Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1456 1457 [1458] 1459 1460 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6109020 times)

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #21855 on: April 12, 2012, 07:03:57 pm »

Quote from: wierd
The fortress doesn't have enough masons, or engravers either.

I turn on the masonry and engraving labors for virtually every migrant.

(Of course, this may have something to do with why so many of the artifacts I get from moods lately suck.)
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21856 on: April 12, 2012, 07:05:50 pm »

No migrants! :)  dwarves are nearly extinct in this word. I have 23 dwarves. The *only* source of more, is "the old fashioned way".

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #21857 on: April 12, 2012, 07:23:06 pm »

I've hit a pretty harrowing bump in the road. Goblin siege, bringing an elemental mage with them. He set the grass on fire, killing the vast majority of my militia in the blaze. I'm down to the ranger squads and about 10 total melee troops. Civilians are on red alert and ordered to remain inside the dining room. If the goblins make it into the fortress proper, it's game over.

An army of dingoes showed up to aid the goblins in pissing me off. They're marching right into the fortress.

edit;

The goblins were successfully routed because the crosswbowgob squad fled after the trolls got shot up by my own rangers.

I am now an skilled DF military strategist and adequate tactician. I used to be better with the tactics associated with deploying my militia, but giving all the races access to elemental mages and werewolves has me beat. I'll have to rethink my deployment tactics or suffer even more losses.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 07:30:32 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

talysman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21858 on: April 12, 2012, 07:57:21 pm »

I switched from my Suicide Falls fort to one of my other forts (Channeledvoices,) which includes a volcano that I partially floored over. Unlike the other fort that was limping along, I have 115+ dwarves in Channeledvoices. The main problem is making clothes fast enough to meet the demand.

One 1-year-old girl has been throwing multiple tantrums and punching varies adults. At first, all I could figure out as the cause was nakedness; there's been no dwarf deaths and food/booze is plentiful. But then I checked to see if she'd ever picked up clothes (yes) and noticed she was drowsy, but not going to her room; she had a "meeting" with the mayor and was sleeping in the doorway between the mayor's office and bedroom. Figured she must be stuck and this was part of what was causing the tantrums, so I deconstructed the door. She immediately left and her mood went from Miserable to Unhappy. A brief tantrum or two later, she's back to Content and everything is fine again.

kenpoaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21859 on: April 13, 2012, 12:18:16 am »

My fractal sponge fort has just reached level one of 4! (this doesn't sound like much, and it really isn't)

Level one is 3z of 81x81 squares of green glass. Level 2 will be when it hits 9z, level 3 at 27z, and level 4 at 81z's of delicious fractal glass fortress!

It takes 2-6 hours to complete 1z of the fort. If I average that to 4 hours per z, It will only take me 324 hours to complete this mega project! (That's 13.5 days straight, or at an 8 hour workday, 40.5 days (~6 weeks))
This forum is a bunch of nutters, and you couldn't point to anything to contradict it.

Cobaldunderpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21860 on: April 13, 2012, 03:15:25 am »

I have started a new fort on a volcano with flux and hematite. I hit the random on the fortress name and I got "Depthmetal." lm/ (-_\\) \ml

I have decided this is the greatest fort ever both in name and location. I will do all in my power to prevent it from becoming a :fun: spot.
"I'm sorry, so you want me to make your underpants out of cobalt or kobolds?"

"Eh, whatever"

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #21861 on: April 13, 2012, 03:16:14 am »

and what is your group called?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Aalto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21862 on: April 13, 2012, 03:23:36 am »

Why yes, he did just tear out the throat of a grizzly bear with one hand.

Himmelblau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21863 on: April 13, 2012, 03:26:29 am »

My current fort is doing fairly well. It's in its fourth year, and has seen only two deaths so far: an engraver who was unlucky enough to get heartshot in an ambush, and a carpenter who was found dead, completely drained of blood.

The drainer was my first vampire. The carpenter had been sleeping on a hospital bed, as I hadn't carved personal bedrooms for commoners yet. The sole eye witness was a ranger who had been fishing in the hospital well. He accused a non-suspicious-looking wax worker, who had migrated into the fort quite recently. The ranger held no grudge with the wax worker, so I thought I might as well believe the witness and convict the accused. The wax worker took 50 hammer strikes like a boss, thus revealing himself as the murderer. I gave him a bedroom and locked him up. Gotta figure out what to do with him later.

Only two deaths, but a few close calls. Two of my woodcutters were ambushed near the edge of the map, by a goblin axeman squad led by an archer. I reckoned the dwarves would be lost, and made no attempts to rescue them, just assigned civilians to the alert burrow inside. The archer miraculously missed his first shot at nigh point-blank range, and the woodcutters ran for their lives. I hadn't taken into account that the forest they were cutting down was very thick, and the dwarves soon lost eye contact to the ambushers. They stopped panicking, and calmly made their way to safety through the gates, where the ambushers were shot down.

The only non-lethal injury this far was caused by a tantrumming captain of the guard. He threw a barrel towards a craftsdwarf, smashing a leg. I was a little bit worried, as my medical team hadn't had any training, and their skills were quite rusty. However, the leg was diagnosed, cleaned, sutured, set and wrapped up in cloth and cast in less than a week. Now the craftsdwarf is happily limping around with a crutch in hand, his leg healing fast. No infection so far, even though the water used for cleaning was stagnant.

I've got a skilled and armoured military up and running, and the fort supports itself. Everybody's got a large number of friends though, so I'm expecting a spiral at the first sign of trouble. The site's low on ore, and the only income of good metal is goblinite and caravans.The last dwarven caravan was sadly ambushed and scared away, so no metal industry for a while. I haven't been besieged yet, and I'm trying my luck cutting wood and hauling goblinite from outside. Might start a megaproject of sorts sometime soon.
Dwarf Fortress- where a sudden mist that causes you to bleed from every orifice and drop dead is one of the better outcomes.

Cobaldunderpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21864 on: April 13, 2012, 03:29:09 am »

and what is your group called?
"The Helm of Disembowlers"
"I'm sorry, so you want me to make your underpants out of cobalt or kobolds?"

"Eh, whatever"

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21865 on: April 13, 2012, 05:38:58 am »

The forgotten beast Ukla has arrived! A great quadruped with two tails made of charcoal! Beware it's dangerous webs!

I give a kill order to the two resident axelords. A minute later, nothing... nothing... nothing. Check on axelords. They are drinking.... Thank armok for indestructible artefact buildings to keep the monster occupied. When they finally decided to get to action, their masterwork steel axes made short work of the beast.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21866 on: April 13, 2012, 05:57:36 am »

x6 necromancer siege.

The cistern for the magma cannon is almost full.  It won't be long, urists.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21867 on: April 13, 2012, 07:40:33 am »

Have fun. !!fun!!.

Anyway. Kobold just showed up. Spotted by fish cleaner who was part of my marksdwarves. I give marksdwarves kill order, resume game. Slash, marksdwarf dead. Head fucking cleft in twain by an iron dagger. You gon' die, ya little shite.

edit: Fililishlingus Shilrarzeg (tuliptattoos). I may have witnessed the birth of the Kobold murderer. Which could actually be kinda cool, but more apt for goblins. Just a goblin who sneaks in and tries to murder your nobles/legendaries/militia.

edit2: evil little shite escaped. Was only a short distance to map-edge.

edit3: I seem to have 41 cave croc hatchlings. It's too much damn bother to pick out the best, biggest and strongest for a breeding programme, so I'll just stuff all of them in a cage when they're old enough and rig it to a lever in case of goblin ambush. See if they can handle damn near 50 war cave crocs.

Do creatures grow up while in cages or is it a total stasis kind of thing?

edit4: oooh, 53 more eggs in the nest box. I was gonna place two more but that means opening the room to let the hatchlings flood out. :P
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 07:47:50 am by AWdeV »
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21868 on: April 13, 2012, 07:56:21 am »

yes they grow up in cages

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21869 on: April 13, 2012, 08:28:17 am »

Kickass.

Ofcourse I already forgot having asked this question so I just dug out a huge room to pasture the things in. :P Probably easier to train them when they've grown up.

Just had an awesome mood. A gold anvil. Alas, a possesion, but still sweet. Slightly hax-y but I'll post it in the best artifact thread.

edit: There used to be two giant sponges on the map. Now there's one. The first one died without me noticing for a fair while but I thought the filling of my hospital basin was responsible.

I then located another and dug a tunnel system linked to the river via floodgate. It worked marvellously; it pulled the sponge in, I closed it and the sponge was left on 1/7 water where it drowned. It weighs 468 and doesn't seem to be butcherable.

edit2: also, my expedition leader got assaulted by Troglodytes in the cavern. He got rather beat up and became unhappy but managed to escape by heading for the exit/entrance just as my shooty militia came out. They and a melee militia then mopped up all troglo's; the marksdwarves pinned the troglodytes and the melee MCap brained them one by one with his black bronze mace.  Expedition leader was back up to static before he even reached hospital. His lover is CMD but I don't expect her to do any doctoring soon.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 09:33:10 am by AWdeV »
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Pages: 1 ... 1456 1457 [1458] 1459 1460 ... 3842