Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1449 1450 [1451] 1452 1453 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108824 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #21750 on: April 08, 2012, 02:10:55 pm »

My fort experienced it's first siege. Went swimmingly, compared to some I've had to mop up after. Only one goblin platoon, lead by a hammerlord on a giant olm, the rest being spearmen. They wandered lazily in the direction of one of the walls, so I stationed the ranger squads up there, and sure enough they pincushioned the lot of 'em. About 3-4 actually died there where the marksdwarves caught them, the leader took no damage but his olm carried him to the map's edge in retreat due to some minor damage. Sicne the leader didn't give the order to retreat himself, the five uninjured goblin troops left over hovered there where they last saw their leader for about a week, until I had sufficiently gathered my troops near their position and ordered them to charge. The fight was swift, the marksdwarves getting a few potshots in before the melee closed. In the end all five remaining goblins were slaughtered, and only one dwarf lost their life on the field in that melee. I can only hope not too many of the others liked the guy.

The soldiers took a hell of a beating, though, because they are poorly trained and under-equipped. I only have copper available to produce shields and bolts at the moment, but steel gear is in the making. Need some silver for blunt weapons, though I suppose copper is a suitable substitute at the moment...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Daveorock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21751 on: April 08, 2012, 02:14:43 pm »

I just scouted out a location for my next fort. It has over 300,000 gold (and other metals, though it is lacking coal), and a staggering 13,000+ light yellow diamonds. I SHALL ENCRUST EVERYTHING WITH DIAMONDS.
Twenty seconds after the collapse, 14 dwarves hit the ground simultaneously.
EDIT: make that 15. Not sure what took that last one so long.
Urist McLemming cancels Fall: Dangerous Terrain

Wolock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21752 on: April 08, 2012, 02:41:41 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sorry, can't resist...

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21753 on: April 08, 2012, 02:43:01 pm »

New fort. I picked a place with shallow metals and deep metals. Hoping to see some natural iron for once. Very few trees in the area, so I'll have to rely on the magma smelters. I found just enough rock to tunnel below the aquifer with at the edge of the map on the side of a river. I anticipate fun if I do exploratory mining in the upper layers.

Having some minor trouble making bone greaves. I have two stacks of bone with plenty in them. From what I can tell, the stack gets brought to the workshop, but then the worker suddenly decides that he can't make the greaves. Don't know why.

My most unhappy dorf is also my militia commander and axedorf. I'm going to see if I can make his room nicer or give the position to the other axedorf.

Just had a caravan come by. Gave them a 50%+ profit. Greedy bastards... No wood for bins, so there was a lot of hauling for all my mugs. So many mugs.
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

masquerine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21754 on: April 08, 2012, 03:45:57 pm »

I have four megabeasts in the same cavern layer and three in another. I just dealt with a forest titan on the topside. It was a towering feathered hornbill with poisonous secretions. It was taken out without incident - every single attack it did missed and nobody was infected or anything. It basically flew to a nearby roof, took a bolt to the lung and a few spears to the face and legs.
First three were fought together, then Ulum and Fanet. Noc and Hura were hiding and engaged when most of the army was heading for food.
First cavern:

Second cavern:

I have 16 spears, 6 battle axes, 6 warhammers and 20 crossbows at my command. Anyone else in the fort is basically unskilled. The military is mostly between skilled and professional (level 4-9). A number of war beasts can aid in the fight (giant bobcats, drakes, giant cheetahs and giant lions). Nothing can be more glorious than death by combat!

To below: The war drake is like your dragon-related type of drake. Copper scales and the like. As fearsome as a war duck would be my dwarves are not worthy enough to tame such a majestic creature. They'll settle for wanna-be dragons.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 07:47:07 pm by masquerine »

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #21755 on: April 08, 2012, 03:47:39 pm »

War drake? Isnt that just a duck?
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21756 on: April 08, 2012, 03:48:18 pm »

Sector four's floor is complete.  Creating perimeter boundings for the other 3 sectors of the ground level. Turned up rate of babymaking.

crazyjake56

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21757 on: April 08, 2012, 03:56:08 pm »

My miner dug out what will soon be some thief traps and a dodge me trap and is finishing up the housing and workshop are while my builders are starting the beginnings of the outer wall. I'm hoping this one's a successful fort. I somehow doubt it though.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21758 on: April 08, 2012, 05:50:20 pm »

My vampire has been made into a count. Just to get the most out of his skills he is also the bookkeeper.
One! One plump helmet roast! AHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Four pages too late, but this put me in a good mood.
Reminded me of this
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 07:54:59 pm by ZzarkLinux »

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21759 on: April 08, 2012, 07:46:53 pm »

BunnyBunches the Rabbit-Hut

01) Embark
02) 6 Flavors of Hell
03) But mostly he just raged
04) Water Water ... Is it safe to drink ??

We just finished stripping the Yaks down to their bare bones.
Food is no problem.

Booze, on the other hand, is a problem.
I embarked with 6 of each booze.
I don't know how in Rabbit-Hut hell that is all gone, but it is.
Some dwarves are showing thirsty, and this needs to be fixed.

Miners clear away a farm zone.
I plan to drain a murky pool to start my farm.
I make the standard mechanisms and floodgate, and also add a floor grate just because.
Start draining the murky pool now.

Turns out the pool is big, and I'm slow to close the flow.
The area is flooding, and I can't drop a farm plot yet.
Dwarves are trying unsuccessfully to drink from the flow.

Emergency measures need to be taken.
I take a quick glance outside.
Thankfully, only a living kestrel is flying outside.
Oh am I glad it's not a giant flying great horned owl corpse.

I'm gonna chance it and make a run for the brook.
It doesn't have stagnant water, but an ash cloud did re-color my brook back in chapter 2.
Hope it's safe.

I finally assign that copper axe and a woodcutter to fell our way outta here.

The buns wish me luck.
The undead Yak parts taunt me from their chambers, silently wooshing that every dwarf dehydrate a miserable death.

The 4 civilians go out first.
The kestrel is flying on the other part of my map.
Away from the brook and away from the bunnies.
Man, they take a while to drink.

The militia goes out to drink afterwards.
Still, the Kestral is good and flying on the other side of the map.

My luck eventually starts to run thin.
The Kestral is coming back and some ash has appeared !!
If it hits that Kestral I may be in for some fort-ending Fun !!!

Thankfully the ash doesn't go anywhere important.
But that kestral flies off the map.
Now, again, I'm terrified, because likely some ravenous undead will swarm in to replace the Kestral.
My heart skips beats, waiting for the next undead to appear as my Axedwarf makes his way back to the fort.

And the next crazy appears. It's a ... living skunk
Guess I'm lucky again. Even though my embark is 8/9 terrifying squares, only about 60% of my map edge is terrifying.

And I get the summer message. Whoop-de-do.

Okay. I gotta de-stress now. I was hella lucky.

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21760 on: April 08, 2012, 08:02:02 pm »

In my Fort Defense Fort, I've just gotten a migrant wave, including a weaver that happened to be a competent hammerdwarf, a thresher that was probabably a wrestler for a very short duration, likely during a desperate siege (He has the skills, but they're all dabbling), and a fisherdwarf who is also a competent Macedwarf.
Shit! He's flatlining! Quick, get the Doctor in!

Doctor: Nah, I'm on break.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #21761 on: April 08, 2012, 08:12:35 pm »

After a few migrant waves with only two migrants each I got a massive set of 26 migrants in one wave.  I suspect Vampires to be among them; I plan to round them up, defile my water supply with Vampire blood, cut off the booze to a certain area of the fortress and have a situation where my entire military is made of Vampire warriors, to take advantage of their physical strengths and no need for food, drink, or sleep.  The rest of my people are going to be regular old Dwarves, so they can take advantage of the happiness/production bonuses from booze.  Goblins are going to wish they never came close to my fort once I'm through... muuahahahahaha....  Vampirism is Armok's gift to us, to allow us to become true agents of Blood and Chaos.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21762 on: April 08, 2012, 08:18:01 pm »

I see but one dillema to this plan. How will you prevent the vampire soldiers from killing important figures, such as their local legendary weaponsmith or talanted Farmers? You don't need to protect the entire populace, since depending on your fort size, could be anything from difficult to impossible, but you need to prevent them from crippling your food supply or inadvertably prevent their usefulness on the battlefield.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 08:20:35 pm by Orky_Boss »
Shit! He's flatlining! Quick, get the Doctor in!

Doctor: Nah, I'm on break.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21763 on: April 08, 2012, 08:39:15 pm »

After a few migrant waves with only two migrants each I got a massive set of 26 migrants in one wave.  I suspect Vampires to be among them; I plan to round them up, defile my water supply with Vampire blood, cut off the booze to a certain area of the fortress and have a situation where my entire military is made of Vampire warriors, to take advantage of their physical strengths and no need for food, drink, or sleep.  The rest of my people are going to be regular old Dwarves, so they can take advantage of the happiness/production bonuses from booze.  Goblins are going to wish they never came close to my fort once I'm through... muuahahahahaha....  Vampirism is Armok's gift to us, to allow us to become true agents of Blood and Chaos.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!
Vampires become unusable because they need booze but can't drink it, you either need to mod vampirism to remove alcohol dependence or make dwarf  blood into alcohol both ideas have been found successful.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #21764 on: April 08, 2012, 09:51:56 pm »

hmm... I suppose you're right.  I thought that the issue with them taking longer, more frequent breaks and working slower as a result of alcohol dependency wouldn't matter if I made them soldiers; active military Dwarves do not take breaks.  And as a bonus, I can set the whole squad to train for the entire year without worrying about them wearing themselves out.  As for keeping them separate from my populace I drafted a design for a 'Vampire Tower' in which I keep my Vampiric warriors.  As they only seem to drain peoples blood if they catch them asleep, I could probably prevent them from getting that far with a simple locked door -- which isn't too hard since the tower is to be built isolated from the rest of the fortress.  I keep a small chamber past the front door where I put weapons, armor, and other supplies for them, keeping the interior doors locked so they won't rush out in a blood frenzy and hunt down the nearest sleeper.  When inactive I simply keep them locked in their barracks, which is loaded with my most valuable engravings and items, because they can't get happy thoughts from drinking, eating or sleeping in a bedroom.  This makes for a very tenuous balance of happiness in which you must keep your Vampires appeased or they'll tantrum, break their doors down and escape.

They train year in, year out -- I could drop unarmed prisoners and other animals down from 1 level above for them to practice on with training weapons if necessary.  When the need for action arises I lock the rest of my fort down, sit on my battlements eating popcorn as my Unholy Legion rushes out the doors and mercilessly slaughters Goblins.  The only problem I can see is if one of my warriors is wounded; I would need to promptly treat them in a hospital.  Perhaps I could also have a master Vampire doctor for this purpose, though it might be more efficient for a regular Dwarf to perform such a task.  As long as the Vampires can't reach your Dwarves while they are asleep, and if you can somehow manage to keep them happy enough (Mist is good) to avoid going on a berserk killing spree throughout your fort, this strat should work.

NOTE: I haven't actually tested this yet this is all preliminary speculation.  Turns out every damn one of those migrants I got was mortal.  Useless meatbags.  The second I get a Vampire I'm creating that Unholy Legion though.  They should be soooooo much more effective than regular soldiers.  I'm gonna ask the Elves for some Silver Bulb so I can make black dye, put black cloaks and stuff on all my warriors.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 10:08:35 pm by Xvareon »
Pages: 1 ... 1449 1450 [1451] 1452 1453 ... 3842