Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5969504 times)

Kyrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #210 on: November 12, 2009, 09:21:38 pm »

I'm going to murder my dwarves if I get one more stonecraft artifact.

Mini-forge. Idol. Ring. At least the ring was worth over 10,000, unlike the other two(having materials other than "rock" and "shell" probably helped.). I know it's because EVERYONE(or at least the otherwise-useless immigrants) has some Engraver skill from my mass apartment smoothing project, but couldn't DF have picked one of the people with masonry skill? Or some sort of smithing? At least only the first mood was a posession(I got SO MANY of those last fort).

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 12, 2009, 10:50:44 pm »

Ha, I never have that problem.

Any dwarf that is unoccupied gets a custom job designation of "peon," which involves hauling, masonry, and architecture. After about three years of cranking out mountains of blocks and building massive constructions, most of my Peons are at least Competent masons.

As a result, the vast majority of my artifacts are Mason-type artifacts. Only 5 of 14 artifacts are not "build-able" items like furniture or the like. Also, I have something like 5 legendary masons.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Skooma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 13, 2009, 12:03:40 am »

5th year. Count arrived and already imposing upon us all. Already banned the export of earrings, one of our chief exports, at least she will be easier to please as far as mandates go. If not for this she would be dead. Brought 24 migrants with her. Created a new 4 man squad from this. Ambush took one a peasant hanging around the quarry.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #213 on: November 13, 2009, 02:02:17 am »

Working on improving the plumbing and water system inside the fort. So far not going so well. Fort nearly died of thirst in the winter when a sudden freeze came and knocked out the water supply.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 13, 2009, 05:50:35 am »

If your dwarfs are drinking water, you're doing it wrong. Stop torturing them like that; get them booze. Besides, dwarfs go on break more if they don't have booze.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

docawesome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 13, 2009, 06:02:30 am »

First year, found Adamantine for the first time as well as a huge gold vein and one of my dwaves made: (not knowing how to take a picture) a roach bone two handed sword called Sunsucker the Abyss Sword of Darkness.  with the same sword carved onto it.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 13, 2009, 06:07:40 am »

One odd thing I had once was that my dwarves ignored the massive booze supply to drink from the carp infested river.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #217 on: November 13, 2009, 06:29:25 am »

If your dwarfs are drinking water, you're doing it wrong. Stop torturing them like that; get them booze. Besides, dwarfs go on break more if they don't have booze.

let me phrase it another way. nearly thirsted to death because of bad crops and the fact that giant mole rats had chewed on my woodcutters and the other guys who'd gone to get wood.

docawesome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 13, 2009, 06:42:43 am »

Using legendary lands mod so now I guess I am watching the hobgoblin representative from a human civ destroy all my stuff and my dwafs cant stop him because he is a super badd ass while I only have about twenty dwafs none of them are able to do anything about this.

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 13, 2009, 10:57:58 am »

Any dwarf that is unoccupied gets a custom job designation of "peon," which involves hauling, masonry, and architecture. After about three years of cranking out mountains of blocks and building massive constructions, most of my Peons are at least Competent masons.
That's certainly the thing to do.  But it doesn't save you from Craftsdwarf Artifacts when you have 250+ population and 100+ of them are children, not without cheating anyhow.

I've set up a trap-maze spiral outside my wide, wide walls, at the center of which is a stockpile containing useless artifacts like crowns, scepters, & whatnot.  The traps are to keep the goblins out.  The plan is that the kobolds will clean the crap out for me.

I have little doubt that I will find this to have been a poor choice.
<thumbs up gesture with wide grin>
ΘπÆ┼
What are you doing in my home?
It's a difficult question to answer.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 13, 2009, 11:38:04 am »

i have a nice valley between 2 canyons. Currently I'm working on digging passages to the other canyon and moving all my industries there,aswell as start making silk and obsidian. So the original canyon will be for defence operations,living quarters,different halls and room,everything social and house the operations room for my top secret project.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Xogrim

• Bay Watcher
  • A superlative suggestion, sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 13, 2009, 02:42:19 pm »

Started out in a Sinister Rocky Waste. Things were going well until the summer of the third year. Had a large group of Goblin Ambushers show up, manage to fight them off, but they killed around five of my dwarves. This in turn caused my very first Tantrum Spiral. Around fifteen dwarves started to go into tantrums and that turned into around twenty-five dwarves going into tantrums. Managed to huddle my non-tantrumed dwarves into the main Dining hall until the Tantrum dwarves died of thirst. Right now, I'm just hoping the rest don't go insane from their deaths
Never trust an Elf, thrusting a sword into them works so much better.

Izual6764

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 13, 2009, 02:51:04 pm »

So, my cook got taken by fey mood, and he wants rough gems. Not a big deal, but i don't want him dead. I think i will dig the entire z-level looking for gems, and paralyse whole work in the entire fortress, because im too lasy to turn off rock hauling labors. Also, I want to finally dig to magma. I think it will be lots of Fun, since it's my first sort of succesful fortress. That's why I have to screw it all up, of course. ;D

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #223 on: November 13, 2009, 03:33:48 pm »

Finished my plumbing problems. the channels I dug for the water that lead to massive water falls will very soon be my burial halls. Should be interesting :3

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 13, 2009, 03:47:56 pm »

The 6th year of Drivenroof saw the fall of 7 goblin local leaders, and the capture of one.

The goblin Macelord is now the main attraction of our brand new zoo :D

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 3839