Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1402 1403 [1404] 1405 1406 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124359 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #21045 on: March 23, 2012, 06:11:08 am »

I'd make each different room color coded. So you have one room with 100% blue furniture, the next room 100% red, etc.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21046 on: March 23, 2012, 07:11:10 am »

Currently embarking on a joyous wilds with the new edition to make the most of sunshine berries now being accessible properly again. As well as the hopes of taming and farming Unicorns. Between these two industries and their byproducts it should keep the dwarves happy for food and be great exports. Currently though the main issue is seeing how far down the aquifer goes. Then bypassing or punching through it as applicable.

Also lots of feather tree to be cut down and used! Might stockpile that off to the side and decide what Ill make from it at a later date. Otherwise the basecamp is going fine. My main military dwarf is practicing his sword skills on the local animal people and wild life. As is a hunter I brought along. Brought some granite to tide me over till the aquifers passed. Going to set up traps for unicorns soon as possible. Then the testing out of the new taming mechanics can begin. Also brought some dogs to breed to practice animal training on.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21047 on: March 23, 2012, 08:13:13 am »

My dwarves know a few facts about taming the kea menace. Cool, I guess.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #21048 on: March 23, 2012, 08:18:14 am »

My 180108 years old vampire mayor who I locked in her room was taken by a fey mood.
So I unlocked the door and let her out. And I read the thought:

'Dracul' Lalturdegel has been quite content lately. She was upset that a criminal  could not be properly punished. She was upset by having a mandate ignored lately. She admired own fine Cabinet lately.

It is funny she was upset by some unpunished criminal, because the only criminal I recall was she drained a neighbour.  :P

And this vampire claimed a craftsdwarf's workshop lately and started collecting some bones for her work. Wonder what she's making.

'Dracul' Lalturdegel, Mayor has created Dobarbabin, a water baffalo bone mace!

Here's the list of what she claimed:

Stray Water Baffalo Calf right horn bone [16]
Stray Rooster left floating rib bone [4]
Stray Mule left floating rib bone [14]
gneiss
oval granite cabochons
rough moonstones x 2
(brass bars)
(trifle pewter bars)
(draltha leather)

« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 08:22:09 am by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21049 on: March 23, 2012, 08:24:46 am »

Hungry head in my third cavern. Two at first. When my first marksdwarf arrived, six more showed up and he fought off 8 hungry heads while his squad captain arrived.

Meleedwarf Zon Fokermeng arrived as well, killed a hungry head and fell off a ledge, landing head-first 4 floors lower. Dead as a damn doornail. His captain is now killing the last heads.

Both my first marksdwarf (slightly bruised) and the meleecaptain have hit a hungry head in the teeth. Hitting a hungry head in a specific (right eye tooth) tooth helps and knocks it out but hitting them in teeth plural is hilarious. Marksdwarf punched one in the teeth, result: loose teeth (1 or two on most squares, 7 on a single specific one) flying everywhere, even up a z-level and on the wall.
Swordscaptain punched one with his buckler, result: 4 squares. Two with one tooth each, one with two and one with 13 loose teeth and a presumably toothless hungry head flapping about.

Another bismuth bronze buckler bash bruised a bone and the pale head died of a severe case of alliteration.

edit: I forgot to mention yet another tooth that was still in mid-air, two squares with a single tooth each a z-level higher and a set of three and a single tooth still floating in the air above the now deceased head.

edit again: they're not floating in mid-air they're on top of a tunnel tube and a spore tree respectively.

edit3: last hungry head was so severely injured it resembled a hunch of raw meat more than it did a living being. Nevertheless, it woke up from unconciousness and started chasing my legendary armoursmith. I wasn't worried as the armorer ran towards my war dogs.

6 dogs, only one attacked and then missed. Useless mutts. Head kept chasing armorer. Dogs quit chasing head. I was frightened my smith would fall down a ledge and die like Zon did. But no. Armorer got fed up with the head, spun around and punched it in the wing thusly sending it, stunned, careening off the same ledge before smacking rather solidly into a spore tree.

Armorer has a kill.

edit4: with the heads dead, a blind cave ogre showed up. Closest dwarf was my high master axedwarf. She killed the ogre.

A jabberer showed up, same spot. Attack. Militia commander (same dwarf) got stunned and continuously attacked. I sent in other dwarfs. Militia commander got her foot bit off. Jabberer was slain by swordsdwarf and a war dog. MCom got picked up, brought to hospital a hundred floors up. Mason, who likes to help, diagnosed her. Gave her a crutch, shoo'ed her out of bed and went to sleep in the same bed. Footless pale super-soldier hobbled off to clean herself. I really, really hope that bite was as clean and neat as my dabbling diagnoser thought it was. I may have given her an electrum tomb but I don't want to put her in it quite yet.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 09:01:17 am by AWdeV »
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21050 on: March 23, 2012, 09:27:01 am »

Update on Bronzephrase.

The following excerpt is from the journal of Zulban Dorennefek. Expedition and Militia Leader of the town of Kilrudsokan

Armok be praised! The thrice damned Aquifer wasn't as deep as we worried it was. Dodok our miner supervised the dropping of  a massive block of channeled earth to punch clean through the layer of water. With no injuries as a result of it. Never have I thought I'd be so pleased to see the sight of shale in all my days. Now we have a clear go at digging deeper and seeing what the deeps might bring us. As well as plenty of materials to build with. I plan to get the masons to start work  on some sort of tower fortifications once were settled in.

Clearing the forest nearby goes apace. There is plenty of fine timber. Including the fabled Featherwood. I have ordered it be set aside for special use due to its rarity. The plant gatherers have failed to find sunshine berries so far. But we have plenty of whip vines, strawberries and prickle berries to brew in the mean time to keep us going. I also took to hunting down a giant grasshopper. Luckily it was caught unawares and now well have meat aplenty to tide us over. Kosoth the hunter finally came back from his prolonged hunting trip. Dragging a giant slug of all things! The butcher made good use of it and our stocks should last us a few months. Even if any migrants show.

No sign of any unicorns yet. But we will be having traps placed for when they do show up. Lot's of animal people though in this land. I personally put down several tick people that strayed too close to the edge of our camp. Hopefully the other animal people will get the message from their dead bodies left behind.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 09:29:17 am by Lexx »

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21051 on: March 23, 2012, 10:31:59 am »

We are now a Barony!
Sieges are still not providing much challenge.
Epic Baroness is one of our best warriors too.
Im starting on a magma-pump-stack from the Magma-Sea all the way up to ground level, thanks to all the goblinite i have plenty of iron for the pumps. Going to include resivoir-levels on the way up.
Drowing trap needs improvement in the mean time.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21052 on: March 23, 2012, 11:00:05 am »

Apparently animal taming has quality modifiers. I have a kea that's -trained-.

I got sieged. I forgot to link the drawbridge to a lever and after one dwarf died, everyone rushed out to grab his stuff. I quickly made a burrow. Some civilians died, but my 5-dwarf danger room trained military beat the goblins with no casualties.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 11:10:05 am by jaxy15 »

prim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21053 on: March 23, 2012, 11:10:44 am »

built a 10 tile long quadriple waterfall to keep my dwarves happy, as they were quite unhappy recently.

apparently if the water falls on them from that distance they aren't happy, especially if they get injured and contaminate the whole water with blood :)

also, my miner channeled into a 2 tile high room, and got himself all dirty with red stuff, he didn't like that. heck he's even gone missing

last but not least, i've salvaged their happiness just by giving them drinks and something to eat, turns out eating vermin is not their favourite food
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 11:21:43 am by prim »
I'm wondering what the hell the neighboring necromancer was thinking when he named his stupid slab "Droolsluts the Anuses of Piss".

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #21054 on: March 23, 2012, 11:30:33 am »

Caged a dragon who lost one of its paw(?) for unknown reason, perhaps it was done by some random adventurer, heh.

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21055 on: March 23, 2012, 11:36:41 am »

Goddamn, Geniussmiths my adept metalcrafting mechanic managed to build a wall that blocked his own way out. Should not be the biggest problem, just remove the construction or finish the floor leading up to it.

Ah. No. Creeping eyes. They interrupt anyone trying to get close to remove/build and they're really tough to shoot. First there were two, one in the same spot as my (then sleeping) mechanic who attacked him. He's now getting thirsty and the todgers still aren't gone and he still can't leave because everybody else keeps stealing his remove construction job.

augh there is seven now.

I'm kinda bored with this fort anyway. So I'm leaving. The caverns here were a fucking disgrace. (one ore total; galena. Only gems to be found on the way to and in the third cavern? Citrine) Eff that noise.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 11:39:53 am by AWdeV »
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #21056 on: March 23, 2012, 03:14:51 pm »

I also learned that his child was kidnapped by goblins at some point in the past, though I don't remember them going missing
Migrants are historical figures now. Perhaps the child was kidnapped before he migrated?
I don't think so, trying to zoom on the child shows me a spot just outside my pillbox and there've been multiple previous references in engravings to the abduction of the wee dwarf.

That and I've since had 2 children snatched from my fort without the snatcher ever being caught. :)

Also, one of my macedwarves just named his exceptional iron mace Kadanvashzud, "The Impervious Disembowelment". It's got 7 kills, the latest being a forgotten beast in the form of a gull.

The form of a gull?  What was it going to do, steal their sandwiches and fried chicken?
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21057 on: March 23, 2012, 03:17:47 pm »

I got 4 dralthas and managed to train them. They eat too much, though. I'm gonna butcher them and get a lot of food.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #21058 on: March 23, 2012, 03:23:00 pm »

I just started a fort with the updated version, so nothing exciting yet.  I do know I have one hell of a deep river, and a stingray swum up from the ocean and is just chilling now.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21059 on: March 23, 2012, 03:58:49 pm »

A leatherworker got possessed, took a bunch of materials, and made a dog leather mask. I'm scared.
Pages: 1 ... 1402 1403 [1404] 1405 1406 ... 3842