Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1448 1449 [1450] 1451 1452 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108764 times)

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #21735 on: April 08, 2012, 08:12:55 am »

I have decided to make a Dwarf Fort in the Fort Defense mod, and the first thing I see is that lakes and rivers now have downward slopes, but no upward.

Also, it seems the Wiki doesn't have a page concerning the Fort Defense mod, and neither dwarf Therapist nor Runesmith work for it. And I am now forced to learn to play with the ASCII graphics...

I am truly fighting blind here.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 08:21:22 am by Orky_Boss »
Shit! He's flatlining! Quick, get the Doctor in!

Doctor: Nah, I'm on break.

Wolock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21736 on: April 08, 2012, 08:41:57 am »

Got the migrant wave of spring. 25 migrant of which only the master weaponsmith is useful and the two great farmers aren't useless. I'll use some of the migrants to start the clothing industry and I've drafted my legendary miners into the militia.

Also Goldenaxes got his first artifact : Sanusminbaz "The Auburn Enchantment" A water buffalo bone door encrusted with marquise cut lavender jade and band of water buffalo bones and turkey bones and with spike of turkey bones.

Maybe I'll use it for a tomb or something like that.

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #21737 on: April 08, 2012, 08:53:44 am »

I have decided to make a Dwarf Fort in the Fort Defense mod, and the first thing I see is that lakes and rivers now have downward slopes, but no upward.

Also, it seems the Wiki doesn't have a page concerning the Fort Defense mod, and neither dwarf Therapist nor Runesmith work for it. And I am now forced to learn to play with the ASCII graphics...

I am truly fighting blind here.
ASCII > your silly graphic sets
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21738 on: April 08, 2012, 09:13:11 am »

That's neither here nor there. Let's not get elitist.

Stil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21739 on: April 08, 2012, 09:37:19 am »

Fresh embark is a dream, large desert basin surrounded by iron bearing mountains on three sides, small brook in the side that's flat.

Digging down I found two magmapipes nearly touching one another in the caverns. I also have snakes!

Time to glass it up :)
"This in particular, simply because it's so siggable." Ironyowl

Elanorea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21740 on: April 08, 2012, 09:58:36 am »

Situation: 9 dwarves, 4 of them children. No military. 25 zombies waiting outside.

Trying to bait some zombies into our traps so we can clear up the surface a little, I send a farmer outside with the task to chop some wood (intending to cancel the job as soon as he gets spotted by a zombie). Farmer is seen by undead dwarf, starts running back toward the fortress. So far, so good. Just to be sure, I activate the civilian alert to restrict everyone to a burrow. Farmer has reached the staircase leading down into the fort. What does he do?

a) run down the stairs and towards the burrow he was assigned to, leading the zombie through a hallway lined with +large, serrated green glass disc+s
b) run past the stairs, away from the fortress, and get promptly slaughtered by the zombie who will then return to where it was previously standing and continue to ignore us

If you chose option b, congratulations!

*RAGE*
*savescum*

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21741 on: April 08, 2012, 10:09:14 am »

Yet another new fort;

The aquifer (being only a single z-level deep) is breached by late autumn, farming is set up both above and below ground, the magma sea is located and preliminary mining / smelting operations are being set up.

As always I bring a pair of military-focused dwarves at embark, who will train to an appropriate level of skill to deal with the assorted hostile creatures (ie. everything non-dwarven) - this time I've chosen to use Speardwarves.

Late winter in the first year, a Metalsmith migrant goes moody - forcing me to build a forge early. After slaughtering some livestock to meet his material requirements, I'm greeted with the announcement...

"...has created Astisromlam Shashdonottem (*), a silver spear!"

(* in human: Dunecloak the Maroon Sanctum)

I think my militia commander is about to get a weapon upgrade, and my now-legendary Weaponsmith is likely to get dibs on the first bedroom.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #21742 on: April 08, 2012, 10:57:55 am »

The inevitable inevitably happened!

Since I modded in werewolves, battlemages, priests, and druids into the populations of the civilized races, giving goblins high cahnces of having werewolves and battlemages, I have been assualted by a battlemage master thief who flung fireballs at dwarves, cahsing thm until he legitimately lost sight of them, lighting the map on fire in the process, and then by werewolf ambushers. The ambushers were pretty sad, though, and mostly got caught in the cage traps and shot up by my rangers, with the exception of the human overseer leading one sqaud who shot back and badly injured one of the ranger captains. Hopefully not fatally...

I've locked down the fortress for now, considering how pathetic my military actually is with no armor or decent weaponry. The forges aren't pumping out steel gear at the desired rate. Time to double the number of 'em!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Wolock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21743 on: April 08, 2012, 11:18:30 am »

Autumn had brings lots of thing for Goldenaxes. First, a mason was possessed and produce a new artifact. It's a microcline weapon rack with an image of a book and of two millstones.

A human was announced and soon he discovered a goblin ambush (1 squad of hammer) before retreating. Everybody got inside safely and I rise the drawbridge and the goblin squad waited at the front door. Two of them got smashed in the stone traps. I constructed a second line of stone traps in the depot with my squad of 5 recruits axedwarves and another one with my two legendary miners behind the traps. They were equipped only with bronze breastplates, helms and greaves, the miners had shields too.

The goal was to attract the 3 remaining goblins in the depot but my recruits charged them. Only one was injured (multiple fractures) while the miners came to the rescue. I sent the recruits squad back to the barrack and stationed the miners squad in front. At that time the commander decided it's was a good time to sleep. Another squad of goblins ( with crossbow) was spotted and the lone miner quickly charged and dispatched the squad only taking one shot point-blank in the mouth and losing 6 teeth.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #21744 on: April 08, 2012, 12:03:07 pm »

I'd built the fort entrance into a narrow defile, and built a defensive wall so anything coming at me had to go through a 4-tile wide entrance with war dogs nearby. I neglected to consider aerial assault.

Cue my expedition leader/architect/broker/bookkeeper out for a stroll when a giant kea decided it liked his pig tail fiber hood. It proceeded to steal the hood...by biting his head off.  :o

The rest of the kea flock proceeded to strip his body and fly away. Cue Operation Build-A-F**king-Roof-Over-The-Entry-Keep.

EDIT: So....the exploratory shaft I'd sunk quite some distance from my fort has started spewing out giant cave swallows and troglodytes. I have essentially no military yet, so I made a poor fishery worker my militia commander (it's a waterless tundra map, so she was deemed the most expendable). I added a couple of legendary miners to her squad, but she charged in without them and raced down the shaft to rescue a hapless farmer who had decided to go fetch rocks for some reason.

Although unskilled at wrestling, unarmed and unarmored, and lacking any strength trait...she proceeded to do this:

The militia commander bites The Troglodyte in the tongue, tearing the left cheek's skin!
The militia commander latches on firmly!
The militia commander shakes The Troglodyte around by the tongue and the severed part sails off in an arc!
The tongue is ripped away and remains in The militia commander's grip!

Said dwarf has now received the nickname "Hardcore".  :o

Oh, and the troglodyte was female too. WORST LESBIAN KISS EVER.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 12:29:28 pm by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21745 on: April 08, 2012, 01:16:50 pm »

Decided to cheat with dfhack.
Revealed the map; discovered there are caverns and magma, I just missed them all digging a straight shaft down the centre of the map.
Also did some prospecting; only three ores: tetrahedrite, sphalerite, and hematite. There is some layers of marble, so there is flux for steel making.
Most abundant gem is rock crystal, but there is no sand.
Fire clay for pottery, feather wood for carpentry, and sun berries for booze.

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21746 on: April 08, 2012, 01:18:21 pm »

Proceeding with my fort's design, I installed a Dwarven Bathtub at the entrance to my fort to stop my dwarves splattering kobold and goblin blood over my carefully-selected building materials... well, ok, to stop them splattering quite as much then. (My militia have in the past had contests to see who can repaint the barracks the most effectively with the blood of a single troll. Noone was declared a winner, but the troll definitely lost)

It wasn't until I saw the message 'Winter is upon you' appear that I remembered that despite the fact that I'm pretty sure this is meant to be a Warm biome, it freezes in Winter - and I had a steady swarm of dwarves heading in and out.

Thanks to the quick reaction of my Masonry squad, no lives were lost - although the last slab went into place just as the freeze hit, making this a pretty close call.

A new subterranean bathtub is currently undergoing construction to replace the ice sheet.

Wolock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21747 on: April 08, 2012, 02:01:11 pm »

News from Goldenaxes :

- The first layer of caverns was reached shortly after the ambush. Laying at level -18, complete with gold veins and a magma pipe. The magma sea is only 20 level under.

- My squads are still training and now they're fully equipped. I've gave swords to the miners so they will eventually become lords and stop complaining about being drafted and on duty. The injured recruit is still at the hospital though and nearly healed but with a bad case of infection.

- The caravan from the moutainhome arrived with not much except booze and some iron/steel/pig iron but I need more than that for my military.

- The kobolds has launched an ambush and a woodworker was killed. A hunter fend off the kobolds with his crossbow long enough for my axedwarves to arrive and get some live training. 4 other thieves were spotted, but fled.

- The population is soaring with the spring migration (33) and the baby boom (10 in six months). Goldenaxes is short of one dwarf to get a population of 100. At least I'll have enough manpower to enclose the magma pipe.

- Third and fourth artifact : A chert earring and a carnelian ring

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21748 on: April 08, 2012, 02:05:55 pm »

A were-loris stopped by Mirroredcover and attacked a thripman.
A gem setter went secretive and built a schorl statue of one of the founders moving in to Mirroredcover.

EDIT: just noticed a six year old child was unhappy, so I looked at her thoughts. Oh god, the bruises! Her entire body was just covered with bruises. What do her thoughts say? Been to the fine trade depot, talked to her mother, had a nice bath, drinking the same old booze, caught in a snow storm, caught in freakish weather. Hmm, I guess the abhorrent slush that falls from the sky might not be so benign.
She is the daughter of the chief medical dwarf and he has already checked her out; no treatment is pending.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 02:20:10 pm by McDwarf »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21749 on: April 08, 2012, 02:06:56 pm »

Thousands of units of andesite are being deployed to create sector 4 of the ground level of the great arcology.

Progress is painfully slow with 22 dwarves....
Pages: 1 ... 1448 1449 [1450] 1451 1452 ... 3842