Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1434 1435 [1436] 1437 1438 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6107839 times)

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #21525 on: April 02, 2012, 10:34:27 am »

Mainly bolts. You can easily make a statue by hammering together sheets of metal, but bolts? I imagine they're made entirely out of one metal, so casting them would be easiest.

I've thought about a "foundry" workshop once or twice myself, although it would probably just overcomplicate matters.

edit: anyway. Leopard Gecko people. Stupid sods attacked a fisherdwarf and pushed him into the river. He got out and I then hastily assembled a militia (weaponless marksdwarfs. Plenty of leather stuff to go around and they're all novice or better). The lads chased down and killed two of the shites, scaring the other three up into the hills. They can stay there.

One of the militia is very agile and he/she caught both the kills. Ran after the first, punched him a few times, put him in a stranglehold and let someone else punch the brains out. Pretty efficient.

edit2: I just realised there's a search function for the trade depot. Swanky. Makes it much easier to sell my leopard man skull totem. Masterfull and all blinged up and whatnot.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 10:45:31 am by AWdeV »
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21526 on: April 02, 2012, 10:47:37 am »

Yesterday, I rebuilt the grand goblin melter (completely automated magma defense system) in 34.06.

First siege, worked great, no problem whatsoever, source to drain, everything worked as well as it did it 31.25.

Then the second siege came, with 8 Cave Dragons and two squads of goblinite carriers.  As cave dragons are *slightly* larger than the average goblin, they take a while to melt.  Considerably longer than a goblin, in fact.  And... bridges won't raise (nor retract) with a cave dragon standing on them, either.  So, while everything worked, I had to manually intervene to completely dispose of the cave dragons, which was a little disappointing, but not overly so.

Looking forward with great anticipation to siege three, and considering my options for adjusting the design to handle cave dragons.  I think a good solution may be to make a second melter to handle large creatures, which means adjusting all the existing pressure plates to ignore things as heavy as cave dragons, but that doesn't prevent a mixed weight assault from entering the melting chamber together. hm hm.

Maybe change the sequence to melt heavy creatures first, and allow lighter creatures to pass through to a second melter?  Not sure! Ponts to ponder.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21527 on: April 02, 2012, 10:58:40 am »

Yesterday, I rebuilt the grand goblin melter (completely automated magma defense system) in 34.06.

First siege, worked great, no problem whatsoever, source to drain, everything worked as well as it did it 31.25.

Then the second siege came, with 8 Cave Dragons and two squads of goblinite carriers.  As cave dragons are *slightly* larger than the average goblin, they take a while to melt.  Considerably longer than a goblin, in fact.  And... bridges won't raise (nor retract) with a cave dragon standing on them, either.  So, while everything worked, I had to manually intervene to completely dispose of the cave dragons, which was a little disappointing, but not overly so.

Looking forward with great anticipation to siege three, and considering my options for adjusting the design to handle cave dragons.  I think a good solution may be to make a second melter to handle large creatures, which means adjusting all the existing pressure plates to ignore things as heavy as cave dragons, but that doesn't prevent a mixed weight assault from entering the melting chamber together. hm hm.

Maybe change the sequence to melt heavy creatures first, and allow lighter creatures to pass through to a second melter?  Not sure! Ponts to ponder.

Apply liberal amounts of magma, then douse it in water. Obsidianize eveerything.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21528 on: April 02, 2012, 11:09:57 am »

So, I had done a blanket "replace [PET_EXOTIC] with [PET]" move in my creature_subterranean or whatever with the logical but unexpected side-effect of migrants bringing in giant toads, bats, rats, olms and I've just bought a pair of Cave Crocodiles from the caravan.

Now, I was wondering if I could edit the raws to allow me to train the stray beasties without having to start a new game? And can I also give the Crocodiles the child tag without having to restart? They, conveniently, brought a girl and a boy, so...

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21529 on: April 02, 2012, 11:42:44 am »

So, I had done a blanket "replace [PET_EXOTIC] with [PET]" move in my creature_subterranean or whatever with the logical but unexpected side-effect of migrants bringing in giant toads, bats, rats, olms and I've just bought a pair of Cave Crocodiles from the caravan.

Now, I was wondering if I could edit the raws to allow me to train the stray beasties without having to start a new game? And can I also give the Crocodiles the child tag without having to restart? They, conveniently, brought a girl and a boy, so...
Changing creature tags doesn't require regen.

Stealtharcadia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cool Guy 3217
    • View Profile
« Reply #21530 on: April 02, 2012, 11:54:49 am »

Burrows have to be broken.

I walled off my fort from a goblin invasion, but I hatched a plan to flood the goblins with magma from the volcano I built my fort by. I dug a tunnel where I would flood it, broke the barrier between me and the outside world, then ordered everybody but my miner to a burrow underground. Well, apparently my miner decided she was part of the burrow too (she wasn't) and wouldn't release the magma when the time came. Not much later, the whole fort is brutally murdered by goblins. I had to delete the entire burrow for this one person to just dig one hole, which never happened.
Yeah yeah yeah!

Valikdu

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruin... has come to our family.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21531 on: April 02, 2012, 12:01:21 pm »

A necromancer I just killed had two tomes of his own autobiography with him.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21532 on: April 02, 2012, 12:21:08 pm »

Poor guy was just looking in to see if you had a publisher in your fort.   :'(

Fukken sweet. Thanks brah.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21533 on: April 02, 2012, 12:28:10 pm »

A necromancer I just killed had two tomes of his own autobiography with him.

So he was keeping a diary?

"1st Malachite 267, raised a dead fluffy wambler, will call him Snoozles. Lost 2lbs. Found Filty Dwarven dirt-hotel being build not a dozen miles from my estate - shambled an army over there to eliminate little buggers - reanimated their own piles of waste to kill them with, most satisfying."

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21534 on: April 02, 2012, 12:44:12 pm »

Starting to outfit the fort with pigtail clothing, and noticing masterpieces along the way.

So is the only way not to cause negative thoughts to let the dwarfs wear the piece until it's completely worn out, then sell it to a caravan?  I'm thinking dumping them to the volcano god, worn out or not, is going to be a bad day for the legendary Clothier that made them....

It was so much simpler when they were all (mostly) naked.

CptFastbreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21535 on: April 02, 2012, 01:09:03 pm »

*Bling*

"Did you hear that Stukos?"
"What Urist?"
"That strange sound and suddenly everything is different, although it is still the same Stukos."
"Oh that. Well Urist, old chap, that's what is called a 'version update.' You see ever so often, legend wills it, an existing fort..."
"Stukos, I'm terribly sorry to interrupt you, old devil, but I can't help but notice something."
"Yes, Urist?"
"Well old boy, I can't help but notice... God, this is awkward."
"You can tell me, Urist. We've been friends for years now."
"Alright, then... Well, I can't help but notice that I'm completely buck naked except for a thick coating of blood and vomit."
"Now that you mention it, old bean, I believe you're quite right."
"I also find myself slightly puzzled by the fact that you are buck naked as well, except you are wearing a right sock and six left mittens."
"Why old chap, I had just noticed that myself. I have to confess that I am strongly angered by this lack of clothing."
"Indeed my friend, I too feel an overwhelming urge to kill and destroy."
"Well there are some gentledwarves engaged in rioting in the Legendary Dining Hall, as it happens. What say we stop engraving and join them for a jolly old time of wanton murder."
"What a marvelous idea, good chap. Tally ho then!"

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21536 on: April 02, 2012, 01:13:15 pm »

Clearly these dwarfs were still wearing monocles.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #21537 on: April 02, 2012, 01:30:15 pm »

Poor guy was just looking in to see if you had a publisher in your fort.   :'(

Fukken sweet. Thanks brah.

you have to edit the raws in the save file though, not the ones in the regular df folder
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21538 on: April 02, 2012, 01:34:41 pm »

Yeah, I figured. I changed the normal raws, checked, couldn't train them, went looking for savegame raws and copy-pasted the changed raws in the required file. (after removing the non-edited stuff ofcourse)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #21539 on: April 02, 2012, 01:38:50 pm »

War king cobra, what can go wrong. Also, roof made of soap in a place where it is pretty much constantly raining... No problem
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 ... 1434 1435 [1436] 1437 1438 ... 3842