Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1411 1412 [1413] 1414 1415 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972658 times)

daggerbite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Daggerbite
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #21180 on: March 25, 2012, 05:31:47 pm »

Just had our 4th Siege - The Attack Of Lashing

One dwarf lost for 41 enemies killed.

Highlights include
  • A goblin getting shot so much he spends the rest of the assault puking his guts out.
  • A troll breaking through from the caverns below, causing unbelievable panic and goring two dogs to death.
  • One of our civilians trying to kill said troll by biting.
  • A suicide charge by our badly armed hammerdwarfs, which surprisingly doesn't end too bad - only one dwarf lost (and his killer later put down).
  • One of the hammerdwarfs bashes his way past the trolls in his way with no armour and just a warhammer.
  • Another hammerdwarf batters a few trolls and manages to stay alive with just a shield to his name.
  • And a giant kestrel getting randomly shot in the face during the carnage...
Welcome to Daggerbite, a lovely place where we murder and eat magpies.
Killing minotaurs, forgotten beasts and giant cave spiders is all in a days work

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #21181 on: March 25, 2012, 05:32:40 pm »

A greatsword artifact!  Yay!

Made of alpaca bone!  Boo!

My "hammerer" is modded to use swords for executions...maybe I can get him to use it.  Still probably good for lopping a vampire's head off.  Just need to make sure my real military doesn't try to use it.

metal sword, exact match, no more doubt
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #21182 on: March 25, 2012, 05:36:33 pm »

Things were placidly moving along at my fort until I decided to breach the caverns so my adventurer would have a way down there. The first Troglodyte came in and was promptly slaughtered, and I foolishly took my squad off duty thinking there couldn't be more rushing toward the stairwell.

So the hauler that was going to install the door to lock them out get ambushed. Being completely naked (as I haven't yet updated to .06), totally unarmed and unseasoned, I figured I had a loss on my hands. But some how they managed to fend the Troglodyte off long enough for the militia to (re)assemble to kill it, only suffering several bruises and small cuts.

So like an idiot, I call my militia off, again.

The next thing I see is a Troglodyte on level 0, emerging from the hatch to mine/underground, assaulting one my children. The little tyke didn't even stand a chance, although he did swing on the Troglodyte a couple of times. After joint locking and snapping all the kid's limbs, he finally punched him in the head and put the child down. Where he was immediately slaughtered by my militia, reactivated for the second time in less than 2 minutes.

So I'd had enough, sent my militia down into the underground in front of the door, and slaughtered several more waves of troglodytes until the door was finally put in place and locked.

I'm pretty pleased with my no invaders embark so far. There's been plenty of fights, a few tragedies and all of it without the psycho-levels of invasions and necessary military setup that a normal game of DF calls for.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #21183 on: March 25, 2012, 05:41:23 pm »

A large squad of lashers was succesfully disposed of. Troglodites tried to invade but were met by the unarmed but metal clad marksdorf squad. The dorfs got in only one hit in four, but the trogs didn't hit at all.

Not a great succes, and the entrance is closed for now, so, well, let's see.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21184 on: March 25, 2012, 05:46:33 pm »

I'm trying to dig through an aquifer using a 4x4 shaft.
My original miner vanished into the pit when winter hit and the lower level flash froze.

Since then, I've forged a new pick, and got 8 of the 12 walls built, but time is starting to run down towards winter.
Now that I've only got room for one pump at a time it is getting quite tricky to build more walls, and I haven't made any progress in the last 4 months.

The bottom of this shaft is a thick slurry of mud, blood and ice.
Winter set in, and I was able to get a peek further down.  The aquifer is at least 2 Z-levels thick, so the 4x4 shaft is impossible.
Time to expand to a 6x6 shaft and hope the aquifer isn't 3+ deep.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21185 on: March 25, 2012, 05:50:59 pm »

I propose one fo the following:

Vampire Overlord.
Necromancer Overlord.
Dragon to be worshipped as a god by your dorfs.
Sealed goblins in a can.

Went back to underhive for a bit. Finally got that useless slag cavern watered (and nearly flushed away a grox nest.)

Here's a picture of it so far:

May have used too small a font... But those are a few of the main floor area sans pillbox 2
cattle and future farms. irrigation done by a small waterwheel set up further downriver.
other defensive fixtures, above each gate.
second highest pillbox pillox 5, and a secondary barracks in the future. I have set this settlment up so I can fire down upon invaders damn near anywhere around the settelment proper. There's stairs hidden by the rockrete boulders on the bottom leading to the highest up, pillbox 6.

I have to save constantly due to either my meddeling with cave spores to make them year round crops or some other undetermined error causing crashes making things slow going. ALso, despite playing DF for months, this was my first successful irrigation attempt. Only death so far was the ealier fishery worker who had suffered a case of fang-through-skull and a miner (I cheated to take care of a wild grox that was trapped and when I mined out the iron slag, a peice came down and squashed the poor girl.) I also have three irrevocably injured hivers; My Colonel, who lost the use of his aiming hand, my expedition leader/woodcutter and one of the hivers tasked with carving firing ports in the boxes both need crutches to walk, though both killed the spiders that attacked them. These people are some vicious fighters, fighting on in the face of shattered bones and other debilitating injuries.

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21186 on: March 25, 2012, 06:54:54 pm »

I'm pretty pleased with my no invaders embark so far. There's been plenty of fights, a few tragedies and all of it without the psycho-levels of invasions and necessary military setup that a normal game of DF calls for.

I started a no-invaders fort recently, too! Fussing less over equipping squads and fortifying our burrow has made time for a quaint textile industry and (gasp!) an aesthetically-appealing design that has yet to use a single up-down staircase, based on Quietust's Releasetreaty. Haven't breached the caverns yet -- though I probably should, as the embark is on a treeless tundra -- but there are some hunters training on the local wildlife right now.

E: Splint, your posts are really making me want to try Underhive but I can't bear losing all of the lovely new .34.x stuff.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 06:58:04 pm by trees »
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #21187 on: March 25, 2012, 07:12:35 pm »

Due to my mason deciding it would be a wonderful idea to take a nap, a gap was left in a wall, thus allowing a cave crocodile to sneak past and murder all my fort. Only one dwarf remains, but the crocodile has left the map.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Chuckster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21188 on: March 25, 2012, 07:22:28 pm »

An Ambush! Curse them!
First goblin ambush in this fortress. I have been trying to build a castle for almost two fort years. I was completed unprepared. So I drafted my two miners and my lord (It is just a custom profession for my future baron). My miners were equipped with picks. My lord was equipped with a steel helm, a wooden tower shield and a steel battle axe.

I am seeing one goblin squad, pikegobs led by one axe gob. They kill a mason that was outside hauling stone.
They come down by the unwalled northeast hill. One of my miners wasn't even near the battleground! My master miner and Lord had to kill the goblins. However, my Lord got injured. Master Miner Uno was mining a goblin pikeman to pieces... until the goblin got behind him and stabbed a pike through his head. All was lost!
Then Master Miner Dos arrives! Dos sees that his beloved companion dead, one of seven to first come to this fortress. Dos filled up with raged and charged the remaining group of goblins! It is amazing! He dodged and parried. His pick dropped the killer of Miner Uno, and all of the remaining goblin attempt to flee. Dos saw the goblin that Uno was trying to kill before the pike goblin stabbed him in the head. The fleeing goblin was too injured to walk so it desperately tried to crawl away. Dos ran up to this goblin and drove his pick into the back of its skull. Then Dos chased the rest of the survivors.
Then... An Ambush! Curse them!
  A squad of axe goblins were spotted outside our south gate! I quickly order my miner squad and Lord to the south gate. I see that the Lord was unconscious from the previous battle and he was in the middle of the castle. The axegoblins entered through our gate and met a force of war dogs guarding it. The dogs died.
  Where was Miner Dos?! I need him to fight the goblins!  He is still chasing the routers from the previous fight on the north hill!  My civilians were ordered to stay inside a tower but things were getting desperate. So I order the rest of my dwarves into the military. I hoped them to fight and repel the goblins!
 The goblins were slowly marching into the West tower. Suddenly, the goblins saw the great doors of the tower open. About 15 untrained, unarmed and unarmored dwarves rushed out to meet the goblins in combat. The dwarves fought bravely but the goblin axes proved too deadly. The goblins looked around and saw the Lord in the middle of the courtyard. The Lord was suffering a foot injury from the previous fight. He died by the repeated strikes at his head when he fell unconscious.
 But then Urist McFisherwarf is seen in the courtyard! Master Miner Dos arrives as well! I have seem to have missed one dwarf to recruit into a squad! Dos quickly charges at the goblins but he too was suffering a foot injury. So he crawled fiercely to fight the goblins. However, Urist McFisher saw all of his friends, his wife and children are butchered in the courtyard. He starts Throwing A Tantrum! An axe goblin rushes to try to kill the blue dwarf. Before the goblin can swing his axe, Urist punches the goblin. At that instant, the goblin is shocked by such resistance. The rest of the goblins are fleeing! (Or they just got tired of killing all but two of my dwarves.) But Urist's Berserk Anger made him charge the fleeing goblin that tried to attack him. He grabbed the goblin and threw him into the ground. The goblin shrieked with fear and tried to scramble away. Urist kept punching and stomping at the humanoid figure beneath him. Then the figure stopped squirming.
  Dos was still angrily crawling towards the goblins but they are all gone now. Dos and Urist conducted a meeting in order to settle this horrible situation. However, either of them would throw a tantrum from the lost of loved ones. They are the only two dwarves left. Suddenly, the defender of the fort ,Dos, goes Berserk! "Dos? We need each other to survive through this! Stop trying to crawl angrily at me!"
  So Dos tried to kill Urist. However, because of Dos's foot injury, he could only crawl. Urist just ran away from him all over the map. "I don't seem him anywhere... It must be safe for now..." Then Urist will see Dos is still trying to chase him and run away from the crippled murderer. I couldn't play the fortress because of this humorous yet unproductive chase. So I ended there.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21189 on: March 25, 2012, 07:26:40 pm »

E: Splint, your posts are really making me want to try Underhive but I can't bear losing all of the lovely new .34.x stuff.

If I recall, its DF2010 atm. They're working on updating it for .34.xx and comes all as one packaged file. I can link you to the main thread if you'd like. I gotta be honest, the most fun I've had playing DF since I first picked it up. I advise strongly making the cave spores year round crops or have shorter growth time though, as they're basically the second most important crop in the game (You need an extract from it to make metals/fuel from rockcrete) and it functions like quarry bushes in terms of food supplied.

Hell I'd be glad to babble on about it over PMs. It's almost like relearning how to play DF.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21190 on: March 25, 2012, 07:34:12 pm »

I started a no-invaders fort recently, too! Fussing less over equipping squads and fortifying our burrow has made time for a quaint textile industry and (gasp!) an aesthetically-appealing design that has yet to use a single up-down staircase, based on Quietust's Releasetreaty. Haven't breached the caverns yet -- though I probably should, as the embark is on a treeless tundra -- but there are some hunters training on the local wildlife right now.

I'm fairly proud of my deluxe 7-level condominium. I would have abandoned it by now for my adventurer to live in....but I've been waiting for the DF Hack .06 update, which supposedly will bring the Lair Tool back. I've got a ton of crap in this fortress for my adventurer's benefit, and I don't feel like doing the year+ cleanup job the item scatter would cause to happen.

So I've just been messing around stockpiling clothing and waiting for the children to grow up until DF Hack gets its update. Fortress has been done for a couple years now.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #21191 on: March 25, 2012, 07:35:19 pm »

How do you ever go find your fort? I never was able to do that.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21192 on: March 25, 2012, 07:37:29 pm »

Same. I've met a dwarf from one of my old forts, who attacked me on sight (I was a human, but our civs weren't at war...) and killed me.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21193 on: March 25, 2012, 07:40:18 pm »

How do you ever go find your fort? I never was able to do that.

I haven't tried yet, but I made finding my fort pretty easy. Between Legends Viewer, and the fact I parked it directly on top of a major civ highway 1-tile outside of a town.....if I can't find it, it ain't there. The whole first level of the fort is built from the stones I ripped out of the civ highway.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 07:42:19 pm by nenjin »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21194 on: March 25, 2012, 08:06:09 pm »

I usually make an adventurer in a nearby civ and then just repeatedly ask about the surroundings.  Eventually somebody will mention the fortress, then it's just a matter of opening the Quest screen and looking for the site.

Ambush squad attacked my fortress late.  I had already taken out their earlier buddies and called the all clear, my head miner stumbled across a crossbow squad.

I imediately assigned him a tomb, thinking he was a goner and then decided that a pick oughta make a good weapon and drafted him.  Maybe he'll take down one or two.

He then batted 7(!) goblin arrows out of the air, went into a martial trance, charged the goblin squad leader and embedded his pick in his skull on his first attack.  The rest of the crossbow squad immediately turned tail and ran, my head miner close behind completely unharmed.   I heard storied of the badassery of miners, but....wow.  Maybe next fortress I should make my entire military miners and arm them with pickaxes.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 1411 1412 [1413] 1414 1415 ... 3839