Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1403 1404 [1405] 1406 1407 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124163 times)

breadman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #21060 on: March 23, 2012, 04:24:15 pm »

Razorpacked just got its largest migration wave yet, with 23 adults and 14 children.  Fortunately, I had just finished another floor of 28 bedrooms.

Perhaps it had something to do with trading a bunch of exceptional porcelain statues and a few stacks of masterwork meals for all sorts of cages, bars, weapons, armor, steel, and anvils.  Perhaps it had something to do with deciding to keep our distance from the homeland.

Meanwhile, the giant tick we bought from the elves died of old age, and rotted right next to the butcher's shop.  Perhaps they were too busy with all of the giant swallows and giant crows, or perhaps it just wasn't butcherable.

A four-year-old decided to make a bone grate.  I'm slightly upset about the kaolinite and rock crystal, but my bone carvers are now backlogged enough that I'm less annoyed about the two large stacks of bone than I had been.  Sometime, I'll even get around to installing that thing; I'm hoping to catch the kiwi men and weasel women who like to dive down the 9-z waterfall.
Quote from: Kevin Wayne, in r.g.r.n
Is a "diety" the being pictured by one of those extremely skinny aboriginal statues?

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21061 on: March 23, 2012, 05:15:05 pm »

The following excerpt is from the journal of Zulban Dorennefek. Expedition and Militia Leader of the town of Kilrudsokan

It is now late spring of the year 902 by our reckoning. Progress on the fort is speeding up drastically. In the summer and autumn we had 5 incomers. The extra labor was greatly welcomed. The mountain homes sent their first caravan and we traded what surplus strawberry wine we had and some bonecrafts in exchange for more mining picks. Which were desperately needed. I placed orders for Iron, copper and bronze. As we have only found tin so far. But at least well have half decent materials to arm a much needed militia with.

Over the course of the winter and spring we completed the new farm level. Dug straight into the soil level. With room for stockpiling years worth of raw and finished food and drink should the we need it. With plenty of self contained fields and workshops for Cooks, brewers and butchers to do their work. The main workshop area further down and the grand inner entrance are finally carved from the bones of the earth. And production of crafts, furniture and storage has begun with help of the massive group of new migrants that the Spring brought us. Whilst its a strain on our current food supply. Once the farms are running we will have plenty surplus again. The tower keeps ground level walls and floor are now complete. Once the drawbridge is built and a ditch dug under it well have some measure of safety.

As I write this we are beginning the second phase of construction. Dining halls, finished food and drink silos and a barracks are being worked on. Including a crossbow range. As half a contingent of crossbowdwarves came in the last group. I will be making a priority to see them suitably equipped to be useful in that role. As things are going. Well be pretty nicely dug in. With plenty of stone to start expanding the tower.

Also I noticed bees are aplenty here. I must see if we can get some hives built. It's been ages since I've had some good royal jelly with my Longland Beer..
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 05:19:05 pm by Lexx »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21062 on: March 23, 2012, 06:31:44 pm »

Finally barred the spiders from attacking my settelment from the south, which coincidently also helped prepare one of my killzones. Just a matter of detection and letting any future agressors into a shooting gallery; Whoever my riflemen fail to kill My Avatar will lead the clean-up crew out to polish them off.

On the upside, the constant spider atacks are giving me a huge pool of emergency recruits, as the spiders can take a beating, but individually against humans they're little more than punching bags. Hell I have a damn baby with novice striker skill cause it helped mommy dearest beat a spider to death. I think I have nearly a dozen civvies with unarmed combat ability now. Once I get the hang of making coke from rockcrete I'll be able to make proper guns and enough ammo to let my rifleteams actually get some range time.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21063 on: March 23, 2012, 06:40:20 pm »

Warm, murk, joyous wilds. Two giant sponges in the stream when I arrived. First winter just came, everything flash-froze midwinter.

Giant sponges are muerte. :P
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21064 on: March 23, 2012, 07:09:00 pm »

Well, if you ignore the fact that my fort is really hard to get to, has no way of farming (as of now), and looks like a mess, you could say that I'm scraping by. I'm having my Jeweler cut some jewels right now.
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.

Chagen46

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21065 on: March 23, 2012, 07:21:59 pm »

Wierd. I can grow Plump helmets on SAND. How...
Great! my fps improved significantly and now my sewer is full of corpses like it should be.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21066 on: March 23, 2012, 07:36:36 pm »

Farming just requires soil now. You only need to irrigate unmuddy stone/the surface (though you can channel down a level to not need the irrigating sometimes)

I personally recommend quarry bushes, though i don't use them myself. I always forget to process the things.Now if we could just plant trees..... It'd be the ultimate insult to elves.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21067 on: March 23, 2012, 07:42:14 pm »

Im currently staring at the animals screen in awe, this new system is great.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #21068 on: March 23, 2012, 09:14:35 pm »

Farming just requires soil now. You only need to irrigate unmuddy stone/the surface (though you can channel down a level to not need the irrigating sometimes)

I personally recommend quarry bushes, though i don't use them myself. I always forget to process the things.Now if we could just plant trees..... It'd be the ultimate insult to elves.

yup, kept away from quarry bushes. My foodstufs were worth about 3k dwarfbucks anyway. Now, time to try...

alright, honestly, before this, by the time I got to serious planting, dwarves had eaten all the nuts usually.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21069 on: March 23, 2012, 09:19:03 pm »

Must be like sunflower seeds to us.

You'd think they'd know better- Oh wait, Dwarves....

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21070 on: March 23, 2012, 09:32:44 pm »

Well, I moved my current fort over to the new version, and it's had an interesting effect:
ALL THE CHILDREN ARE INSANE!
EVERY.  SINGLE.  ONE.  (nah, it's actually just ten or so of them)

They all suddenly realized they were naked, and sunk into depression.  I've already lost two to berserk rages (the children went berserk, my military put them down), but I did at least get a macabre mood (that's the one where they're "brooding darkly," right?) out of it.  Plus, I was beginning to worry about overpopulation, and now I don't have to.  Everybody (by which I mean me) wins!
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #21071 on: March 23, 2012, 10:33:32 pm »

Well that deserves a bug report...

I'm currently searching the succession world for a good embark site and making plans for what I will actually do with said embark.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21072 on: March 23, 2012, 10:38:00 pm »

Kicking into overdrive to sustain the archology megastructure world.

Turns out dwarves are an endangered species in that world.  No new migrants.

Rennovating for the babybooms I will need, and building the infrastructures to feed and clothe them.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21073 on: March 23, 2012, 11:40:25 pm »

Due to thier erratic cross-z-level flight hurting my FPS, I am about to punish all thirpsmen by removing thier flight tag.

First .06 fortress is moving smoothly. I plan to try and instagate both thriving trade and massive attacks, and try and catch larger beasties for my armed forces.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21074 on: March 23, 2012, 11:57:56 pm »

Yay! Just started a fortress in 34.06, may its save file never be obsolete!

Yay! A were-goat just ambushed & killed the fuck out of my expedition leader, turned into a cave fish man, and fled (above ground)!

Dwarf Fortress!
Pages: 1 ... 1403 1404 [1405] 1406 1407 ... 3842