Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972825 times)

deadreaver1

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #225 on: November 14, 2009, 01:21:09 am »

Some Rhesus decided to show their face in my fort. One randomly became enraged and attacked my baby carrying Marksdwarf. Funny thing though. Dodged into a small pool of water both her and the kid perfectly intact. At least I did learn something out of this though. Baby's take less time to drown  ;D

In other news, My dwarves are afraid of groundhogs XD

majic13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 14, 2009, 09:17:00 am »

Located the Hidden Fun Stuff. Sealed it off for now, and I'm in the process of digging out a 10+ z-level temple, which will be adorned with columns and engravings and so on carved from the living rock. A huge circular chamber, with a 7 z-level 3x3 pillar rising in the middle of it; a staircase in the middle of the pillar, only accessible by drawbridge, will lead down to the entrance of the funhouse. Fortifications in the surrounding walls should give us an edge against the clowns.

NewoTigra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 14, 2009, 10:10:04 pm »

I got a siege of 50 [SIZE:24] orcs.

Just to see what would happen, and because all the animals were slowing down the game, I sent out the 30-odd War Polar Bears.
In fairness, I completely expected them to get slaughtered, but then I found out something interesting...
They're GODDAMN BEARS! The closest things to dwarves with fur!
Somehow, these size:8 lovable white critters managed to kill most of the Orcs.
One of the survivors* has a title 'Urist NerridSiz Ertong', which apparently translates to 'Dagger GrindGrease the Gerbil**. He has a lung missing, only one eye, and is soaked in blood, but no other wounds***.

So anyways, I'm currently seeing if I can build a huge memorial tomb to an animal. So far it has a river of magma, some chained wolves and is built in the form of an massive bear (aboveground construction).
ATM I just need to finish building the head - it's taking a while due to the copious amounts of pumps needed to transport the magma up to the eyes, where it shall flow out in a huge world-burning torrent.

Once this is done I may abandon, so as not to sully the sacred Fort of the Bear.
Alternatively, I could chain up as many female polar bears as I can in the monument, or see how many sieges Urist can fight off, then entomb him in the Steel Coffin**** in the Head of the monument, just behind the magma eyes.
Or maybe in the Heart instead, in the oubliette in the center, accessible through a single tunnel through the  6x6x6 chamber of magma*****.

*Sent in all 8 Champions to mop up the rest of the Orcs, 2 died.
**checking in legends later, he apparently killed 14 of the orcs. Most megabeasts in my game kill around that number of anything, then usually die to Orcs.
***Not quite sure how the Orcs managed to mangle a lung without damaging the bears chest. Perhaps some kind of phase-spear?
****Said steel coffin is currently encrusted with every gem I can get my hands on, and studded with nearly as many metals. Just need to finish up with the bone + leather decorating and it'll be fit to be placed.
*****Because all monuments need a heart of Magma.

]Tl;dr Polar bears are made of win, RNG is awesome, and you can never have too much enough magma in a Monument.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 14, 2009, 11:21:30 pm »

Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Fien

• Bay Watcher
  • I kinda miss 40d, I knew how that worked.....sorta
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 14, 2009, 11:51:32 pm »

Half my damn military are either elite or champions.....SUCK ON A BATTLE AXE MADE FROM THE IRON OF BRETHRENS' EQUIPMENT YOU GOBLIN FUCKS!
In his house at Fondledbread, bored Cthulhu sits playing.

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 15, 2009, 12:21:14 am »

I'm still coming to grips with the more basic aspects of the game (I managed to flood 5 fortresses in one day because... I forgot how to make a proper well (and once because I decided to make a moat, forgetting that the channel from the brook would indeed break through into the dining hall directly beneath it)), so most of the things are still quite a challenge for me. 

The first time I tried to utilize magma, I was a bit over-eager and very naive and broke into the volcano caldera shortly after setting up the most basic of living arrangements for my starting 7.  I put up a smelter and a metalsmithing forge and all seemed to be going well - I'd found native platinum and lots of hematite, so I set to work making some iron stuff.

And then the massive population of fire imps decided to introduce themselves to my dwarves, much to my dismay.  The first dwarf, the bookkeeper, dodged a fireball and promptly fell into the volcano.  I drafted my miners and my woodcutter and they managed somewhat to beat back the fire imp group.

Of course, that was when a Fire Man decided to join the party, and immediately burned to death my woodcutter.  I gave up on that attempt after that, as the remaining dwarves were not fit for anything but hurling things at each other in rage.

My other attempt is so far going a bit more successfully.  There's lots of obsidian and what seems to be a dead/hibernating volcano, so I'm going to make sure I've outfitted my dwarves with actual weaponry and armor before I dig down to see if there's any magma to be had within.  There are lots of gargoyles everywhere (from... whatever mod adds gargoyles, I'm terribly disorganized), but they're not terribly hard to kill (only killed on dwarf and injured another so far), so I've had statues to put in every random corner of the fortress, also my dwarves are terrified of rabbits.  And dark gnomes periodically swarm like ants over the top of the volcano.

And in cat fortress which I'm fooling around with, I accidentally walled my carpenter into the upper floor of the bunkhouse.  Oops.  And another cat got eaten when it decided to hunt a perfectly healthy wolf, rather than the one that was limping around town with three yellow wounds bleeding everywhere.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Ubern00b

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 15, 2009, 02:08:56 am »

Wirevix - To stop imps and such escaping from magma build a grill between you and all magma use forticfications
:D

They work like a sieve, Magma through but no chunks.

My fortress is currently dying, I was so busying making it kick ass i forgot to make food or booze.
Quote from: Canuhearme(Facepunch Studios)
Isn't Dwarf Fortress just a game of delayed free-fall into a hideously painful and frighteningly horrific death?

Poojawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 15, 2009, 04:56:49 am »

Almost done building my citadel with diaganal walls.

Those are a *bitch* to make. >.>

But it's all made of Rutile (smelter help there, <,<) But it's a pimpin' purple fortress now :D

and have quite the row for the archers.

Xzalander

• Bay Watcher
  • Flooding Forts Since 1402.
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 15, 2009, 05:56:46 am »

My Jeweler was building the workshop he needed when he went into a fey mood, another started tearing his clothes off and ran around the wilds naked because a year earlier he threw his wife off the 47zlevel waterfall as a burial ceremony. In some kind of Symbolicism he dehydrated to death.

In other news, slow progress is being made in any other aspect, the dwarves arent yet in a spiralling Fun mood but they are all milling around generally being Whingey gits. So nothing new there.

Also the miner who suffered a cave in last year is STILL in bed with a minor hand injury. SUCK IT UP!
If someone is going to mess with my fort, they deserve to drown in poop.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 15, 2009, 06:08:33 am »

Almost done building my citadel with diaganal walls.

Those are a *bitch* to make. >.>

But it's all made of Rutile (smelter help there, <,<) But it's a pimpin' purple fortress now :D

and have quite the row for the archers.
Could you add a link or a picture?
I remember I tried building diagonal walls but my project was far from being called a citadel. And I thought it would look ugly but was never able to find out because 3Dwarf refused to read 40d15 build.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 15, 2009, 10:29:27 am »

Sending adventurers to my recently tantrum spiral destroyed surface fortress to retrieve artifact equipment.

So far, 3 died to modded wildlife before they got anywhere near the fortress.(Giant preying mantis with scythe arms > proficient swordsman) and 1 made it to the site to get slaughtered by the hippos before he actually saw the fortress.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

A-chana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 15, 2009, 11:48:42 am »

Just got done dealing with another fey mood. The result is a door called The Spry Killer. It's decorated with wolf bones and menaces with spikes of chestnut.

Meanwhile, elves showed up, thankfully not noticing the mass deforestation I was doing to provide wood for the door. Brought many, many barrels or bins or whatever full of cloth. I'm starting to regret being nice to them now, but I can't afford to tick them off before I have a competent army. Maybe next year.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 15, 2009, 03:51:06 pm »

Just setting up a new fort. My main trader guy has already killed five rhesus macques with his bare hands. Forgot how much fun have seven is, since everyone is running around with like a chicken with his head cut off.

Tried to do the annual kitten harvest, but they all (Every cat has) adopted the same peasant to protect their asses before I could get to butchering them. That peasant's days are numbered, as soon a migrants get here anyhow.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Skooma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 15, 2009, 03:57:36 pm »

I had 2 or 3 goblin ambushes at once in the same place near my trade depot entrance. Despite 40 or so dwarves just hanging out up there staving off cave adaption all they managed to kill were dogs.

I also accidentally locked down my fort looking for the cistern switch, stranding those dwarves outside and trapping the dwarven caravan. A merchant went berserk for some reason but was quickly dispatched. The Count Consort also went berserk probably for sleeping in the grass and my inability to do the impossible (make 3 pig iron items... right). This solves the problem of me figuring out how best to kill him myself. Live works out well sometimes.

There are still merchants, guards and pack animals standing around in a state of melancholy because they were locked in for half a season.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 15, 2009, 04:14:17 pm »

The Path of Armok is a complete success. After rigging up around one hundred iron spikes (god I love magnetite) in a three tile wide entrance and wiring all of them to a single lever, I've been slapping and chopping my troubles (read, orcs) away. The only downside is I just butchered most of their leaders, so now I'll have to deal with goblins. I really hate goblins, damn ambushing cowards. I have weapon traps with orc weapons to keep them out, but two or three ambushes at once could get past that. Luckily I just struck Galena two seasons ago, so I now finally have my wrestlers training with real weapons, and I have three squads of orc corpses to make bolts for my marksdwarves.

On a related note, I keep finding kobold and goblin thieves mixed in with the orc corpses. Makes all the work of forging the spikes worth it.

Unfortunately, the orcs spawned on top of the human traders, so they died, but the caravans got away so no free lewts either. At least they'll report leaving with as much as they brought. The liaison survived though, he managed to run the Path before the orcs showed up.

Edit: God I hate goblins. Created a lever controlled back door so I could get lumber, and as soon as I opened up the wall there was a damn bow-gob ambush waiting for me. Killed two dwarves (one adult, one child) and maimed another who ended up in a cage trap. I had to wire the cage to a lever to get him out, for some reason they wouldn't release him.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 08:42:56 pm by Grendus »
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 3839