Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6109580 times)

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #2100 on: April 09, 2010, 06:47:38 pm »

I'm mostly holding off on the new version until some of the bugs get ironed out, but I did play a fort long enough to dig down into the local underworld. Breached into an area which is mostly an underground lake/ocean. (Which is cool, that's a definite improvement!) No living things roaming around, but there are lots of spider webs. Giant spider webs. Urk.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: April 09, 2010, 08:39:26 pm »

Forbidding isn't necessary. Just make a uniform with the specific class of armor you want them to use. (If you have a lot of bronze armor, specify bronze, if you have iron, specify iron)

Should have been clearer - I already specified Steel material, and then exact matches after noticing the problem. They still equip copper and iron.

Forbidding all non-steel is a stop-gap until that's fixed. If I had the fuel to spare, I'd solve the multi-equip through over-production. Might go on a coal hunt and do that anyway - be easier if the surface wasn't too hazardous with all those lurking gobbo ambush squads. Wish I had more thieving animals to clean up after the murdered caravans.

See how the goblins like that legendary axedwarf/fighter Militia Commander with three layers of steel plate and chain, five steel battle axes in his right hand, and two steel shields in his left.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: April 09, 2010, 08:52:41 pm »

I'm currently mining rooms and constructing cavernous walkways across a deep pit.

Right now, I'm working on offices, since I have none yet, commoner bedroom level is mostly done though!

I just hope I won't encounter a flying cavern creature...
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: April 09, 2010, 09:29:28 pm »

"An animal has become a war tiger". Wut? :o This is unmodded version. I bought my tiger from the elves.

And I finally got a proper DF Acceletator benchmark: 60+ dwarves, 4x4 embark, ~40fps -> 60fps+ for me. Nice.

Hmm...I wonder if I can make war monkeys.

*edit* Ooh, and totally weird. Some metalsmith had a mood, used only 1 iron bar as ingredient, and got a "spiker iron ball" -artifact worth 163 200. Hmm, I guess 1-item artifacts can be good too.

*2nd edit* 2nd war tiger! A war jaguar! I got a war elephant!. I kinda like this. Really like this. My animal trainer is The Man.

Hmm...I wonder if that "war"-status has any effect. ....aaand there it goes. I officially have war-monkeys.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 09:45:06 pm by Mandaril »
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: April 09, 2010, 09:53:45 pm »

I got a war elephant!

Use your powers for good and not evil.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: April 09, 2010, 10:07:24 pm »

Bigbridge the Stone-Arch of Crossing is still nowhere near bridginess, especially as I haven't dug down to granite, my framerate is shit (not surprising considering it's a 2x8 embark) and...yeah, framerate is the main issue.

Yes, I tried Baughn's DF Accelerator a few days ago. Slowdown on the title screen. If it's been recoded since, tell me.

I am also going to switch over to the new version as soon as I find out how to fix the raws. At least one player has reported a significant increase in FPS, so hopefully I will as well.

Intelligent Shade of Blue

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity Loss: 0/1d4 points
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: April 10, 2010, 01:24:33 am »

Finally got the time to really start a fort in the new version: Faithcoals!

Embarked in a warm jungle/mountain area, where it seems all the layers so far are mostly diorite. The river is 9 tiles wide, so i decided to use it as a natural barrier to the entrance of my fortress. Of course as the dwarves were clearing out rocks to build a bridge to where I wanted the entrance a cave-in occured. And of course the only dwarf that got injured was the doctor...

So, I quickly built a tiny bridge across the river, dug into the loam hill where I was planning to strike the earth, and set up a small hospital with a bed and some related healthcare stockpiles. The doctor's foot and ankle were broken, but one of the farmers managed to clean and suture the wound. Now the doc's bones are just fractured, but it doesn't look like he'll be getting up until I get some plaster for a cast. Of course, the lack of sedimentary layers makes the chances of me finding gypsum rather low...

So while I wait for a caravan in the hopes of it bringing plaster powder, I've set my other dwarves to digging out a central shaft and a basic dormitory, dining hall, and trade hall... The central shaft didn't quite go down as far as I had hoped, as a water-filled cavern was soon pierced from the top (and quickly sealed with a hatch).

Luckily no more accidents have occurred... yet. A pack of gorillas wandered by my temporary entrance (right near where the make-shift hospital is), so I was worried an ape attack was imminent. They wandered off without incident, to the relief of the crippled doctor.
[COLOR:PRUSSIAN_BLUE]
[NAME:ISoB]
[RGB:0:49:83]

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: April 10, 2010, 04:36:24 am »

Update on my war-animal-zoo I put up (not a "Zoo" as in a room in fortress tho :P).

The animals really did hold up their own against a goblin ambush that came (of course my traps and soldiers helped too). Only monkey had some problems, others survived pretty much without a scratch. I really should buy some more animals.

This far what I've been able to war-train are "Big Cats" (Tigers etc.), Mandarills and Elephants. I wonder if I'm able to find more. They make pretty nice guards.
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

Peasant

• Bay Watcher
  • MANY WHELPS NOW HANDLE IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: April 10, 2010, 05:40:23 am »

There's a giant rat harassing my dwarves inside the fortress. It has managed to scratch a dog already! My wrestlerdwarf has some wounds too, although the rat is seriously wounded with smashed incisors/paws whatnot. Oh lord! There's a giant olm in my base! He killed the useless dyer, now he's got a badass name. Aggaltirist, "Traprim". A horse foal suffered minor injuries, the wrestler has many scars and old wounds. A miner is lying in a bed unconscious, pale with a torn open leg and head.

Also mandaril, you're my hero.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 05:54:12 am by Peasant »

Nakanja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: April 10, 2010, 07:51:50 am »

I thought my corridor of giant axe blades would be enough to keep out invaders, so I neglected my military.  Then I just watched a bunch of goblins walk straight through unharmed.  The report said they blocked them with their silk cloaks.  Perhaps glass wasn't the best thing to make them out of. 

So now the Dwarves are abandoning the fort and heading into the Deep Mines, which are sealed behind three layers of doors and stone fall traps.  I was worried about what might come out of the caverns, but maybe now it can keep the Dwarves in until they can train up to take the fort back. 

Or could just have the last Dwarf out pierce the aquifer and let the goblins learn to swim if they want to take the place... yeah I'll do that instead.

Glod Glodsson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: April 10, 2010, 10:25:15 am »

I am wondering if the cats can read my mind... was going to kill the only male cat to ensure no more catsplosion... just as I am about to pause this message pops up:
Lorbam ..., Stray Cat has adopted Urist McDorf, Animal Disector [my butcher!]

Now I am wondering if I should chance it... it says he loves cats but... well... I dont want no more cats damn it! they are everywhere due to me spending all my time on these massive immigrant waves.
DF Wisdom: Just because Urist killed a dragon bare handed, while in his birthday suit, does not mean he does not enjoy a cat meat bruschetta served with a keg of strawberry wine.

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: April 10, 2010, 11:05:18 am »

I got a war elephant!

Use your powers for awesomeness and not practicality.

fixed that for you
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: April 10, 2010, 11:14:43 am »

Update on my war-animal-zoo I put up (not a "Zoo" as in a room in fortress tho :P).

The animals really did hold up their own against a goblin ambush that came (of course my traps and soldiers helped too). Only monkey had some problems, others survived pretty much without a scratch. I really should buy some more animals.

This far what I've been able to war-train are "Big Cats" (Tigers etc.), Mandarills and Elephants. I wonder if I'm able to find more. They make pretty nice guards.

Just trained me some war Grizzly Bears. Sadly, the Cougar, Black Bears, and Alligators don't seem to be war trainable. I think I'll turn my army of bears against the elves once they bring me a breeding pair...

MooUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: April 10, 2010, 01:09:04 pm »

So I shifted my 3rd fort over to the 0.31.02 release, and replaced the raws in the save with the new raws to get cookable meat, etc.

This fort seems to be self-sustaining now, particularly if I started using my huge dog and cow herds for food rather than mostly ignoring them. However, goblins ambushes do keep appearing with the human and dwarf caravans (there are no elves, it seems). My military is not as succesful as I'd hope.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: April 10, 2010, 01:20:45 pm »

That one-legged former soldier whose baby died of thirst had another one, a boy. Obviously her husband still thought she was attactive ehem, to put it more dwarfly, it seems that when she lost her leg, at least her spore sack didn't get cut off as well.

The baby later died of thirst.

Fort is also starting overflow with animals and for some reason my butcher won't slaughter them. Also had to rebuild my butchery outside because the one inside kept silently canceling the Butcher an Animal order(though I did have job cancel announcements turned off at the time). Still waiting for them to render the Marsh Titan's fat.

Also ended up with a huge stack of bones from that Titan, so to help get rid of them I ordered a huge number of decoration and bolt jobs, after about 6 of them being completed I get a Needs Bones messages. They used a stack of over 90 bones to decorate a single object, and I don't know what, either. What would be the value on something like that?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 3842