Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1490 1491 [1492] 1493 1494 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972711 times)

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #22365 on: April 30, 2012, 07:00:23 am »

Well I don't know about being ready ready by 1st Granite 106 because I'm not using pumps to speed the liquid up, but as of 11th Obsidian 105 the water tank is filling and there is a miner going to knock a hole in the side of the magma tube. I should probably see about picking a suitably useless and unlikely to be mourned dwarf to boldly be locked in and breach the candy.

Hope you mean walled in.  A locked door will just give the clowns a way out.

Whoops, yes, I do mean walled in.

1st Granite, 106: Ingish Orlikot, Cat (Tame) has died of old age. Niiice.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 07:08:42 am by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22366 on: April 30, 2012, 07:09:02 am »

Two more dwarves have come down with the infernal ash sickness, the Hero Moldath Rutodasmel, who killed a cave crocodile and then a forgotten beast, and her child.

Her child is faring much better.

[FAKEEDIT]: Moldath just suffocated. Her baby seems to be alright.

The dwarves from the mountainhome arrived. Thank goodness for them. We bought all of their food, some weaponry and armor, and a drake they have. The mayor now works as the broker due to his Expert Negotiator skill.

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22367 on: April 30, 2012, 07:34:25 am »

I just noticed one of my dwarf's names means "Craftsproblems"

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #22368 on: April 30, 2012, 08:00:21 am »

It WORKS

At least, the safe entry/exit method I devised for my anti-tunneling system. 

About to test what an offensive tunneling attempt does to it.  Urist McTestDwarf #1, please proceed to the designated dig site...

edit:  It worked EXACTLY as I thought it would.  Urist McTestDwarf,  you did a good j- oh...  Would someone give his widow something nice?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 08:11:46 am by ThatAussieGuy »

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22369 on: April 30, 2012, 08:38:08 am »

It WORKS

About to test what an offensive tunneling attempt does to it.  Urist McTestDwarf #1, please proceed to the designated dig site...

edit:  It worked EXACTLY as I thought it would.  Urist McTestDwarf,  you did a good j- oh...  Would someone give his widow something nice?

Let me guess, this anti-offensive-tunnelling rig is also the way you're preventing people from poking around in the innards of the doom clock?

Wordshame's water tank is full up, and the magma tank's hatches are being reinstalled with magma-safe mechanisms. Oh, and there's a siege. Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahaha I'm not even going to bother closing the gates.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22370 on: April 30, 2012, 08:55:10 am »

It WORKS

Let me guess, this anti-offensive-tunnelling rig is also the way you're preventing people from poking around in the innards of the doom clock?

Actually, it did start out as a means to keep nosy overseers out of the clock..  Then the thought of Toady's mention of digging creatures popped into my head and I wondered if there was a way to make a gate that didn't impact on the basic concept.  I did and it works.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22371 on: April 30, 2012, 10:04:30 am »

There is a single hatch left to be connected to its lever. Eeeeeeeeeeeee~ And yes, the hatch mechanisms are magma-safe this time. Orthoclase for the win!

Two-thirds of the siege has been faffing about where it first showed up - the other third got minced, and I've still got the gates open so I know a lack of pathing isn't the problem. They're just lazy sods.

Fake edit: The magma must flow!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22372 on: April 30, 2012, 10:05:58 am »

There is a single hatch left to be connected to its lever. Eeeeeeeeeeeee~ And yes, the hatch mechanisms are magma-safe this time. Orthoclase for the win!

Two-thirds of the siege has been faffing about where it first showed up - the other third got minced, and I've still got the gates open so I know a lack of pathing isn't the problem. They're just lazy sods.

I actually did the same thing myself when I made the Checkerboard.  I could've sworn I saw Marble on the magma-safe list...

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22373 on: April 30, 2012, 10:29:30 am »

I actually did the same thing myself when I made the Checkerboard.  I could've sworn I saw Marble on the magma-safe list...

Haaa. My problem was merely one of blindly spamming enter to use the first mechanism on the list.

I found my sacrificial miner! No friends, no relatives, a random dwarf of Wordshame would consider her a passing acquaintance at best. Too bad I can't engrave slabs in advance, because I totally would. In you go, Kubuk!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22374 on: April 30, 2012, 10:54:24 am »

Give Kubuk a tomb at least.  You can always get the corpse out afterwards.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22375 on: April 30, 2012, 11:21:11 am »

Give Kubuk a tomb at least.  You can always get the corpse out afterwards.

S'pose I shall.

Oh, DF cancelled itself and I had to go back to the start of summer 106. On the other hand, I got an artifact mechanism. That, plus the artifact bone crossbow I have, just went into my dining hall to cheer everyone up. (There's also an artifact hatch cover installed on the floor. And the whole damn hall is engraved, though not very well because I used engraving the dining hall as an excuse to train up my adequate engraver. Ecstatic dwarves, y/y?)

Come, mechanics, speed! Speed!

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22376 on: April 30, 2012, 11:37:29 am »

Oh, DF cancelled itself and I had to go back to the start of summer 106.
That's the 3rd time today i've read someone mention that happening, i think there might be a new bug causing somewhat frequent crashes, i better remember to keep seasonal autosaves.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22377 on: April 30, 2012, 12:29:31 pm »

Oh, DF cancelled itself and I had to go back to the start of summer 106.
That's the 3rd time today i've read someone mention that happening, i think there might be a new bug causing somewhat frequent crashes, i better remember to keep seasonal autosaves.

Huh, really? I thought it was just my computer being less than ideal for playing DF, what with it being a netbook and all.

Siege, meet weapon traps. Weapon traps, meet siege. What's that, siege? You have to go now? Buh-bye!

The area around my front gate is painted gloriously red. Oh, and the siege slaughtered the human caravan, oh well. And then left without me ever getting to shred their demon leader, since I minced the rest of them :(

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #22378 on: April 30, 2012, 12:38:12 pm »

Eric Blank cancels generate world: Interrupted by enormous errorlog.

I screwed up a lot of body definitions with my latest modding excercise. Need to work this shit out...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

bluefox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22379 on: April 30, 2012, 01:14:40 pm »

Contemplating setting CHILD:1 on the dwarf entity raws, so I can get as many up and out, and leverage my genepool as much as possible.

This actually contributed to the downfall of my fort.

So I start up the rabbit fortress, and everything looks pretty normal. Gorilla civilization over there, Goblins over here, and hey, the rabbit mountainhome has hostile relations with the Tigermen (not at war, but they do have the menacing red -------, just like the Goblins). That should be fun.

Embarking is pretty normal. I chuckle as I picture little rabbits leading giant war dogs around by their collars, not to mention the draft animals. Everyone digs in, and I'm pleasantly surprised when DFHack's "fastdwarf 1" works on the rabbits. Zoom, little lagomorphs!

Then one of my farmers has triplets. Right, I forgot to add the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag. Well, they are rabbits, after all. Then another rabbit births another bunch of triplets. And then another.

Twenty-five rabbits, nine of which are children. Not, I will have you note, babies. Children. Rabbits apparently come out of their mothers nearly full grown (well, about a fourth of the size according to the raws). But these are not helpless wailing infants that can be used as shields in a pinch. They do work around the fort, follow their mothers around, and complain endlessly about clothing.

I'm far too used to dwarves. I had made the first priority of the fort alcohol, and the farms and still were one of the first things I constructed. What I should have done was set up a temporary well, a loom, and a clothier's.

All nine children periodically tantrum; sometimes all nine at once, other times taking turns. They've killed the cat. They've killed one of the puppies. Stone doors get torn off their hinges, and tables get overturned. Slowly, ever so slowly, the newly-designated clothier makes his way to the workshop ... and declares that there's no cloth. Right. I used an old dwarf embark profile that has all of five pieces of cloth reserved for the hospital. Well then.

I set up a new (large) farm for pig tails, but that will take months before I can harvest. The bunnies may kill each other before then. Casting around for options, I send off one of my rabbits to gather some plants from the outside. Maybe there will be enough rope reed ... why, hello, Mr. Kobold! So nice of you to visit! And what a nice dagger you have ...

I've mentioned before that kobolds vs rabbits is very one-sided. The kobold decides to prove this by a lucky stab to the head before he flees. The would-be gatherer lies in the field for a little while before I realize that I haven't had time to make coffins, or set up a necropolis. The other rabbits begin to lose their minds to grief. The halls of the mountain get their first coating of rabbit blood, which starts the tantrums in earnest.

I'm down to five rabbits. None of the children made it through the chaos, and two of the five switch between tantrums and calming down enough to get some work done. Maybe, just maybe, this burrow will make it. Maybe I can get some clothes made. Maybe ...

EDIT: Down to one rabbit, tantruming in the dark. He's hungry, and thirsty, and extremely angry about all of his friends dying. He doesn't care about the poetic tale of the fortress that died for the want of a pig tail. He only knows that everyone in his life is dead. And that he's very thirsty.

He tries to make it to the barrels of ale that I've placed near every stairwell, but his thoughts keep turning to his friends and family, rotting in the dark halls, and he gets angry and forgets to drink. Then the thirst or his growling stomach brings him back to reality, only for him to go through the cycle again and again.

The last rabbit of the fortress finally curls up to die, raging against the world, not two tiles away from the bloody spot that marks where the first naked bunny killed the cat.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 01:22:34 pm by bluefox »
....I think Dwarf Fortress may be putting us all into the mindset of being a Greek God.
Pages: 1 ... 1490 1491 [1492] 1493 1494 ... 3839