Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1450 1451 [1452] 1453 1454 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108808 times)

Old Greg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was evitable.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #21765 on: April 08, 2012, 10:12:59 pm »

Got sieged today, and realized I hadn't done a really large, long-term fort since before burrows - back in the day when you could order everyone inside from the orders menu.

That didn't work too well :P Figured it out after the fact...

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21766 on: April 09, 2012, 09:47:08 am »

A child went secretive and made a dog bone war hammer.
It now belongs to my hammerer.

I made a small silk farm, but the troll in it kept scaring everyone away. I had to draft a metalcrafter who happens to be a skilled marksdwarf to do the dirty work. On the plus side, I have a crapton of silk now.

Then an ice spider FB appeared. I thought it would be easy, but it webbed and killed most of my military. Then it went upstairs and repeatedly webbed EVERYTHING.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 10:26:41 am by jaxy15 »
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21767 on: April 09, 2012, 10:13:56 am »

I seem to have kobold thieves secreted away in all the dark corners of my fortress.  Probably got in while I was replacing a siege killed guard dog.  But now every few months a kobold shows up inside the fortress, some worker gets a minor stab wound and a kobold gets disassembled into it's component parts.

This one made an odd combat log though...  "The Peasant grabs The Kobold Thief by the tongue with his left wing!"

How would that even work?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21768 on: April 09, 2012, 10:40:13 am »

I had to abandon my fort and start anew. Luckily the militia commander made it alive. I expect to see him migrate into the fort soon.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21769 on: April 09, 2012, 10:48:05 am »

Another FB just appeared, Quelge, among a bushel of crundles. Except it's not there. Nor in the u-menu. And it must have been really fast to suddenly fly into uncharted territory.

Edit; ah, it appeared a bit later. Maybe like how migrants sometimes get clogged behind a trader, Quelge got stuck behind crundles.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 10:56:17 am by FrisianDude »
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21770 on: April 09, 2012, 04:00:12 pm »

A mother of 3 with no skills at all just showed up.

Time to kill her children in front of her to make her not care about anything.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21771 on: April 09, 2012, 04:04:20 pm »

After reading about how loudwhispers sometimes makes forts in places with no ore or flux, I have decided to do the same thing, in the Fort Defense mod, of course.
Shit! He's flatlining! Quick, get the Doctor in!

Doctor: Nah, I'm on break.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21772 on: April 09, 2012, 04:39:14 pm »

I noticed I had green tree frog men. Obviously, I mobilised my one-dwarf militia. Armed with exceptional training axe, well-crafted iron chain leggings and a bismuth bronze shield (bought the armour bits) I sent him out to clobber the frog folk. I had forgotten I don't have a metal axe for him yet.

The three tree frog fellows fled, revealing a solitary kobold. First kobold I had seen so far, although I did already know their civ-name. Odd.

This kobold was standing right in front, in punching range of my dwarf. I hope he won't stab my dwarf but as it stands I'm fairly certain Grologokonkis won't even try once because he's stunned and getting clobbered. I almost feel sorry for the little fetcher.

edit: fiddlesticks. Little wanker escaped, thanks to his brown recluse spider silk stuff (especially the cloak I modded in for the ungrateful bastards) but not before shivving my dwarf warrior so hard it fractured the right false rib(s).

Impromptu emergency hospital, go!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 04:45:10 pm by AWdeV »
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21773 on: April 09, 2012, 05:06:40 pm »

Started my first Fortress on an entirely evil biome map.  Wormy tendrils, eyeballs, Glumprongs, the whole deal.

Just got my first siege.  16 goblins.  And they're just standing there, doing absolutely nothing.  I have two paths down to the fort, and both the migrants and caravans have made it inside just fine.

But the goblins are just milling around for no apparent reason, chillaxing with the wormy tendrils, doing nothing remotely siege-like. :(  So much for "evil".

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21774 on: April 09, 2012, 05:19:23 pm »

The fort of Fatedcraft continues its mission to boldly go nowhere.

With the fort's wealth increasing, mostly thanks to a number of moody dwarves making artifacts, the militia have begun to strike goblinite clusters. The first siege of mostly pikegoblins was shown how to use the pointy sticks properly by my Legendary Speardwarves, whilst the second group - who had the sense to bring Trolls and a couple of Elite Marksgoblin leaders - routed fairly convincingly off the map after they had to fight through a hail of bolts before reaching my two angry dwarven Spearmasters.

There's an interesting little story developing here too - it seems, checking the personality screens of my two brought-at-embark-and-training-ever-since Speardwarves, they appear to be training in more than just combat - they also appear to be lovers! This has the potential to become a great epic tale, y'know, boy meets girl, boy and girl train as professional killers, boy is brutally slaughtered by besieging monsters, girl goes on epic quest to slay every goblin in the world... although there may be an alternate ending involving tantrums, berserking, and a lot of dwarven deaths.

As a precautionary measure I'm building up an additional military presence, although it'll take them a while to reach the high skill levels they'll need to survive whilst somewhat undergeared.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21775 on: April 09, 2012, 05:21:00 pm »

Just got a HM metalcrafter who likes gold. And goblets.

Hmm, now what to do with him... :P

Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

talysman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21776 on: April 09, 2012, 08:09:14 pm »

My fortress next to what I'm now calling "Suicide Falls" is still limping along after two years. No migrants arrived in Year 2, what with all the lemming-like deaths after the first caravan's arrival. Two babies were born, but as yet, they're still useless. So I'm still stuck with five adults who have to do all the work. I keep making lavish meals and brewing booze, just to avoid wasting anything, but they have way more of both than they really need.

Because of the overwork, they weren't able to encrust many crafts, so my sales to the elves and to the second dwarf caravan were pretty low. Hopefully, this last caravan will report back that there's a huge number of rooms and workshops and even a little well hovering on a platform above the river, so migrants will start showing up again.

I'm worried about the latest ghost, though. An axedwarf guard from the suicidal caravan rose, and I can't seem to carve a memorial for him, although I was able to memorialize the merchants.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21777 on: April 09, 2012, 08:52:36 pm »

BunnyBunches the Rabbit-Hut

01) Embark
02) 6 Flavors of Hell
03) But mostly he just raged
04) Water Water ... Is it safe to drink ??
05) Risk vs Reward vs Frustrating Dwarves

I was extremely lucky with the drinks.
A series of fortuante events allowed my dwarves to drink from a top-side brook.

No undead interference. No ash interference.
And the ash from chapter 2 seems to have no ill effect on the brook besides the visual scare.

I received a revelation now; it is only a matter of time before I start losing the top-side to husk+wildlife.
1) Something dies top-side
2) It eventually raises as undead
3) It hangs around top-side, refusing to leave
4) It will eventually get covered in contagious ash

So I have my immediate primary goals all laid out for me.
A) Plant every seed I got and prep multiple brewery's
B) Make stone pots after the seeds are planted

My immediate secondary goals also have formed.
C) Free up the miners to dig immigrant routes to the 4 corners of the map.
D) Try to start walling up pasture space while the outside is still tame
E) Sneak a garbage compactor in there

The flooding of the farm is going, well, about as good as a flood can go grr
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Eventually it allows plottable rocksoil.
I even call off my militia (inactivate the squad) to help speed up the planting.

When I deactivate them, some complain about being relieved of duty...
Thankfully, they're still roughly content to fine.

Given the choice, they all choose to plant the longest-growing sweet-pods first...
Need to micromanage to fix that. I need Plump Helmets and Pig Tails asap because they grow to brew faster.

Unbelievable. The dwarves just drank less than two weeks ago from the water source, and now they're thirsty again.
I guess the civilians are the ones who've had more time since thirst.
Did the latest patch make dwarves drink more ??

I act decisively.
My farm has a floodgate to stop the water. Some of the water is still puddled up behind it.
Stagnant of course, but it's still water.

On second thought, I just let them sneak out that way to the brook again.
It still looks safe. There is one skunk on the map, and no ash yet.

Yep, it's the civilians group that is thirsty again.

Here's the layout of the general area that I've been lucky with.

The skunk moves close to the south edge of the map.
If he leaves, I'm sure bloodthirsty abominations will replace him as my next "wildlife".
But thankfully, he turns sideways, and doesn't want to leave yet.

Finally, the civilian group is done with their second brook run to drink.
They hurry back inside so I can once again lock us off from the outside world.

And now a militia goes out to drink.
Well at least I don't need to worry aboue cave adaptation yet.

!! Migrants !!
They arrive on the evil side of the map.
I'm hella lucky all I have is a little living skunk d-----g around on my map.

Anything semi-sinister and my surface would be covered in dozens of undead-piece ash-spawns.
But I won't take this for granted. This luck will spawn a wondrous Rabbit-Hut... If I don't kill my dwarves first.
At least they brought a bunny and a puppy along with their charge into the Terrifying Dead Zone.

Congratulations, Migrants.
You all are now labelled as growers and brewers and stone crafters and masons, irregardless of your stats.
Now stop going outside !!

Wow. I'm in just as bad a mood now as I was at the end of last chapter...

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21778 on: April 09, 2012, 09:31:30 pm »

I stripped the entire 3x3 embark of its trees. Luremachines now has nearly 900 logs, filling up almost the entire upper right-hand quarter of the surface level of Luremachines that is walled in (31x31 stockpile). The founding dwarves' clothing is beginning to wear, so I shall drown the elves again this year and use their rope reed fiber cloth to create new clothing. The dining hall is being furnished, which is good - I'm going to make way more than necessary because I Do That, then deactivate masonry on all but the highest level dwarf and make a few statues.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21779 on: April 09, 2012, 09:44:16 pm »

Machineshoots suffers from multiple births, a shortage of plump helmet spawn, and a small siege of dark stranglers with a named fighting camel. All my squads are moving to engage, and if all goes well, I won't even need to button up.

EDIT I: The camel seems to have opted for staying out of the fight, showing greater intelligence than it's caretakers.

Col. Dobar led the small army of machineshoots, 16 dwarves strong, to face the numerically superior aggressors. The first casualties were two stranglers, one who lost the use of it's legs to a well aimed mace strike to the back and another who was nearly rent in twain by the Colonel's steel chainsword. The sound of his shouting and his chainsword being the first to roar to life marked the true start of the battle. Thus far, none have died, but all of the blood and limbs flying are not of dwarven origin, nor are any of the numerous shattered bones.

Sawtooth, pike, hammer, and mace have met feeble flesh and fur, hide and fang.

We shall prevail. Gomath Noblemassive the Routed Spike wills it so.

EDIT II: One of the chainsword dwarves lost his ability to grasp in his left hand, wether it's permanent or not I can't tell yet. But he still has his scutum and has smashed in a strangler's skull with it. Numerous stranglers now lay dead on the alunite road of Machineshoots, and several take flight, with Stukos Sectflag the macedwarf brandishing his silver mace menacingly as four try to flee by, one not long for this world thanks to numerous open blood vessles he himself inflicted. Three stranglers have been abandoned by thier fellows, two near death and the other short and hand and crippled, slowly dragging itself to the only way back up the mountainside with no dwarves in the way. I do admit I fear ofr Stukos should he meet that camel mid stride up the ramp in his pursuit; he is alson as the other polish of the abandoned stranglers.

It is clear who was the fated victor here. Gomath Noblemassive the Routed Spike* has willed it to be so.

*Gomath is the deity of victory, war, and fortresses in this world. And he has blessed my dwarves with only a hand and foot injury so far.

EDIT III: Victory came at only a small price of dwarven blood. none were slain, and it seems the worst injuries sustained can heal on thier own, though I do fear infection as I haven't made any soap yet. Oh, and evidently dark strnaglers count as wild animals or ar ebeing interred in my mosoleum as a matter of respect, cause I swear I saw my butcher hauling a body inside.
Pages: 1 ... 1450 1451 [1452] 1453 1454 ... 3842