Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1467 1468 [1469] 1470 1471 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108285 times)

floundericiousWA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #22020 on: April 19, 2012, 11:44:02 am »

Just DFHack'ed my location and discovered that the only ore on the ENTIRE MAP (and I went for a large embark site border size) is tetrahedrite...and candy. 

This was disappointing....but...

I think I'm going to stick with it (and not just because I've got a large, stable population). 

I get really good stuff from trading caravans...and the dwarves bring REALLY high end steel armor when I ask for it.  I've got lots of sand, lots of trees, a big magma shaft which means I can setup magma forges.  Better yet.. NO HIPPIES!

Just kobolds and goblins...humans to trade with who bring lots of food and leather and cloth and love to buy my metal object'd'arts and rock crafts...and dwarves who bring loads of metal weapons and armor.

So here's my thought...turn myself into the largest rock craft spewing, metal copper furniture crafting, silver blunt weapon making, adamantine edged weapon making, steel wearing civ you ever saw.  Lots of glass from the sand for making glass furniture and serrated discs.  No tree huggers to get peeved about my clear cutting the entire embark.

agertor

• Bay Watcher
  • Socks, so useful I wear them
    • View Profile
    • Hey it's me on Steam.
« Reply #22021 on: April 19, 2012, 12:12:10 pm »

Used the massive Iron mountain that I built into to make many Serrated discs. There were  limbs everywhere when they tried to come into my fort. They didn't even make it to the cage traps. Plenty of fur troll stuff and daggers now. I'm just waiting for ambushes. I have a war dog leashed at the only walk in entrance so kobolds are quickly chased off. Thinking about making some animal food traps outdoors now so I can capture some of the giant owls outside. Unfortunately my mayor decided to have a strange mood, and because I do not have access to whatever cloth they want, I am unable to fulfill their desire. Which means my mayor is going to die. For whatever reason the mayor has no friends though, everyone is just an acquaintance. Hopefully no tantrum spiral afterwards, and currently making the (next) mayor's room as well as my captain of the guards. Because of all the Iron and Copper I am getting, I have a bit of an overpopulation problem. Nothing not handled, but for now a good half of my population is in the military. Complete with Iron and Steel sets of armor and weapons.
I AM THE SOCK PUPPET MAN
I came back with my sandwich. That was the saddest sandwich, I had ever eaten in my entire life.
you are an evil person sock.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #22022 on: April 19, 2012, 12:25:58 pm »

I set up a military, training all the time. I couldn't really spare the manpower (for those that don't understand: crap computer so keeping population down), but hey, just traps gets boring. After a season or two I check back on them. They hadn't been sparring or anything, so I didn't expect much. Marksdwarfs were set to train at a barracks, since they're shooting fine..

Armok must have felt friendly. Holy blood shit. Everyone scored some points in armor user, shield user and dodge. Now my marksdwarfs are back at organizing very efficient demonstrations while the melee militia is constantly sparring. Since they're all pretty good with their weapons, they are rapidly training eachothers armor use skill. It's like watching the military function as it should always do, but never did for me before. I keep expecting to wake up to the sound of my alarm clock or something... What danger room? These guys are making themself dangerous! Praise armok! Praise the Toad! Let's go slaughter more goblins.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

bluefox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22023 on: April 19, 2012, 01:15:56 pm »

Crazedcities continues to thrive.

Steel stockpiles near to bursting, I turned invaders back on.

It was months and months, though, before anything even remotely dangerous happened. Since I had started the fortress with invaders off, I had to go through the whole discovery process as my presence was announced to the world. First a lone kobold tried to steal from me, but the war cheetah the elves sold to me in my second year tore him into tiny little pieces.

So the kobolds sent a team of six to steal from me. Three were caught in cage traps, and the other three were torn apart by the aforementioned war cheetah and my steadily increasing supply of war dogs. The same happened to the would-be goblin snatchers.

Combined with the Thrips-Men and other animalmen I was able to capture, my squad of speardwarves were starting to get some decent training. But it still wasn't enough. So I popped open the caverns (carefully, mind, with a winding passageway full of traps and an alternate route that marksdwarves could shoot into).

Soon my speardwarves were defending weavers from crundles, trolls, blind cave ogres, and hungry heads. But they were barely at "adequate," with a few just getting to "proficient." And that was just in spear use; armor was still at novice level. So I caved and set up a danger room.

But I messed something up with my repeater. It will repeat for twenty times or so, then get stuck. I looked at the pressure plate, and, sure enough, I had set it to 6 - 7, rather than just 7 - 7, so it wasn't signalling "off" at the right time. I *could* disassemble the whole shebang and start over, but ... well, it would be a lot of work, and I don't feel like it. So the squad gets poked at irregular intervals instead, whenever I get around to toggling the repeater on and off. Close enough for government work.

Eventually, finally, I'm visited by a forgotten beast! A huge beast twisted into the form of a reptile, beware it's dangerous webs. So I leave the cavern door wide open, the beast walks right over my traps (as I expected,) and then I seal the bridge leading to the fortress and open the alternate path to the marksdwarf shooting gallery. The dwarves file in, and before the forgotten beast can even get into the room, he's pelted with dozens of bolts. A large majority of them hit (to my great surprise), and a flying -copper bolt- is more than enough to rip the beast into pieces.

Feeling very proud of myself, I don't even blink when not two steps later, I get sieged by goblins. I have another fortification setup positioned just over the main gate, so I figure this will be cake. I move the squad upstairs and watch the goblins move in.

(Interestingly, the human caravan had just packed up and headed out before they were interrupted by the siege. They bounced off the edges of the map, turned around, and headed back to the trading depot. Looks like no one can leave when fortresses are sieged!)

The marksdwarves take a bit of time getting to the surface levels, but they beat the goblins by a few steps. I wait for the first bolt to fire ... and wait ... and wait ...

Nothing. The marksdwarves are all in position, they can see the goblins, but they're not firing. My war animals start charging over the trap line to engage the speargoblins, and I muster up my speardwarves to make up a defensive line.

And I pause, and look at the marksdwarves to see what's up. Aha! No bolts in inventory! Well, you should go get some, they're right over here ...

That's when I realize, of course, that I've plumb run out. I had something in the realm of twenty thousand units of copper that I had smelted and made into who knows how many bolts, and they had used them all in training and in defeating the forgotten beast. I hadn't reserved a single one for combat only. So the marksdwarves were standing there, crossbows in hand, watching helplessly as the war dogs and war cheetah fought in defense of the fortress.

The speardwarves fought valiantly, once they arrived, and managed to take care of the siege. A few cuts and bruises, one soldier with a broken arm, but the rest made it through the fight in one piece. The war cheetah, sad to say, did not survive.

Less than a month later, as three bone crafters are furiously working on =forgotten beast bone bolts=, the king arrives! Looks like all those roasts I sent him made him realize there's a lot of hard work going on here. Fortunately, I had been expecting him sooner or later, and his royal tomb just needs to be engraved.

As I set up his retinue's bedrooms, I realize that due to a miscalculation, I have carved out rooms for three hundred dwarves. I only have 221 now. Do I up the population cap? Should I actually attempt to be a city? I'm wavering, because I'm already down to 15 FPS, but I'm so, so tempted to go crazy and become a city of a thousand dwarves ... maybe if I manage things better with burrows ...
....I think Dwarf Fortress may be putting us all into the mindset of being a Greek God.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #22024 on: April 19, 2012, 02:04:18 pm »

Everything is on fire!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #22025 on: April 19, 2012, 02:13:18 pm »

I'm building a city in the desert. 4 Z-levels below the surface, there is LOTS of marble, in addition to large amounts of silver, copper, tin, and other ores, plus a bit of iron. Built on the edge of a lake, but there aren't even any saguaros. I only dig to find marble, to grow mushrooms, to store items, and to create the evil catacombs under the palace that every Arabian-type city must have. I just built the outer wall. If you aren't useful, you get drafted into the marble block spammers. My legendary marksdwarf founder brings in a lot of meat, so Plump Helmets are used only for booze.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22026 on: April 19, 2012, 03:21:15 pm »

Forgotten beast: "How to shot web? Oh yeah, I remember!"
*webs everywhere*.
That giant hairy crocodile marched from one end of the caverns to damn near my entrance, weathering a hail of bolts from more than ten hunters, killing many in the process, but eventually succumbed to bleed out. He stood in the same place shooting webs and decapitating everything that dared to go near him until he died.

As far as brute strength goes, I'm very impressed. A worthy adversary.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22027 on: April 19, 2012, 04:24:13 pm »

Yup, webbing finally got dangerous again
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22028 on: April 19, 2012, 05:26:14 pm »

Yup, webbing finally got dangerous again
It's brilliant :)
I think I was just surprised at the amount, most of all. I expected like a couple of bits... but this bugger shot reams of it. I was so happy, lol.

brennenderopa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22029 on: April 19, 2012, 05:31:04 pm »

I had a glass beast spewing out large amounts of web. You can make some really fancy silk out of the webs. On the other hand, I am kind of sad, that I am not competent enough to build forgotten beast silk farms like mentioned in another thread.
Currently I am at war with the humans and I do not know why  :(
That is somehow sad, since the humans are my only source of platinum, and I want more platinum. They usually only bring one bar though. I guess, I will never see a platinum artifact warhammer.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22030 on: April 19, 2012, 05:49:11 pm »

dfhack
fixmerchants

then you get a guild representative again and can request materials from the humans. They can be tedious though

Krantz86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22031 on: April 19, 2012, 05:58:14 pm »

coming from the warhammer mod:
you see a febricitant dwarf, his eyes glowing of inner hatred,he is half naked so it's possible to see that his horribly scarred body is drenched in sweat...
his left arm is missing..
the jagged net of scars on his lower body seems to dance as he work furiosly at the forge muttering strange curses, hunger or thirst don't slow him down, everyone has heard that he will never be a soldier again so noone dare to stop him
days later he emerges from the fumes visibly thinner... almost consumed... in his hand he hold a dreadful scepter..
dreadful and magnificent...
he used the darkest rock crystal coming from the deep mines, bones have been embedded in the creation of the artifact and someone whisper in your hear that as final insult he used the skeletrical arm of his nemesis, the dark elven executioner who savagely mutilated him, he also molded gems and wood in bands encircling the hilt
you see him walk toward the warehouse and drop it on a pile of random crafts, then, staggering occasionally he heads to the dining halls, finally an air of relief seems to surround him...
he is alive....
he will have find a new pourpose...
the elf is dead......
his body rotting in a corner...
*you spit*
at least one grudge can be erased...

i wanted to share this hoping that you'll enjoy it

Re: 1000 sgins that you play Dwarf fortress (way) too much
154. When you get the word "adamantine" on your LA vocab, you quickly cross it out and replace it with "cotton candy" and spend the next 10 minutes in fetal position rocking back and forth in fear. (Yes, I actually did this.)
...Wait. Adamantine is real?...
...155. You are no longer sure what metals are real or fictional.

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #22032 on: April 19, 2012, 06:00:28 pm »

I just realized that the reason my dwarves keep freaking out is not (only) the rains of dwarven blood, but everyone is apparently naked.
Everyone's clothes have rotted off and now they are pissed.
Big surprise for me, as the last game I played clothes would last practically forever.
Trying to get a clothes industry going as fast as possible now.
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

brennenderopa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22033 on: April 19, 2012, 06:19:45 pm »

dfhack
fixmerchants

then you get a guild representative again and can request materials from the humans. They can be tedious though

Thanks, I will try that! I only have to wait until they are tired of going to war with me. I hope they like exceptional human bone amulets :D

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22034 on: April 19, 2012, 11:30:50 pm »

BunnyBunches the Rabbit-Hut

14) Shock and All
15) MegaProject Report 1 - Additional Slaves are Madness

So a lot is happening while I try to develop the surface.

Firstly, I'm surprised to see that my current undead are a Yak Bull trio.
I don't mind them too much. Yes, the will cripple most dwarves, but they move slowly, so I'm not terrified.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The next phase has just begun when I get a message that bunnies are born. Very nice.

Then I get a message that migrants have arrived...

This sux.
We are recovering from a booze/food shortage, and all of my existing dwarves are busy, and ~17 migrants show up.
They are annoying for 3 reasons:
1) They keep glitch-sticking on the edge of the map (one stands in place and blocks the others)
2) The longer they glitch on the edge of the map, the more likely they are to be seen by Yak Bull Corpses
3) They bring 1 cow, 2 yaks, 1 buffalo, 1 duck, 2 cavys, and 1 bunny

Those are all equally bad. Well 1 is annoying but 2 and 3 can wreck this fort.
If any migrants die, or if any of those animals starve, then I could have a zombie-pocalypse.

Wow, migrants really are hell in this version. Especially in terrifying area.
It seems like for each migrant
If Dwarf-Migrant then Draft to Military and tell them to move
If Livestock-Migrant then send someone to bring to pasture.

It takes me like 2 hours of gaming just to re-assign my dwarves to make more food/booze
and to pasture the new animals that threaten to starve-or-die, and to assign all the new dwarves to the project.
It's a micromanagement nightmare.

AND I have to keep my eye on the already-undead yaks outside.
When they get close, I have to close-off the megaproject.

Furthermore, I had tried to segregate my fort into two areas, with project above and development below.
But with only 5 non-militia dwarves below, I need to de-segregate so I can get more food/booze going.

While working, I get someone who is moody too !

This can't go well at all.
I have no metal, no silk, and if he wants bones I have to somehow move the megaproject around and slaughter
something and watch it reanimate.
I'll probably have to start slaughtering soon anyway, I got way too many animals without grass.
But if I cancel the megaproject, then some undead may spawn and fly right in during the madness !

Thankfully, he grabs 2 galena, and then gets stuck on some cloth.
I already have the thread my militia threshed earlier, so I just weave a few cloths from them.
The moody goes and grabs a cloth and begins !!

Of course, without a bookkeepper I have no idea how much it's worth.
But OMG you have no idea how stressful this is and how lucky I've been that the death-bulls are sitting
on the other side of the map this whole time.
Pages: 1 ... 1467 1468 [1469] 1470 1471 ... 3842