Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1488 1489 [1490] 1491 1492 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5969306 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #22335 on: April 29, 2012, 09:48:42 pm »

I have some really vicious honey bees. Every few seconds something or someone gets stung. I also have some crappy animal trainers that keep letting the captured eagles revert to their wild state. Can't breed the damn things if they're wild, y'know!

I have a surplus of labor finally, and am having the entire fortress smoothed and engraved. The clothing industry had to be doubled up to catch up with both demand for pants and the enormous cloth stockpiles. The leather industry is lagging, as is the metalworking industry. We need more wood charcoal/coke to produce steel, or my militia will be running around in their skivies forever.

Nevermind, the game crashed when I attempted to save. FML.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 09:52:51 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #22336 on: April 29, 2012, 10:08:19 pm »

EDIT : Almost forgot, my mayor/baron has a craving for animal traps, but my carpenters flat out refuse to make any. I have no idea why. Bug ?
I had that too. Animal traps are made at the Carpenter's Workshop, but using the Trapper labor, not Carpenter.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Chronomancer

• Bay Watcher
  • save.us_Y2J
    • View Profile
« Reply #22337 on: April 29, 2012, 10:57:24 pm »

Legendary Dodger. Holy Tits.
I LOST THE GAME

Ashsaber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22338 on: April 29, 2012, 11:01:24 pm »

Turned off invaders.

Got sieged.

o.O

rridgway

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22339 on: April 29, 2012, 11:11:29 pm »

Work on Seasonpaddles continues. The above ground lake has bee dug, and work continues on emptying out the main chamber below the surface.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22340 on: April 29, 2012, 11:14:51 pm »

Saved game with the start of digging out the second tank and went to sleep, decided to work on the middle two layers when I woke up. Work's going much faster than when I dug out the magma tank, can't think why.

And then.

AND THEN:

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU DON'T PAUSE THE GAME, PEOPLE. I swear, I was just flipping over to DF while writing this post and BAM, the king arrives. Oh, there are goblins outside too, a whole three of them but still.

Oooh, you want to know what's really crazy? 22 of the king's relatives ARE MEMBERS OF MY FORT. Dayum. The best things about historical migrants are the ones you can't find out until the king arrives. Oh, and despite his tons of nieces and nephews he himself is not married. ... If I can, I'm going to hook him up with one of my starting seven.  ;D

... Oh, he likes addy. I can certainly deliver on that, your majesty! Or I will be able to, anyway. Patience, please, your purpleness!

Oh no no no no nooo, noo, shit, two sets of migrants on either side of the map, three goblins - okay two now, one ran into the initial cave traps I have - but anyway one's chasing down the migrants on the west - no king, I don't care much - and the other is chasing the ones on the east - king, OH SHIT

Buuut the king did bring two dorfs with a modicum of fighting skill. -ENLISTS- OOOOOH and down they go! WHOO LEGENDARIES
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 11:25:32 pm by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #22341 on: April 30, 2012, 12:17:28 am »

Turned off invaders.

Got sieged.

o.O

The game prepares invasions like thieves and sieges, migrant waves, and caravans a couple seasons ahead of time, so this is perfectly normal. If it continues for over a year, then you should feel worried :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #22342 on: April 30, 2012, 12:23:31 am »

Testing my Water Clock again.  It was far too... lenient before.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22343 on: April 30, 2012, 01:05:36 am »

I've devised a way to make the Water Clock tamperproof.   It will be surrounded by a wall of water from all sides.  Hooked to a set of water-sensitive pressure plates that are linked to the killswitch.  Try digging into it and not only will the tunnel be flooded, the fort will crash into the chasm.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22344 on: April 30, 2012, 01:40:18 am »

My military gave what for to a giant enemy crab (with deadly dust that causes vomiting, hemorrhage and acute death, judging by the combat reports). I guess they found its weak spot...
(Fighting crabs, lobsters and spiders is a pain 'cause all of those legs BtW. Much less chance of hitting something that's actually important.)

Also, opened up caverns for business in general. ☼cave spider silk sock☼s and *menacing tunnel tube spike*s go!
About 50% of the pit under the main entrance is all spiked up The military is at present still under-equipped, especially in the armor department... Fortunately, there's plenty of magnetite as well as other ores to rectify that. Bedrooms are being set up as fast as Dwarf IKEA can turn out new SLEEPYDORF beds.

The first siege caused some nasty casualties, not due to my lack of preparation or the goblins' superior numbers, but because of their stupidity. The goblin leader decided to forfeit assaulting my fortress in favor of giving his War Giant Toad a nice, long bath in a murky pool. The macegoblins with him decided that this was an order to chillax by the beach, and also refused to attack, until I used some poor civilians to lure them in. That didn't work out so well either, the gobbos just scattered all over the map chasing the civilians and then bashing their skulls in. I tried to end the siege with a surgical strike, killing the war leader and his little toad, too, but the macegoblins still lingered. The only option was to zerg rush them with a pitifully under-equipped and -trained militia until they finally either succumbed under the mass of sweaty dwarf-flesh and beards, or got bored and wandered off. Much frustrations. (Also a lot of tantrums afterwards, since the macemen took down a lot of dorfs with them.)
And I had such a lovely hallway of death set up just for them, too... Ungrateful greenskin bastards. >:(
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 01:41:51 am by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22345 on: April 30, 2012, 01:41:43 am »

I've devised a way to make the Water Clock tamperproof.   It will be surrounded by a wall of water from all sides.  Hooked to a set of water-sensitive pressure plates that are linked to the killswitch.  Try digging into it and not only will the tunnel be flooded, the fort will crash into the chasm.

Would building a support to the chasm walls, ceiling, or floor save the fort, or is it not that easy?

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22346 on: April 30, 2012, 01:51:12 am »

The red carpet (read: 10x serrated green glass discs for 36 tiles' length of a brook, though still under construction so right now only 11 tiles long) has claimed its first victim: a badger. It was relieved of its limbs.

The checkerboard goes well, with most layers completely dug out and the second tank almost done, though I had to suspend the construction of glass floor grates so the haulers could actually do the collect sand jobs.

I've got 2307 booze and only 281 meat. I do have 641 other foods, I think that's tallow though.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

bitesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember, FTW is WTF spelled backwards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22347 on: April 30, 2012, 02:26:20 am »

I do have 641 other foods, I think that's tallow though.
Make soap.

Which, coincidentally, is also what's going on in my fort.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 02:28:50 am by bitesh »
It only takes a second to show someone how you feel about them. The police call it "indecent exposure", but whatever.
Quote from: I-Ching
You lose your efficacious tortoise, and look at me till your jaw falls down.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22348 on: April 30, 2012, 02:33:22 am »

Would building a support to the chasm walls, ceiling, or floor save the fort, or is it not that easy?

Well, obviously yes.  The basic 'spirit' of this fort is you don't take the fun out of it by making a proper set of supports for it that won't break if the clock fills to the top.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 02:36:46 am by ThatAussieGuy »

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22349 on: April 30, 2012, 02:40:43 am »

I do have 641 other foods, I think that's tallow though.
Make soap.

Which, coincidentally, is also what's going on in my fort.
OT: Soap, by the way, is one of the commonly accepted materials for replacing living room walls that have been mined for ore. :P
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.
Pages: 1 ... 1488 1489 [1490] 1491 1492 ... 3839