Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6109459 times)

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #2145 on: April 11, 2010, 06:04:13 pm »

Oh hey, I just got one of my dwarves hospitalized by a giant bat, he looks like he will be in there for quite some time...

At least he is still alive.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: April 11, 2010, 06:29:12 pm »

Roaming hell killed the fps, so I gave up and went to a pre-hell save.

Kidsta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: April 11, 2010, 06:50:59 pm »

A Giant Olm came out of the underground and attacked my dwarves. I conscripted the whole fort, and 3/4 of my population was killed trying to wrestle it to death.

The Giant Olm escaped alive too. When it went outside I called back my dwarves because there were only two capable of walking.

Cuchulain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: April 11, 2010, 06:55:46 pm »

So I started a new fortress, after a goblin siege and subsequent tantrum spiral threw my last fort into disarray. My stupid military dwarves didn't help.

So. I dug out a farm, fixed up a screw pump to water it as my first order of business. And then pumped way too much water, flooding the thing.

At the same time, I started excavating my entrance, digging nice and deep for a good, dwarfy fortress. I happened to come upon a huge hollow in the earth, complete with nice muddy soil, all ready for planting - "Hey," thinks the expedition leader, "Let's move down there!"

So I start hauling foodstuffs down, making farms, designing a nicely defensible little fortress in the depths.

And then conflict happens.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: April 11, 2010, 07:54:26 pm »

Well, I lost my legendary starting-seven farmer to a failed mood - thought I cleared the bottleneck up, but he must have wanted more body parts than the three animals I slaughtered provided. Also lost two more dwarves to shell-demanding moods, which makes, 4-5 fatalities - debating turning them off for now. On the bright side, the two that went berserk gave my military some hands-on training and didn't do any damage, thanks to swiftly issued kill orders. Luckily, his skills won't be needed for a while, as I set the farms fallow in light of the 1500+ food and drink each presently in stock.

With my pop cap at 60, I'm not big enough to get seiges, but the ambushes are really growing in size - I think I counted forty at one point during the last hunam caravan's departure, tho they made it away intact with the assistance of my military - tho mainly just my equipment-hog of a militia commander, now with 61 kills to his name, and only scars to eye and ear. I think most of the gobbos ran away.

Not long befor that, two ambushes were spotted from my courtyard walls, including the gobbo war leader - unfortunately, two additional ambush squads slowed my militia down enough that he was able to run away. I've sense mandated increasing the height of that wall, to ward against archers on an adjacent hill.

Two grunts fresh from the hospital were with him, but didn't get any kills, and one died from an infection a little later, tho in retrospect I should have seen it coming, what with him constantly fainting as he ran out - wish I'd given him a tomb, dedicated lad that he was. I've sense made soap, but the hospital hasn't claimed it, or the plaster, even when I dump/reclaim the bags into the hospital zone itself. Vexing.

In other news, my magma forges are now online, complete with a 45z drop "Rapid Transfer Shaft" for shipping material down there. I've temporarily turned invaders off so I can clean up the map, and just clearing the junk from in front of my drawbridge has generated a few hundred melt jobs. Thank Armok for that shaft to the forges - I'll have to drop a kitten or something down it.

I've also taken to buying valley herbs from the hunams and elves. It costs ☼50, but processed into a green glass vial, I can sell it for ☼2500. Good should trade good production lapse, I suppose, but at the moment I've just been giving the odd vial away.

Oh, yes, and gifting the Mountainhomes Rock Salt Blocks. Lots and lots of Rock Salt Blocks. Regular salt mine I've got here. One of these days I want to add a "Mill Salt to Bag/Barrel" custom reaction and add another trade good. But for the most part I just think it's funny. Only down side is I can't get them to put it in a stone block stockpile instead of my metal bar stockpile which has been set to NOT accept stone blocks, even after making/unmaking several of each.

EDIT:
If you're having issues with path-finding, I've found that locking and unlocking a door will usually fix it, atleast temporarily. I've read it supposedly forces the game top recalculate path-finding. I generally have to do it a few times a year, often when installing new doors.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 08:14:11 pm by Wolfius »

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: April 11, 2010, 08:36:25 pm »

Between Orc Christmases, the occasional ambush, and lots of high-value meals I made way back in the day, my export economy consists of "Decorate clothing peeled from goblin/orc/dark elf corpses. Sell for profit.", and my agriculture consists of fiber and dye plants, with the occasional booze plant to keep the booze hovering around 1500-2000. Otherwise, I'm training up some armor/weaponsmiths, keeping military in shape, and building up my massive obsidian block walls. No production, no food, just lots of hauling and socializing.

On a more interesting note: My fort was just approached by a blue dragon, who got itself caught in a cage trap, slain by one of my champions, and then butchered for its troubles. Following suggestions from friends, I then had the hide of this ancient monstrosity made into a rather fetching =blue dragon leather cap=, and then decorated with the bones from same, making it a stylish *<<=blue dragon leather cap=>>*.
Edit: After checking the legends, he wasn't too fearsome. Stole a lot of stuff for his hoard, received the worship of some orcs and dwarfs, and killed a grand total of 13 humanoids over the course of 200 years. I've got dwarfs with better kill tallies than that.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: April 11, 2010, 08:40:13 pm »

Been playing in an old 40d fort. Struck the HFS. Miners are dieing. First time doing this.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: April 11, 2010, 08:48:47 pm »

Forgot to give anybody expedition leader skills, so naturally I end up with no administrators or nobles available period.

Now being the modder I am I figure I'll just mod the mayor to only require 7 residents.  A mayor should get elected quickly and I can access the bookkeeper and such again.

Haha, no such luck, the save hangs on load, and I get a 2 and a half Megabyte text file of invalid hist figure ID number and invalid Nemesis ID number.  Fort number 5 in a row that fails to get off the ground due to a bug.

Oh well, 6th try's the charm.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Nakanja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: April 11, 2010, 08:53:39 pm »

I just encountered my first Kobold thief since starting the new version.  I was expecting them to try to scurry away when spotted, instead she just takes the dwarf's head off with a single swing of a dagger and then scurries away.  Now she's just lurking there in the hills above my fort.

Cuchulain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: April 11, 2010, 09:22:27 pm »

I just encountered my first Kobold thief since starting the new version.  I was expecting them to try to scurry away when spotted, instead she just takes the dwarf's head off with a single swing of a dagger and then scurries away.  Now she's just lurking there in the hills above my fort.

It occurs to me that this version of the game is a lot more deadly than the last! For more Fun.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: April 11, 2010, 09:42:04 pm »

Some how on the reclaim of an ice fort I hit the good stuff and none of the fun stuff, and now have a military leader deck out in cyan and bronze(it's skin of course).
killed off an pack of reptilemen since I found out I can't capture them with out a knock out gas.

I should have modded out the need for beds as a noble requests since they don't sleep ever. still need that appraisal skill and forgot to make a bookshelf workshop(before generating the world) that makes learning that skill easier/stylish.

I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: April 11, 2010, 11:34:12 pm »

Got a real nice fort going, then I got careless with ramps, which lead to my miner/broker/manager/bookkeeper/expedition leader being crushed by a tree.

This would not be a problem, except for the disappearing noble bug. Does anyone know a workaround. Trading without a broker is hard.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: April 11, 2010, 11:40:24 pm »

Got a real nice fort going, then I got careless with ramps, which lead to my miner/broker/manager/bookkeeper/expedition leader being crushed by a tree.
I've had my fair share of tree collapses, but being crushed by a tree?

Man, you must have been really careless.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2158 on: April 11, 2010, 11:54:44 pm »

Well I'm building inside a volcano, so I'm going to build some kind of 'ventilation tube' to the top of the mountain, will make it look like chimneys.
Not that it will alter the temperature inside the fortress, not if that matters. Maybe it does, but even after 1 year of DF I still feel a newbie in many areas.

I'm also trying to figure how to get that volcano-magma without killing a miner, since there's no other way than digging the 'volcano-magma-wall' directly...I can't channel it, etc. So whatever, someone will die for the sake of fuel and trees and madness.
Though if the miner can run for his life, 5 tiles to reach a stair, he deserves to live.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2159 on: April 11, 2010, 11:57:06 pm »

I often use ramps when I'm digging near the surface so I get nice clean walls, but I neglected to check if the very thin grassy area (it was only three or four tiles wide!) on the Z-level above my camp had any trees on it. I just wish he hadn't vanished so many noble positions.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 3842