Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1409 1410 [1411] 1412 1413 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120186 times)

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #21150 on: March 25, 2012, 05:18:08 am »

Well Bronzephrase is coming along nicely. We now have over 80 citizens. One of them turned out to be a vampire. My hammerer didnt have any hammers to use after one of my founding 7 dwarves caught it in the middle of feeding. So they punched the thing till its everything was broken. Its miraculous healing abilities giving away its secret. A month later the thing had no injuries to speak of. Except its thoughts saying "Suffered major injuries lately". So I promptly drafted this one into the militia. Vamp army is a go! With the constant waves of migrants it should have plenty of "Cattle" to sate its thirst for blood. Apparently one of my masons decided to engrave the dining hall repeatedly with pictures of the vampire feeding from one of its victims.

VAMPIRE CULT FORTRESS! I shall make him a baron when I get the chance.

The farming levels also now churn out every surface and underground crop I have found so far. Sadly no sunshine so far. I don't think they grow here even though featherwood does. No unicorn yet either. Plenty of animal people and giant magpies to kill though.

Bastus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21151 on: March 25, 2012, 08:08:05 am »

Everything was good.
I had plenty of food. My Clothing Industry was working perfect. I had more gold and steel than I could ever need.
And what happens?
4 Pages of Goblins on Alligators.  :o
And of courste at least the half of them was equiped with crossbows.

Time for restart. *sigh*

« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 08:11:25 am by Bastus »

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21152 on: March 25, 2012, 08:44:19 am »

A kobold thief tried to break in but in inexplicably took a detour into the marksdwarf barracks. This is a great idea when all the marksdwarves have no ammo. It's a terrible idea when I've reassigned a Hammer Lord to the squad to teach them close combat.

splat
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21153 on: March 25, 2012, 09:23:33 am »

Everything was good.
I had plenty of food. My Clothing Industry was working perfect. I had more gold and steel than I could ever need.
And what happens?

Time for restart. *sigh*

You had steel. They didn't. Why didn't you kill them?
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Nogan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21154 on: March 25, 2012, 09:32:28 am »

Tried making a waterfall for the first time.  I accounted for the reservoir by digging a tunnel to the edge of the map, forgetting that dwarves do not dig through the final layer of rock on the edge.  Entire fort flooded.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21155 on: March 25, 2012, 10:07:20 am »

Finally have time to generate a new world for the next RabbitHut in 34.06

Hopefully I'll have time to play today too  :-\

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21156 on: March 25, 2012, 10:56:21 am »

FInally got around to killing those bug-people. It was a fittingly spectacular mess when the whole group came splattering to the ground.

They fell far enough to explode, somall those small bits are of course various limbs and guts.

FPS went up considerably.

How would you reccomend building an execution tower like this? I have the idea of just channeling a big pit in my mountain over a retractable bridge.
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.

Kimril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21157 on: March 25, 2012, 11:15:50 am »

Well a while ago i discovered my Mayor was a vampire, I was cool with it he was a pretty good mayor and now hes a Baron, occasionally he takes too much blood out of his loyal subjects but ah well.

Just a second ago i got a message saying

The Werelizard Zulast Tamodoz has come! A large lizard twisted into humanoid form. It is crazed for blood and flesh. Its eyes glow green. Its sandy taupe scales are blocky and close-set. Now you will know why you fear the night.

Needless to say i shat myself but then i get the message

Zulast Tamodozo, Werelizard has transformed into an amphibian woman!

I look on the unit list and Zulast is now a frendly amphibian woman.

Thanks Zulast you gave me a bloody heartattack

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #21158 on: March 25, 2012, 11:37:23 am »

The fort copperdusted has decided to start a proud tradition of falconry. An owl, a kestrel and a peregrin have been added to the available animals...

___

It would seriously be fun if they could bring in bunnies and such, but I guess that's on a wish list. However, map, can you bloody well send me something worth my time? all I get is birds too small to even slaughter.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21159 on: March 25, 2012, 12:06:12 pm »

Tried making a waterfall for the first time.  I accounted for the reservoir by digging a tunnel to the edge of the map, forgetting that dwarves do not dig through the final layer of rock on the edge.  Entire fort flooded.

Just because you can't dig through the final edge doesn't mean your theory wasn't sound. What you could've done was dig to the very end and then d-s to smooth and after that d-a to carve fortifications in the edge. Water (and, hopefully, magma) will flood out through the fortifications, sparing you a lot of grief. Might be worth remembering for next time.  :P

As for my own fort, I embarked on a volcano. It soon acquired a magma crab so I devised a way of using magma without getting shot at. It is functional now. I dug a system of channels similar (but inverse) to the floorplans I usually use to cover a volcano, I then placed a basalt floodgate at the end closest to magma, linked it up with basalt mechanisms and channeled out the tile in front.

In short, we have magma power and we're safe. Glee.

With a drain to get rid of magma in case I want to expand or use it for execution purposes. :P
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Stil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21160 on: March 25, 2012, 12:25:09 pm »

Was worried my military dorfs would go nuts because everyones unhappy with the new fort at the moment. Thankfully slaughtering a host of keamen cheered em up no end :D
"This in particular, simply because it's so siggable." Ironyowl

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21161 on: March 25, 2012, 12:27:21 pm »

The fort copperdusted has decided to start a proud tradition of falconry. An owl, a kestrel and a peregrin have been added to the available animals...

I first read that last as "penguin" for some reason, which brought to mind a whole new, odd image of falconry.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21162 on: March 25, 2012, 12:32:01 pm »

I first read that last as "penguin" for some reason, which brought to mind a whole new, odd image of falconry.
It's a well known fact that penguins are the bird of choice for advanced falconers.  Only the truly skilled attempt the daunting task.
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #21163 on: March 25, 2012, 12:34:16 pm »

Marblehalls just had its first big siege: 64 goblins & 24 trolls . . . and my cages swallowed all of them, without a single dwarven injury. The local goblin civilization's war leader is now on a pedestal in the exact center of my 3z-level legendary dining hall. He won't stay there forever, though: I imagine his red eyes, prominent chin, and somewhat tall ears might put a few of my dwarves off their feed, so before long he'll be sent to the killing floor. Not to die, of course--he'll just stand there, still caged, while all of his kinsfolk are pitted down on top of my waiting military. I wonder how much blood will spatter the cage.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21164 on: March 25, 2012, 12:35:09 pm »

Everything was good.
And what happens?

Time for restart. *sigh*

You had steel. They didn't. Why didn't you kill them?
I imagine the "half of them was equipped with crossbows" part. A single bolt can easily cause someone to be overcome with pain, which far more than what it takes for an alligator large enough to carry a goblin to bite a dwarf's head off.

I usually try to draw in ranged attackers into a tight area, so that all my stabby stuff hits them before their shooty stuff hits me.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 1409 1410 [1411] 1412 1413 ... 3842