Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1472 1473 [1474] 1475 1476 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6107845 times)

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #22095 on: April 22, 2012, 01:49:38 pm »

I kind of expected my captured vampire to fight really well but when I got sieged and opened his prison door outside he got killed right away. Yet his purpose of luring the enemy into crossbow tower range worked very well.
I kept his corpse forbidden and after a long time he is alive again. He now shares his cell with a duck who was functioning as emergency bait.

The main problem now is suicide due to lack of clothing. This new problem is proving hard to solve. I've adjusted the training schedule to 2 months train, 1 month free in the hope that my dwarves will take the time to clothe themselves instead going beserk due to being naked and gunning down children in the dining hall.

Also got attacked by a werepig (wtf lol) but the caravan guards killed it and now it disappeared.

Working on a magma-safe industry to get my magma-metal industry working. Things are progressing slowly. 2nd well development is almost finished and soon we will have soap as well.

There seems to be a 2nd vampire in my fort now.

Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

Morpha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22096 on: April 22, 2012, 02:48:33 pm »

Outpost liason didn't give me the deals I wanted, so I literally dropped an entire tree on him. That will teach the bastard... He's currently out cold with severe injuries.
Quote from: Gerottomo on May 03, 2012, 04:34:11 pm
That should be a new type of project, making a rug design in dwarf fortress (With accurate coloring)
"And so, after many deaths and much sacrifice, someone turned their fortress into a fully functioning self aware carpet that actively sought after sources of fresh blood."

The Giant Bat who decided an axe made a better weapon than claws:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108229.30

Urist McNittalope

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22097 on: April 22, 2012, 04:44:24 pm »

My fortress has around 200 dwarfs, with 70 being children.
My major is a vampire, living confined in his fine apartments with fortifications on the main corridor so that he is holding meetings with liaisons through them, and forbidding trading items and so on.

Got a nice 6 squads military, but few metal armoring and the magma sea is 100 levels below my main fort... thought of pumping it with a mega pumping stack, but lack of metal pipe to build the pumps...

A lot of green glass, by the way...

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22098 on: April 22, 2012, 04:48:07 pm »

Green glass is magma safe. You can pump that way.

Not a lot going on in my fort right now. Added a new dorf to the military, but there's not much need. My legendary squad takes out just about anything very quickly. Nothing has threatened me in years. A bit bored, but I don't want to sabotage the fort.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22099 on: April 22, 2012, 04:49:54 pm »

So Relicdreams is going well in the start of its third summer. Pyramid construction's stalled but only because I don't feel like building more, 84 dwarves and rising... and then I get the brilliant idea that, since clay is completely infinite and I have fire clay to boot, I should make the whole thing out of it and have a 32z pyramid of ALL BLOOD RED. This, of course, means I have to tear down the 3 z's already created out of microcline. One at a time, since I don't fancy cave-ins. Whoo. (Still. 84 dwarves. Not too shabby.)

Kobolds en masse, but since I have a few hunters they tend to die horribly fairly quickly. Getting goblin pedophiles too, but they're also good at dying. Oh, and I have a few drowned elves in the trash pile. :)

EDIT: And then a goblin snatcher makes off with a kid while I'm not looking. Goddammit.

EDIT2:
La-dee-da-dee-da, going about my business, building walls along the edges of my brook/road to funnel people, I should probably build bridges at some point to close off the fort in the event of a-

OH FUCK

EDIT3:

Seriously, goblins? Seriously? What is even your plan, I've got a giant maggot hanging around my trade depot and the rest of my dwarves are cut off from the surface, if you get rid of that problem then the human caravan will get rid of you, and if the maggot gets rid of you then it'll be weakened and the human caravan will take it out anyway. Either way I'm not exactly in danger.

EDIT4: Oh and it's destroying my waterwheels. Jerk.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 06:29:16 pm by Lielac »

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22100 on: April 22, 2012, 06:36:19 pm »

BunnyBunches the Rabbit-Hut

18) Always dangerous at sunset
19) Blade swinging is hard work

So this chapter is actually fairly dull.

The new migrants arrived, and brought another yak/buffalo/goat with them
So this entire time my butcher is swinging his cleaver, and my militia even got to swing at some hair.
The only thing I had to watch, is ever since that husk-barn-owl killed that elven camel,
my butcher keeps trying to go outside to butcher it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Speaking of that owl, I guess husked-wildlife doesn't become "permanent" on your map.
However, the camel brought by the traders has taken up residence on my surface.
I'll need to trap-or-smash it sometime. It's hooves can punch through bronze, which I don't even have.

The ash is angry. I finished the hex-bolt water/pasture area, and the ash wants to husk it all.
Tough luck.

My efforts are starting to pay off.
Just need to manage the zombie-camel on the surface or the elk birds underground to get some wood/magmasearches going.

xandalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22101 on: April 22, 2012, 06:47:39 pm »

Well, looks like Kordesor's cavern-side passive defenses are about to be put to the test...

Otherwise, the dwarves have almost finished flooring the cistern expansion, adding another level to the residential stack, adding another prepared food reserve (total now of 3 22x22 alcohol reserves, 3 22x22 prepped food, and 2 22x22 raw food). [edit] Population is now 250, 101 of which are children/babies. Current food stocks (including alcohol) will last for about 1&1/2 years should something catastrophic and unforeseeable happens to cut off access to the agricultural zone...[/edit] Work is also progressing on expanding the fortress's tomb, since their policy of "No more migrants" has lead to a very high number of memorial slabs... You'd figure that along with the visible wealth reported by passing caravans (which there ain't a lot of that's visible from the "outside"), they'd also report about the massive number of dwarven corpses strewn about the landscape above ground...

Still to do...
  • Find magma
  • Re-work farm plots and crop rotation
  • Find somewhere sensible but out of the way to haul a total of some 9k mixed non-economic stone to
  • Start forming a detailed plan for a mega-project... I'm thinking a massive cast obsidian statue...
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 06:53:24 pm by xandalis »

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22102 on: April 22, 2012, 07:42:21 pm »

So, siege is gone, I've reconnected with the outside world, the reports of dead are pouring in... (A few dwarves died, and pretty much everyone's pet is dead if they had one.)

Miserable: 21.
Very unhappy: 9.
Unhappy: 9.
Fine: 8.
Content: 17.
Happy: 6.
Ecstatic: 17.

Berserkers: 1 AH SHIT

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Fistbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22103 on: April 22, 2012, 07:44:56 pm »

OH GOD NO.

(He went on to get stuck in a cage trap and repeatedly transform into a werefox and back until I threw him and his stupid cage into the magma sea.)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 08:58:54 pm by Fistbeard »
Goblin ambush party cancels Hunt: Interrupted by 'Pyonta' Godenakum Ngalknazom.

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22104 on: April 22, 2012, 08:37:38 pm »

I realized that I fucked my new fort up from the beginning so I just dug into a pool.

I'm watching the FUN happen right now.
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22105 on: April 22, 2012, 08:43:25 pm »

I think the last age was named after the maggot the siege killed.

1st Granite 6. This time last year, Relicdreams was a thriving outpost of The Stormy Armors. Now, there are only 11 dwarves left. Also a few goblins massacring them. There hasn't been a caravan since the elven one last spring... I think I'm going to have to reclaim.

EDIT: Did I say 11? I meant 2.

EDIT2: Dwarf Fortress isn't responding, I think the goblins just murdered my last two dwarves. YEP OKAY TIME TO RECLAIM
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 08:45:31 pm by Lielac »

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22106 on: April 22, 2012, 08:44:25 pm »

God dammit, the water wasn't enough to drown everybody.

I tried digging till I hit the Clown Car but I got bored. Now my miner is trapped. Fuck.
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22107 on: April 22, 2012, 08:52:27 pm »

Before I reclaim I went through the legends of this world, aaaaand most of it is about Relicdreams. Kind of hilarious.

NOW! I shall reclaim. This time I'm bringing an anvil instead of sheep.

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22108 on: April 22, 2012, 09:02:01 pm »

Goddamit why won't my dwarves use channels?

There's channels to the bedrooms but the game keeps saying that the bedrooms are inaccessible.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #22109 on: April 22, 2012, 09:05:47 pm »

channels/ramps need a solid wall next to them to be able to be used. I am 99% sure you messed up and the game is working fine. edit: messing thing up when it comes to ramps happens a lot, so it's a safe bet

If you're bored, just abandon. If killing the fort is boring, abandon.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 09:07:24 pm by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 ... 1472 1473 [1474] 1475 1476 ... 3842