Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1501 1502 [1503] 1504 1505 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6093318 times)

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #22530 on: May 06, 2012, 06:58:42 am »

Well, as it turns out I don't actually have any iron. This makes constructing a massive iron spear with which to screw the HFS a tad difficult.

However, this does mean that I simply have to murder enough goblins to populate South Korea to collect the iron I shall need.

Put an iron tip on a spear of excavated stone (as in dug-around and possibly smoothed).  That way when it hits the bottom, it'll seal the breach into the HFS.

Nah. It's going to be all iron. That's my goal and I'm sticking to it.
Although the bottom-most level may contain my trade depot. I'll probably end up firing my iron pillar sometime in spring... I wouldn't want my Dwarves to be snowed in and miss the spectacle, after all!
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22531 on: May 06, 2012, 07:01:34 am »

The dwarves from Italzulban arrived. We managed to buy a bunch of geese, chickens, and a dog! Not to mention some alcohol.

A forgotten beast showed up and was dispatched very quickly. Its noxious secretions appear to have caused nothing but nauseousness.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #22532 on: May 06, 2012, 07:49:26 am »

Holy crap... My megaproject is nearly done...   The DoomClock is sealed off, the temporary quarters the dwarves had initially used are ready to be flooded and sealed (just 'cause), the bridges and DoomCounter are all hooked up properly and I'm pretty certain the power will stop itself the moment the fort is abandoned for xXFUNXx reclaiming.  Just gotta finish the last few floors on the top.

Urist_McGamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22533 on: May 06, 2012, 07:57:55 am »

Reksasineth is coming along nicely, the perimeter wall is up and the grid of streets is about a third done. The dwarves even seem happy to be living in an open air pavilion in a desert. All I have to really do is make sure they have food, booze, clothes, and work to do and I'll have the first actual buildings up soon enough!
But others might prefer to have the mess contained behind windows to avoid tracking blood all over the their nice, color coordinated floor patterns. Kind of the Ozzy Osborne vs. Martha Stewart debate.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22534 on: May 06, 2012, 08:19:40 am »

Okay, need some advice.  The fort I'm making is designed to be reclaimed and had fun with, but I don't know what I should do with the current 247-odd population of dwarves.  Should they be free to roam and possibly return with a forced abandon once the fort is finished, or should I take a leaf from the books of ancient egyptian and chinese masonry undertakings?

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22535 on: May 06, 2012, 08:23:24 am »

Do as you did in Swordthunders; put everyone in the walls.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22536 on: May 06, 2012, 08:24:10 am »

I wouldn't ever kill any of my guys on purpose if they aren't werebeasts or vampires or they did something that deserves execution in the eyes of high justice ( me ). So I'd say you should probably let them go, but if the possibility of highly skilled dorfs migrating later on would reduce the FUN from your fort, then maybe they should all turn into obsidian statues.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22537 on: May 06, 2012, 08:34:29 am »

I only entombed the forum-goer's dwarves in the walls when they died of natural causes. 

I wouldn't ever kill any of my guys on purpose if they aren't werebeasts or vampires or they did something that deserves execution in the eyes of high justice ( me ). So I'd say you should probably let them go, but if the possibility of highly skilled dorfs migrating later on would reduce the FUN from your fort, then maybe they should all turn into obsidian statues.

I wouldn't normally willingly off my dwarves either.  Be negligent in OSHA-compliance, maybe, but never outright try to kill'em off.  The nature of this megaproject does kind-of suggest they shouldn't be given the chance to come back though, given the fact a lot of them are quite skilled. 

That's two votes for kill'em all when it's done.  One more and I'll start looking into how they can go...

Urist_McGamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22538 on: May 06, 2012, 08:42:45 am »

I only entombed the forum-goer's dwarves in the walls when they died of natural causes. 

I wouldn't normally willingly off my dwarves either.  Be negligent in OSHA-compliance, maybe, but never outright try to kill'em off.  The nature of this megaproject does kind-of suggest they shouldn't be given the chance to come back though, given the fact a lot of them are quite skilled. 

That's two votes for kill'em all when it's done.  One more and I'll start looking into how they can go...

Kill 'em all, let Armok sort 'em out!

But whatever you want to do is fine...
But others might prefer to have the mess contained behind windows to avoid tracking blood all over the their nice, color coordinated floor patterns. Kind of the Ozzy Osborne vs. Martha Stewart debate.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22539 on: May 06, 2012, 08:51:21 am »

What you should do is hold a gladiatorial contest. Build an arena, stick everyone in there and allow in some goblins. One lasher goblin should easily be able to throw down with ten or so dwarves, so a nice little siege should do nicely.

It'll then be up to Armok to decide who He deems is worthy to return to your fort one day.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

nymall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22540 on: May 06, 2012, 09:01:16 am »

The arms of my Gigantic Underground statue have emerged from the bedrock, and the tribute to Sôd, godess of twilight is forming. Unfortunately, by other project, the Goblin Flambe Machine is going less spectacularly, as I have seemed to capture and tamed a large fire breathing cat instead of a fearsome beast. It's rather depressing.

Edit: And a siege. A goblin riding a bat. I don't think he has any controll of his mount...  :o
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 09:15:49 am by nymall »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22541 on: May 06, 2012, 09:05:03 am »

What you should do is hold a gladiatorial contest. Build an arena, stick everyone in there and allow in some goblins. One lasher goblin should easily be able to throw down with ten or so dwarves, so a nice little siege should do nicely.

It'll then be up to Armok to decide who He deems is worthy to return to your fort one day.

Tempting, but I limited as much construction and mining as I could.  The point of my megaproject is to be reclaimed and played - mining everywhere takes a bit of the fun out of that.

Very well, The labouring dwarves will die!  Now I just gotta do it so the bodies are mostly reclaimable - no-one wants 250 angry ghosts haunting their fancy new home...

edit: done.  Worked out a way using the fort's automated water system (oh yes, automated) to kill off the fort population without being irreversibly unrecoverable.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 09:18:17 am by ThatAussieGuy »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22542 on: May 06, 2012, 10:37:39 am »

Trying to work out if I've crossed a moral line somewhere, moreso than usual.  Built a rather fancy fort with advanced mechanical and engineering principles applied to it, set up a water clock that will destroy said fortress if it ever completely fills, and made it so the only way to reset the clock is to sacrifice a dwarf off of a retracting bridge.  With the intent of abandoning it and sharing it as a fun reclaim fort for people to play.

And I'm considering killing the fort's current highly-skilled population so they can't show up in anyone reclaim games.  Hmmm...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22543 on: May 06, 2012, 10:49:52 am »

Construction in Silentthunders has been unusually slow, hopefully the advent of spring will make things better for the Dwarves

A flock of Skeleton Keas showed up.
I sent 9 of my best equipped and skilled soldiers to tackle what should've been an easy task.
Both marksdwarves forgot to bring ammunition, resulting in a mass scramble with the buggy flying AI causing some Dwarves to forget how to attack. And as a result of the brilliant armour - attacks that would've caused bleeding and scratches suddenly became blunt attacks that caused broken bones everywhere.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #22544 on: May 06, 2012, 11:11:38 am »

Trying to work out if I've crossed a moral line somewhere, moreso than usual.  Built a rather fancy fort with advanced mechanical and engineering principles applied to it, set up a water clock that will destroy said fortress if it ever completely fills, and made it so the only way to reset the clock is to sacrifice a dwarf off of a retracting bridge.  With the intent of abandoning it and sharing it as a fun reclaim fort for people to play.

And I'm considering killing the fort's current highly-skilled population so they can't show up in anyone reclaim games.  Hmmm...

leave them be, they'll die anyway
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 ... 1501 1502 [1503] 1504 1505 ... 3842