Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1438 1439 [1440] 1441 1442 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6108209 times)

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #21585 on: April 04, 2012, 09:36:34 am »

Started a new embark to get used to the latest DF version ... and the latest permutation of the Flora and Fauna mod. Digging down per usual - one day I'll change my standard fortress layout, but that day is not today, apparently. Got a bit of a surprise looking at my food stockpile - 1. Feather trees are back. 2. Feather trees apparently produce something called feather tree feathers that gets placed in my food stockpile, but which may not be edible - I have no idea what to do with them. Besides considering it a kind of decoration....
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21586 on: April 04, 2012, 09:51:52 am »

I've just embarked, and there's Giant Kangaroo's roaming about.. Epic! Need to train some !

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #21587 on: April 04, 2012, 10:16:51 am »

A dwarven child has gotten a mood, and if I read the name right he is going to make Zansongkosh: Massiveslaughter. He has claimed a mason shop and is working away like a true bearded maniac, shouting wildly (posessed). The roof of the fort is still being worked on, currently some 10.000 stones are in various constructions and it's not yet halfway. Even the superfluous goblin soap has been used, though that created quite a laugh since it's pretty much permanently raining here. King cobra breeding has really picked up and we now have a large group trained for throwing at goblins. It's anyones guess how effective they will really be, but it should be fun to find out. Third generation is being hatched as we speak.

The peregrin project is doing fine too and soon everyone will have a goblin decoy for if they need to go outside, or a mobile pest control. However, a wild peregrin somehow managed to get into the underground treefarm. It doesn't come to any places where it could cause a disruption, but it's a bit annoying all the same.

Ah, the child sazir has finished. It's a tetrahedrite throne and indeed, The Massive Slaughter. If the king ever comes here we at least have a pimpy throne.

The caravan was a bit disappointed. However, a fort with everything set up as we have doesn't have much needs anymore.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Stil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21588 on: April 04, 2012, 10:25:33 am »

Fun times. An FB gave my soldiers a nasty syndrome and so I'm without any forces - unable to defeat the siege on the surface, pulled the level that collapses my entrance hallway and safely locked down tight for now. Ran out of booze (because foolishly I turned brewer labours off as I tried to train a single dorf to legendary - cept he became vampire food and I forgot to turn drinks back on the other guys :/) and a silly design oversight meant my pumpstack wasn't working properly. I lost an unforgivable 8 dorfs to dehydration and still riding out the tantrums. Never mind, getting back on track now. Hoping to tap into magma soon so I can start making new (uncontaminated) equipment and train a new military as all my migrants are being butchered up top.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 10:42:48 am by Stil »
"This in particular, simply because it's so siggable." Ironyowl

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #21589 on: April 04, 2012, 10:36:46 am »

Made a New, NEW fort.  Normal, seems to go well, except for an issue where when I desginate fire clay to be dug/mined out on a lower level, the thing un-designates.  Well actually, only the outer rim of the designated area is reverting.  The inner part still shows the designation shading.  This results in miners wanting to get to the inner part, without realizing that they have to get to the outer part first.  Is this normal for fire clay, or a bug? 

This is df 34.06 version btw. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #21590 on: April 04, 2012, 10:58:28 am »

aquifer? pool above?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #21591 on: April 04, 2012, 11:05:11 am »

No, it doesn't say wet stone detected, or hot stone detected.  It just...un-designates. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Malarauko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21592 on: April 04, 2012, 11:14:35 am »

The castle being raised on the surface is now almost complete with the thick stone walls, towers, ramparts and archways all in place. Only the roofs need finishing and then the furniture can be put in place to make the whole castle habitable. The aboveground castle is essentially a military outpost with all the necessary resources the army needs. The below ground fort contains all the civilian structures and areas. The castle is surrounded by two moats one water and another lava. The water one doubles as a fresh water source in case of siege. The surrounding area is crisscrossed by roads dividing up walled off forests that are accesible by underground tunnels. Essentially the castle is surrounded by armoured hamlets which can stay connected and supply the main fortress in any situation. The wooden palisade that originally protected the fort is to be disassembled and turned into a wooden town surrounding the castle proper. After all the work on the castle is finished there will be a curtain wall raised inside the moats.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
X is the lava, W is the water, c is the curtain wall and C is the castle.
The old wooden palisade is on the outside of the lava moat. There are bridges across the moats in all 4 cardinal directions.
Dwarf Fortress - Losing is fun.

Stil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21593 on: April 04, 2012, 02:31:01 pm »

Migrants were getting thrashed to buggery by gobo marauders, so I had no choice. I opened the gates at the same time as a human caravan arrived and my able only bodied dorf and 30 wardogs just swam at them... He is captain of the gaurd too so it's nice to see that fancy uniform (pheobus tileset) go! I pushed green off the board for now, hopefully can reclaim some lightsabres and get my lazerlasher squad up and running before any sieges come up.

Loses aside, the fort members are enjoying life - some nice artifacts popped up, started second housing floor and dug into some juicy ore veins to build noble accommodation. No vampires/werecreatures/necros sighted for a long time :) Magma forges up to speed, now working out the best way to train my metalsmiths so my squads have the best gear asap.

Forbidden beast sitting one tile away from my water intake (not fortifications), pretty scared he'll get into pumpstack, it's walled off but I'd be devastated if he collasped it. As he's underwater at the moment I can't send anything after him and a cave in is too risky
"This in particular, simply because it's so siggable." Ironyowl

HD23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21594 on: April 04, 2012, 02:51:21 pm »

I organized a match between a recently caged minotaur and my tame Giant cave spider, expecting epic battle.

The spider bit the minotaur in the hand, injected the venom, and then tore the paralyzed minotaurs throat, so he bled to death.
The end.

DF is funny to me in the sense that whenever I spend some time arranging something, it turns out anti climactic, but if something spontaneously happens, it happens to be the most interesting event in years.

FortKiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21595 on: April 04, 2012, 03:09:29 pm »

I mentioned duped raws earlier, here's my results:
Crashes when I start the adventure, but we have bronze colossi replacing elves, satyrs as humans, and dragons as dwarves. I can embark without crashes, though my dragons are listed under pets/livestock instead of citizens. I found a dog's tooth grass slope and a few cave lobsters on the surface.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 04:22:40 pm by FortKiller »

Castamere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21596 on: April 04, 2012, 03:51:46 pm »

chose a spot, selected jobs for my dwarfs, got some stuff for the road and never looked at the fort name generator :P

Playing DF is like getting into an elevator where you know it will freefall forty stories after it climbs about two.

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21597 on: April 04, 2012, 04:32:23 pm »

I mentioned duped raws earlier, here's my results:
Crashes when I start the adventure, but we have bronze colossi replacing elves, satyrs as humans, and dragons as dwarves. I can embark without crashes, though my dragons are listed under pets/livestock instead of citizens. I found a dog's tooth grass slope and a few cave lobsters on the surface.

Dog's tooth grass is actually quite normal, although I assume the vanilla variant is named for its spiky appearance (or, checking the linked wikipedia article on that page, the appearance of its seeds?), rather than being made from actual dog's teeth. Although with the tendency of creatures to spray teeth absolutely everywhere when struck, I suppose they could have seeded and turned into a new species of flora...

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21598 on: April 04, 2012, 04:34:05 pm »

Goblin Siege! The only other sign I had of the greenskinned plum-haired menace (note to self: check haircolour) were 4 snatchers two years ago.

First ran in a cage. Second ran in a cage. Third ran into a dodgem-weapon trap. Fourth dodged weapon trap, landed in river, drowned.

There's a big (two dozen?) squad of swordsgobs led by a single archer on a war giant bat. Well, I have one of those too and 9 marksdwarves to make your approach all the harder. This flying gobbat is the only one who can even get "in" my fort as I've managed to raise the bridge.

And all fisherdwarves got in safely. And I didn't hurl any of the dipshits partying at the war giant lynx chain against the wall either. Sweet.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21599 on: April 04, 2012, 07:42:45 pm »

My fortress was ambushed by kobolds with spears. My military is massive but I've only had time to make full armor for five people, the rest had helmets and mail shirts but not much else. Most people were fine, a few took trips to the hospital, one was killed, and my fish dissector/pikeman wound up on the ass end of an ass kicking. He passed out and an archer shot at his unconcious body until his buddies rescued him. Hands, arms, legs, feet, torso all irrepairably damaged. His entire body is infected and I imagine he's not long for this world, until then I guess he's just rolling around the fortress going to parties.
Pages: 1 ... 1438 1439 [1440] 1441 1442 ... 3842