been replacing cages on cage traps at the fort entrance when an ambush/grizzly bear/unicorn decided to take them to their maker.  Luckily I had 38 children between the first 4 migration waves and 25 or so of them reached age 12 within 2 years, so plenty of replacements.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 11:09:49 pm by Bartinyou »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #22564 on: May 06, 2012, 10:50:38 pm »

Apparently a Large gem made it in the trade with the last human caravan, my duchess did not take kindly to such insolence and in one fell swoop killed 6 legendaries; the jeweler, cook, weaponsmith/armorsmith/metalcrafter, mason, miner, and a bonecarver.  Apparently I picked a blood thirsty lady to rule over my dwarves.

Sounds like somebody needs a "bath." A very special "bath" indeed.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22565 on: May 07, 2012, 12:47:05 am »

Ironpillar is still searching for iron; I've found bismunthite and tetrahedrite... Must go deeper!

My second carpenter has taken up mechanical engineering as a hobby, which is probably a good thing; constructing the above-ground living area has taken so much time that I'll soon be knee-deep in goblins, so a method to close my gates will be welcome.

My technique leaves something to be desired, I suspect. Taking a year to get to the walls-and-gates stage is way too slow. I have nearly thirty dwarves permanently on masonry duty, so I don't exactly know what they've been doing.

Juggling the rocks, probably.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #22566 on: May 07, 2012, 12:55:46 am »

ronpillar is still searching for iron; I've found bismunthite and tetrahedrite... Must go deeper!...

...Juggling the rocks, probably.

Iron isn't going to be found deep, since magnetite and limonite are found only in sedimentary layers and hematite is found in sedimentary and igneous extrusive layers. All of which would only really appear in the first few layers of the map. If you've got a map with more than one geological stratigraphy through different biomes, you can try digging elsewhere, but down isn't the way to go for iron, honestly. :-\

If you remove the masons' and miners' hauling labors, or any important dwarves you want to keep working and not looking for socks among goblin hordes, they will spend the vast majority of their time doing what you really want them to do, and thus work much, much faster. I always do this with my stoneworkers and usually get an exterior wall up within the first year.

My own interest in my fort collapsed yet again, and I haven't founded another one. This happens a lot. Fort-surfing until I take up interest in a fortress and it survives for a while, to die of boredom or unexpected fun...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
« Reply #22567 on: May 07, 2012, 01:00:17 am »

Fuck my life...

Edit: Thankfully, it was a brook, not a river as I had thought (with this graphic pack, rivers tend to have the same color as brooks).

Edit 2: Continuing with the same fortress started in the above picture, I am going for a more aesthetically pleasing design, while also trying to be efficient and defensible. Part of this design calls for a multiple z-level shaft with stair cases in the corners, and a central open shaft in the middle. On the bottom-most layer is where the meeting hall, kitchen, still and bedrooms will be, above that all the main workshops I need, and so on.

While channeling out the central opening, one of the miners was an idiot and caused a collapse, injuring himself (thankfully only himself) to the point where he could no longer move. He sat where he fell (all the way down in the meeting hall; he fell through 4 z-levels of unchannelled flooring to get there) for almost an entire year before he finally died of thirst, even though there was a bucket full of fresh dwarven wine right next to him.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 03:03:26 am by TheCoolSideofthePIllow »

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22568 on: May 07, 2012, 06:51:12 am »

I finally opened up the caverns again to take on Uph, the giant four-horned limonite humanoid. It's poisonous vapours did not start work till after it was dead. I tried sniping it, but it just wouldn't die fast enough. Now there are a bunch of swelling, rotting Thothgol being dragged to the hospital. Miasma is pooling in places.

Work continues on the fort expansion - I have laid out plans for another semi-fortress: connected, but distanced from the main fort, and quite some way underground. bedrooms are being carved below the work rooms and halls.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22569 on: May 07, 2012, 07:26:39 am »

The useless elves packed up their trade goods and left.  Good riddance.  For some reason, two of the traders decided to leave through the first cavern.

Birdsplosion!  Chicks, keets, goslings, ducklings, and poults have all hatched.  The sheep and alpacas are crapping out offspring too.  Our fort animal population is at 256 and my framerate is screaming for mercy.  Last year's birdsplosion has matured so our butcher shall be busy for a few weeks.  The traps down in the first cave have snagged two more dralthas, so they need to get trained and slaughtered.  They get slaughtered right away since they are ridiculously huge grazers.  It might be helpful to train them for civilization knowledge and we're also making them herdable to the butcher's shop.

The outside traps have caught a grizzly bear!  Huzzah!  Traps do something the stinking elves cannot (the elves have no excuse here either since they have TWO settlements in the same local area map and grizzles are in this biome!)  He's going to be trained up, and I hope I can catch a female to breed them.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 07:30:33 am by orius »
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #22570 on: May 07, 2012, 07:51:33 am »

Just finishing the top floor of my new act of insanity.  Then to engage the Clock...

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22571 on: May 07, 2012, 11:39:35 am »

Does it look dwarven? It does not matter if it works as long as it looks cool and overcomplicated.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

AfroScotsDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • AfroScotsDwarf, the scotish cyclops with a thirst
    • View Profile
« Reply #22572 on: May 07, 2012, 01:06:22 pm »

recently discovered how to find adamantine! praise the miners!

shortly afterwords, i learnt another valuable lesson.

i abandoned.
"i would rather consume nutrition which has become FUKIN MAED GON HOT BY DA FIRE." Edward on hot food
 ಠ_ೃ

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #22573 on: May 07, 2012, 02:59:18 pm »

recently discovered how to find adamantine! praise the miners!

shortly afterwords, i learnt another valuable lesson.

i abandoned.
Sir, you are getting your beard removed. *Grabs AfroScotsDwarf by the beard*
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It seems that ranged enemies are tougher in this version, I've lost 6 of my legendary candy clad dwarfs to a storm of copper bolts and arrows.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22574 on: May 07, 2012, 03:20:49 pm »

Vastly tougher. Especially if they have silver bolts. Those things tear through armor like paper.
Pages: 1 ... 1503 1504 [1505] 1506 1507 ... 3842