Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1428 1429 [1430] 1431 1432 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6107367 times)

outofpractice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #21435 on: March 31, 2012, 04:35:19 am »

not so much whats going on in my fort.. more my world. Genned my first world in .07.. was having a look thru the legend files. Ended gen at 350 at this time, 4 humans are alive. They lost their last fort at 248 and had dwindled down to nothing. Regen time. Limited trade is bad enough without losing 1 entire civ.

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21436 on: March 31, 2012, 05:07:53 am »

For the first time, my fort has encountered a truly nasty Forgotten Beast.

Flyer with poisonous vapors.

VERY poisonous vapors.
Also, poisonous.

A large chunk of my military is now rotting in the hospital with every body part rotten, and dwarf blood and misama are everywhere.  This thing was also able to send dwarves/war dogs flying into walls.  I'll have to wait and find out if the syndrome is catching...
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 05:10:53 am by MenacesWithSpikes »
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21437 on: March 31, 2012, 05:15:07 am »

I embarked to a new location a couple days ago. Flattish area with a 10 z-level canyon cut through it by two rivers. Lost two cats in the waterfall almost immediately, so I placed a restricted traffic zone over the waterfall and concentrated on survival (this is a "no seeds, no food, no booze" embark.)

I'm struggling to gather plants, brew booze, slaughter the horses, and prep as much as I can before the traders arrive. Dug out a shaft area, put the depot one z-level down, built bridges across the rivers and ramps on the other side, so that the caravan won't try to cross the waterfall. Turns out they show up on the one area where I don't have a ramp yet, so the wagons leave. The rest of the merchants try to cross the waterfall and die... and then most of my dwarves die trying to retrieve the merchandise. As soon as I forbid one large batch of stuff, another dwarf dies and I don't quite move fast enough to forbid all the dropped possessions before another dwarf enters the waterfall.

So, I'm down to 6 dwarves from the peak of 17 or 18. Five are doing reasonably well, but one lost his wife and child, so he's throwing tantrums most of the time. I've got a third depot entrance now, so maybe the elves will be smart and not try to cross any waterfalls.

You know you can have the game automatically forbid all death items on drop! Press o then F I believe

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21438 on: March 31, 2012, 05:17:44 am »

Diagnosis:  Advanced rot, extreme swelling.  Treatment:  Cleaning and surgery.

Come on, every part of their bodies is rotting!

I'm building tombs and coffins in a hurry.

So far it doesn't seem to be catching, at least. *crosses fingers*

Leave anything to chance, eventually the RNG will roll a 1 and everything will erupt in a fountain of magma and vomit.

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21439 on: March 31, 2012, 05:26:03 am »

I'm not liking that "pool of forgotten beast extract" on the hospital room floor.

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21440 on: March 31, 2012, 05:29:53 am »

It's catching.  So doomed.

People's feet are getting infected from the blood of my military dwarves...

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21441 on: March 31, 2012, 05:57:02 am »

Wish I could get my dwarves to actually clean.

Even turning off all of a dwarf's labors except Cleaning and sticking him in a burrow labeled "Contamination..." Still no cleaning.

Oddly enough, no dwarves have died of the syndrome yet, though a few pets have already exploded.  (Bled to death, to be specific.)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #21442 on: March 31, 2012, 05:58:16 am »

So I've gotten my first FB, and an injured dorf is spamming that she cannot find her baby. Who is dead. Which is sort of sad, but I would appreciate if she would die already, I didn't notice the migrant wave due to her.
You can always use her as bait.
Just put her in the caverns surrounded by cage traps and wait for something to happen.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

MenacesWithSpikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21443 on: March 31, 2012, 06:06:28 am »

I wonder if I can manage to infect the dwarven traders when they arrive... given that my dwarves tracked this stuff all over a major corridor, I think the traders will be getting FB foot rot!

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21444 on: March 31, 2012, 09:12:37 am »

The Great Rabbit-Hut
Founded by The Bronze Grains

01) The Embark - What happened??
02) A Fresh Start Means Crossing your Fingers
03) It almost feels like cheating, and like Yak Management
04) Our only skeleton is an Industry Framework

So as I stated before, I butchered the Yaks in a containment room, and my dwarves did a surgical extraction.
It went really well, and we had almost all the meat before the dead walked.

Now more of the dead are walking, but the second undead hair is still missing
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In the meantime, the dwarves were keeping busy.
Originally, I only had 2 picks and one competent miner, so the "Stone Production" had trouble keeping up with the Construction Demand.
Well, not anymore. Even though I've used up all my chert, and just passed the 2nd pick to a useless nobody, I'm still running a rock industry.
And that has even promoted my "militiary-skill" dwarves who thus-far haven't been training in anything.

Oh, there it is. The last Yak Piece has risen.
Notice all the tasty food !

The Giant Wombat Corpse finally wandered away. In it's place, a Yeti Corpse has arrived.
Yes, everything is singular. It still feels like cheating in the mountains, compared to flatland where flying undead swarm-hordes quickly zoom around everywhere.

Anyway, the general Bunker is complete for now. I got the roof setup, and a floor hatch as the entrance.
I'm working on a trash compactor so I can eventually get my sheep industry going.
And since the surface world is so boring with just 1-undead-cement-corpse out there, I'm going to start building a bigger pasture.

Next time, the first day of Summer.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21445 on: March 31, 2012, 10:19:10 am »

I conscripted a vampire and was leading him to his fate, when I noticed a hauler following him into the dead end hallway.  The vampire was hauling a plump helmet spawn, and as soon as I locked the door, the hauler "cancels Store Item In Bag: Could not find path."

In other words, a dwarf that goes on duty can continue hauling something, and a hauler can chase them down to store the item.  Huh.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Stealtharcadia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cool Guy 3217
    • View Profile
« Reply #21446 on: March 31, 2012, 10:29:49 am »

Zombie forts are the best forts. The place looked nice enough until it started raining abhorrent filth and giving my dwarves fevers. I was almost ready to move my dwarves inside when one of my cats was murdered.

This cat, of course, zombified and killed a few dwarves, obviously causing the zombie apocalypse.
Yeah yeah yeah!

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21447 on: March 31, 2012, 10:44:39 am »

Snrg. I started in 78. This is late Autumn 79. I have a 103 Dwarfs. Of which 46 are children. The fuck?
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Luzahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21448 on: March 31, 2012, 11:01:44 am »

Well great. Apparently I am under eternal siege because I dropped about a dozen zombies down my volcano.  They just mill around at the bottom, presumably plotting their revenge.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 11:05:19 am by Luzahn »

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21449 on: March 31, 2012, 11:06:24 am »

Now you need to pump all magma from volcano to atomsash them.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.
Pages: 1 ... 1428 1429 [1430] 1431 1432 ... 3842