Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1457 1458 [1459] 1460 1461 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108840 times)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #21870 on: April 13, 2012, 10:58:57 am »

Well.

Some casual digging to investigate a candy spire at the top level of the Magma Sea yielded the discovery that not only was it at breaching-depth, the actual minimum depth to breach the Circus started up around the third cavern layer somewhere.

Hell has managed to bushwack me with an honest surprise attack.

I may have savescummed, but I have plans for revenge.  Ones that aren't boardgame based, but should be thoroughly entertaining if they work/fail spectacularly, oh my yes...

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #21871 on: April 13, 2012, 11:23:15 am »

After completing the big project, invaders is on again and the elves are late.... I hope they didn't run into anything unpleasant, but 5 FB have already entered the area within a year.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21872 on: April 13, 2012, 11:33:10 am »

Hahha, good luck Aussieguy!

I just had 4/5 goblin ambushes. First surprised a woodcutter, a crossbowsquad led by an axegob. The guy had a lot of luck avoiding the quarrels, untill he got hit once and then chopped to bits. A second ambush had appeared at the same spot, being a single crossbowgob and I don't count that as an ambush.

Second ambush was spears led by a mace, they popped up nearby a carpenter who was gathering wood. They drove him into the river and murdered him. By that time my 10-kill steel axe-wielding mighty blablabla Militia Commander had arrived in group one, mercilessly wailing into them, driving them off or killing them in short order. Killed a fleeing goblin via a single decapitation.

Third ambush popped up near trade depot. Don't know what they were but they had a silver battle-axe armed General with them.

Dwarf caravan was there and made a mess worthy of Armok of the wankers.

Fourth ambush was more crossbows. They appeared close by the first ambush and near my waterfall. Because my MCom had moved on to ambush two, I sent my second melee-team (2 dwarfs, their third had died in an ambush the year previous) to deal with these crossbowgobs. Their shooting seemed poor so they should've had no trouble.

Silver bolts. Both (macedwarfs) died of headshots, goblins tried to cross the river but got sucked down by the waterfall. They only attempted it because I had opened a floodgate leading into a draining-labyrinth which I had opened in hopes of saving the carpenter.

My MCom had done away with most of the second ambush but is now wounded. Sprained an ankle or something. Splinter in his thumb, I don't know. His adept swordsdwarf teammate had been late but is now set near my 3 marksdwarves to engage the shooting goblins. If they weren't armed with crossbows, I'd withdraw and let them cross the trapped floor-bridge over the river. It has already claimed half a dozen goblins and it has a mate right behind it.

To tally;
 Woodcutter dead. He was the replacement woodcutter for the legendary who died in ambushes the year previous. My caverns are plantless so there's no safe woodcutting either.
 Carpenter dead. Not the really good one, I hope. I'm not sure.

2 Macedwarfs dead.

Bunch of gobboes massacred.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #21873 on: April 13, 2012, 12:13:21 pm »

Just got a giant sponge from the hippies when they came to trade. I'll throw it in a moat as soon as I make one. Or maybe in my cistern, to keep any undesirables that get in busy.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #21874 on: April 13, 2012, 12:45:40 pm »

appearantly, a group of naked mole dogs is trying to get into my fort. They appear at long intervals of one another, beeline to my underground entrance and.... Man, I never knew a weapons trap with large iron daggers would be that effective. One actually made it past and ran into a civilian. Who happens to be a more than legendary miner who simply put his pick through it's brain.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21875 on: April 13, 2012, 04:00:54 pm »

A wereskink showed up. Unfortunately, it was delayed by a giant snail, as I was hoping it'd attack the elf traders in my entrance. Oh well. Plans to use Giant Sponge as a cistern guard are underway.

EDIT: Sponge ended air-drowning when I dropped it in a square with only 2/7 water. I feel stupid now.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 04:08:49 pm by Deathsword »
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

masquerine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21876 on: April 13, 2012, 05:11:59 pm »

All in the span of about 30 seconds, the first major battle of this world (that I'm a part of). Siege parties and ambushers:
A dwarven caravan has arrived!
Tons of undead with hidden necromancers and a few visible warlocks with necromancer abilities, among other things like poison and gas attacks.
Two groups of white tigermen on mounts.
Four squads of goblins, two elite marksmen and two melee.
Two squads of minotaurs.
Four squads of War Elephants on mounts.
Someone brought a squad of harpies, not sure who.

The dwarven caravan lost it's guards but the wagons were able to flee the map intact, no free junk to clean up later. Goblins had the upper hand with the marksmen early, wiping row after row of undead with ease. Minotaurs got killed by the warlocks and resurrected. White tigermen were engaged by my forces and lost, and later were revived by the hidden necromancers. Somewhere in the chaos a few war elephants fell and got turned, who then killed and turned the rest of them. Harpy squad headed for my backup crossbow squad on the roof and got cut down. In the end, a massive undead army was all that remained with a few hidden necromancers. They shambled their way into the pitfall entrance, which revealed the necromancers. Bolts, battle axes and serrated glass discs cut the hoard down to size. So many bodies and parts.

What a fun siege and ambush party. I bet next year they'll double it :D 7 hostile Necromancer towers in this world and I'm in range of all of them. There's a few other civilizations that survived that I didn't meet yet, but should soon. Frost giants, nightwings and spider fiends.

The dead walk!
The dead walk!
The dead walk!
Curses! Ambush!
Yaaaaay! More friends!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 05:23:28 pm by masquerine »

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #21877 on: April 13, 2012, 05:21:46 pm »

Great! Gobbos now arrive moutned on fucking CAVE DRAGONS! RUUUUUUUN FOOLS!
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21878 on: April 13, 2012, 05:22:41 pm »

Decided to start a fort that will largely be above ground near a volcano (only bar/block stores and magma shops will be inside, and maybe a rocknut farm.) I've used DF hack to enable elven and human diplomats, with express intent of fucking up the elves' shit.

I'll report in when I succeed in pissing them off.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21879 on: April 13, 2012, 06:07:16 pm »

Lost another miner to magma. This one managed to run all the way to the food stockpile, missing the booze by a mere tile. This also means all his stuff is intact, even the clothes that for some reason did not ignite.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #21880 on: April 13, 2012, 06:32:41 pm »

Errr, what were they mounted on? Or is this a misphrase like "I shot an elephant in my pajamas"?
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21881 on: April 13, 2012, 06:36:45 pm »

He's at war with Babar's elephant kingdom. It's probably elephant soldiers mounted on more elephant soldiers. And, logically, a war elephant is the same as an elephant soldier.
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

masquerine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21882 on: April 13, 2012, 08:29:11 pm »

Errr, what were they mounted on? Or is this a misphrase like "I shot an elephant in my pajamas"?

These ones came mounted on GIANT SNAKES. Which are probably much smaller than the elephants. I'm not exactly sure how they manage it, but I'm not one to judge. If they want to ride GIANT SNAKES, they can ride GIANT SNAKES. The snakes tend to be more dangerous than the elephants, as often times they are highly poisonous. The elephants are just big, stupid and covered in armor. That's all, nothing TOO serious.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21883 on: April 13, 2012, 08:36:10 pm »

A giant bark scorpion riddeled with so many bolts only a couple legs aren't showing up red in the wound screen, just threw one of my War leopards most of the way across the map into the lake by it's fourth left front toe with it's left first leg.  It did this THREE TIMES (although admittedly grabbing other bodyparts).

The war leopard swam back to the shore without missing a beat and jumped back onto the scorpion biting and clawing each time.   I'm not quite sure how to imagine any of that.  My imagination appears to have failed me.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21884 on: April 13, 2012, 08:42:45 pm »

Lol that's awesome, telekinetic scorpions.... I it uses the wierding voice from dune =)

I just remembered why I don't rip off the dwarf merchants normally, now I have a wagon stuck in my depot area, and a ton of wood training junk that is clogging my stockpiles, ya i know i'll get to the stocks screen one day and dump it....
I voted for BANANA!
Pages: 1 ... 1457 1458 [1459] 1460 1461 ... 3842