Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1468 1469 [1470] 1471 1472 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108168 times)

MrButtchicker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #22035 on: April 20, 2012, 12:27:36 am »

Dying. So much dying. I suck at the game when the first ambush comes.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22036 on: April 20, 2012, 12:30:22 am »

A kobold came across my trapped bridge over a 20z waterfall, aiming to steal something, and opened the door on the far side. Pastured there just for this occasion are a pair of black bears. One of the black bears spotted the kobold, and charged it. The kobold was knocked over and tumbled backward off the bridge. Effective security is effective.

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22037 on: April 20, 2012, 01:19:49 am »

After spending 6 hours searching a custom world (that is my most awesome yet).

I found the most
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
site yet. It is fantastic, I've never seen one like this, I've seen a few, none this grand, beautiful, glorious or placed so perfectly, its different then all the others I've seen. Not only that, my map is loaded with a ton of
goodies.

This is going to be that big fort for me... It has to be, no more crazy quitting after 2 years! I've got me serious a project now!

Oh yeah and my dwarves been chillin at the wagon for a bit havin a sip and smoke before they start digging.

Armok is shedding tears as we speak, the RNG has been kind... I'm afraid to dig, no entrances will be grand enough... =/
I voted for BANANA!

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22038 on: April 20, 2012, 01:25:42 am »

Still looking for an embark for my grand construction dream.
It needs to have an ocean edge, lots of trees, heaps of iron and flux.
And damn aquifers keep getting in the way. also the ocean needs to be deep, i can't launch a vessel that's 35 zlevels high and 16ish below the waterline if the ocean is only 2 levels deep.
Edit: Realised Prospector lets you check an embark before setting down a wagon, it seems theres no iron near the ocean, i'll try a regen.
Edit: Looking at advanced worldgen i just realised that i set a HIGH number for mineral scarcity, when i needed to make it LOWER.
*facepalm*
Edit/reply to guy below me: I've seen a few deep oceans before, it's not terribly important but it would be nice :D
Also a deeper ocean makes things harder since i'll need about 300 more pumps to moses away the water for each additional level.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 01:40:40 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22039 on: April 20, 2012, 01:37:14 am »

Still looking for an embark for my grand construction dream.
It needs to have an ocean edge, lots of trees, heaps of iron and flux.
And damn aquifers keep getting in the way. also the ocean needs to be deep, i can't launch a vessel that's 35 zlevels high and 16ish below the waterline if the ocean is only 2 levels deep.

A deep ocean is something I don't think I've seen yet, best I've seen is a lake about 6Z deep. Your best bet would be to dig a small bay to build it in and flood the bay =) as far as getting allot of ocean embarks, Perfect world is pretty good there if you make a decent number of islands and such. I have one which is 75% desert, but has a very pretty green band around the rain ward side, with a small bay that has some tree's. The rest has a few small oasis. DF Prospect + after about an hr I can usually find one good embark with limonite or magnetite in huge abundance, like 40K units+ You might have some luck with making some volcanic islands too =)

My current embark is on a huge amount of gold, sphalerite, and tetrahedrite, which I'm going to use to build my dream to connect to my hidden !FUN! 'thing'. It's also got a tiny aquafer and a little bit of silver too, which is just fantastic, I have not had this much luck in awhile =P

Thinking about it you could probably cave in something with ocean, to make a shear cliff bay 16z if you dug completely under, but you would still have to drain it first because you can't dig out the wall on the edge of the map =/
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 01:42:25 am by runlvlzero »
I voted for BANANA!

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22040 on: April 20, 2012, 02:29:42 am »

I think this is rather self explanatory.

Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

feidzd

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22041 on: April 20, 2012, 02:44:46 am »

This question is still too difficult for me the point, I still listen to the master said.
I heart which I could not help him

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22042 on: April 20, 2012, 02:46:42 am »

Why would you drown your traders INSIDE a volcano?!?!

Why would wouldn't you drown your traders INSIDE a volcano?!?!

This question is still too difficult for me the point, I still listen to the master said.
Uh, what?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

anqxyr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Google Profile
« Reply #22043 on: April 20, 2012, 02:50:27 am »

Firecrown, year one, winter.

Two artifacts have been created so far. Both are platinum statues. Each weights a ton and costs more than 200k ☼

The Moat is finished. 4 levels deep, it goes through all the soil layers until it hits the stone. Once the magma pump is build, The Moat will serve as the foundation for cast obsidian walls.

The forgotten beast Namicamela has come.  It is a colossal fluffy wambler.  It has thick, soft fur and undulates adorably.  Beware its awwwwww, aren't you a fuzzy widdle guy.
In software development, the first 90% of the project takes 90% of the time, the last 10% takes the other 90%.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #22044 on: April 20, 2012, 02:55:39 am »

That is going to be one big fort
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Dish It Out!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22045 on: April 20, 2012, 03:29:12 am »

Around year 3 and my fort has an overabundance of wealth and talented dwarves.  Volcano was tapped early and that led to a fey mood glassmaker with a preference for green glass.  He now makes the majority of the furniture.  I have a glassmaker, gem cutter, gem setter, armorer (likes copper), weaponsmith (likes battle axes), blacksmith (likes rose gold), two masons, a carpenter, a weaver (likes pig tail fabric), a dyer (likes pig tail fabric), a clothesmaker (ALSO likes pig tail fabric), a mechanic, and a cook all at master or higher (a bunch +5 legendaries).  I have stupid amounts of food.  I have something like 5000 turkey eggs and over 1000 booze.  Everything in the fort is getting encrusted with green glass.  I have four pet giant cave spiders and I think I'm going to build pillboxes for them to act as stationary turrets/warning outposts on the frontier of my property, soaking down invaders with silk while the military rallies itself.  I need to figure out how to make the GCS breed but that seems almost cheesy.  Still awesome though.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22046 on: April 20, 2012, 03:36:30 am »

I don't believe they breed because they lack a [CHILD] tag or something like that. It's easily fixed if you have decompressed saves- you can go into the world's raw files and add something like [CHILD:3] if you want.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #22047 on: April 20, 2012, 03:54:16 am »

I forgot if they actually laid eggs, but yes, missing child tag.

just checked, also no egg laying

just adding [CHILD:1] should produce life born young that grow up in a year, I think. You can copy paste egg laying from another creature and edit egg size and clutch size as you see fit. I think copying from a snake or so is preferable, since it has leathery shell which is more realistic for spiders than the hard shell.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22048 on: April 20, 2012, 04:02:36 am »

Apologies for double post, but the most momentous thing has happened in Sabreheals.

A living creature was sighted.

Dodok, our broker, apparently also carries a crossbow and bolts and likes to hunt.
Dodok crept up on this creature, a POLAR BEAR, and unloaded his entire quiver. He ran out of ammunition and went back to the fort; fortunately there have been no infernal ash clouds in some time now. The polar bear is dragging itself away; four bolts are stuck in it; all limbs are broken and he has a 'fractured' stomach. Dodok is heading back to the fort.

Dwarven merchants have FINALLY arrived.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22049 on: April 20, 2012, 04:07:42 am »

I think this is rather self explanatory.

Hahahaha hell yes !
Pages: 1 ... 1468 1469 [1470] 1471 1472 ... 3842