Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1447 1448 [1449] 1450 1451 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108766 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #21720 on: April 08, 2012, 04:37:39 am »

Magma Crabs!!!!. . . Anyone have a good way to stop them from laying waste to your dwarfs before you can cap the smelting holes with your smelters?[/spoiler]

I think it's possible to build them and then channel out the spot of impassableness to power the smelter. I believe I did that with my current fort machineshoots as I gradually capped over the volcano; I did have on casualty due to a magmacrab sniping a mason before the capping with schist was done.

If I recall, it should work out.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21721 on: April 08, 2012, 04:53:47 am »

Ok, so the goblin king of the dwarves in my world:

One of the first of his kind. Mentions nothing of his life until 98, when he became a ranger and began scouting the area around Anvilwebbed, a dwarven mountain home.

Thob Buneducim (Yup, he has a dwarven name.)
In 100 he began worshipping Meng, the dwarven moth god of the wind, valor, war and victory.
In 100 he became a member of the Righteous Doctrines (The religious group of Meng.)
In 110 he became the king of the Neutral Banners. (A relatively powerful dwarven civ.)
In 110 he settled in Sinkaxes.

Every group he is a member of have been dwarven.
Virtuous Vessels: A dwarven group who founded Sinkaxes.
Neutral Banners: The ones he rules.
Righteous Doctrines: the religion he follows.
Hollow Lanterns: A dwarven group who founded Anvilwebbed.

So is this goblin king just a goblin who thought he was a dwarf? He has never been a member of any non-dwarven civs.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #21722 on: April 08, 2012, 04:59:07 am »

check his parents if he got any?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21723 on: April 08, 2012, 05:09:04 am »

Ok, so the goblin king of the dwarves in my world:

One of the first of his kind. Mentions nothing of his life until 98, when he became a ranger and began scouting the area around Anvilwebbed, a dwarven mountain home.

Thob Buneducim (Yup, he has a dwarven name.)
In 100 he began worshipping Meng, the dwarven moth god of the wind, valor, war and victory.
In 100 he became a member of the Righteous Doctrines (The religious group of Meng.)
In 110 he became the king of the Neutral Banners. (A relatively powerful dwarven civ.)
In 110 he settled in Sinkaxes.

Every group he is a member of have been dwarven.
Virtuous Vessels: A dwarven group who founded Sinkaxes.
Neutral Banners: The ones he rules.
Righteous Doctrines: the religion he follows.
Hollow Lanterns: A dwarven group who founded Anvilwebbed.

So is this goblin king just a goblin who thought he was a dwarf? He has never been a member of any non-dwarven civs.

I would imagine he's descended from goblins the dwarves managed to conquer. Hence the name, and It's possible he may have been a close friend to an heirless dwarven king, allowing his ascension to the throne.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21724 on: April 08, 2012, 05:10:06 am »

He has no family... so Splint's guess seems the most correct. Thob seems pretty harmless; no kills. I'm not going to inflict Sabreheals on him; it's a Terrifying Glacier embark.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21725 on: April 08, 2012, 05:51:16 am »

In my running of a nonstart underhive embark, I found out my civ tamed large rats, ash jellies are afraid of herbalists, and vent lurkers are extremly ugly snake things. I may need to figure out a way to catch them should they appear again....

Stil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21726 on: April 08, 2012, 05:56:52 am »

Terrible migraine and bad mood, decided I didn't like the look of my 2 week/30 hour fortress so abandoned. Even though I wasn't under siege it said I was conquered (ambush in waiting?) so I guess I won't be getting my old dorfs back.

New embark, pastures green and new :)
"This in particular, simply because it's so siggable." Ironyowl

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #21727 on: April 08, 2012, 06:03:41 am »

Urist McExpeditionLeader: "By the way, the dead Kobold in this lake here was killed by my trusty hunting dog."
Urist McLiaison: "Ah. Is that why you decided that we should have our meetings here?"
Urist McExpeditionLeader: "The fortress might be on the other side of the river, but I think the Dead Kobold Lake represents best what our fortress stands for. Yes, I think I can see us killing many more Kobolds in the future."
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21728 on: April 08, 2012, 06:09:33 am »

The world has passed into The Golden Age.

So, I started a fort on a tropical volcanic island. With no military to speak of in year four, since I'm nicely isolated from any goblins, a brush titan announced its presence, a giant scorpion. One of my few marksdwarves who was in the wrong place at the wrong time managed to get two or three shots off before the titan rushed him, broke his neck and then mangled his body. I drafted two squads of disposable haulers into wrestler squads, and perhaps half a dozen of them managed to kick and punch the scorption to death.

The marksdwarf got a coffin and a slab in my burial hall. The titan got a slab, just to boast. He is also the killer of an elf. So, an equal opportunities titan. :)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21729 on: April 08, 2012, 06:13:36 am »

Vent lurker. Mocking me. DAMN YOU VENT LURKER! MUST BREED FOR GOOD BOOZE!!!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21730 on: April 08, 2012, 06:22:32 am »

The fight for fps and... I'm winning?First I destroyed some food, a 200 items or so. Then I destroyed the trashpile and replaced it for easier reach (had it moved underground for safety, but had to put it kind of far away due to miasma, but I got above ground secured now). This didn't seem to help much. Now I did a cleanowned scattered x through dfhack. An unbelievable ton of junk has been moved to the garbage zone where it rapidly is degrading. My FPS went from 14 to 38. With some stockpiles redesigning I think I can improve it better, but now I got to sift through my stuff for unclaimed damaged items. I just know there will be hundreds more that need to disintegrate.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Wolock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21731 on: April 08, 2012, 06:26:36 am »

First fort in a while.

Civ : The Virtuous Axe
Fort : Goldenaxes (Custom name)
Group : The Bolts of Steel (Random name)
Date : Autumn of Year 1
Pop : 11

Nothing much to say about the site except that it's a the base of a mountain. There's cassiterite and tetrahydrite, for once I'll have bronze instead of just copper.

Facepalm : I've forgot to bring an axe. After using all my logs I remembered that I can make a wooden axe... So I needed to wait until the second wave of migrants to get two woodcutters with axes...

Level -1 : Depot, Workshops, Farms, Warehouses

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Level -2 : Dining Hall, Dormitory, Administration office, Unfinished Barrack and Hospital

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21732 on: April 08, 2012, 06:30:44 am »

can't destroy something to free a log? maybe made a workshop wih one?

Wolock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21733 on: April 08, 2012, 06:40:56 am »

Nope, haven't made any workshop with wood. But my two new lumberjacks chopped a lot of trees in no time (70+ logs in less than a month)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21734 on: April 08, 2012, 06:50:37 am »

I've managed to capture a breeding pair of vent lurkers, now I need to figure out how the hell the mod makers screwed up the animal training binds so I can try to tame them.... Cause all the training options have the '?' symbol...
Pages: 1 ... 1447 1448 [1449] 1450 1451 ... 3842