Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6109427 times)

MooUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #2130 on: April 11, 2010, 02:40:28 am »

Well, more of my third fort from yesterday: Running low on fuel, so I went prospecting and also expanded my residential wing, since there was a bit of coal left to the south of it. Found yet more gems, and still have no jewellers at all. Expanded my military to 15 close combat dwarves, mostly axemen depending on existing skills, and left them inactive - seems that does get them doing individual training. Not sure I saw any noticeable skill increase over about five months, though. I'd started armouring them in iron rather than leather.

Then more goblins turned up. And my military got decimated. Then more goblins turned up. And my military was about to get wiped out when it crashed.

Oh well.

How much does turning off invaders affect the underground activity? I'd like to build a fort inside the caverns, as in actually constructed, this time.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: April 11, 2010, 03:42:10 am »

Hi!

A quick update as I continued running the fortress for a few months to build kennels and train some war grizzly bears!

But the reason for the update is another one: A forgotten beast has spawned inside my caverns... I really hope it can't fly because I don't think my dwarves can handle it. Especially as there is a warning about its fire!!!

Come to think of it, people have reported beasts not being protected against their own attacks. Maybe I am lucky.

But then again, killing that beast is very tempting, because it has shell (which I can't obtain in my fortress).... decisions, decisions ...

Deathworks

!!Zombie Carp!!

• Bay Watcher
  • Look into my eyes... you must give cooookieesss...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: April 11, 2010, 06:31:06 am »

Urist McMoodyDorf just used up half my adamantine stocks to make an artefact bracelet. A fucking bracelet>:( With MY adamantine!

Suffice to say, someone had an 'unfortunate accident' involving said artefact.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[pizza=omnomnom]

Kitpup

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fuzzy One
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #2133 on: April 11, 2010, 08:20:49 am »

Blood. Blood everywhere...
Quote from: My Brain
Dig little diggah, dig!
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.

Keolah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2134 on: April 11, 2010, 08:55:29 am »

The "create plant fiber bag cancelled: needs 60,000 plant fiber" is keeping me from making an artifact glass item too ><

One "bolt" of cloth is apparently 15000 units now or some such with the new hospital system in. It's a little confusing... but be assured that it doesn't actually want 60000 bolts of cloth.

My current fort: By digging out massive amounts of dirt, I am making all my dwarves legendary miners. ;D
There's no use crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of *cat tallow roast*.

Jualin

• Bay Watcher
  • What's that sound?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: April 11, 2010, 09:39:12 am »

I just broke into hell, saw creatures of salt and soot. I thought that the underground now went to -150 or something like that, but mine topped out at -35. Ah well.

Came for the abominations, left satisfied.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: April 11, 2010, 09:42:51 am »

I just broke into <redacted>, saw creatures of salt and soot. I thought that the underground now went to -150 or something like that, but mine topped out at -35. Ah well.

Came for the abominations, left satisfied.
It's a fun place, but spoilers are still spoilers.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

MCHamster

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: April 11, 2010, 10:44:51 am »

Currently my dorfs are busy working their asses off with no regards to their personal needs. I wish this would get fixed.

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2138 on: April 11, 2010, 11:22:13 am »

I'm going to bed.  This game is burning me out pretty fast.  It was great when things worked.

Oh, suck it up.  The pathfinding resets eventually.  Generally on season change, though I think I've heard something about it happening when it rains and under other circumstances.  Work on something else 'til then.

The "create plant fiber bag cancelled: needs 60,000 plant fiber" is keeping me from making an artifact glass item too ><

I think i may have to edit some raws and make bags cost 1 fabric... or nothing, whatever.

That's actually not a bug in the process; that's a confusing thing.  There are like 20000 plant fiber per cloth.  It's for stitching.

Me?  I had to abandon a fort due to terrible layout which left me defenseless and with all of my dwarves...  hauling.  Nonstop hauling.  For no reason.  It was my own fault, but, man, they were all dehydrating to death and not one of them would go make booze!  So half of them were outside when the ambushes came, and the gobbos waltzed right in with no problem after that.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

endimiao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: April 11, 2010, 11:31:56 am »

Started a somewhat conventional fortress site to get the hang of things in this version. Temperate wilderness forest, almost flat with access to plenty of trees and water and no aquifer. Things have been going smooth. Ive dug into soil to quickly set up 4 major stockpile zones (food/refuse/wood/finished goods), followed by an expandable workshop layer to whom i added some rock stockpiles and a residential/training area on the first rocky layer bellow.
I havent dug into the caverns yet, since im using the 4rth layer as a major iron and coal source.

I walled and trapped the surface in a small perimeter around the entrance complete with a nice drawbridge, using a nearby pool as my main source of fish and drinking water, as well as initial irrigation. Ive set up surface and underground farms and an immigrant ranger is even providing a steady flux of bodies for my meat industry (a single fisher/hunter at a time is enough at the moment). My military started training one season ago, 10 dwarves clad in iron chain+shield and wielding several masterpiece iron warhammers and axes. Some kobolds got trapped in some cage traps... and thats about it for now. Quite smooth, the only annoyances being unable to craft shell armors and taking the time to figure out that i need to acess the barracks menu to enable troops training.

MooUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: April 11, 2010, 12:59:05 pm »

Fort number 5:
Turned invasions off for this one, since I'm getting irritated with goblin ambushes and military training's still interesting. The plan this time is to build my fort inside the caverns.

Built my temporary fort in the sand under my embark point. I then dug a stairwell down about twelve levels and emerged right at the bottom of a cavern, rather than half way up. Which was convenient. There's apparently a giant frog lurking in the wet end of the cavern, but he's stayed there so far. Forged a couple of serrated iron discs to sell to the caravan, and was able to buy everything that wasn't silly priced - even at low quality they seem to go for well over a thousand each, and the third one was worth over three thousand by itself. Which makes life simple.

Fuel might be a slight problem; may have to heavily mine the first couple layers under my temporary fort for coal. But at least I'm finding coal, not lignite. The cavern contains copious amounts of silver and tin.

Farm's up and running in the caverns, and my donkey herd is slowly breeding so I have food supplies. Will sort out a well in the caverns soon. The biggest problem at the moment is working out where to build stuff.

EDIT: Oh god. (Spoilered due to spoiler and size...)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT again: Oh. Well that was easier than expected. I lost one speardwarf and one dog. An axedwarf and a sworddwarf then cut it til it bled to death. Including chopping off its second left leg. Which, it seems is butcherable by itself!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 03:04:26 pm by MooUK »

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: April 11, 2010, 03:18:11 pm »

My first mood was my future Gem Setter.  Fey.  She made something boring, some gem scepter (Okay, cooler than wood, but still.)

Second?  My future gem cutter.  Another Fey.  She made a boring gem (Okay, an awesome gem, but nothing exciting.)

Then I found faint yellow diamonds.

Then my carpenter got a fey mood.  A Hatch Cover with an elaborate name, for something made of a single log with no decorations.  So now I have a never ending supply of "Urist McCarpenter has created a msterpiece!" messages on my "barrel repeat", not to mention the wonderfully decorated gems covered in spikes of other gems and decorations which basically say "Fuck yeah we rock" in gem. 

Unfortunately, I didn't bring an anvil, my dwarves were too lazy to manage to trade with the first caravan, and the second didn't bring any anvils.  There seem to be no humans, even though they were on the embark screen.  My metal industry is non existent until fall...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 03:21:05 pm by PopeRichardCorey »
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

MCHamster

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: April 11, 2010, 03:51:56 pm »

Oh hey, TWO ambushes before I have a chance to set up a proper military with the terrible new interface! Forget it. This isn't fun. If I do ever play DF again its going to be 40d.

Hunterdew

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: April 11, 2010, 03:53:08 pm »

Had a new migrant wave.

Got an Adequate Surgeon/Talented Butcher.
Hunterdew cancels having a life: Playing Dwarf Fortress

MooUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: April 11, 2010, 03:59:37 pm »

Oh hey, TWO ambushes before I have a chance to set up a proper military with the terrible new interface! Forget it. This isn't fun. If I do ever play DF again its going to be 40d.

It's buggy. We know that. Either work around it, like the rest of us, or turn off invasions, or come back when the bugs are fixed.
Either way, stop whinging! :)

The remains of the previous "ohgod" butchered up nicely. Nearly 200 meat, and at least 40 other bits. Including, interestingly, exactly the right number of eyes.
Pages: 1 ... 141 142 [143] 144 145 ... 3842