Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1458 1459 [1460] 1461 1462 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108839 times)

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #21885 on: April 13, 2012, 10:15:06 pm »

I was in the middle of clearing up after a goblin siege, when one of my farmers went into a fell mood (from what i can work out, as a result of her older son being killed in siege)

She proceeds to drag her youngest baby son to the butcher shop, chop him to pieces and makes a scepter "Worryfiends, the Strangled Twigs" out of him.  :o

She's now been ecstatic for some time from being so satisfied with her craftwork.

I love this game... And it worries me that I love it so much.
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

Cobaldunderpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21886 on: April 13, 2012, 11:03:47 pm »

I've decided on my first ever mega project. I'm doing it with my current fort "Depthmetal" (I love saying that.)

The fort is in the side of a steep mountain volcano. I am sheering away a large section of it and I am going to carve a dwarven visage into the cleared side. I will then have a floodgate allowing magma (lava) to pour from the mouth onto my enemies.
"I'm sorry, so you want me to make your underpants out of cobalt or kobolds?"

"Eh, whatever"

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #21887 on: April 14, 2012, 01:30:50 am »

I was in the middle of clearing up after a goblin siege, when one of my farmers went into a fell mood (from what i can work out, as a result of her older son being killed in siege)

She proceeds to drag her youngest baby son to the butcher shop, chop him to pieces and makes a scepter "Worryfiends, the Strangled Twigs" out of him.  :o

She's now been ecstatic for some time from being so satisfied with her craftwork.

How is the husband doing?

Project screw with the elves 2 has been started. The map will be clearcut this year so we can make them happy with meaningless treaties for the coming three years.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21888 on: April 14, 2012, 01:37:33 am »

How is the husband doing?

Project screw with the elves 2 has been started. The map will be clearcut this year so we can make them happy with meaningless treaties for the coming three years.

I think he was still alive at that point, but 6 months after this a massive siege turned up with a shock troop of war cave dragons... :o So with that fortress's magnificent existence lodged firmly in the past tense I can't check.  :P

Project screw with the elves eh? Sounds an admirable goal! I only wish it was possible to go to war with them, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the no diplomat thing will be taken care of soon.
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21889 on: April 14, 2012, 01:43:56 am »

Just use dfhack as a stopgap till it's fixed.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21890 on: April 14, 2012, 02:19:07 am »

Yeah, I just got dfhack to get the diplomat back in. The pointy ears are happy with me because most of the time I sign the stupid agreement, but in the years I don't sign I cut down a couple of thousand trees.

A gemcutter got possessed and made yet another coffer. The majority of artifacts is now either a coffer or a coffin, a sort of "pack up or die" message...

invaders back on and ofcourse, the first ambush appears at the same spot as the dwarven caravan. Not only did the caravan kill a lot of goblins, the goblins ran the caravan off. The last to remain is a crazed yak with a melancholic handler, who'll probably be killed by the next thing to appear.

update on screw with the pointy ears: It says I have 7000 logs now, and I have slightly more than 1 1/2 z-level to do. The first deforested layer already has some fress fungiwood, those things grow fast...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 04:37:44 am by Garath »
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21891 on: April 14, 2012, 04:42:16 am »

There's cavern stuff growing in my fort, and I haven't breached the caverns yet. Must be because I embarked near an abandoned fort which DID hit the caverns. Kinda gives me a nice head start, because there are trees and plants growing in my fort.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21892 on: April 14, 2012, 05:22:57 am »

yup, that's how it happens.

Goblin siege: 1 rather large squad. I'm really disappointed now, especially since they hang around the edge instead of attacking, most unsporting. Now the elf caravan and diplomat won't show up for me to toy with.

edit:

a minotaur showed up really close to the goblins, so yes the siege will probably be broken, just not the way I would have liked. 12 hammergobs vs minotaur, should be fun.

bah, one gob with a broken shoulder and one dead minotaur, boring.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 06:24:49 am by Garath »

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21893 on: April 14, 2012, 10:25:42 am »

Armok's beard, this is creepy. My two prime military dwarves, miss Kogan Oiledvale and Iton Pulleybands, are practicing in Kogan's chamber, being that the barracks for their squad is there.

As they're training, both of them are carrying the ghosts of their dead dwarven babies, who drowned in a recent aquifer-related accident. Try to picture that. Two heavily armored military dwarves, trying to carry on with their normal lives, the dead apparitions of their drowned children in their arms.

For a while I was spammed by cancellation messages when they failed to access their ghostly children who were warping in and out of the walls, but for obvious reasons that's now stopped. I wonder how they finally managed to catch them...

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #21894 on: April 14, 2012, 10:27:45 am »

Armok's beard, this is creepy. My two prime military dwarves, miss Kogan Oiledvale and Iton Pulleybands, are practicing in Kogan's chamber, being that the barracks for their squad is there.

As they're training, both of them are carrying the ghosts of their dead dwarven babies, who drowned in a recent aquifer-related accident. Try to picture that. Two heavily armored military dwarves, trying to carry on with their normal lives, the dead apparitions of their drowned children in their arms.

For a while I was spammed by cancellation messages when they failed to access their ghostly children who were warping in and out of the walls, but for obvious reasons that's now stopped. I wonder how they finally managed to catch them...

*Cue Ghostbusters joke*

Does that count as a bug?
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Geldrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Don't uoset the mayor!!4
« Reply #21895 on: April 14, 2012, 01:25:16 pm »

Hi there!

This case happened today:
By introdution, my mayor, Kulet Imoltar loves low boots, so he mandated a few of them. There was only a little problem: I've already processed all the supplies of leather... I tought it won't be a big deal, so I ordered two or three animals to be slaughtered. I was an idiot, because I tought I can rely on my tanners.... well, it was a mistake.
So the boss went angry. Very angry. But not the usual way, as you would suppose.
The mayor convicted a total random dorf (I guess he/she had some skills in leatherworking), so my badass cap'n'o' the guard caught the poor lad, and smashed his/her face with two(!) punches.
They just killed an innocent citizen for some fuckin' low boots. Wow.

Well... I think I'd better not upset the boss in the future... :D
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Meta The Golem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21896 on: April 14, 2012, 01:44:49 pm »

random weregoat thing attacked then left... right before a human caravan came along  :-\

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21897 on: April 14, 2012, 01:52:37 pm »

my milita commander had a mood, BUT he made an awesome bed.
I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21898 on: April 14, 2012, 02:12:46 pm »

*Cue Ghostbusters joke*

Does that count as a bug?
I'd peg it more as an emergent feature... odd as it may be.

And the ghostbusters wouldn't last two seconds if they tried to take Kogan the Champion's child.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #21899 on: April 14, 2012, 06:31:44 pm »

Wonderful things have been happening!

Firstly, I've had a ton of artifacts in this two-year-old training fort. The latest addition is a vulture bone shile dby the name of "Rawnessmanors the Banded Combat." Worth 83640☼, invovling native gold and a bunch of other crap... Rare to have such an appropriate name for a weapon/piece of armor. The first artifact was a lead short sword. I only had a small selection of bars from the dwarven caravan that was parked in my depot, none of it blade-worthy, so I chose lead as the best possible blunt material, hoping for a hammer or crossbow or something. Free legendary weaponsmith, though! :D

The next wonderful thing that's been happening was the assault of a werewolf kobold thief on my depot. Worked perfectly as my modding was intended to. Werewolf kobold. Turned back into a kobold though and got chomped by my dogs. I don't have any other invaders to worry about besides kobolds, so I've been taking it slow and working on the fort itself. I hope they attack in force at some point.

I chose a decentralized design for the fort and it's just a big mess. Oh well!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 1458 1459 [1460] 1461 1462 ... 3842