Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1368 1369 [1370] 1371 1372 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094916 times)

Malarauko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #20535 on: March 11, 2012, 05:42:49 pm »

First artifact is a basalt amulet. Then basalt throne. Then basalt statue. I suspect more basalt may be in the offing.
Dwarf Fortress - Losing is fun.

Morhem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20536 on: March 11, 2012, 05:59:03 pm »

To think that for a moment i thought, that reclaiming undead-infested fort with army of war dogs was great idea.....
Ow yeah, dogs killed the undead. Taking casualities. Heavy. Then they just start getting up... dawn of the dead dogs. This fort is lost. No way to reclaim it now and secure the perimeter, i think.
This day going to be perfect!

daggerbite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Daggerbite
« Reply #20537 on: March 11, 2012, 06:05:53 pm »

In Daggerbite we've

Had a minotaur slain by a very lucky shot from a lucky dwarf
Lost our chief medic Stakebristles, and local psycho Crafttempt to a vampire (>:()
Banished said vampire to the undercaverns (she then wiped out a group of cave swallowmen, bloodily)

Welcome to Daggerbite, a lovely place where we murder and eat magpies.
Killing minotaurs, forgotten beasts and giant cave spiders is all in a days work

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20538 on: March 11, 2012, 06:40:48 pm »

I continue my legacy of not giving a shit about kobolds by shooting them at first sight and leaving them to rot. I don't even take their equipment anymore, just leave them to rot. I'm waiting for the day I can throw them down my chute to hell, so I can finally complete my life goal of throwing my enemies straight into hell.

Guedez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20539 on: March 11, 2012, 06:48:27 pm »

Right before finishing my pyramid ceiling
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
two gobbo sieges, in less than two weeks between then. i think...

Military is made of 3 marksdwarves (my miners). 16 cage traps on the entrance, and two bridges(17 blocks wide).

Got both of the sieges with a dwarf on 'Pull Lever R'. Flying gobbos and their chocobos everywhere raining everywhere

Electrode

• Bay Watcher
  • murmurs horrible curses
    • View Profile
« Reply #20540 on: March 11, 2012, 07:14:47 pm »

This is the island of Cattenmokutigos, "Channelores":

The main problem which will affect this fort's long-term prospects is going to be framerate. It was running at about 45 FPS at embark, went up to ~88 after I disabled temperature. I forget how large the embark area was, it's something like 8x9. The actual grid size is 432x480 tiles. Bringing my poor little 16-core 3 GHz Opteron to its knees! ???

The lack of any land at the edges means no invaders, no migrants, no liaison and no caravans. I am truly on my own here. Unfortunately, I didn't bring an anvil with me, so I'm SOL for metalworking (unless I hack one in somehow, which I just might).

With nothing else to really do here, I'm thinking of building a massive lighthouse. I've got some masons churning out blocks as we speak. My question to you, fellow overlords, is: what should I use for the "light"?

AfroScotsDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • AfroScotsDwarf, the scotish cyclops with a thirst
    • View Profile
« Reply #20541 on: March 11, 2012, 07:27:45 pm »

This is the island of Cattenmokutigos, "Channelores":

The main problem which will affect this fort's long-term prospects is going to be framerate. It was running at about 45 FPS at embark, went up to ~88 after I disabled temperature. I forget how large the embark area was, it's something like 8x9. The actual grid size is 432x480 tiles. Bringing my poor little 16-core 3 GHz Opteron to its knees! ???

The lack of any land at the edges means no invaders, no migrants, no liaison and no caravans. I am truly on my own here. Unfortunately, I didn't bring an anvil with me, so I'm SOL for metalworking (unless I hack one in somehow, which I just might).

With nothing else to really do here, I'm thinking of building a massive lighthouse. I've got some masons churning out blocks as we speak. My question to you, fellow overlords, is: what should I use for the "light"?
utilize magma, ofcourse
"i would rather consume nutrition which has become FUKIN MAED GON HOT BY DA FIRE." Edward on hot food
 ಠ_ೃ

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20542 on: March 11, 2012, 08:18:05 pm »

My question to you, fellow overlords, is: what should I use for the "light"?

I've heard rumors of creatures composed of pure flame dwelling deep in the bowels of the earth.  Maybe something like that would be appropriate?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Electrode

• Bay Watcher
  • murmurs horrible curses
    • View Profile
« Reply #20543 on: March 11, 2012, 08:48:43 pm »

I've heard rumors of creatures composed of pure flame dwelling deep in the bowels of the earth.  Maybe something like that would be appropriate?

I find your ideas intriguing, and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Anyway, I think I may have a solution to the geographically-induced trade embargo issue:

It'll be a year before I know for sure. It does seem to be letting critters on and off the island..
Edit: Nope, autumn came and went with no visitors. Oh well, on with the project!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 10:20:15 pm by Electrode »

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
  • ETHIC:NONBELIEVER:SHUN
    • View Profile
« Reply #20544 on: March 11, 2012, 10:38:28 pm »

CURRENTLY IN MY FIRST SIEGE!
GOT A BALLISTA AND CATAPAULT AT MY BRIDGE!

D: But they darned group isn't moving!

EDIT: IT'S COMING! I'M PUMPED! LET'S DO THIS!

EDIT 2: Plan was to open the bridge, then close it when the goblins started coming, effectively dividing them into managable groups. Working so far, with minimal loses.

EDIT 3: Drafting lots of others. TIME FOR A BATTLE ROYAL!
This will be plenty of fun.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 11:23:49 pm by RabblerouserGT »

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!
My dwarf worships the goddess of suicide. This can only bode well.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20545 on: March 11, 2012, 11:23:32 pm »

What's going on in my fort...

587 years old, eh?

« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 11:50:58 pm by Farmerbob »
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20546 on: March 11, 2012, 11:26:20 pm »

WHAT THE HELL!
The seige disappear then came back!

Is there a freaking time limit for seiges lest it reset?

..and then the child Praiseincest shall be dipped in the river of Pregnantjuices! Rejoice! The son of Armok has been born!

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #20547 on: March 11, 2012, 11:34:06 pm »

I'm seriously worried about the toddlers of my fortress.
First, it was a two year old making an artifact ear-ring;
Now, a three year old has bashed together an artifact water buffalo bone cage, as well as becoming a legendary bone carver.

What next?

Better news from the pastures, the pet eagle has successfully incubated her eggs and we have two more feathered menaces to care for.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

RabblerouserGT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20548 on: March 11, 2012, 11:50:53 pm »

Shit went down at the fortress:

Adventure mode? Or should I soldier on with what little I have left.

wanzerm23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • 6 plus - I play too many video games
« Reply #20549 on: March 11, 2012, 11:59:07 pm »

Wow...

You are going to need some serious soap to get those stains out.
Pages: 1 ... 1368 1369 [1370] 1371 1372 ... 3842