Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6109038 times)

Zafmg

• Bay Watcher
  • Dort Fwarfess
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #2250 on: April 15, 2010, 08:55:27 am »

The military interface is legible and with a bit of work not too hard to navigate. The problem is the dwarves don't quite get the orders you send them much of the time. I've found making them get specific weapons works okay, but again - very unreliable.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: April 15, 2010, 08:57:54 am »

I found from experience equipping your military turns into a nightmare once you have more than two or three active dwarves. Also try to avoid creating more armor or weapons once you finally sort out the mess.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: April 15, 2010, 09:54:01 am »

Hi!

First, I really have to get something off my chest:

AWESOME! AWESOME! AWESOME! AWESOME!

In my 31.03 fortress (experimenting with a relatively wet world in hope of fighting the curse of blood), I have followed my usual habit of buying the interesting animals from the elven traders. It is now the third or fourth year (so second or third elven caravan), and I was able to get my broker to do the trading rather quickly, even before summer began. From the offered items, I went with a giant eagle, a wolf, an elephant (I am not sure about that one, it was hard bargaining, so I may have skipped it to save money), and several giant tigers, giant leopards, and giant jaguars.

My second habit is releasing the animals right after buying them (they help guard my fortress, uncover thieves, snatchers, ambushers, other noteworthy hostiles).

However, this time, something was different. Even before summer came (that means, just one or two days after releasing them!!!) I saw the red C in the left bar. I was worried that some of my dwarves may have offended the local wildlife, so I checked:

Nope, it was one of the giant jaguars or leopards (sorry, I forgot which) I just bought which had spontaneously turned on a wild elephant cow! Not even a week in my fortress, and the feline was already doing some serious hunting there!

However, it was not able to finish off the elephant cow, and she recovered from that fight, only to get into trouble with others of the felines. Right now, she is lying there unconscious in a big red zone, exhausted, her right ear and tusk ripped out and a giant tiger lying next to her, over-exerted. Besides the missing parts, her entire body is full of serious wounds, so I am hopeful the tiger will be able to finish the job (I don't want to steal the fame, so I am not sending the military in).

I noticed that the felines will not co-operate in hunting: If one of them is chasing prey, none of the others will attack that specific prey unit, even when the chase moves close by. However, once prey and predator are not together anymore, another predator may take up the baton.

While the elephant cow has been lying there a while, another giant feline chased an elephant bull around the map. Unfortunately, their chase led them into the entrance area of my fortress which is neither trapped nor walled yet.

The elephant quickly realized that the tunnels were a dead end and left again, but not before kicking my broker in the right (I think) hand!

While I am feeling sorry for my broker, I am excited about my first real experience with the health care system (I had only one previous encounter in 31.01, and that ended fatally because of what I think is a bug). Of course, I don't have soap or plaster, but my medical dwarf still cleaned the wound and is currently suturing it (in between, I removed her from the post remembering that people mentioned that otherwise health care would be bugged). Someone also gave my broker water right after she entered the hospital, so I am very pleased with how the healthcare system has worked thus far.

So, this spring/early summer (now) has thus far been simply awesome. And I am looking forward to making those ivory crafts once the tigers are done.

Deathworks

Gculk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: April 15, 2010, 10:52:05 am »

RAW HFSITE!  PRAISE THE PUPPY!

I threw a dog down a magma pipe and he found the HFS.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: April 15, 2010, 10:54:56 am »

Hi!

There is just one thing to say:

Fetch, boy! Fetch!

:) :) :) :) :) :)

Deathworks

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: April 15, 2010, 11:11:22 am »

******* the bronze coloussus xxxx has arrived. not that i noted the name, being too busy panicking and assigning civs to a hastily designated burrow.

pull lever, close fort up inside with a bridge wall - unpause, let it run - 'dwarffort.exe has encountered an error and needs to close*

FFFFFFF
reloaded from the last save after df crashed on me. it promptly crashes a few more times once the megabeast shows up. apparently my fort is now sufficiently filthy rich to get megabeast attacks to spice up the usual snatcher showing up. here's to hoping that this time around, it won't crash once i try to deal with the giant that's shown up this time. perhaps if i do not designate and assign burrows..

I have just experienced this situation myself. Ettin shows up, I panic and designate emergency burrows, scramble the military, close the gates, unpause and...

dwarffort.exe has encountered an error and needs to close.

Adding to bug tracker now, issue 1202

Yobgod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: April 15, 2010, 11:23:33 pm »

Most Importantly, I have learned not to judge an immigrant by label.

Yet another useless "Fish Cleaner" showed up, and I was about to consign him to the depths, when I checked his skills...
Proficient Fighter, Armor User, Biter, Dodger, Siege Engineer, Siege Operator... all obscured by his High Master Fish Cleaner skill.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: April 15, 2010, 11:31:42 pm »

Embarked on an abandoned dark fortress. Got three obsidian towers. My wealth is in the stratosphere (I don't have any rooms I didn't build, so I'm assuming the towers are counting as architecture.)

Spring: 8 Migrants
Summer: 20 Migrants
Autumn: 17 Migrants

I think I'm going to level a tower.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Geti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: April 16, 2010, 02:43:48 am »

OH DAMNIT WHY DIDN'T I TURN AUTO SAVE ON!

Set up a pretty successful mountainside fort, dug in, trade going fine, military going fine, hospital able to fix dwarves well enough etc etc.
So anyway, some goblins arrived, and were losing to my army (sure, they were using copper stuff but i was pretty much surrounded by native copper so they were covered in it, and it worked out alright apparently) when all of a sudden

the game crashed.
goodbye two years. <_<

Snall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: April 16, 2010, 03:34:41 am »

Aw Geti that suckkkss.  I save every time I do anything half way interesting.  Only takes 30 seconds or so to save and get back in...I DO want a save that doesn't quit someday though.

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: April 16, 2010, 06:30:59 am »

I lost  10 hours of play once.
Almost gave up on dwarf fortress.

brainfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: April 16, 2010, 07:17:55 am »

This is, without a doubt, my favorite thing about the new version. Bravo, good sir.
You can allow or stop your dwarves from eating these mushrooms, but it's entirely optional and doesn't turn Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf hookah-smoking pad.

Zafmg

• Bay Watcher
  • Dort Fwarfess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: April 16, 2010, 07:27:20 am »

Cavern fort working out better than expected. Lots of meat. Draltha, yum yum. Troll and some Trogologs gave me some trouble. Two military dwarves died of thirstiness - no water too cold too freezing. Some dwarves unhappy with death rate.

Doctor most recent to bite the dust. Pushed off cliff by Giant bat, fell three z-levels. Hurt his arm and leg badly but got up. Too late, too late. Giant Bat swoops down and tears off his head. At least it was quick. Giant Bat later attacks dog, but gets sliced up by Axedwarf. Butchered him up. Lots of meat.

Tonight the menu is Giant Toad, found on outskirts of fort frontier. Slice and slash and hack and bash. Lots of meat.

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: April 16, 2010, 10:05:26 am »

Just embarked to a ocean site, hoping to catch some whales and asorted whatnots.

So I have a look across the shore: drift wood, waves, and dick all else. Not a fishy.

I did manage to breach my first aquifer though.

Count_Siitoin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: April 16, 2010, 11:05:59 am »

DigDeeper mod :

Embarked in a haunted woodland. Shouldn't have done that,really. I had just enough time to set up the workshops(mason,bowyer,still,carpenter,craftdwarves ws and the butcher shop), stockpile for wood, small barracks and a plump helmet farm when I was attacked by an ogre mage(terrible creatures,they cast deadly fireballs). I ordered total lockdown and the only way I managed to kill the damn thing was to bait him to shoot a peasant,thereby setting most of the forest on fire. The spreading fire killed the damn thing and a bunch of werewolves too. However, I lost a weaver in the flames because he didn't manage to get inside in time.

Now I have about 20 dwarves and a military of 5 so I'm not totally helpless when some ogres harass my fisherdwarves/woodcutters. However the future isn't looking all that bright because orcs come every now and then to lay siege to my outpost. I can't do much about them because they have steel armor and my military dwarves barely have leather armor/obsidian swords and are hopelessly outnumbered. At the moment all I can do is wait until they leave. The bastards just slaughtered a dwarven caravan and their liaison is trapped in my fortress. I can't even get my hands on the goods of the dead merchants after the orcs leave since there are a number of rhesus macaques outside and they steal everything they can.

DF2010 :

Embarked in a non-haunted woodland. The area has plenty of copper veins and I have a good number of copper bars already made. Also encountered a weird bug : Every time I order a wooden or bone crossbow to be made, the bowyer cancels bowmaking, stating that he "needs logs". Dear Armok, I have tons of wooden logs in my stockpile and the carpenters can use them just fine! This also applies to bone. Sure, they can make bone bolts, but for some reason they outright refuse to make bone crossbows. Also, my designated bowyer died of dehydration in his workshop and nobody is raising a finger to bury him. Now his rotting corpse is producing a choking cloud of miasma and making my workshop slaves even more depressed. 

Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 3842