Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1393 1394 [1395] 1396 1397 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120608 times)

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #20910 on: March 20, 2012, 05:06:08 am »

With the curtain wall reduced in diameter and a magma moat dug around it, plus four gatehouses installed each with a squad of 10 dwarves all in steel armour and trained in a danger-room, I am now working on building a magma-cast tower in the middle of the fortress.
I'm making my method up as I go, but I think I've got the hang of it.

Weirdly enough, the last time I started the fortress up a flash-fire started on the east side of the map, burning up what remaining grass existed outside of the fortress walls.
Boltssaved is really becoming a blasted hell-hole of dwarven industrial pollution. And I love it :D

prim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20911 on: March 20, 2012, 05:28:40 am »

so in the 3rd year my first caravan finally arrives (no idea what happened to first 2), and i still got nothing to trade, oh well better luck next time

also no migrants in that time (didnt attract any), then suddenly BANG, a wave of 38 migrants to compliment my current group of 8.

finally get my first mood after all that, guy claims a leatherworks, grabs all the gray langur leather he can then waits for metal bars. i'm thinking this is gonna be great (dont we always?), and i make him some iron bars. he ends up crafting a gray langur leather thong, with plenty of gray langur stuff, and an iron image of a copper axe on it.
I'm wondering what the hell the neighboring necromancer was thinking when he named his stupid slab "Droolsluts the Anuses of Piss".

prim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20912 on: March 20, 2012, 05:35:47 am »

I have never ever gotten a migrant that wasn't your run-of-the-mill normal guy.
No one-eyed migrant, no dwarf with even one kill.

Seriously, what sort of worlds are you guys embarking on?

well the first world (in the latest version) i made, had me lose to sieges (sometimes up to 40 zombies) before the end of the first year. lost a good 10+ fortresses on that map.

made a second one that is in a golden age, probably what you have. its been three years and not even an attack of any sort. got boring so went back to the first map :)
I'm wondering what the hell the neighboring necromancer was thinking when he named his stupid slab "Droolsluts the Anuses of Piss".

prim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20913 on: March 20, 2012, 05:45:58 am »

yet more development...

thought my fort was safe, have a 20 cage trap long single file entrance. ofcourse a 30 manned undead army shows up. lucky the marksdwarves shot down the remaining 10 while the chaff (everyone militarized) kept em at bay on the single tile line to the fort.

it was too many migrants anyway...

EDIT: Party's over - necromancer snuck in through second route and reanimated my inhouse graveyard, even had cage traps specifically for that, but there were more secret necros than traps :(
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 06:48:07 am by prim »

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #20914 on: March 20, 2012, 07:14:35 am »

I must have horrible ammunition.
Took half of my ammo reserves to bring down a single goblin pikeman.

Well, easy marksdwarf-skill-practice, I guess.

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20915 on: March 20, 2012, 08:02:20 am »

RabblerouserGT, make sure in the Military screen, under Ammunition, that you have different types of bolts assigned for combat and training in your hunters' inventories. Assign bone & wooden bolts for training and metal ones for hunting / combat.

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20916 on: March 20, 2012, 08:03:24 am »

I REALLY hate the water in this damn game. Went through every possible thing and I STILL have stagnant water in my cistern.
I hope this is a bug, and not an intended feature.
The entire process feels like a workaround for a bug rather than a freaking feature.

RabblerouserGT, make sure in the Military screen, under Ammunition, that you have different types of bolts assigned for combat and training in your hunters' inventories. Assign bone & wooden bolts for training and metal ones for hunting / combat.
Did that about halfway through. Still didn't seem to do much.
That and the seigers would start running away as soon as my marksdwarves loosed their arrows.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 08:10:12 am by RabblerouserGT »

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20917 on: March 20, 2012, 08:17:50 am »

After letting in the new migrant wave, bringing my total population to 241 (Now much higher than that, and with a new migrant wave just arriving), I noticed that the very last migrant to walk through my gates was a lowly farmer.

Yet, much like many others, this farmer had some kills under his belt.
Infact, this farmer had 266, Two Hundred Sixty-Six, kills in the Hills of Praising.

This, "quick to recuperate, but very weak", farmer had murdered at least 30 different species of men and women.

All of these kills puts him at the skill of a Professional Hammerdwarf, Expert Shield User, Expert Armor user, and Great Tracker.

He was quickly enlisted as a new militia captain, and in doing such, he decided to drop some of the items he was carrying.
Out of the 115 Items he was carrying, he chooses to drop 2 pages worth of crowns and earrings.

It turns out this this Murderhappy farmer had turned his kills into clothes, and happened to enjoy wearing 100+ crowns, and a couple earrings.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20918 on: March 20, 2012, 08:34:39 am »

RabblerouserGT: The article on the wiki regarding cisterns states that water pumped into one from a stagnant source will only be purified if the destination cistern has never had stagnant water in it before. I took that literally and my well has pure water.
I set it up as so:

Code: [Select]
Water Source (diverted stream from main river, stagnant water, lower floor)
ww~wwwww
ww~wwwww
ww~wwwww
ww~wwwww
ww~wwwww

Pump & Cistern (mid floor, water pure)
wDwwwwww
w...w~~w
w.#pp~~w
wX..w~~w
wwwwwwww

Well (top floor)
wwwwwwww
w......w
w..a.o.w
wX.....w
wwwwwwww

Roof (windmill power)
...M....
...M....
.D.M....

Key:
w: wall
.: floor
a: vertical axle
o: well
~: water
#: grate
pp: screwpump
D: down stair
X: up/down stair

lazygun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20919 on: March 20, 2012, 09:21:50 am »

I just had an amusing failure to deal with my vampires. I had two, that I detected as immigrants, and they were on duty in the second caverns, collecting silk, chopping wood and so on, communicating with the main fort via an airlock.

The Forgotten Beast Sosmil Mithmistatlosh has come!  A great scaly lacewing.  It has four stubby horns and it belches and croaks.  Its pale taupe scales are small and close-set.  Beware its deadly blood!

Sosmil was racing at speed towards my isolated outpost of cavern industry, so I quickly drafted my vamps, whereupon they immediately dropped their pick and axe and were set upon by Sosmil before I could rectify the situation. 'Vamp' Lenotadir punched the beast to death while it was intent on crippling 'Vamp' Keskalonul

The "deadly blood" caused swellings which cleared themselves up, but 'Vamp' Keskalonul has broken hip and shoulder and can neither walk nor grasp.  I decided to create a mini hospital and send an expendable medic through the airlock.  Then, while I was busy dealing with a goblin siege, I forgot to notice that both doors of the airlock were open, releasing the vampires into the main fort.

Onol Rithgim, deepcrafter has been found dead, completely drained of blood!

(Deepcrafter is what I call the dwarves whose job is running the magma kilns)

So I convicted Lenotadir, who was sentenced to a beating. That's when I noticed him hovering over the bed of one of my farmers.I sent a squad to interfere. They just watched the red Ñ. "Yeah, he's a vampire draining the poor guy's blood. So what?" Then the guard captain arrived and started administering the judicial sentence, punching the vampire around. "Do you mind? I'm trying to feed here!". Finally I deconstructed the bed, leaving the poor farmer homeless and pale, but alive. Lenotadir headed back to the site of his first crime, where he found a mechanic who had apparently gone to sleep lying on top of the corpse of her spouse. Again, the squad just watched the crime in progress. This time my dwarves were slow in deconstructing the bed.

Mistem Iridmebzuth, mechanic has been found dead, completely drained of blood!

This time the vampire knew he'd been seen, so he immediately set off to "report crime". I was not fooled and had eyewitness evidence from the squad, so the vamp is now in a cage for the next 250 days.

Meanwhile, the other vampire in a bed in my main hospital keeps spamming me with "`Vamp' Keskalonul, vampire cancels Pickup Equipment: Too injured." twice a second. Really Keskalonul? "Pickup Equipment"? Is that what you call it? I know better now. Let me just build you a private room in the hospital, Very, very private indeed.

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20920 on: March 20, 2012, 10:40:28 am »

RabblerouserGT: The article on the wiki regarding cisterns states that water pumped into one from a stagnant source will only be purified if the destination cistern has never had stagnant water in it before. I took that literally and my well has pure water.
I set it up as so:

Code: [Select]
Water Source (diverted stream from main river, stagnant water, lower floor)
ww~wwwww
ww~wwwww
ww~wwwww
ww~wwwww
ww~wwwww

Pump & Cistern (mid floor, water pure)
wDwwwwww
w...w~~w
w.#pp~~w
wX..w~~w
wwwwwwww

Well (top floor)
wwwwwwww
w......w
w..a.o.w
wX.....w
wwwwwwww

Roof (windmill power)
...M....
...M....
.D.M....

Key:
w: wall
.: floor
a: vertical axle
o: well
~: water
#: grate
pp: screwpump
D: down stair
X: up/down stair
Underground cistern. Never had any water in it before. Phyllite walls and floor. Powered by dwarven reactor.
After further research, I think it was overspill from the reactor.

After letting in the new migrant wave, bringing my total population to 241 (Now much higher than that, and with a new migrant wave just arriving), I noticed that the very last migrant to walk through my gates was a lowly farmer.

Yet, much like many others, this farmer had some kills under his belt.
Infact, this farmer had 266, Two Hundred Sixty-Six, kills in the Hills of Praising.

This, "quick to recuperate, but very weak", farmer had murdered at least 30 different species of men and women.

All of these kills puts him at the skill of a Professional Hammerdwarf, Expert Shield User, Expert Armor user, and Great Tracker.

He was quickly enlisted as a new militia captain, and in doing such, he decided to drop some of the items he was carrying.
Out of the 115 Items he was carrying, he chooses to drop 2 pages worth of crowns and earrings.

It turns out this this Murderhappy farmer had turned his kills into clothes, and happened to enjoy wearing 100+ crowns, and a couple earrings.
You might have a vampire on your hands. Watch out!

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20921 on: March 20, 2012, 10:46:20 am »

I caged a giant cave spider, a troll, a barn owl, a skunk, a kobold and a bat.
Too bad I dropped the kobold in deep water.

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20922 on: March 20, 2012, 10:47:54 am »

This time the vampire knew he'd been seen, so he immediately set off to "report crime". I was not fooled and had eyewitness evidence from the squad, so the vamp is now in a cage for the next 250 days.
Hm. Wonder what would happen if you deconstruct and magma-dump the cage?

Oh, just remembered something odd re: reporting crime:
> Urist McChiken cancels Report crime: interrupted by Gray langur
--> z --> Crime --> "There are no criminals."
WtF?  ??? Did that fool just forget about the crime he witnessed due to being freaked out by a goddamn monkey?
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20923 on: March 20, 2012, 10:50:27 am »

Psychic soldier monkey.
Your dwarf was brain-washed.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #20924 on: March 20, 2012, 11:11:15 am »

Just a little entity raw editing and my dwarfs happily munch on kobold stew.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 ... 1393 1394 [1395] 1396 1397 ... 3842